Author Topic: RS-07 Retro Arcade Mini (JZ4760B) Custom Firmware  (Read 18316 times)

JHale

Re: Custom Firmware for the Retro Arcade Mini
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2018, 02:33:52 pm »
We are just missing Mame4All and PicoDrive for this to be better than the original firmware.

ace9094

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2018, 12:45:30 am »
We are just missing Mame4All and PicoDrive for this to be better than the original firmware.

I gotta disagree a little... It would be great to Pico Drive and Mame would be nice but FBA is fine :) I would like to see the GCW Version of FBA as it supports Street Fighter II Shen Long v7 by Drakon... PSX would be nice to but...

AS IT IS... The CFW is MILES better than the stock firmware, the emulation is AWFUL for me on stock firmware, This CFW is awesome :)
Dingoo x2, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, PSP Go, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

JHale

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2018, 05:39:18 pm »

I gotta disagree a little... It would be great to Pico Drive and Mame would be nice but FBA is fine :) I would like to see the GCW Version of FBA as it supports Street Fighter II Shen Long v7 by Drakon... PSX would be nice to but...

AS IT IS... The CFW is MILES better than the stock firmware, the emulation is AWFUL for me on stock firmware, This CFW is awesome :)

Without MAME you get no pac-man, Donkey Kong, TMNT, Simpsons, etc... MAME is very important..

procyon

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2018, 09:50:20 pm »
I apologize in advance, but at the risk of being "that guy," is there any update on progress for the CFW?  Just curious, would love to know how things are going and what to look forward to.  Thanks for the hard work.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2018, 10:28:11 pm »
I apologize in advance, but at the risk of being "that guy," is there any update on progress for the CFW?  Just curious, would love to know how things are going and what to look forward to.  Thanks for the hard work.
Nothing right now. I did not bother with MAME because it's very slow on the RS-97 as it is and i refuse to work with that mess.
Slaneesh said he was working on a revamp of it, like 3 months ago but i'm not holding my breath for it...
However, Tony is making some progress towards IPU support and he managed to make it work.
Pingflood further confirmed this with his own findings (but noticed it got slower in PocketSNES for some reasons, strange).
So yeah, given that most arcade games uses a bunch of weird resolutions, i prefer waiting on tony adding support for the Arcade Mini's LCD panel to the kernel so we also get IPU there.

I'm working on trying to port SRB2 Kart to the RS-97 and RS-07. Nothing as of right now though.

ace9094

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2018, 12:56:53 am »
Nothing right now. I did not bother with MAME because it's very slow on the RS-97 as it is and i refuse to work with that mess.
Slaneesh said he was working on a revamp of it, like 3 months ago but i'm not holding my breath for it...
However, Tony is making some progress towards IPU support and he managed to make it work.
Pingflood further confirmed this with his own findings (but noticed it got slower in PocketSNES for some reasons, strange).
So yeah, given that most arcade games uses a bunch of weird resolutions, i prefer waiting on tony adding support for the Arcade Mini's LCD panel to the kernel so we also get IPU there.

I'm working on trying to port SRB2 Kart to the RS-97 and RS-07. Nothing as of right now though.

Thank you for the update... as always, greatly appreciated my friend
Dingoo x2, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, PSP Go, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2019, 09:10:27 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9qqqDm7TQw
So i decided to resume working on it and i took a different approach this time.
In the case of Picodrive, i had to hack it a bit so it would display the games at their native resolutions then upscale it as fast as possible.
But i didn't want to be too invasive source code wise so i made a library inspired by sdlfix to do all of that from a shared library that intercepts the video call. When IPU support will get added in the future, it will be a simple matter of removing said library.

Here's the changelog for the upcoming version :
Code: [Select]
- Addition of Picodrive. It runs pretty fast and upscales both 40 & 32 columns games.
Master system games might not get upscaled properly, use SMS_SDL for those.
- Speccy runs much faster now. Bringing up the menu no longer slows it down.
- TV Out is now usable... sorta. Due to a hardware flaw preventing detection,
a prompt upon bootup will ask you to activate it instead.
- Support for mounting USB sticks. It could be useful for extra Roms.
- Some minor performance improvements across most apps.

blackz1982

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2019, 12:23:20 am »
Thanks a lot gameblabla. Sdlfix it works, then pcsx4all in fullscreen.

odjinan

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2019, 11:16:33 am »
congrats gameblabla for the hard work!

@others:  dont ask for ETA thanks  ::)

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2019, 04:06:17 pm »
Alright, i have released my new update to the CFW.
So what is new ?

The main addition of course is Picodrive, the Genesis/Sega CD emulator. (it also emulates the 32X and SVP chip but it's way too slow for those so forget it)
There are no scaling options though, it upscales to the whole screen. The good news though is that 256x224(240) video mode is also supported, so no black bars here either.

There's also rudimentary support for TV Out. Note that due to a hardware flaw, it cannot be detected if it's plugged in unlike the RS-97 so a prompt will appear asking you to enable TV Out instead when you boot up.

There's also untested support for flash sticks but it doesn't work from the menu yet.
Launch the file in /mnt/int_sd/apps/usb/usb and it will mount your USB key.

The rootfs was updated, the main addition being musl 1.1.21, which has fixed a number of MIPS specific bugs since then. The main compiler was also upgraded. Unfortunately, there are some issues so some emulators (PocketSNES, FBA) are still older binaries.

Speccy was recompiled with profiling and a statically linked toolchain, it now can handle bringing up the menu without slowing down to a crawl.
Vice was also updated to a slightly newer version. Note that version 3.0+ dropped support for OpenDingux so the 2.4 versions are the last for it.

FFplay got replaced by Mplayer. Mplayer is a frontend to ffmpeg and it has much faster rendering code than ffplay.
As a result, it  can handle more troublesome videos at a faster rate. 720p videos can even be played back (with fast decode on, still not smooth though).
Note that for best results and to avoid rescaling, make sure to rescale all of your videos to 480x272.

Oswan could become glitched in some cases and on some games. This was partially fixed as it no longer crashes but part of the menu no longer operates temporarily unless you exit the emulator. Hopefully i can take a closer look at it later, the code is a mess.

SMS_SDL got slightly faster and it now uses the non-commercial z80 cpu core. This means that games like Dizzy can be played properly now.

Also guys, just saying : I got the kernel source code for the Arcade Mini. Unfortunately, there's some proprietary code in there that cannot be possibly shared so welp. This CFW makes use of it but there are no substantial changes right now.

Download link is in the first post. Enjoy and report the bugs you may encounter.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:37:17 am by gameblabla »

greasehoot

« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2019, 04:56:44 pm »
Thank you for working on this device Gameblabla. I love it and am excited for any developments on it, substantial or not. Although I consider adding picodrive a substantial improvement! I love you man!

Nikojiro

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2019, 10:28:30 am »
But i didn't want to be too invasive source code wise so i made a library inspired by sdlfix to do all of that from a shared library that intercepts the video call. When IPU support will get added in the future, it will be a simple matter of removing said library.

It's great to have you back! Would the same approach work on FBA?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2019, 11:14:03 am »
Yes, but for best performance and resolution quality, the source code to FBA would need to be modified as to allow games with a variety of resolutions to set the resolution to their native resolution. Said library will then scale it up to fullscreen.
Doing it the lazy way would waste performance and make it look worse than it should right now.

Note that i am encountering issues with the toolchain : C++ projects like FBA or PocketSNES no longer runs on the device.
This might get solved with the next release of GCC (either 9 or 8.2, but it looks like it won't be until April).

Thank you for working on this device Gameblabla. I love it and am excited for any developments on it, substantial or not. Although I consider adding picodrive a substantial improvement! I love you man!
Aww that's cute, thanks.

That vice bug is bothering me a bit so an update might be available later. EDIT: I actually had fixed it before release, pfiou. So no issues with VICE then.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:34:35 am by gameblabla »

blackz1982

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2019, 01:55:10 pm »
Note that i am encountering issues with the toolchain : C++ projects like FBA or PocketSNES no longer runs on the device.
This might get solved with the next release of GCC (either 9 or 8.2, but it looks like it won't be until April).

May be return back on gcc 7.3 in new build.

joishere

« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2019, 02:55:06 pm »
Yes, but for best performance and resolution quality, the source code to FBA would need to be modified as to allow games with a variety of resolutions to set the resolution to their native resolution. Said library will then scale it up to fullscreen.
Doing it the lazy way would waste performance and make it look worse than it should right now.

Aww that's cute, thanks.

That vice bug is bothering me a bit so an update might be available later. EDIT: I actually had fixed it before release, pfiou. So no issues with VICE then.

Thanks for your work.
I have no sound in Vice.
When I enabled Sound in Vice Options, the emulator quit.
Can you help ?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2019, 07:41:04 pm »
Thanks for your work.
I have no sound in Vice.
Can you help ?
Hmm, i have a new build with sound enabled and the emulator does not exit and works fine, so i guess i'll provide said updated binary next update.
I realized that Quake's executable was mistakenly renamed in last update and also has crashing issues. I have fixed that but it will be made available next update.

I switched back to GCC 7.3 and still nothing. But going back to my older buildroot fixed it.
That made me realize that some additional packages were not used in my newer buildroot. So guess i'll find the eventual culprit.
(i think it's either libsgc++ or binutils 2.31.1 causing issues)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:44:10 pm by gameblabla »

blackz1982

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2019, 07:43:52 pm »
In wolfenshtein dont work save.

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk

joishere

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2019, 08:13:27 pm »
Thanks for your work.
I have no sound in Vice.
Can you help ?
Hmm, i have a new build with sound enabled and the emulator does not exit and works fine, so i guess i'll provide said updated binary next update.
I realized that Quake's executable was mistakenly renamed in last update and also has crashing issues. I have fixed that but it will be made available next update.

I switched back to GCC 7.3 and still nothing. But going back to my older buildroot fixed it.
That made me realize that some additional packages were not used in my newer buildroot. So guess i'll find the eventual culprit.
(i think it's either libsgc++ or binutils 2.31.1 causing issues)
Thank you  :)
Is it possible to have ZX Spectrum with a 4/3 ratio ?
I haven't found any option for that.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2019, 02:43:55 am »
Thanks for letting me know. ECWolf makes a lot of assumption and that pisses me off.
It expects the folders .local/share to exist and if they don't, it errors out.
Really dumb, i only found out about this until now.
Change the file content's (games/ecwolf/run.dge) to this .
#!/bin/sh
SOURCE="$1"
DIR="$( cd -P "$( dirname "$SOURCE" )" && pwd )"
if [ ! -d "/mnt/int_sd/.local" ]; then
# If .local doesn't exist, create it since it is needed for savegames
mkdir /mnt/int_sd/.local
mkdir /mnt/int_sd/.local/share
mkdir /mnt/int_sd/.local/screenshots
mkdir /mnt/int_sd/.local/savegames
fi
./ecwolf "$DIR"
And savestates will now work. Next update will fix this.

No, there's no option for that. It's possible for me to add it but it's not a priority for now.

I'm working on the next update, which should come out shortly.
I've looked at how PCSX4ALL performed on the Arcade Mini with the upscale code and it turns out the drop is only like 1~2 FPS compared to 320x240, which is reasonable and it still beats the current RS-97 version.
So i decided to add it because i am **tired** of the constant whining and the fact that people would rather go back to the shitty stock firmware with horrible performance. Really

Note that this does not make use of external controllers yet : I've yet to decide on whenever i should just support Dualshock PS3 controllers or the stock controllers with no analog sticks.

I've fixed ECwolf's issues with saves, MPlayer got slightly faster, Quake crashes got fixed, USB mounting is now working as intended (let me know if there are still issues), and Vice now has working sound output without it crashing horribly...
I will also upload another video showing the progress, stay tuned.

EDIT: Now released, get version 1.2 in the first post.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:51:12 am by gameblabla »

naxeras

« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2019, 12:01:59 pm »
Thanks for letting me know. ECWolf makes a lot of assumption and that pisses me off.
It expects the folders .local/share to exist and if they don't, it errors out.
Really dumb, i only found out about this until now.
Change the file content's (games/ecwolf/run.dge) to this .
#!/bin/sh
SOURCE="$1"
DIR="$( cd -P "$( dirname "$SOURCE" )" && pwd )"
if [ ! -d "/mnt/int_sd/.local" ]; then
# If .local doesn't exist, create it since it is needed for savegames
mkdir /mnt/int_sd/.local
mkdir /mnt/int_sd/.local/share
mkdir /mnt/int_sd/.local/screenshots
mkdir /mnt/int_sd/.local/savegames
fi
./ecwolf "$DIR"
And savestates will now work. Next update will fix this.

No, there's no option for that. It's possible for me to add it but it's not a priority for now.

I'm working on the next update, which should come out shortly.
I've looked at how PCSX4ALL performed on the Arcade Mini with the upscale code and it turns out the drop is only like 1~2 FPS compared to 320x240, which is reasonable and it still beats the current RS-97 version.
So i decided to add it because i am **tired** of the constant whining and the fact that people would rather go back to the shitty stock firmware with horrible performance. Really

Note that this does not make use of external controllers yet : I've yet to decide on whenever i should just support Dualshock PS3 controllers or the stock controllers with no analog sticks.

I've fixed ECwolf's issues with saves, MPlayer got slightly faster, Quake crashes got fixed, USB mounting is now working as intended (let me know if there are still issues), and Vice now has working sound output without it crashing horribly...
I will also upload another video showing the progress, stay tuned.

EDIT: Now released, get version 1.2 in the first post.

Thank you for you work.

I will check asap.

FBA runs at full screen now?

Regards.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic