Author Topic: windows handheld device  (Read 163466 times)

brushpicks11

Re: windows handheld device
« Reply #1000 on: March 16, 2016, 08:09:34 pm »
I'm curious about the return policy on the indiegogo campaign. What happens if my device is defective upon receiving it? Did I just throw 300$ down the drain? At least when GPD sells on amazon and other 3rd party retailers they have a return policy at least giving you the peace of mind that you will in the end get a working unit

redlemon

« Reply #1001 on: March 16, 2016, 08:27:51 pm »
I wouldn't be so sure about an e-ink screen for anything even remotely related to gaming. They generally have glass in the screen which makes them quite fragile and their response times aren't great as far as I know.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #1002 on: March 16, 2016, 09:58:31 pm »
In terms of refresh times, that relates to the rate the screen refreshes. The time it takes to register a key press is not related at all to e ink.  That's a completely different technology. Just to clarify though , this would only be for the Keyboard area, not the gaming buttons.

Also, the keyboard has hard plastic domed key caps, There is a HW component to this - it's not just about the e ink aspect.  So its actually similiar to a normal HW keyboard, that's why I thought it was good. As you can see in the videos , typing on it is flawless.

As I said, considering the e ink display was on a phone 7 years ago , a phone that sold for $80. So it must have been super cheap then , now given 7 years have passed , it should be dirt cheap as it's not new tech anymore. Probably $5 at most as a guess.   Actually , looking at Alibaba, about $5 or less seems about right
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:10:17 pm by vcoleiro1 »

­

« Reply #1003 on: March 16, 2016, 10:43:22 pm »
eInk keycaps and a custom software for changing key layouts seems pretty ideal, but you have to wonder if it's cheaper and more durable than just keyboard LEDs that light up whenever you select a common input method (numpad, QWERTY, etc.).

That being said, it would make the keyboard open to an entirely different crowd. AZERTY, Mandarin Chinese, Russian - they would all be displayed right there. Plus, you can switch to gaming mode, and have keys act like macro buttons or auxiliary input methods.

It's a thing to consider, at the very least.

AVahne

« Reply #1004 on: March 17, 2016, 01:25:59 am »
I'm curious about the return policy on the indiegogo campaign. What happens if my device is defective upon receiving it? Did I just throw 300$ down the drain? At least when GPD sells on amazon and other 3rd party retailers they have a return policy at least giving you the peace of mind that you will in the end get a working unit

With indiegogo and any other crowdfunding site, you're just donating money with the POSSIBILITY of getting a product in return. You're not preordering anything nor are you buying something, so of course that means there is no return policy (afaik at least).
Now, that's just how these kinds of sites work. If GPD decides they want to open up returns and replacements for the indiegogo units, they'll probably do that themselves. They'll likely just ask people to send them emails or something.

masterofstuff124

« Reply #1005 on: March 17, 2016, 02:01:11 am »
i thought indiego was different then kickstarter. indie gogo you have to deliver.
"Space does tend to take your breath away"

vcoleiro1

« Reply #1006 on: March 17, 2016, 02:50:18 am »
A few things,

1)  GPD are an established comany, it's very unlikely they are going to take your money and run.  If they did that, that would be the end of their company.

2)  I'm not sure about Indiegogo, but Kickstarter states that a project must deliver it's perks or refund backers money.  If they cannot, they must return what they can and account for the missing portion.  They also make it clear that they are not in the picture and a campaign can be sued by backers which has happened in the past.

3)  The fallacy that KS and Indiegogo are donations.  To put it simply, they are not in the picture.   The contract is between you and the company running the campaign.   What is important is that when a campaign perk says you pay X, and we will give you Y, then that constitutes a contract of sale under US and most other countries laws of sale.   It's that simple, KS and Indiegogo are the intermediaries, just like an ISP is an intermediary between you and a web site.  By backing a campaign and pledging for a perk, your contract is between the campaign company and you, and you are covered by US etc laws of sale. ie it most definitely is not a donation.  The only time it could be seen as such is if the perk explicitly says it is.   
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:54:18 am by vcoleiro1 »

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #1007 on: March 17, 2016, 03:59:04 am »

Hello,This is kendy from GPD company.Thanks so much for your kind support for GPD WIN.And about your concerning about the return policy,please totally don't worry.We are a established company.We will be sure that we will sent you the intact and perfect perks first!!Even if you get a defective perks with Minimum probability.You can contact us for exchange or return until you get the intact perk!!You can leave a massage through INDIEGOGO or our official facebook,twitter or via mail.It's all can communicate with us!!

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #1008 on: March 17, 2016, 04:03:05 am »
A few things,

1)  GPD are an established comany, it's very unlikely they are going to take your money and run.  If they did that, that would be the end of their company.

2)  I'm not sure about Indiegogo, but Kickstarter states that a project must deliver it's perks or refund backers money.  If they cannot, they must return what they can and account for the missing portion.  They also make it clear that they are not in the picture and a campaign can be sued by backers which has happened in the past.

3)  The fallacy that KS and Indiegogo are donations.  To put it simply, they are not in the picture.   The contract is between you and the company running the campaign.   What is important is that when a campaign perk says you pay X, and we will give you Y, then that constitutes a contract of sale under US and most other countries laws of sale.   It's that simple, KS and Indiegogo are the intermediaries, just like an ISP is an intermediary between you and a web site.  By backing a campaign and pledging for a perk, your contract is between the campaign company and you, and you are covered by US etc laws of sale. ie it most definitely is not a donation.  The only time it could be seen as such is if the perk explicitly says it is.   

Really thanks for your kind explanation!!We are promise you all can get the intact and perfect perk in any case!!

Deen0X

« Reply #1009 on: March 17, 2016, 08:31:49 am »
maybe there are some pharses in english that need a better redaction on the indiegogo.
i read some parts that give to you the idea that you're are donating "for free" your money. i understand what the campaign want to say but my advice for GPD is: looking for a guy english native speaking that help to you to redact correctly your text in english. (of course, i'm not the guy, because my english is so rude and limited. I'm spanish spoken).

With correct language you will not able to get misunderstandings, and improve the confidence of new consumers on your company.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #1010 on: March 17, 2016, 09:34:59 am »
The $5 backer level is worded so that it sounds like a donation, because it is a donation. Although it could be worded a lot better, the gist is correct.  Donate $5 to support the campaign .   A lot of campaigns have this.

aidaho

« Reply #1011 on: March 25, 2016, 12:00:03 pm »
Hi guys.

It seems like there is a well established opinion, that layouts suggested a few pages ago are superior to initial renders.

I've registered just to put my opinion here on why they are not. 

Like anyone here, I'm for more well centered keyboard too, but without changes to the layout.
Slavic-alphabet based languages use ":;" and "/?" keys (and several others) in order to fit longer alphabet into standard US layout.
Moving these keys will wreck a havoc on the typing experience, as it breaks keyboard representation ingrained in memory.
An understandable analogy to the English-speaking users would be to move, say "U J M" key column, to the far left, placing it before "Q A Z". Does this sound usable to you?

Making a good layout is "easy" in a sense that the less you are messing with reference, the better results would be.
Mad props for GPD WIN team for not sacrificing any key adjacent to the right part of alphabet block, retaining full set of Ctrl's and Alt's, Super and not throwing out Menu.
Escape moved tilda sideways, but I can get why people love their Escapes in the upper-left corner.
For this very reason my only suggestion to original layout is to swap Fn and Ctrl. Bottom-left corner belongs to the Ctrl and Ctrl alone.

All in all, if I'm to pick something from existing images, I put my vote on original layout from the GPD WIN team.

brushpicks11

« Reply #1012 on: March 25, 2016, 05:04:52 pm »

For this very reason my only suggestion to original layout is to swap Fn and Ctrl. Bottom-left corner belongs to the Ctrl and Ctrl alone.

All in all, if I'm to pick something from existing images, I put my vote on original layout from the GPD WIN team.

I cannot agree more Fn should be swapped with Ctrl. On every laptop I've ever owned Fn was to the RIGHT of Ctrl it is very weird to have it to the left. Everything else is perfect with this device. I hope GPD team can make this extremely minor but quite important tweak

Saber

« Reply #1013 on: March 26, 2016, 10:15:37 am »

I cannot agree more Fn should be swapped with Ctrl. On every laptop I've ever owned Fn was to the RIGHT of Ctrl it is very weird to have it to the left. Everything else is perfect with this device. I hope GPD team can make this extremely minor but quite important tweak
Most keyboards I've owned had Fn at the bottom left corner. I understand why people want Ctrl to be there, but then again we do have an abundance of two Ctrl keys for those shortcuts. I also see people using Fn more often than Left(but not Right) Ctrl if the windows table of keyboard shortcuts wiki is anything to reference. Fn in the corner also makes accessing that layer quicker if placed there for Home and End, hopefully placed together with pgUp and pgDn, and for toggling F11. 

aidaho

« Reply #1014 on: March 27, 2016, 11:32:19 am »
I also see people using Fn more often than Left(but not Right) Ctrl
I feel like if we are to argue deviations from "standard" based on key frequency, this brings us to DVORAK long before we get to the functional keys.

I'm typing this from the miniscule Sony VAIO-P, which doesn't have dedicated PgUp PgDn, and Fn to the right of the Ctrl. Still, I have no trouble hitting it, just from the fact that my mind know it's there. 
Now, admittedly, there is a fair amount of bias going on, as I'm choosing only devices where Fn lies starboard of Ctrl (or could be remapped in bios), but Control owned the corner long before Fn was even a thing.

And as I've tried to point out earlier, continuity more often than not provides quite a bit more value to the user.
Otherwise I wouldn't be typing this on QWERTY keyboard.

­

« Reply #1015 on: March 27, 2016, 02:07:01 pm »
I'm with aidaho on this one. QWERTY keyboard has become the standard, not only for English - but for other languages as well that require the user to know by heart the key locations without them being printed on the key caps.
Another justification would be that we don't need to reinvent the wheel. Relying on tried and true concepts is not only easier to adpot, but also easier to implement.

Anyway, GPD has said that their design is final, so any change we propose is moot. I don't know why this discussion is still ongoing - we don't have any new info on the device, and even if we did it doesn't really matter until people will get the device in their hands to try it out and test the build quality, how obstructive is the keyboard, performance, etc. I think that it's all that matters now that we know that the design is final.

Deen0X

« Reply #1016 on: March 27, 2016, 02:31:08 pm »
I'm spanish user, and my keyboard is special because there are some extra keys that Spaniard keyboard have, but i understand that GPD will not generate different versions of their device based on the keyboard, then i understand that english is the standard and is fine for most people.

i seriously doubt that GPD will generate other variant of their keyboard. simply they will put any functional and common (standard) for reach more people.

Most people know how to use english keyboard even when is not their native language. my case is clear, on english keyboard, we know that ";" is "?", and this way another keys. yes, you must learn to use it this way, but is a quick learning, and well, from windows you can use "alt" + "shift" and switch between the different keyboards you configured on the system.

The fn key, well, considering the keyboard is not balanced, the location of this key may not so critical in my opinion, because will not fix the main problem of the keyboard layout.

Berryal

« Reply #1017 on: March 31, 2016, 01:27:59 pm »
We can rejoice! 5GHz WiFi all round! :D

"Considering many contributions hope win can support dual channel WiFi,so we decide to change the single channel Wi-Fi chip into dual channel Wi-Fi chip.So it means GPD WIN now can  support  2.4GHz and  5GHz dual  channel wireless connection.  That? s to say. GPD WIN can  both support  802.11b/g/n and 802.11a. The former chip can run WiDi  technology. But for this modification,This dual channel chip can only support Miracast, While it should don?t affect the players demands of mobile wireless projection. Cause Miracast and WiDi is shared."

leafar