Author Topic: Custom firmware for pap-gameta II?  (Read 6707 times)

Ryguyx (OP)

Custom firmware for pap-gameta II?
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:46:56 pm »
recently purchased a pap-gameta II and wondered if there was any custom firmware for it similar to dingoo. Very new to this and in over my head.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:48:54 pm by Ryguyx »

dmitry_smagin

Re: Custom firmware for pap-gameta II?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 09:34:16 am »
Most probably the answer is NO. Sorry to discourage you.
Custom firmware can't appear from nowhere and usually chinese manufacturers don't give any information about hardware and firmware. Check this handheld description on aliexpress for example and there's marketing bullshit usually.
What's known for sure,  most pre-android chinese handhelds are based on some ARM soc and use eCos variant as an operating system. No firmware is given for unbricking or modifying, and Dingoo was a rare exception in this regard.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:37:59 am by dmitry_smagin »
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

Ryguyx (OP)

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 10:46:33 pm »
Thank you for the response! The dingoo a320 was the only prior one I dealt with so I guess I was expecting something similar. Decided to just put some custom firmware on my old psp and now see that that's the way better option. Thanks again tho I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me!!!

Vert

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 02:16:25 am »
ive had some success running dingoo a320/DINGUX apps on the pap gameta II Plus.

pap gameta ii plus firmware V3.1224.img
Firmware Layout
partition 1 = the linux base OS
partition 2 = the apps storage space
partition 3 = configuration storage
partition 4 = fat32 storage - this you would add manualy.

pap gameta ii RC1.img
Most selector menus are no longer limited by file extention
Fat32 partition with roms & other emulators
Removed unused themes only english support
Ongoing testing still in progress

Downloads: Work Folder
(Warning) Backup your original sdcard img before flashing anything just in case.
Both sd card slots support up to 32GB cards.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:36:28 pm by Vert »

DKL3

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 05:25:37 pm »
The resize for the FAT32 partition doesn't work. Why?

Oh nevermind, i had to unmount in gparted first, sorry

Vert

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:24:19 pm »
i have a working copy im working on still im changing the menu and cleaning up alot of garbage from the firmware should have something to post in a few days.

i have  found several semi working apps that do run on the device all dingoo bases apps.
psx - it opened and loaded the bios but would just hang at the playstation logo
atari - opened and shows menu i dident have any roms to test it didnt fill the screen either

some other things i  fiddled with.
i been messing with dmenu cleaning it up and ive been thinking about using the dmenu from CFW it has more features and looks better.
i really dont like the coolmenu the games that scroll on the top take up well over 100mb of space and they cant be changed easy i plan to remove it completly my current test build has only 1 listed game as a place holder its a 32kb nes game.
cleaning up the emulator select menu there where 3 that are used twice when there was no need i combined GBC & GB - SMS & GG - CPS - NEOGEO as well as added the file extentions to the MD as it should also play sega cd.
been thinking of maybe removing the sub folders from the game folder so you can just drop roms in the game folder since the selector only shows the extentions for that system.

so many things i been fiddling with but thats some.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:50:16 pm by Vert »

onthebridge

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 08:56:15 am »
i have a working copy im working on still im changing the menu and cleaning up alot of garbage from the firmware should have something to post in a few days.

i have  found several semi working apps that do run on the device all dingoo bases apps.
psx - it opened and loaded the bios but would just hang at the playstation logo
atari - opened and shows menu i dident have any roms to test it didnt fill the screen either

some other things i  fiddled with.
i been messing with dmenu cleaning it up and ive been thinking about using the dmenu from CFW it has more features and looks better.
i really dont like the coolmenu the games that scroll on the top take up well over 100mb of space and they cant be changed easy i plan to remove it completly my current test build has only 1 listed game as a place holder its a 32kb nes game.
cleaning up the emulator select menu there where 3 that are used twice when there was no need i combined GBC & GB - SMS & GG - CPS - NEOGEO as well as added the file extentions to the MD as it should also play sega cd.
been thinking of maybe removing the sub folders from the game folder so you can just drop roms in the game folder since the selector only shows the extentions for that system.

so many things i been fiddling with but thats some.
That is awesome man :D would this work also for the PAP KIII plus and for the rs97? Is it possible to substitute the default emulator for others?

Vert

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:59:13 am »
That is awesome man :D would this work also for the PAP KIII plus and for the rs97? Is it possible to substitute the default emulator for others?
[/quote]

i dont own a pap kiii or rs97 i would need to dig in to them and see whats going on under there hood to give any info.

onthebridge

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 11:10:51 am »
The three of them share the same processor, are dingux based and are from the same brand so the firmware might be similar. Here there is a copy of the firmware of the PAP KIII plus in case you are curious or can help you https://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/pap-kiii-plus-(dingux-480x272-screen)/msg171940/#msg171940

The official website is here: http://www.ylmchina.com/en/product.asp?id=1,1,11

Vert

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 11:42:54 am »
The three of them share the same processor, are dingux based and are from the same brand so the firmware might be similar. Here there is a copy of the firmware of the PAP KIII plus in case you are curious or can help you https://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/pap-kiii-plus-(dingux-480x272-screen)/msg171940/#msg171940

The official website is here: http://www.ylmchina.com/en/product.asp?id=1,1,11

downloading the img will check it out and see if my pap kii will boot it also.
pap kiii firmware boots on the kii the button layout is not right if i can find the button config i can move it from the kii to the kiii and test more.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:39:55 pm by Vert »

Jack83

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 12:59:04 pm »
I just compared the both firmware files: My backup of the K3P and the beta update from this thread. They are mostly identical! Whats different is the dmenu. The K3P dmenu is newer/different build, but the theme config of the beta update has the later timestamp.

The Rootfs is also identical. You don't gain anything by flashing, I would try my dmenu with the rzx50 emulators I posted in the other thread

onthebridge

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 01:04:24 pm »
The plot thickens with these dingux gadgets :D

In the op of the rs97?s thread there is also a lot of information about the JZ4760 processor.  There you can see also that snesfan is trying to port opendingux to it in case you are interested

https://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/revo-k101-shell-used-in-another-device/

Vert

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 01:27:30 pm »
out of the box kiii boots on a kii but the buttons are all wrong so i grabed the dmenu and copyed it over device fails to boot copy the kiii menu back it boots again if i can find the button config it might be possible to have it ask the device what it is and select a button layout allowing a unifyed custom firmware for kii & kiii.

DKL3

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 01:31:03 pm »
I wonder if this is on-topic but if you look below, you'll see this PAP Gameta II has a totally different firmware. Does anybody know about this one?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAMXh0tZTgM

Vert

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 01:39:36 pm »
I wonder if this is on-topic but if you look below, you'll see this PAP Gameta II has a totally different firmware. Does anybody know about this one?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAMXh0tZTgM
thats still dmenu its just been reskined all the things shown are all in dmenu many things are disabled.
i wouldnt mind getting under the hood with a copy of that firmware.
i have gotten the dmenu from Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" to work on my kii before.
i think the only major change i would need to do to that firmware is move the first partition to have 8.4mb unallocated before the first partition to match the boot sector.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht3LUsfvFTs" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht3LUsfvFTs</a>
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:47:33 pm by Vert »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic