Author Topic: RS-07 Retro Arcade Mini (JZ4760B) Custom Firmware  (Read 172128 times)

gameblabla (OP)

RS-07 Retro Arcade Mini (JZ4760B) Custom Firmware
« on: November 03, 2018, 04:42:06 pm »
Here it is, the Useless CFW for the Retro Arcade Mini.
What it does ? It  replaces the firmware on the Arcade Mini, with several enhancements compared to it.

It supports more emulators, has better performance, also supports USB sticks, supports external joysticks without disabling onboard buttons, fixes some kernel issues and more !

Also please don't use the Pymenu version out there !
Not only do they come with roms, which i don't condone, but they also don't support features like mounting USB sticks & TV Out.
So please don't use it.

What's inside

Code: [Select]
Emulators :
PocketSNES, Handy, Oswan, FCEUX, FBA-A320, SMS_SDL, GPSP, Picodrive, PCSX4ALL, Speccy, BK Elektronica, PokeMini and Vice.
Games :
Quake, Quake 2, ECWolf, Puzzletube, Snowman, Wizznic, Ganbare, Cannonball, Cave Story.
Apps :
Dingoo Commander, Glutexto, Mplayer.

Download
Latest : Version 1.33.4
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ijsU6wQaaEqGxS-5OiQ7zfI1ztwc_w4h

Changelog

Code: [Select]
Version 1.33.4
This is a minor revision that fixes a kernel issue with TV Out.

Version 1.33
- Fullscreen FBA. It should also run a little faster too.
- Updated Handy : Fixes issues in Klax & Gauntlet. Runs faster too at lower clock speeds.
- Updated SMS Plus GX :  Fixed a number of issues, too many to list.

Version 1.32
- Switched from FAT32 to NTFS.
- Updated PCSX4ALL to part4.
- Supports for multiple usb sticks. (now mounted at /mnt)

Version 1.31
- Fixed kernel issue with LCD screen on black levels
- Updated GmenuNx. Addressed TV Out confusion
- Added BK Elektronika, Pokemon Mini emulators
- Fixed Quake 2 link file
- Updated Quake 1 port.

Version 1.3 :
- Issue with FAT32 partition not showing up should be fixed.
- Port of Quake 2. (Also takes advantage of the higher resolution)
- SMS Plus GX has some underhood changes, in addition to one more upscaler available. (fullscreen)
- Handy was also updated and should sound better than the previous build.
- PCSX4ALL was updated too, now using the newer mips part3 recompiler. (part4 still introduces bugs with save states unfortunately, need to bisect)
- PocketSNES also has now "Keep aspect" upscaler available. (Was provided as a separate package but is now part of the CFW)

Version 1.2 :
- Added PCSX4ALL. Note that external controllers aren't supported yet.
- Fixed issues with save states on ECWolf.
- Fixed USB mounting, now works out of the box.
- Fixed crashes on Quake
- Fixed crashes when enabling sound on Vice

Version 1.1
- Addition of Picodrive. It runs pretty fast and upscales both 40 & 32 columns games.
Master system games might not get upscaled properly, use SMS_SDL for those.
- Speccy runs much faster now. Bringing up the menu no longer slows it down.
- Mplayer now replaces ffplay. Mplayer has much faster rendering code than ffplay.
Still, make sure to convert your videos to 480x272 resolution so Mplayer doesn't have to rescale.
- TV Out is now usable... sorta. Due to a hardware flaw preventing detection,
a prompt upon bootup will ask you to activate it instead.
- Oswan is a bit more stable. However, some games can still glitch the menu so be careful...
I hope i can properly fix this in the future.
- Support for mounting USB sticks. It could be useful for extra Roms.
- Some minor performance improvements across most apps.

Known issues:

Custom firmware
  • Most games don't properly support external controllers. You need to map them in Ecwolf. Wizznic kinda works, and Snowman & Puzzletube also support them but poorly.
  • PCSX4ALL doesn't support external controllers yet.
  • You can't use external controllers in Handy in the menu. Use the onboard buttons for that.

Hardware flaws
  • TV Out : It is incapable of detecting if the TV out cable is plugged in. A workaround has been implemented and will be refined later.
  • Micro USB port : Data pin isn't working as it was shorted on this device. Thus, you can only use it for charging. (no UDC)

Installation
You need to remove the 4 screws behind the 4 feet and open it up carefully.
Take the internal sdcard (hidden behind some foam) and flash it with Etcher. (it's the same process as Useless-RS97)
Then put everything back together.

Source code
https://github.com/arcade-mini

Kernel source code (without IPU NDA code) :
https://github.com/arcade-mini/ArcadeMini-Kernel-NoNDA
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:43:39 am by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

blackz1982

Re: Custom Firmware for the Retro Arcade Mini
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 06:46:35 pm »
Changes in rootfs were in comparison with rs-97?

odjinan

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:12:35 pm »
A great custom firmware! 

sticky time!

I've use a different method to open the retro arcade mini by removing the main screen but its not a safe method! I didnt see the screw, i'll do your way next time ;)

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 07:18:05 pm »
Changes in rootfs were in comparison with rs-97?
Little to none. At first i wanted to make some changes but i decided not to. Plus i encountered some issues with a fully statically linked rootfs. Oh well...
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

cloudstr

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:14:25 pm »
Thank you gameblabla.  I wonder if this firmware is compatible with PAP Gameta II ? This handheld has a second analog stick but was poorly mapped on stock firmware..

Anyway, I'm very happy with the porting process. :)

ace9094

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:12:13 pm »
Great work... Thank You... I guess its flashed in the same manor as the RS-97 ?

So a few questions if I may...

Do I need to open the Arcade Mini and remove the SD Card to flash the firmware or will it run from external?
If it does not run from external, are you planning to release an external version?
And finally... Would PyMenu run on this?

Thanks again for the effort you have put in to this release :)
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 09:46:06 pm »
Great work... Thank You... I guess its flashed in the same manor as the RS-97 ?
So a few questions if I may...

Do I need to open the Arcade Mini and remove the SD Card to flash the firmware or will it run from external?
If it does not run from external, are you planning to release an external version?
And finally... Would PyMenu run on this?
Thanks again for the effort you have put in to this release :)
No external version planned for this, because then it would mean not being able to use the external slot for roms...
especially on Windows. Believe me, it's much less of a pain if it's internal only for that reason alone.
Pymenu won't run on it, because python is not part of the rootfs. This could be added later though... it's not final yet.

Thank you gameblabla.  I wonder if this firmware is compatible with PAP Gameta II ? This handheld has a second analog stick but was poorly mapped on stock firmware..
Anyway, I'm very happy with the porting process. :)
No, it's not but the binaries themselves are. I just need to use the kernel from the PAP K3 Plus and the Gameta to port it over.
⚠ WARNING ⚠

blackz1982

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 10:09:59 pm »
First Impression on Pap k3 plus
https://youtu.be/xmHJ4KDQDxQ

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk

cloudstr

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 09:32:07 am »

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk

Very cool :) May I ask how are the emulators (GBA, MD, SNES, NES) perform on the new firmware, compare to the stock firmware of K3? Very appreciated if you can record a video for it, thank a lot!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:45:03 pm by cloudstr »

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 01:55:45 pm »
I was about to provide an image for the PAP K3 Plus but looks like you beat me to it, haha...
Btw, Cannonball requires the Outrun roms extracted in .cannonball/roms. It won't run without them. (though it should go back to Gmenu instead of crashing...)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:58:41 pm by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠

darkwesley

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 04:12:15 pm »
Great job. ;D
There is not the PC Engine emulator, I saw that running add on the external SD and a lot of games work rather well.

ace9094

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 07:18:21 pm »
Here is a new ICO file to replace the RS-97 one :)

https://mega.nz/#!TFJXxQrS!Kp2lKy2LqDpxvCV71lTv0xe8Ht-YscJJ1noKo1pzyJU

Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

ace9094

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 08:44:45 pm »
Hi Gameblabla

Just finished copying my rom files to the SD Card, then I will reassemble the unit and give it a try :)

I aas wondering, If you release another version of the CFW with PSX and other additions will there be a new Image file and Service Pack for those who already have the CFW?

Enjoy, i need to (properly) port PCSX4ALL, Temper and Picodrive to that thing. Not any time soon though.
Im sure people will be happy with this release regardless.... FBA is the main thing :)

Thanks again !
ace
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:11:50 pm by ace9094 »

ace9094

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 09:24:55 pm »
Hi Folks....

So... I have installed the CFW, Copied across all my games, but when I try to start any application / emulator etc I get the following happen for each button press:

A Button: Launches Settings
B Button: Starts to explore folders
Y Button: Nothing Happens
X Button: Nothing Happens
L Button: Scroll side menu up
R Button: Scroll side menu down
Start Button: Nothing Happens
Select Button: Edit Menu for selected application / emulator

Anyone have any idea how to fix it with out reflashing?

OK I messed this up I think... I have created a ROMS partition with the extra unused space on the SD Card and put all my games in there...  Unfortunately I cannot navigate to it :(

I will have to start again :( If I expand the partition with all the Emulators on etc and create a roms folder on there will that work? I can confirm that expanding the GMenu partition to 14GB on the Stock 16GB SD Card works... I created a "ROMS" folder and it see's all the titles fine :)

For anyone wondering I used Mini Partition Wizard which is free  ;)

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:53:16 am by ace9094 »

VanZan

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 09:39:15 pm »
B Button takes you to the file browser where you need to navigate to your roms folder and select a rom.

ace9094

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 09:41:01 pm »
B Button takes you to the file browser where you need to navigate to your roms folder and select a rom.

Arh... Right... Ill give it a shot... I was navigating to the DGE file  :o

procyon

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 03:53:58 am »
Thanks so much for working on this gameblabla.  I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow, but I wanted to ask something before I do.  I'm seriously not trying to sound ungrateful, I'm just trying to understand what I'm installing.  It sounds like if I use this, I will lose the ability to emulate GBA and Genesis, is that correct?  Is it possible to add emulators to this through self-installation?  Or are we limited to the emulators supplied by the CFW?  If it is possible, what is the source for such emulators?  Thanks very much for the help.

darkwesley

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 12:02:48 pm »
Thanks so much for working on this gameblabla.  I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow, but I wanted to ask something before I do.  I'm seriously not trying to sound ungrateful, I'm just trying to understand what I'm installing.  It sounds like if I use this, I will lose the ability to emulate GBA and Genesis, is that correct?  Is it possible to add emulators to this through self-installation?  Or are we limited to the emulators supplied by the CFW?  If it is possible, what is the source for such emulators?  Thanks very much for the help.
I installed it yesterday, and for the GBA it works better than in the original firmware, for the Genesis we can not play it or so I do not find how to do it. The Snes emulator works much better, we see the difference on Mario Kart.

I can also play SMS, before I could not. It's really promising even if it's not perfect, but I find it better than the original.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 06:37:39 pm »
It sounds like if I use this, I will lose the ability to emulate GBA and Genesis, is that correct?  Is it possible to add emulators to this through self-installation?  Or are we limited to the emulators supplied by the CFW?  If it is possible, what is the source for such emulators?  Thanks very much for the help.
There's GPSP for GBA games so you still get that. Genesis, i need to port Picodrive over to the RS-07. That has not been done yet.
Same for Temper and PCSX4ALL.
It will come in the future but i'm just burnt out rn...

Also, yeah, i changed GmenuNx's input layout and it's for the better i think, though it is different from the RS-97's one.
⚠ WARNING ⚠

naxeras

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 06:39:31 pm »
I tried to run Pymenu and its working after add to /mnt/int_sd, but seems like the image is scaled for 320x240 image.

I?m put a usb keyboard on the device and its works!!!

@gameblabla

It is possible start a bash terminal for simplify launch commands?

Post a new topic