Author Topic: Any interest in a US distributor for the upcoming RS-97+  (Read 1409 times)

MJPIA (OP)

Any interest in a US distributor for the upcoming RS-97+
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:18:22 pm »
I've been in talks with the manufacturer of the RS-97 which has just started production of the Retro Game+ or RS-97+ and I am looking at placing an order of 100 of them to sell in North America.
To be clear there would be no preordering involved, I would only list them for sale once I have them in-stock so no giving me your money and waiting weeks or months for me to get enough preorders to place an order with the manufacturer.
The price would be $56 including shipping anywhere in the US, I also would intend on shipping to Canada and Mexico once I get the packaging dimensions and weight from them to calculate international shipping costs and possibly shipping worldwide eventually.

To be honest in all likelihood Chinese sellers who can order thousands of the devices will likely offer the device for slightly cheaper when they get stock but what I can offer is quick shipping from inside the US with no waiting weeks for e-packet delivery from China and I will stand behind what I sell with easy returns if you have an issue.
For those of you familiar with me on the GPD side of things I run a parts store for GPD products in the US.
https://www.ebay.com/str/MJPIAs-GPD-parts-store
Over the past year I've sold over 500 various parts for different GPD devices and I will stand behind what I sell, if you get a defective product I will make it right.

This is an image of the RS-97+

Here's a short clip of the RS-97+ playing street fighter using the nub to fire off shoryuken and hadoukens.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEgzupURP4E" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEgzupURP4E</a>

Currently the Plus uses the same CPU as the RS-97 but the main improvements are the additional nub, a improved easier to hit reset switch, a much larger battery (Either 1500mah or 1800mah instead of the 890mah battery in the RS-97, I've been told two different things and the prototype in the video uses a smaller 1200mah battery) and a 320x240 screen resolution instead of the weird 320x480 resolution of the RS-97.

I've got quotes from the manufacturer and they are willing to work with me, at this point I just want to gauge market interest and see if there's interest in this new device before I decide whether or not to pull the trigger.

Thanks for your time.

Saint434

Re: Any interest in a US distributor for the upcoming RS-97+
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 10:39:28 pm »
I didn't know they were doing a plus version. That's pretty cool. If they keep everything else the same in terms of being able to install UselessRS97 I would be very interested in buying another one. The bigger battery sounds good.Do you know if they are just gonna but a LiPo cell in there? Also I don't see that short clip you were talking about, could you drop a url.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:41:08 pm by Saint434 »

MJPIA (OP)

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:08:36 pm »
I didn't know they were doing a plus version. That's pretty cool. If they keep everything else the same in terms of being able to install UselessRS97 I would be very interested in buying another one. The bigger battery sounds good.Do you know if they are just gonna but a LiPo cell in there? Also I don't see that short clip you were talking about, could you drop a url.
Strange, it shows up on my phone and computer.
Here's a direct link to it then, see if that works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEgzupURP4E
AFAIK it will still use a widely available generic phone battery just like the rs-97 which used a battery for a Nokia phone.
In the video they flip the prototype over and you can see the battery.

The prototype has a 1200mah BP-4L Nokia battery which is also available in 1500mah.
My sales rep says production units are supposed to have a 1800mah battery but I can't verify that yet.
They removed the pointless Game boy cartridge slot left over from the Revo K101 and are using that additional space to put a larger battery in.

In terms of UselessRS97 the sales rep told me they are embracing the open source community and it is my understanding some developers have received the source code for the Plus although I'm waiting for confirmation about that before I start celebrating that.

com64

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 12:35:22 am »
I'll buy three.  8)

Great Crippler

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 01:47:33 am »
Price point would be my determining factor, but I am interested.

Saint434

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 03:37:34 am »
The link worked fine thanks. It looks nice and I definitely want one of these. I hope at some point they do an iteration with a little more power and L2 R2 buttons in-line like the Neo Geo X this way PS1 would be a little better. I don't know about anyone else but I would rather have a LiPo battery with a JST connector than a Nokia battery because it gets harder to find OEM batteries after some years. If this updated versions comes to fruition it would be nice to see a reworked Retro mini RS-90 that is a little more open and has a little more power.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:44:07 am by Saint434 »

illithid

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 01:01:11 pm »
There are a ton of those cheap Nokia batteries being sold since they are usually used for cheap Chinese phones and gadgets so looking for one is not that hard although I can't say the same about the quality.

MJPIA (OP)

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 02:58:42 pm »
Mmm yeah Nokia hasn't used those batteries for almost 10 years now in any of their devices but they are still being made so yeah my concern is less with availability as it is quality.
I have a battery analyzer at work so if I decide to go ahead with this I can both test the quality of the cells that come with the RS-97+ and if its even needed find one certain battery available on the market and test it.

A tested with a prototype reached out to me, gave me permission to share this video and should be doing more in the future but for now here's just a short video of view angles of the screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65V5u4h-QOk&feature=youtu.be
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65V5u4h-QOk" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65V5u4h-QOk</a>

I talked with the manufacturer last night and I've been told mass production of the RS-97+ will start next week so I have some time to make a final decision on whether or not to stock these.
I asked for a picture of packaging to figure out shipping and received that as well.

I'm not sure if final packaging isn't done yet or if they are just using the box from the RS-97 to save money here since the plus is the same size.
But with the dimensions and more importantly weight I can use those numbers to figure out what'd it cost to ship internationally later today.
Also I will be able to stock spare parts such as the membrane pads used for the ABYX and D-pad and spare shells so I would be able to provide long term support such as what I've been doing with the original GPD XD and Win.
I probably would be able to get some parts for the about to be discontinued RS-97 as well to support owners of it as well although I'd need to verify.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 03:37:43 pm »
I wish the new design included a bezel.

einstone

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 04:35:40 pm »
If you ship to Portugal, I'll be interested to buy one of these.

jbanes

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 03:51:05 am »
I?d be willing to purchase a unit. $56 after shipping is a fair price.

chubbypika

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 06:44:41 am »
I'd order one from your storefront if you carried it.  I just cancelled my RS-97 order as I would love to have the updated plus version (even if custom firmware is a ways down the road).

lazanti

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 12:50:41 pm »
I was really hoping for these specs:

Ingenic JZ4770 1 GHz MIPS processor
Vivante GC860, capable of OpenGL ES 2.0
512 MB DDR2

:(

powderedonutsale

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 12:24:08 am »
I will buy 2 in the U.S.A. especially if the battery life is improved

MJPIA (OP)

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 01:49:20 am »
Just so I don't leave any of you hanging I've ended up deciding against this, for now at least.
The biggest reason would be Soulja Boy attracted much unneeded attention including the likes of Nintendo.
And so long as the stock rom has hundreds of unlicensed roms its not worth the risk to sell them.
For now though production has begun and several stores on aliexpress have begun selling it at around the $50 price point so for those of you that are interested hop on over there and check it out.

ManiaxMax

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 04:56:56 pm »
Just so I don't leave any of you hanging I've ended up deciding against this, for now at least.
The biggest reason would be Soulja Boy attracted much unneeded attention including the likes of Nintendo.
And so long as the stock rom has hundreds of unlicensed roms its not worth the risk to sell them.
For now though production has begun and several stores on aliexpress have begun selling it at around the $50 price point so for those of you that are interested hop on over there and check it out.

Where have you seen them? I have tried looking but can't seem to find the new version.

blackz1982

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 05:03:39 pm »

Where have you seen them? I have tried looking but can't seem to find the new version.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Powkiddy-Retro-Handheld-Game-Console-Player-16GB-3-inch-Portable-Mini-Video-Gaming-Player-3000-Games/32967827816.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62d94c4dpzNSrY

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk