Author Topic: The problem of your GPD WIN  (Read 165848 times)

Faceless

Re: The problem of your GPD WIN
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2016, 11:24:37 pm »
To everybody running into display driver issues, have you tried this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946

Also.. my device is getting pretty hot when not using the fan on full power. Any new information about that?
There seem to be no demanding processes running in the background as far as I can tell. Any clues on what to look for?

Thanks in advance. Keep up the good work!

Gravity17

« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2016, 11:27:13 pm »
Hi Kendy,

I received my GPD Win today (in the UK) and I have the display driver crashing issue. I have tried everything on this thread to try and fix it, including the following:-

• Installed the driver you suggested
  • Disabled Touch Keyboard and Handwriting panel Service Properties
  • Turned off the rotation sensors
  • Changed the intel graphic options
  • Reinstalled Intel drivers using driver utility
  • Reinstalled Intel drivers using windows update

None of the above has fixed the issue, does it need to be returned for repair/replacement?

Thanks,

Jason.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:50:24 pm by Gravity17 »

Smoker1

« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2016, 12:37:27 am »
Got my GPD Win Yesterday from Amazon. Took 7 Days total which is AWESOME!!!!!

Problems:
Make sure to have the Device OFF and also Plugged in with the Power Cable. Now try turning it on. Get the GPD Screen.......Rotating Circle......2 Icons on the Upper Left........suddenly a Power Screen showing it is Charging or Charged/Plugged In.........Shut Off????????? Thought I was trying to turn in ON???????

The L1 and R1 Buttons seem a little Wobbly like they are loose or something.

Dont know what it is, but 1 Game wont detect the Controller even when I switch back and forth between DInput or XInput. I even made sure to be in XInput Mode (360 Control Mode) Prior to running the Game. Nothing. But it works fine on my PC with a Actual 360 Wireless Controller.

Speaker should have been placed in a much better spot on the Device. Try running a Game and you are muffling the Sound.

Instruction Sheet should show what the X Button by the Power Button is for. Apparently it has nothing to do with the XInput Mode (360 Controller) Functions. Apparently it is for Screen Capture either by Video or Picture or go to the XBox Live. To me, might be different Opinion for others, but this is useless to me.

The Silicon Joystick cover or Wrap like on the GPD XD is coming apart. Like it is sub-par material.

Dont know if it is my Card, or the Hardware, but the MicroSD/TF Card Speed is kind of Slow. Using a brand new SanDisk 200GB MicroSD. Kind of the same thing with my USB 3.0 SSD. Speed is great on my PC. But connected to the GPD Win.......kind of slower.

Not sure if it is the Device or the App, but BlueStacks (Android Emulator) seems to only work/look good under Portrait Mode. Landscape looks like crap.

Also tried Installing a Game, but when it got to 99-100%...........yeah.......everything just stopped Installing. Like the DVD Drive just stopped, the USB Drive went Inactive..........yeah.

I mean for now since it is the only Windows Based Gaming/Emulation System with attached Controller/Keyboard, hey, at least it is something. Just got to hope another Company or GPD Improve on the Design with another Release or Development of a new Device. Would be nice if they could allow for mSATA Cards to be used as Storage. You only get 48-49GB left to play with. Goes so fast

RetroVortex

« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2016, 01:08:27 am »
To everybody running into display driver issues, have you tried this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946

Also.. my device is getting pretty hot when not using the fan on full power. Any new information about that?
There seem to be no demanding processes running in the background as far as I can tell. Any clues on what to look for?

Thanks in advance. Keep up the good work!

Have you studied task manager yet?
Keep an eye on the process Windows Module Installer, see if, even on idle your cpu is being used up more than 15% or so. Sort by biggest cpu usage. Windows update can add quite a lot of extra load to the CPU I've noticed.
And it's sneaky and you can't exactly turn it off in Windows 10 or get it to install updates one by one.
(What I did was change that service to manual and windows update to manual. Then if that process runs and I don't want it to I can end task it to save cpu and it won't reboot itself.)

Edit: oh and I wouldn't recommend using AVG or Firefox on this. AVG is irritatingly paranoid and false flags a ton of things, and constantly scans, and Firefox is kind of bloaty.
Chrome and Avast have been an ok combo so far. at least with Avast you can easily disable and then re-enable after you've finished playing games on it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:13:55 am by RetroVortex »

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2016, 01:30:32 am »
My GPD has an issue with the screen, not quite sure what to do about it. It's not the graphics driver, as the problem also exists in the BIOS.

Any idea what could cause my problem? The screen is extremely distorted, especially when displaying white parts there are like scanlines shattered left and right of it.

Just retested it in my lunch break and it got worse: now about a tenth of the screen at the bottom does not display anything but stripes. How do I proceed for a repair?

Please send a email to: [email protected]
Please put "repair machine(your Pledge ID+your country)" as the email subject. and attached your indiegogo order screenshot and the problem of your GPD WIN.
Can your be able to repair a screen by yourself? and we can provide the teach video.

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2016, 01:32:09 am »
Hi Kendy,

My Games freeze intermittently and I get a warning in the Event Viewer System Log that says:
Display driver igfxLP stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I have tried:
1. The drivers you linked to earlier (4256) - no effect
2. The 4539 beta drivers - no effect
3. Disabling both Kionix sensor devices (this seems to have reduced the freezes)
4. Using the Fan on Low (middle setting), rather than High (initial tests suggests this reduces the freezes)
5. Enabling IGD Thermal
6. Enabling DTS

I have also:
1. