Author Topic: AliExpress how to?  (Read 1730 times)

v47 (OP)

AliExpress how to?
« on: June 01, 2020, 12:00:27 pm »
As the prices of retro handhelds are doubling on ebay, I'm thinking of trying to buy stuff on AliExpress - any recommendations? Looks much dodgier than ebay, and I'm not too happy about the lack of paypal support, as I'm certainly not willing to pay with my card directly - any other payment options that could be explored? Also, how reliable are the sellers generally? Is it possible to get refunds should things go wrong? Any other tips for a newcomer?

Thanks.

Surkow

• * Administrator
Re: AliExpress how to?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 02:42:25 pm »
Paypal is an option, but not all sellers accept it. Personally I use iDEAL. Which is an e-commerce payment system used in the Netherlands. It does not offer any protection whatsoever and is akin to doing bank transfers.

Always do your due diligence with regard to resellers. Check feedback about the product in question, do not select expensive tier shipping methods because that might cause problems with customs (like trying get it shipped faster via DHL/UPS might result in you having to pay customs fees) and check photographs of people of the product in question.

Another thing you will have to read into is the dispute system. When you buy a product you receive something called purchase protection. This protection scheme runs for a period of time (usually around 40-60 days depending on the shipping method). If you do not receive your product within the allotted time you will have to start a dispute.

When all goes well you can expect products to arrive within a few weeks. On average 60% of my orders are sent and received without problems. The remainder usually ends in my favor or partial refunds. The few where I was negatively affected I simply didn't do my due diligence. When dealing with damage make sure to take photos before opening the package and respond within seven days of the tracking registering the package as having been delivered.

v47 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 05:57:06 pm »
That doesn't sound too bad, thanks.

Logged back into my account I've created yesterday, was dragged through a dodgy phone message verification process, but ok, completed, guess half the Asia has my phone number now. Tried to grab an item, but as soon as I put a shipping address in, payment methods are reduced to Card and WebMoney.

Yeeah, using russians to funnel money to the chinese, that sounds like a fairly bad idea. Anyway, I'm willing to try, as long as someone can confirm this works as one would expect (no fees when sending money to the wallet from a bank account, no need to install additional software/malware).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:01:05 pm by v47 »

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 07:13:29 pm »
That doesn't sound too bad, thanks.

Logged back into my account I've created yesterday, was dragged through a dodgy phone message verification process, but ok, completed, guess half the Asia has my phone number now. Tried to grab an item, but as soon as I put a shipping address in, payment methods are reduced to Card and WebMoney.

Yeeah, using russians to funnel money to the chinese, that sounds like a fairly bad idea. Anyway, I'm willing to try, as long as someone can confirm this works as one would expect (no fees when sending money to the wallet from a bank account, no need to install additional software/malware).
I can't remember ever having to do phone verification (I did have to add a phone number to my shipping address after all of a sudden they started canceling all my orders). Costs will be shown upfront during payment. Bank transfers usually do not cost money. Paypal usually costs a certain percentage of the amount you are paying. Extra fees should therefore not be a surprise.

v47 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 10:41:21 pm »
Ok, guess I'll be checking out WebMoney sometime soon.

Also, this is your 666th post. Coincidence?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:43:12 pm by v47 »

v47 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 08:30:32 pm »
guess I'll be checking out WebMoney sometime soon.
Nope of nopes, you are not getting a scan of my passport, comrades. Avoid, avoid, avoid like plague. So no AliExpress for me it seems, unless I can find a local bank that issues a charge type card usable on the internet (asked a few, but they all kept looking at me like I had three heads so far).

Nikojiro

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 04:21:08 pm »
I've ordered a bunch of retro handhelds, parts and stuff from AliExpress for nearly ten years and have had a very positive experience. Honestly I find it more reliable these days than third party Amazon sellers.

I use AliPay, their own payment system and it worked fine. In terms of protection, everytime I've raised a claim I've been refunded without any issue. Also they now have free return programs in several countries (in France where I live for instance) and I've also had a mostly positive experience.

One thing to keep in mind on AliExpress is that it's usually better to order from a trusted reseller, e.g. official factory stores like Anbernic, GPD and the likes, or big resellers with ots of feedback.

Another thing to keep in minf is that sellers are very communicative and than bargaining is key in chinese business practices. I've found it very convenient to try to reach out to sellers and sometimes even ask for a discount if you buy several units, or simply for sourcing spare parts. Anbernic official store has been most helpful in that regard.

v47 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 06:48:12 pm »
It's the unavailability of acceptable payment options I'm complaining about, not the place itself. Anyway, I think I've found a service that issues a charge type mastercard (not connected to any bank account, you just pay cash at the local tobacco store, it gets loaded into the card, and then you can use it to pay for things on the internet) in my area - it's already on its way, so problem solved, I think.

The newcomer coupon is unfortunately going to expire by then, so I'll probably just have to discard the current aliexpress account and create a new one - I don't think the coupon can be renewed even if unused.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 07:29:01 pm »
[...]
Also, this is your 666th post. Coincidence?

;)

[...]
The newcomer coupon is unfortunately going to expire by then, so I'll probably just have to discard the current aliexpress account and create a new one - I don't think the coupon can be renewed even if unused.

Alternatively, you can always try these coupons.

v47 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 01:34:30 pm »
Took forever to receive and set the new card up, so those are already gone, but thanks anyway. Ali decided to renew the newcomer coupon in the meantime, bringing the price of the RG99 unit I wanted to get to $28, which is acceptable. Lets hope it will arrive without issues (china post registered air, 20-31 days, or so it says).

exorio

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 07:21:18 pm »
I've purchased lots of stuffs from Aliexpress.

