Author Topic: RS97-RS07 Universal Firmware Patcher v1.6 for all RS97 (all units)  (Read 36368 times)

Jutleys (OP)

• Retrogamers97-90
Here it is the new automated RS97-07 Kernel patcher we try to make things simpler for all our followers so we hope it helps.

Thank's to all the devs that made this possible illithid, ping_flood, Tony jih, if i missed anyone sorry too many to list here.

Please make sure too read the read me first then enjoy :)

Download links below.

https://rs97.bitgala.xyz/00.%20RS97-RS07%20Firmwares/RS97-07%20Patcher.7z

How to use:

1.Download the universal patcher and unpack to your pc anywhere.
2.Download you desired firmware and rename it to .fw
3.Run the file runmefirst.bat
4.Select stock or custom kernel.
5.Make sure you know what hardware revision you have and select the correct one in the menu by pressing the correct number.
6.It will now patch the fw.img to that device.Please wait until the terminal window closes and patching is complete.
7.flash the fw.img to your internal sdcard as you always do using etcher or any other.

External Installation

Patcher for using firmware over external sd card 16th August 2018 :
https://github.com/gameblabla/rs97-fixesgames/releases/download/5/ExternalRS97_patcher.zip

This will still erase the internal OS, you have been warned
For using it over the external sd slot, you of course need to have another micro sd card, with a size of at least 4GB.
If you don't have another micro sd card, then your only option is to use the internal option.
You also need to own an SD card usb adapter or something similar so you can write files to it.

Download both the firmware file (according to your hardware revision, behind the battery) and the external tool.

Unzip ExternalRS97_patcher.zip and put the folder patcher_ext on a micro sd card.
Plug that micro sd card into the RS-97, go to the Folder icon and look for your "patcher_ext" folder.
Once you found it, run the file patch.dge. Screen will become black for a while, wait until it goes back to where it was.
Once the screen is no longer black, you can turn off the unit. If it becomes stuck, then hit the reset button or remove the battery.

Now, you need to flash the firmware to another micro sd card. (or you can reuse the one you used for the patcher, it's no longer needed)
Format said micro sd card with this tool :
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Then use https://etcher.io or Win32 Disk Imager to write the firmware file to the Micro sd card.
Once that is done, you can expand your FAT32 partition with a tool like Minitool or Gparted.

Put that micro sd card in the GBA slot. Make sure your console is powered off !
Then power it on with the micro sd card inside the GBA slot and it should boot it. [/b][/size]

All RS97 stock firmwares here

If you would like to go back to the original firmware but haven't made a backup of it !Grab the firmware image files according to your revisions below

https://rs97.bitgala.xyz/00.%20RS97-RS07%20Firmwares/RS97%20Stock%20Firmwares/
Then flash it to the internal sd card and replace it.

v1.6 Changelog v1.6

- Updated Hex-A-Hop game and a Terminal application
- Added Hydra Castle Labyrinth game for rs97 thanks to benob dingoonity (updated with sound).
- Added Kobo Deluxe game thanks to benob dingoonity.
- Added OpenTitus thanks to Bitrider dingoonity.
- Updated DOSBox with fixes for RS-97 thanks to jbanes dingoonity.
- New icons added for all new apps and games thanks to illithid.

join my discord server bitboy handhelds https://discord.gg/5qbZKsm

Jutleys (OP)

• Retrogamers97-90
Re: Useless Firmware v15 for all RS97 units v1.0, v2.0 V2.1 v1.0S etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 07:01:26 pm »
Changelog

Changelog v1.6
November 16th

- Updated Hex-A-Hop game and a Terminal application
- Added Hydra Castle Labyrinth game for rs97 thanks to benob dingoonity (updated with sound).
- Added Kobo Deluxe game thanks to benob dingoonity.
- Added OpenTitus thanks to Bitrider dingoonity.
- Updated DOSBox with fixes for RS-97 thanks to jbanes dingoonity.
- New icons added for all new apps and games thanks to illithid.

October 23rd
v1.5 now has the latest service pack v6 applied to all firmwares. Hex-A-Hop and Powermanga games have been added too, Last version of Gambatte emulator with the menu mapped correctly (the brightness button instead of the select button like newer releases),New credits wallpaper added thanks to all contributors :)

October 19th 2018
Fixes more regressions, including C-Dogs, PCSX4ALL, FBA-GCW0... This is going to be the last update in a while.

October 17th 2018

Fixes TV out issues for most apps & games except for OpenBor and Race. Also updates ScummVM to the latest git version, including support for high resolution games as well as including it with the modern theme.

October 14th 2018
What's new ? Well compared to last firmware releases, mostly minor fixes and performances improvements !
Firmware for 1.0S units now have a fixed version of GPSP. You can load/save one save state, and exit it properly. The menu is fairly basic right now for those units but will get improved. Because i got no reports whenever it works on 2.1 JZ4760B units, those still use the older regba & gpsp binaries.
Picodrive got much faster, thanks to A600, and it even got faster than that with PGO. It should be able to play most Megadrive & Sega CD games at good speed. (Well except for 32X and Virtua Racing for the Megadrive...)
PocketSNES also got much faster thanks to PGO. While it's not silky smooth for some games, it's definitely better than before.
FBA-A320 no longer uses the crappy GUI that wasn't working and instead uses GmenuNx's file browser. It's also much faster for CPS-1 games thanks to PGO.
Wizznic & OpenJazz finally got fixed, thanks bitrider !
GMU was also compiled for the RS-97, again thanks bittrider ! Note that if you have any issues with it, you can still use FFPlay.
Ohboy & Gambattle both got fixed TV Out, and maybe some minor speed improvements. No other changes.
Cave story should run smoothly now. CW & TW versions were removed for the time being due to time constraints. Might get re-added later via SPs.
Oswan should be fixed over TV out now, in addition to being maybe a hair faster. Also, save location got changed.

October 4th
2018 Several fixes, speed improvements for Picodrive & PocketSNES, also several display issues for numerous emulators (including ohboy & gamebatte). Gambatte's menu can now be triggered with the brightness button (in addition to the power button). 
Minor update for PocketSNES : improved menu layout by pingflood.

August 28th 2018
Minor update for PocketSNES : improved menu layout by pingflood. Rename .snes96_snapshots to .pocketsnes if you wanna reuse your saves with the new SP. (also found in /mnt/int_sd/.snes96_snapshots on the console itself) 
Rename .snes96_snapshots to .pocketsnes if you wanna reuse your saves with the new SP. (also found in /mnt/int_sd/.snes96_snapshots on the console itself)

August 16th 2018
Added External tool for booting firmware via external sd slot. Tested and works.

CREDITS

Thanks pingflood for fixing and improving many emulators in addition to his advice and help.
He currently maintains GMenuNext, dingux-2600, dingux-msx and helped fixing PocketSNES/dumbsnes.
Thanks bob-fossil for ROTT port, improving Mame4ALL and fixing FBA-SDL.
Many thanks to bitrider for his numerous fixes !
Thanks Fontes for the artwork and some of the wallpapers that came with it, see his deviantart
https://www.deviantart.com/fontesmakua

And of course, i would like to thank the many emulator authors for their work, they are too numerous to be listed here !

02k0

Re: RS97 Firmware (RELOADED) v15 for all RS97 units v1.0, v2.0 V2.1 v1.0S.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 11:22:15 pm »
It is the final version?

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando o Tapatalk

HercTNT

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 12:28:10 am »
is this a continuation of gameblabla's firmware or your firmware updated with his fixes? i certainly miss his contributions and hope he returns one day. I'm also excited by the idea you might be taking the mantle back up. Either way thank you as always to everyone involved. my rs-97 replaced my dingoo a320 long ago as my go to machine.

odjinan

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 03:06:55 am »
is this a continuation of gameblabla's firmware or your firmware updated with his fixes? i certainly miss his contributions and hope he returns one day. I'm also excited by the idea you might be taking the mantle back up. Either way thank you as always to everyone involved. my rs-97 replaced my dingoo a320 long ago as my go to machine.
jutley released the initial custom firmware for the rs97, gameblabla continue his work.. now gameblabla want to stop releasing new update for uselessrs97, so jutley is coming back to continue the job! 

Thanks gameblabla and jutley ;)

i'm flashing now this v15 internal old 2.1, working well ^_^

Jutleys (OP)

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 07:20:44 am »
I am just trying to maintain the firmware the best I can until we have developer interest again the firmware has come a long way now it's time to enjoy it.I will continue to support the firmware the best i can @sauce and ping_flood have done a great job and took the firmware to another level so all i can say is GAME ON :).

vermillion

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 10:05:22 am »
Would it be possible to make an img file in various sizes to act as the sd linker. Reason being we could reuse old smaller sd cards and keep the larger ones for rom collections. Maybe 1Gb 2Gb 4Gb images.

riverinwoods

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 11:14:12 am »
Awesome work Jutley thx for your continued work. Cheers for the easy access updates ;)

Jutleys (OP)

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 11:57:16 am »
Would it be possible to make an img file in various sizes to act as the sd linker. Reason being we could reuse old smaller sd cards and keep the larger ones for rom collections. Maybe 1Gb 2Gb 4Gb images.

The image is already small as it can go 1.4gb compressed lol its gonna be hard to get it smaller than that.

Yan

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 12:30:54 pm »
Could you have a look at jinyong_legend and jinyong_psp? Both games cannot run on rs97 with the latest SP (black screen then flash out). And a friend reported that sdlpal cannot save more than 35 times.

Jutleys (OP)

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 12:41:04 pm »
Could you have a look at jinyong_legend and jinyong_psp? Both games cannot run on rs97 with the latest SP (black screen then flash out). And a friend reported that sdlpal cannot save more than 35 times.

Yan hi can you copy from the last sp the binary files and replace them and see if it can work again but i have reported your bug.You can find all the older service packs below try early service packs and replace the folders in games and see if it can work.

https://rs97.bitgala.xyz/00.%20RS97-RS07%20Firmwares/Useless%20Firmwares/Service%20Packs/Older%20service%20packs%20Firmware%201.4/

vermillion

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 03:31:11 pm »
sorry for double posting
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 03:35:54 pm by vermillion »

vermillion

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 03:33:04 pm »
so we can't just have a boot Partition which redirects to the GBA sd slot. I have the 16Gb v1.0S and it seems a waste to have to use the 16Gb card.

zadezl

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 05:18:02 pm »
Has anyone have trouble with DumbSnes? I mean everytime I try to Save/Load state the emu freezes. I know there are PocketSnes out there but some games dont work on it (such as BSZelda map 1/2) and DumbSnes can boot it just fine. Also I heard that DumbSnes run faster so I wanna try Seiken Densetsu 3 which run pretty slow on PocketSnes.

vermillion

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 02:13:14 pm »
I was able to make a 1Gb image for the v1.0S (img is to boot the external SD) by flashing the original firm to a 16Gb card then use the external patcher on the RS-97. Then i used the partition tool to shrink the fat 32 partition and used Win32DiskImager to read the disk but checked the read only allocated partitions box. It read back to a copy of the original firm and i ended up with an image of 961MB.
I have a 2Gb card so i flashed the image and expanded the fat 32 Partition which left me with 1.6Gb on the linker SD and my device boots the GBA SD which i use a 32Gb card.
If anyone wants the 1Gb img i will upload.

chrispaulmhd

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 03:34:38 pm »
I have a question.  I already have the Useless firmware flashed, so if I flash this, will it just automatically flash over it?

Jutleys (OP)

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 03:51:04 pm »
This is a fresh clean install with service packs inc the latest one so wipe you card and reflash clean

Yan

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:51 am »

Yan hi can you copy from the last sp the binary files and replace them and see if it can work again but i have reported your bug.You can find all the older service packs below try early service packs and replace the folders in games and see if it can work.

https://rs97.bitgala.xyz/00.%20RS97-RS07%20Firmwares/Useless%20Firmwares/Service%20Packs/Older%20service%20packs%20Firmware%201.4/

I've tried the old versions from SP3, no good though.

And I also noticed that mame4all got frozen while launching, I have to power off to restart the handset.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 07:50:10 am by Yan »

Jutleys (OP)

• Retrogamers97-90
Re: RS97 Firmware v1.5 for all RS97 units v1.0, v2.0 V2.1 v1.0S.
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 08:31:31 am »
Reflash I reworked the firmware again try again the 2 jinyong games have not worked for a while I have asked @sauce if he could take a look at them.

Yan

Re: RS97 Firmware v1.5 for all RS97 units v1.0, v2.0 V2.1 v1.0S.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 12:52:54 pm »
Reflash I reworked the firmware again try again the 2 jinyong games have not worked for a while I have asked @sauce if he could take a look at them.

Same problem here.

It seems that both two games were built on 11/3/18 or 12/3/18 in your firmware.

I am using RS97 2.1 old version.