Author Topic: "Ultimate" RS-97 Guide  (Read 33507 times)

HercTNT

Re: "Ultimate" RS-97 Guide
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 06:37:10 pm »
yup same here. sometimes it's the cue that crashes, sometimes the bin. no rhyme or reason why.

Smakx

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 08:07:58 pm »
On the RS-97 when you add a cd game in bin/cue format and then browse the roms you see the title listed twice but can't see the file extensions. If you select the bin file instead of the cue file and try to load it in the emu, the system locks and you have to reset it with the recessed button on the bottom.

My experience differs, as I have tried a number of Sega CD roms in .bin/.cue format for which I have to select the first .bin for them to run, and if I select the .cue file it crashes and locks up requiring a hard reset with the recessed button. Vay and The Terminator are just two examples. But there are other roms for which your advice is true, such as Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure, where I have to select the .cue and not the .bin.

So in my experience it seems to vary from one rom to another, and I cannot see any reason for this. Has anyone else had this experience, or is my setup an anomaly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very strange. Any emulator that I have ever used wants the .cue file and not the .bin. Also, I have both Vay and Terminator on my RS-97, and both work fine for me loading the .cue file. I have tested over 30 Sega CD releases at random so far and all of them have worked as I described, with no lockups.

I think that either you are trying a different release of the game than I am (Eur instead of US?) or that maybe more bios files are needed. I actually have more bios files installed than I listed, according to some stuff I read only the 3 I listed are needed but maybe that info was wrong. Here are all of the Sega CD / Mega CD bios files that I have installed in /mnt/int_sd/.picodrive/:

us_scd1_9210.bin   us_scd2_9303.bin   us_scd2_9306.bin

eu_mcd1_9210.bin   eu_mcd2_9303.bin   eu_mcd2_9306.bin

jp_mcd1_9111.bin   jp_mcd1_9112.bin

If you guys figure out why some releases are not running for you (such as the need for more of these bios files) please let me know so that I can update the post.

EDIT: It occurred to me that I forgot to mention that I am using the updated version of Picodrive "picodrive_19-03-2018_fixed version of picodrive, fixed double buffer & swapped XY button issue" from the "beta_testing_latest" folder in the RS-97 repo: https://mega.nz/#F!B5xCXZRC!XTt2dsNCeNljYsGW_onUTg

This is probably why you are getting different results than I am, I will edit my original post to include this information.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:41:06 pm by Smakx »

OhOhOne

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 04:19:24 am »
On the RS-97 when you add a cd game in bin/cue format and then browse the roms you see the title listed twice but can't see the file extensions. If you select the bin file instead of the cue file and try to load it in the emu, the system locks and you have to reset it with the recessed button on the bottom.

My experience differs, as I have tried a number of Sega CD roms in .bin/.cue format for which I have to select the first .bin for them to run, and if I select the .cue file it crashes and locks up requiring a hard reset with the recessed button. Vay and The Terminator are just two examples. But there are other roms for which your advice is true, such as Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure, where I have to select the .cue and not the .bin.

So in my experience it seems to vary from one rom to another, and I cannot see any reason for this. Has anyone else had this experience, or is my setup an anomaly?

EDIT: It occurred to me that I forgot to mention that I am using the updated version of Picodrive "picodrive_19-03-2018_fixed version of picodrive, fixed double buffer & swapped XY button issue" from the "beta_testing_latest" folder in the RS-97 repo: https://mega.nz/#F!B5xCXZRC!XTt2dsNCeNljYsGW_onUTg

This is probably why you are getting different results than I am, I will edit my original post to include this information.

I wish you were right, but I?m pretty sure I?ve been using the updated Picodrive fixed version, and just to be certain I just downloaded it and copied it over again. No luck, it still crashes when I try to load Vay by selecting the .cue rather than the .bin file.

I suspect you were right when you said it has something to do with the bios files. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a complete set of the bios files that you have so I still can?t say for sure.

HercTNT

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 05:17:21 am »
I'm also using the latest picodrive with the recommended bios file. while i'm probably full of poop, i don't think the bios file has anything to do with the support of format. That should be solely based on the emulator. unless their is something in the different image format that is more tolerant of what the bios is looking for when it thinks it's running a cd. Afterall, a bios file from the early 90's would know nothing of bin/cue. again, my understanding of this is likely off so don't flame me if i'm wrong LOL.

Smakx

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 06:15:07 am »

I wish you were right, but I?m pretty sure I?ve been using the updated Picodrive fixed version, and just to be certain I just downloaded it and copied it over again. No luck, it still crashes when I try to load Vay by selecting the .cue rather than the .bin file.

I suspect you were right when you said it has something to do with the bios files. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a complete set of the bios files that you have so I still can?t say for sure.

The only other thing I can think of, is opening one of the .cue files from a title that isn't working in a text editor and make sure that it is referring to the proper filename for its associated .bin file. Upper/lower case can also have an effect, even in the file's extension. I have grabbed over 30 Sega Cd titles from my Retropie setup and every last one of them works fine on my RS-97.

OhOhOne

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 04:04:23 pm »

The only other thing I can think of, is opening one of the .cue files from a title that isn't working in a text editor and make sure that it is referring to the proper filename for its associated .bin file. Upper/lower case can also have an effect, even in the file's extension. I have grabbed over 30 Sega Cd titles from my Retropie setup and every last one of them works fine on my RS-97.

Okay, so I managed to get a hold off the exact  bios files you have and it still crashes on certain roms when I try to launch them from the .cue file. And I checked the .cue file and the .bin files names to make sure they match and don?t see any inconsistencies. So now I?m going to try redownloading the .bin/.cue files to see if that works. Thanks very much for your help, I really do appreciate it.

Smakx

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 08:32:26 am »

Okay, so I managed to get a hold off the exact  bios files you have and it still crashes on certain roms when I try to launch them from the .cue file. And I checked the .cue file and the .bin files names to make sure they match and don?t see any inconsistencies. So now I?m going to try redownloading the .bin/.cue files to see if that works. Thanks very much for your help, I really do appreciate it.

I think that you are right and that it is down to the bin/cue files that you are using. I now have 32 Sega CD games loaded on my RS-97 and every one of them works - I still have yet to find one that doesn't. All of the games I have are in bin/cue format except for Road Avengers, it is in .iso format (with 3 audio files) and it works too. Hopefully getting new copies of the disk images will solve the issues you are having.

ogutierr

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 08:33:39 am »
Hello everybody.
I bought it because of it's impossible to get a dingo in the price I want :) and because I need a little videoconsole to emulate lynx games due to screen problems on my original one.
I hope this community will grow and we can get better emulators and functions on this RS-97 in the future.
Thanks to all the people working on it.

one more question: handy emulator produces distorsion on the sound and lags. It's  normal?  or I need to configure it?

HercTNT

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 08:45:51 am »

ogutierr

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 11:21:41 am »
thanks. I will try

ogutierr

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 12:04:19 pm »
Sorry,
It says: "INSTALL
Copy either handy320.dge or handy320-od.dge to some dir on your sd-card or inner flash-memory.
Find real lynxboot.img somewhere in the internet (Google is your friend) and put it in the same directory."

But, that's all? I'd never installed an emu by my self. It will use the actual icon on the home screen?

ogutierr

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 01:51:28 pm »
ummm...
I tried to link it by pressing SELECT on handy icon and then "link to emulators" --> select the file:

run.dge --> not work
handy320 --> not work

I've two folders: handy and handy_old

now I can't use lynx emu :(

what's wrong?

ogutierr

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2018, 02:17:51 pm »
did it.
it was my fault thinking that I was editing the existing icon instead of creating a new one.
But I can't see differences between both.
I will try tonight at home
thanks again

HercTNT

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 06:06:47 am »
apologies for my late reply. glad you figured it out.

hiei (OP)

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 09:01:14 pm »
New Papk3plus website is up still work in progress.

https://jutleys.wixsite.com/papk3plus

In which way is this supposed to be related to RS-97?  :o

Smakx

Re: "Ultimate" RS-97 Guide - PSX Games that run well
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 07:24:41 am »
I've been testing some 2d Playstation 1 games on the RS-97 and have arrived at a set of games that run well. I thought I would share it, here it is:

Bomberman Party Edition.pbp
Breath of Fire III.pbp
Breath of Fire IV.pbp
Capcom vs. SNK - Millennium Fight 2000 Pro.pbp
Castlevania - Dracula X Chronicles (USA).pbp
Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (USA).pbp
Einhander.pbp
Final Fantasy Tactics.pbp
Final Fantasy VII (USA).pbp
Grand Theft Auto 2.pbp
Guilty Gear.pbp
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.pbp
Mega Man 8.pbp
Mega Man X4.pbp
Mega Man X5.pbp
Mega Man X6.pbp
Mortal Kombat Trilogy.pbp
Oddworld - Abe's Oddysee.pbp
Skullmonkeys.pbp
True Pinball.pbp

Also, YouTuber arbitor365 has posted a video with a decent overview of the RS-97 and some good information, especially for people new to the device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNW6gjwwY4M

hiei (OP)

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 03:06:11 pm »
I am waiting a bit before updating the thread since could be a smart choice to collect as much information possible on the new RS-97 revs.

EDIT: OP updated.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:59:21 am by hiei »

ace9094

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2018, 06:37:15 pm »
Hi All,

Can anyone confirm my version for me please...

Mine states following in the settings:

About This Unit
Model: LN430
U Disk Capacity: 3.27GB
U Disk Available Capacity 159MB (Deleted the music video etc)
Version V3.12

I assume this is a 1.2 (Just checking before I Flash / Brick my device)

Thanks
ace
Dingoo x2, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, PSP Go, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices