• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Change Boot Screen - Pocket Go  (Read 772 times)

ace9094 (OP)

Change Boot Screen - Pocket Go
« on: March 08, 2020, 07:18:21 pm »
I found this tutorial on reddit for the changing the boot logo... I take NO CREDIT for this.... NOTE this is for the Pocket Go NOT Pocket Go 2

IMPORTANT - This is done at your own risk !!!

Tutorial: Setting custom boot splash screen on the Pocket Go

Hi there! This tutorial will show you how to customize your Pocket Go's boot screen (the image you see after turning on your handheld). It isn't as simple as drag'n'dropping an image file onto the microSD card but instead requires a few extra tools and involves some risk (if done incorrectly, may corrupt data on the microSD card), so please read this post carefully and do not skip any of the steps.

As for compatibility of this method, I tested it on Pocket Go CFW v1.2, v1.3 and v1.3.1 and it worked fine for me. If a new CFW release rolls out I'll update this post. I don't own any vertical Bittboys so I can't tell if this method is compatible with them!

Without any further ado, let's get started!

What you would need:

Windows PC

microSD card with a Pocket Go CFW already on it

ffmpeg (download the static build for your architecture, unpack the archive, enter the bin folder and copy ffmpeg.exe to C:\Windows\system32) https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

HxD (download and install)https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD20

Step 0: Backup your save files or better still make an image of your SD card using Win32DiskImager BEFORE you start... just in case anything goes wrong. Some emulators keep saves in the same directory as roms while others use locations listed below.

https://github.com/TriForceX/MiyooCFW/wiki/Emulator-Info

Step 1: Make your splash screen!

It has to be exactly 320 pixels wide and 240 pixels high. Here's an example (and a template if you enjoy this one). If you're done creating your splash screen, save it as splash.png.

Step 2: Convert it.

Hold shift and right click inside the directory where your splash.png file is and select Open PowerShell window here. A window will show up, paste the following line into it:

ffmpeg -vcodec png -i splash.png -vcodec rawvideo -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 converted.bin

and press enter. This will make you a converted.bin file that you'll be needing in the next step.

Step 3: Verification.

Right click on the converted.bin file and select Properties. Ensure that its Size (not Size on disk) is exactly 153,600 bytes. If it's not then probably your splash.png image wasn't 320x240 pixels in size in the first place. Do not attempt doing the 4th step if your converted.bin file doesn't meet the size criterium!

Step 4: The dangerous / fun part!

Insert the microSD card into your computer. Right click on HxD, select Run as administrator and do the following steps:

Choose File -> Open... and open your converted.bin file.

Choose Edit -> Select all and then Edit -> Copy.

Choose Tools -> Open disk....

Under Physical disks section select your microSD card, uncheck Open as readonly and press OK. Make sure that you didn't select your hard drive by an accident!

Press OK in the message box that pops out.

Choose Search -> Go to....

Set Offset to hex 4CAF4 (type this by hand, don't copy it), set Offset relative to begin and press OK. Do not click anywhere in the editor window as it will change the position in file that you've just set!

Choose Edit -> Paste write.

Choose File -> Save and press Yes when asked.

Close HxD, safely eject the microSD card, put it back into your Pocket Go, turn it on and voila!
Post image

Woo-hoo!

Step 5: Extra tip for CFW v1.3!

If you want to get rid of green screen transitions that occur when loading emulators or games, you'll need to navigate to your main partition, enter the kernel folder and open the colors file in notepad. First line of this file should look like this:

0#609408 background

By changing it to:

0#000000 background

you will set the screen to go black during these load times.

Credits to mac98 & JamesOFarrell

I have no idea if this will work on other systems, I am guessing the HEX offset will be different, but if anyone knows how to find / search for the splash image please let me know and I will test it
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Post a new topic