Author Topic: "Ultimate" RS-97 Guide  (Read 23409 times)

Cralex

"Ultimate" RS-97 Guide
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2018, 05:28:33 pm »
Hi guys, first of all i would like to thanks all the wonderful human beings that put togheter this topic, because it is complete, full of useful information and filled with love <3

That said, I've just bought a RS-97 device that is labelled as "RETROGAME 3000 in 1". I went for the "internal" mod and found that my device is 1.0S... I did not get what version of Useless should have been installed so i tried. I flashed a sd card with 1.0S as stated here https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/uselessrs97-internal-firmware-for-revision-2-1/ and tried the first link "Revision 1.0, 2.0 and 1.0S (with 2.0 LCD screen)" and then "Revision 1.0S (with new LCD panel, use that one if you get a black screen)" because i was getting a black screen.

Everything seems to work fine, except for USB mount (no device can be seen on my windows laptop, nor in "My Computer" nor in "Disk Management" even after a refresh) and with GBA emulation: gpsp work with a bios installed but lacks of useful features; ReGBA should use same bios but goes black just after my legally owned and dumped ROM has loaded.

What can i do to fix these two unpleasent issues?
Did I identify correctly my device?

Thank you all!

P.S.:hope to have posted in the right section, otherwise i beg you pardon!

Yes, you correctly identified your unit. Some 1.0S units, specifically the ones that require the firmware that yours does, have some problems that haven?t been fixed yet. The reGBA emulator doesn?t work on your unit yet, and gpsp crashes whenever the X button is pressed to open the menu. (It?s supposed to have save states and such, but the current menu causes it to crash.) A new version of gpsp is being worked on that will include a working menu, so keep an eye on the Useless RS-97 CFW thread for updates.

They are attempting to fix reGBA on your unit as well, but progress is slow because the reason it crashes isn?t well understood. The USB mounting thing is another problem that newer 1.0S units have. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be in the kernel, which we aren?t able to change. Your unit will almost certainly never work with USB mounting. You will have to use a SD card reader whenever you want to add ROMs. You can use the Commander file browser on your unit to move things from the external card to the internal card if you need to. Otherwise, I?d recommend just keeping ROMs on a large external card, for ease of access.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:32:36 pm by Cralex »

Particello

Re: &quot;Ultimate&quot; RS-97 Guide
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2018, 05:34:34 pm »
Hi guys, first of all i would like to thanks all the wonderful human beings that put togheter this topic, because it is complete, full of useful information and filled with love <3

That said, I've just bought a RS-97 device that is labelled as "RETROGAME 3000 in 1". I went for the "internal" mod and found that my device is 1.0S... I did not get what version of Useless should have been installed so i tried. I flashed a sd card with 1.0S as stated here https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/uselessrs97-internal-firmware-for-revision-2-1/ and tried the first link "Revision 1.0, 2.0 and 1.0S (with 2.0 LCD screen)" and then "Revision 1.0S (with new LCD panel, use that one if you get a black screen)" because i was getting a black screen.

Everything seems to work fine, except for USB mount (no device can be seen on my windows laptop, nor in "My Computer" nor in "Disk Management" even after a refresh) and with GBA emulation: gpsp work with a bios installed but lacks of useful features; ReGBA should use same bios but goes black just after my legally owned and dumped ROM has loaded.

Thank you all!

Yes, you correctly identified your unit. Some 1.0S units, specifically the ones that require the firmware that yours does, have some problems that haven?t been fixed yet. The reGBA emulator doesn?t work on your unit yet, and gpsp crashes whenever the X button is pressed to open the menu. (It?s supposed to have save states and such, but the current menu causes it to crash.) A new version of gpsp is being worked on that will include a working menu, so keep an eye on the Useless RS-97 CFW thread for updates.

They are attempting to fix reGBA on your unit as well, but progress is slow because the reason it crashes isn?t well understood. The USB mounting thing is another problem that newer 1.0S units have. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be in the kernel, which we aren?t able to change. Your unit will almost certainly never work with USB mounting. You will have to use a SD card reader whenever you want to add ROMs.

Thank you very much for your answer, I'll wait for news from developers! In the meantime can you point me to a shop that will sell a unit with a more supported board/device? Key requirement, the shop must ship world-wide..

Cralex

"Ultimate" RS-97 Guide
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2018, 06:16:53 pm »

Thank you all!

They are attempting to fix reGBA on your unit as well, but progress is slow because the reason it crashes isn?t well understood. The USB mounting thing is another problem that newer 1.0S units have. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be in the kernel, which we aren?t able to change. Your unit will almost certainly never work with USB mounting. You will have to use a SD card reader whenever you want to add ROMs.

Thank you very much for your answer, I'll wait for news from developers! In the meantime can you point me to a shop that will sell a unit with a more supported board/device? Key requirement, the shop must ship world-wide..

It?s random. Everyone, including myself since my first unit's screen broke, is in a lottery to see what unit they get, with 1.0S units getting more and more common. However, you might be able to boost your chances by looking for units with less than 16 GB of internal storage. When they started releasing 16 GB units, (and units with solid black or white cases,) that's when we started seeing 1.0S units.

Cralex

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2018, 09:59:26 pm »
Submitted for inclusion in the list, another glass screen protector that perfectly fits the RS-97. This one from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073QLP4FP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_s74XBbKPKTP5R

I bought it because it lists compatibility with one of the same cameras that the AliExpress screen protector does, and sure enough it fits. Comes with two screen protectors and a little box to keep the spare in.

hiei (OP)

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2018, 08:02:13 am »
Submitted for inclusion in the list, another glass screen protector that perfectly fits the RS-97. This one from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073QLP4FP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_s74XBbKPKTP5R

I bought it because it lists compatibility with one of the same cameras that the AliExpress screen protector does, and sure enough it fits. Comes with two screen protectors and a little box to keep the spare in.

Thanks for this info! Added to the guide.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic