On the RS-97 when you add a cd game in bin/cue format and then browse the roms you see the title listed twice but can't see the file extensions. If you select the bin file instead of the cue file and try to load it in the emu, the system locks and you have to reset it with the recessed button on the bottom.
My experience differs, as I have tried a number of Sega CD roms in .bin/.cue format for which I have to select the first .bin for them to run, and if I select the .cue file it crashes and locks up requiring a hard reset with the recessed button. Vay and The Terminator are just two examples. But there are other roms for which your advice is true, such as Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure, where I have to select the .cue and not the .bin.
So in my experience it seems to vary from one rom to another, and I cannot see any reason for this. Has anyone else had this experience, or is my setup an anomaly?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is very strange. Any emulator that I have ever used wants the .cue file and not the .bin. Also, I have both Vay and Terminator on my RS-97, and both work fine for me loading the .cue file. I have tested over 30 Sega CD releases at random so far and all of them have worked as I described, with no lockups.
I think that either you are trying a different release of the game than I am (Eur instead of US?) or that maybe more bios files are needed. I actually have more bios files installed than I listed, according to some stuff I read only the 3 I listed are needed but maybe that info was wrong. Here are all of the Sega CD / Mega CD bios files that I have installed in /mnt/int_sd/.picodrive/:
us_scd1_9210.bin us_scd2_9303.bin us_scd2_9306.bin
eu_mcd1_9210.bin eu_mcd2_9303.bin eu_mcd2_9306.bin
If you guys figure out why some releases are not running for you (such as the need for more of these bios files) please let me know so that I can update the post.
EDIT: It occurred to me that I forgot to mention that I am using the updated version of Picodrive "picodrive_19-03-2018_fixed version of picodrive, fixed double buffer & swapped XY button issue" from the "beta_testing_latest" folder in the RS-97 repo: https://mega.nz/#F!B5xCXZRC!XTt2dsNCeNljYsGW_onUTg
This is probably why you are getting different results than I am, I will edit my original post to include this information.