• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: windows handheld device  (Read 214411 times)

Kaimega

Re: windows handheld device
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 07:51:56 pm »
Make it a linux or Android thing and you got a sale from me, #2 specifically ;)

redlemon

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 08:02:32 pm »
I wouldn't like a 7 inch screen of it meant a tablet design instead of a clamshell.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 09:45:09 pm »
according to youtube, a z8500 would mean games like fallout new vegas, gta V and the like would be kind of playable actually. That would be nice in a 5 inch handheld. "XD"

That's assuming it will be a 5'' handheld. I'm assuming they'll buff it up to 7'' or greater to accommodate everything - but it'll be totally sweet if they didn't.

Also, Android / Windows ARM dual boot FTW.

If they use a cherrutrail is x86, like intel baytrail tablets, no ARM.

As far as I know, they want to use the same mold as XD but without screen black borders so they can include a 5,5" screen at 720p. But I suppose GPD will try different options or perhaps they use even both 5 and 7 inch, like XD and q9.
Retired

eragon2890

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 11:27:46 pm »
according to youtube, a z8500 would mean games like fallout new vegas, gta V and the like would be kind of playable actually. That would be nice in a 5 inch handheld. "XD"

That's assuming it will be a 5'' handheld. I'm assuming they'll buff it up to 7'' or greater to accommodate everything - but it'll be totally sweet if they didn't.

As far as I know, they want to use the same mold as XD but without screen black borders so they can include a 5,5" screen at 720p. But I suppose GPD will try different options or perhaps they use even both 5 and 7 inch, like XD and q9.

Did someone at GPD leak all this interesting information ? :O

AVahne

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 05:49:15 am »
Would love the second design, with some tweaks for ergonomics. Also if that keyboard is well designed and easy to use, that'd be swell. If they can get a Cherry Trail to work with more than 2 GB RAM while also pricing this similarly to or LESS than the Linx Vision, I'll be all over this.
Though, any chance that the Moga Hero's sticks could be used? They're bigger than the Vita's sticks at the base, but they still seem pretty small AND they have clicking L3 and R3. Just wondering if that were possible. Perhaps using a super low profile stick cap like what's on the Tapwave Zodiac or the GP2X CAANOO?

Now then....could this be my chance to finally play Vindictus and Tera Online on a portable?

EDIT: There's something I've been wondering. A physical keyboard would be the best, but I have to wonder if there's enough room for a real, USEABLE physical keyboard in the space indicated. I have an idea that might not be ideal for everyone, but what if you guys put in  a second screen in that area instead? That screen could then be used to display a keyboard (preferably with a vibration option) in whatever layout the player chooses; perhaps it could even used as a trackpad area when not in keyboard mode or could be used as an extra monitor for displaying external information in games like flight simulators or something. Of course it'd be a smaller screen than the main one and I suspect it could be lower resolution to save costs, but I just wonder if that could be an option.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:56:54 am by AVahne »

Skelton-retired

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 07:42:23 am »

Did someone at GPD leak all this interesting information ? :O

Yep, their main developer. But it's just a plan they have, I don't knoe yet if they will do it or not, but it's in their planning at least.
Retired

­

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 10:45:35 am »

Well, that's interesting. If they can both use x86 and the previous template it'll sure bump the XD2 a couple of notches up in my opinion.

Lax

• Host Anvil - Web Hosting
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 11:05:12 am »

Number 2 please, right now!

(why not just post this under the GPD account?  :-\)

1. Get rid of the camera, who is gonna use that really?
2. Ensure the screen is as big as possible.
3. 4 shoulder buttons please!!!!!!!!
4. Keep it white, white things are gorgeous. Got enough black devices..
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:16:41 am by Lax »
Turn off your Android games console when you are finished with it!

Deen0X

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 11:25:40 am »
about the designs, i agree with most of comment that the second alternative is the best of what did you showed (but i think the first one may be better if there is a good implementation), but i have some suggestions.

i really don?t see that a keyboard is needed on this device. any keyboard you put there will be small, and their usage will be casual.
i read messages from people that they want to play old games that requires keyboard.
sincerelly, if you want to play any game that requires keyboard, in any case will be the best alternative.
you must focus on the main goal of this device, to give a windows device for play most of games that requires joystick.

maybe GPD can consider on improve their mapper, and adding keymapping too. I mean, opening the mapper (with gamepad icon) may you can configuer what you want to do with each control.
maybe, you can assign keys (from standard keyboard) to controls
games that need keyboard for playing, don?t have joystick support, then when you playing using a keyboard, really will not use the joystick controls.

maybe, GPD can include reduced keyboard schemma, not a complete keyboard layout.
considering this, then maybe the first alternative looks interesting as concept (but i prefer to keep the current analog layout)

i think adding a numeric pad with some extra buttons may give a good improvement for adding keyboard funcions to the device.

in general speaking, if you need to write something, you can use the on screen keyboard without problems. Is not the most comfortable way, but is practical.
Then, you can use the numeric pad, but keeping the same as the keymapper that i mentioned, this keypad may be configurable. You can setup actions (keys, etc) for each key of this numeric pad.

the final layout/setup will be a device that will be capable of adding keyboard support for most games, using all the buttons and controls of the device.
As example of common keyboard layout may be:
Left stick: WASD
right stick: IJKL
DPAD: Arrow keys
A: Control
B: Space
X: Alt
Y: Shift
L1: Q
R1: E
L2: Z
R2: C
Select: ESC
Start: Enter

And numeric keypad with some assignments (or let the numeric layout)

all this may be configured from the keymapping tool.

And consider that most of keyboard based games, don't need the full layout of the keyboard for playing... and if there is some games that need, well, in any case will not be comfortable to be played with a mini-keyboard... and this device will be an all-terrain gaming device, but this don?t mean that will be capable on playing ALL kind of games.
again, the focus of this device is to play games with joystick support. any other game will be an extra (in my oppinion)

and, in my opinion, i prefer a better DPAD than a full keyboard layout on the device. I really want a GPD-Q9 DPAD implemented on this device.

­

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2015, 12:15:21 pm »
I don't think that's correct, Deen0X. Many older PC games have an esoteric layout or require more than just the WASD keys - not to mention older adventure games, where you have to type in you commands.
If they're going for an x86 CPU, a keyboard is a must-have for people who might use this device for a bit of text editing or coding on-the-go or whatever.

Speaking of x86, I think putting a Core M in it instead of an Atom will boost its performance greatly, but that may impact its price tag and its battery life slightly. But I think it's an option worth considering, seeing as it will be able to run the more advanced emulators (Dolphin and PCSX2) if it has a Core M 5Y10.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2015, 12:24:30 pm »
Core M is much better, but I don't think GPD will make a 300 bucks device (as a minimum), so my guess is that they will choose the lowest cost possible, but who knows....

I must confess a Windows handheld is not too much of my interest. I have a intel baytrail tablet with windows and android and I use it on android only because for me it lags like hell in windows, and I don't get used to windows touch interface under windows. I practicaly don't play PC games so for me with mu current XD I'm fine.
Retired

Deen0X

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2015, 01:06:26 pm »
I don't think that's correct, Deen0X. Many older PC games have an esoteric layout or require more than just the WASD keys - not to mention older adventure games, where you have to type in you commands.
If they're going for an x86 CPU, a keyboard is a must-have for people who might use this device for a bit of text editing or coding on-the-go or whatever.

Speaking of x86, I think putting a Core M in it instead of an Atom will boost its performance greatly, but that may impact its price tag and its battery life slightly. But I think it's an option worth considering, seeing as it will be able to run the more advanced emulators (Dolphin and PCSX2) if it has a Core M 5Y10.

ok, i understand, but my point is that maybe this kind of games are not suitable to be played on this kind of devices.
do you really think playing games that require to input commands by keyboard, will be comfortable to be played with a physical micro-keyboard?
I really doubt.
i think, for these kind of games may be better choice a 7" devices, with a better size keyboard. But of course, 7" in a GPD-XD form factor is something... complicated to imagine.

as i mentioned, i think the main focus must be games with joystick support.  Any other implementation will be only a "plus" to the device in my opinion.

lemmywinks

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2015, 04:42:32 pm »
as i mentioned, i think the main focus must be games with joystick support.  Any other implementation will be only a "plus" to the device in my opinion.

Exactly.

Also to GPD, please do not sacrifice comfort in order to put a keyboard on the device. A keyboard would be great but it has to be secondary to the gamepad controls, although everybody seems to prefer the second design it would wreck your thumbs. The XD controls are fine where they are, they shouldn't be any closer to the edges of the device as they are positioned where your thumbs naturally fall.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

eragon2890

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2015, 05:44:33 pm »

ok, i understand, but my point is that maybe this kind of games are not suitable to be played on this kind of devices.
do you really think playing games that require to input commands by keyboard, will be comfortable to be played with a physical micro-keyboard?
I really doubt.
i think, for these kind of games may be better choice a 7" devices, with a better size keyboard. But of course, 7" in a GPD-XD form factor is something... complicated to imagine.

Agreed. Or maybe make the keyboard more micro with only some keys. For example, arrow keys are not needed if you have a dpad. I also don't see any reason for an enter key for example. Basically in most games you can remap keys, so if you just added say 8 keyboard style keys they could be larger and you still have an additional 8 keys to use. :D

Cos.tan is Sin

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2015, 08:50:25 am »
I am being lurking around this forum for a while and I am interested in whether a secondary touchscreen instead of the keyboard would be plausible (for the second design)

Deen0X

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2015, 10:08:37 am »
my setup:

track pads for analog trigger buttons. These trackpads can be disabled from some button or config.

Fn buttons for modify the behavior of the buttons when working as keyboard.

SONY

• !
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2015, 01:04:05 pm »

Number 2 please, right now!

(why not just post this under the GPD account?  :-\)

1. Get rid of the camera, who is gonna use that really?
2. Ensure the screen is as big as possible.
3. 4 shoulder buttons please!!!!!!!!
4. Keep it white, white things are gorgeous. Got enough black devices..

Agreed.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

eragon2890

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2015, 02:37:01 pm »
my setup:

track pads for analog trigger buttons. These trackpads can be disabled from some button or config.

Fn buttons for modify the behavior of the buttons when working as keyboard.

don?t forget the spaceship launch pad, kitchen sink, and automatic lawn mower in there!

No but seriously, I figure that?s a bit too crowded.

I would like the XD design (EXACTLY the XD design) but with less mushy face buttons. Everything else is fine. Please no q9 dpad, it?s too large for the XD shell and breaks easier.

Deen0X

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2015, 02:53:48 pm »
well, about DPAD there are lot of opinions.

i really prefer the Q9 DPAD. is the best DPAD i used on any android console, and i really want to get this piece on XD.
current DPAD is ... enough, but not the best choice (and is so small)

and for the rest of the design, i respect the original XD form and layout. simply add some buttons (not so much), biggest screen (rumours mentioned 5.5") and the DPAD. the rest is exactly the same design

lemmywinks

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2015, 03:37:40 pm »
The buttons for mouse mode, xinput mode and touch keyboard are great ideas, GPD should include those.
Also a button to switch between Windows and Metro modes as well as a Windows key would be very useful.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Post a new topic