Author Topic: Updating graphics driver with Intel Driver Update Utility  (Read 509 times)

Alien Grey (OP)

Updating graphics driver with Intel Driver Update Utility
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:39:08 pm »
I'm using the Intel Driver Update Utility with my GPD Win to update the graphics driver. The past few days it's showing me that there's an update and that I should download and install driver 15.46.

My question is how am I supposed to do that?

This driver doesn't seem to be compatible. I also tried to install this driver manually from the Windows Device Manager but that makes no difference. I also tried to install 15.45 drivers but that also didn't work.

Is it possible to use the 15.46 and 15.45 drivers or are the 15.40 drivers the only drivers that are compatible?
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

skelton

Re: Updating graphics driver with Intel Driver Update Utility
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:32:03 pm »
I think only 15.40 are compatible. I think 15.45 and 46 are for skylake and newer generations
Retired

Alien Grey (OP)

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:43 am »
That's right. These drivers don't work with the GPD Win. It's strange that the Intel Driver Update Utility shows these driver versions as compatible. Maybe this is just with Windows 10 Creators Update because I did update my GPD Win a few days a go. I already regret I did this.

Some games and emus are broken with Windows 10 Creators Update. There's a bug that brakes these games and emus running in fullscreen. It doesn't seem to be caused by the Intel graphics drivers because I've tried it with the basic MicroSoft driver and it doesn't fix it.

The games I'm talking about is OnEscapee and Escape From Monkey Island. The emus are Kega Fusion and DOSBox.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

Maniac

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:14:14 pm »
Alien Grey, are you referring to the bug where the right 1/3 of the screen is black? You can fix this using dgVoodoo2 or changing the emulator to use a different renderer.

Alien Grey (OP)

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 02:03:47 pm »
It's the bug where the right side is black.

I've tried using a different renderer with DOSBox but that is only a partial fix. I din't try dgVooDoo2 but I've got NGlide installed on my GPD Win. OnEscapee and Escape From Monkey Island worked fine before updating to Windows 10 Creators Update. Disabling high dpi with Kega Fusion also no longer works to make it run fullscreen with Windows 10 Creators Update.

Alien Grey (OP)

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 09:10:26 am »
I installed Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil to try out on my GPD Win. This game needs NGlide or dgVooDoo2. NGlide doesn't work with Windows 10 Creators Update although it's supposed to be compatible with Windows 10. But it's possible to get the game running with dgVooDoo2.

I could fix OnEscapee with dgVooDoo2. It's also possible to use dgVooDoo2 with Kega Fusion to make it run fullscreen again but the problem is that the performance goes from 60fps to 15fps. Using dgVooDoo2 with Escape Monkey Island didn't fix everything but it's also possible to play this game with ResidualVM. Using dgVooDoo2 with DOSBox didn't work and if it did it would probably only make the performance worse.

Edit: For getting Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil to run you also need a No CD patch and a virtual CD drive. You can easily make a virtual CD/DVD drive with WinCDEmu to mount your CD/DVD image files.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:18:35 am by Alien Grey »

Maniac

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:36:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can change Dosbox to use opengl.

Also, you are probably aware of this, but:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/405830/Turok_2_Seeds_of_Evil/

Alien Grey (OP)

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 01:27:01 pm »
It doesn't make much difference if you use OpenGL as renderer for DOSBox. It might fix some games but others are still broken. Just try the game Alien Virus with DOSBox and use OpenGL as renderer. The game starts fine, FMV's still have the the 1/3 black screen and you can't play the game because the mouse is locked.

I've got the Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil CD version. It came bundled with my ASUS TNT graphics card a very long time a go.

Edit: I've found the problem with DOSBox. It isn't possible to use HQ filters any more. I changed it to Advance Upscaling with a factor of 3 and everything runs fine now with OpenGL as renderer.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:31:16 pm by Alien Grey »

Alien Grey (OP)

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 08:01:04 pm »
It's possible to make Kega Fusion run full screen and full speed with dgVooDoo2. You've got to disable the render plugins. If you did enable a render plugin and want to disable it you've got to edit the fusion.ini. Look for DRenderMode= and change it to DRenderMode=0.

Edit: You don't need dgVooDoo2 to run Kega Fusion in full screen with Windows 10 Creators Update. Just download and install the Kega Fusion low framerate fix. You can download it here: http://segaretro.org/Kega_Fusion
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:21:12 pm by Alien Grey »

Alien Grey (OP)

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 09:50:10 am »
You can also fix the full screen issue with DDrawCompat. It's seems to be a bit faster than dgVooDoo2. It can be downloaded here: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases

I could fix onEscapee and Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil with it.

I prefer to use DDrawCompat because I can keep the aspect ratio with the game onEscapee. That didn't work with dgVooDoo2 so everyhting was stretched full screen.

I've tried it with DOSBox because I prefer to use ddraw but it didn't work.  :(

It's obvious that Windows 10 Creators Update has some serious ddraw compatibility issues.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:53:16 am by Alien Grey »

Post a new topic