It does look dodgy at times, but surprisingly I only got scammed once. Bought a li-ion battery, the tracking suddenly dissapear on the way. It's not completely the seller's fault. Batteries are hell to ship. Nevertheless the seller offered me a refund through paypal which he never did. What an asshole. Does that count as a "scam" though? The tracking is legit. It just suddenly stop while in the middle of the flight.

Another time, similar thing happened. The item tracking got dissapear, so I opened up a dispute. Won the dispute and got refunded. But in all honesty I really do think the seller definitely shipped the item, since the tracking is legit. Again, same thing happen. It just got lost on the way to me. So it's the courier's fault actually.

Their dispute sistem is very fair. And it looks like they have real human that look on all dispute cases thoroughly. On other marketplaces, you only have instruction templates on what you're suggested to do next.

Other than those two specific case, I bought chargers, cables, straps, bluetooth controller, drones, LCD screen, electronic parts, console (LDK). Definitely shit tons of stuffs, never had any problems at all. And I use my credit card (mastercard).

Twice out of probably 30-ish purchases over the years that's not bad at all IMO. And I don't think the sellers intended to scam.

Also take a note, the sellers are really scared of getting a bad review. So their system may be very harsh to prevent scams.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 07:25:11 pm by exorio »

v47 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 08:16:16 pm »
Yeah, everything looking good so far, the item got marked as dispatched within a day, received a proper email notification, and a tracking number is available, current status is displayed.

The not exactly perfect English here and there kind of makes it look like they are trying a bit too hard ("above information is optimized!"), but no harm in that, I suppose.

exorio

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 01:16:59 pm »
Couple of days ago I just ordered 4 pairs of R11 phone trigger; I play call of duty mobile exclusively lately

The tracking stops at "Shipment left country of origin warehouse"

That happens so often while I still received my goods previously, faster than a month

So I'm not worried at all

JulioCD

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 09:58:30 pm »
As the prices of retro handhelds are doubling on ebay, I'm thinking of trying to buy stuff on AliExpress - any recommendations? Looks much dodgier than ebay, and I'm not too happy about the lack of paypal support, as I'm certainly not willing to pay with my card directly - any other payment options that could be explored? Also, how reliable are the sellers generally? Is it possible to get refunds should things go wrong? Any other tips for a newcomer?

Thanks.

Anubys

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 08:58:50 pm »
I have about 200 orders through the years, including some expensive stuff (like a KNote8 hybrid tablet) I use Aliexpress for 5+ years now. I use AliPay, their own payment method, using my own credit card, and I had zero problems with it -mind you, my PayPal account has been hacked, and they did steal some money from it about two years ago, so AliPay was safer for me-, I find it much more reliable than Amazon or Ebay.
So far I had one lost package, which I got refound (a bit slow process though, as you will have to wait for 60 days before you can ask for it, and the seller has 30 more days to refound you, but in my case he did it in a week).
I had some (like 3 or 4) faulty products (like broken tempered glass protector, etc), if you send the picture of what is wrong, most seller will give you the option to resend it to you or refound you. Basically they will try to do their bests to earn a 5 star rating from their buyers.
The only thing you should take into account is that the shipping time is much longer, most of the stores have warehouses only in China, so it could possible take a month (or even more now, because of the pandemic) to have the shipment. But if you are lucky, you order from a store that has a warehouse "near" you, in this case it would be just a couple of days to get it (the fastest order for me was 6 days, they have sent it from Germany, I live in Hugary).

As the best advice: you should order from stores and goods that has quite an amount of positives in the begining. Later on you will have experience about Chinese brands, you will know which one is good quality, which one is not.

v47 (OP)

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 07:42:55 pm »
The search isn't that great though - it seem like trying to filter the results by the price will remove some hits, and I don't think it's possible to set the filter to show items by the lowest price including shipping, so if you really want to find that cheapest offering, you will have to go through all the original results one by one.

Fishfan

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 05:36:29 pm »
Hi all, what happen if receive defective item? Sending back will be a problem

v47 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 07:56:43 pm »
I would assume the seller will either have to work things out with you, or risk a negative feedback, just like on ebay. I would also assume that if you buy from a seller that's been selling on AliExpress for a couple of years, has thousands of feedbacks, and 98% are good, your chances are probably pretty good, though you certainly won't be able to ask paypal for help should things happen to go completely wrong.

exorio

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 12:31:28 am »

Never experienced receiving defective item at all.

But if you do, you can open a dispute. As I said earlier, seems that Aliexpress have good dispute system which being monitored by real human.

Full refund most of the time would require you to ship the item back to them. Best option is partial refund IMO.

Also, I've mention the seller is very afraid of getting bad feedback/review. So try to work it out with them first at least.

Nevertheless, NEVER accept paypal refund. I don't think they can access paypal in china in the first place.

Fishfan

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 08:14:18 am »

Never experienced receiving defective item at all.

But if you do, you can open a dispute. As I said earlier, seems that Aliexpress have good dispute system which being monitored by real human.

Full refund most of the time would require you to ship the item back to them. Best option is partial refund IMO.

Also, I've mention the seller is very afraid of getting bad feedback/review. So try to work it out with them first at least.

Nevertheless, NEVER accept paypal refund. I don't think they can access paypal in china in the first place.
If so, don't use PayPal. Then what the best payment mode in case needing a refund?

Post a new topic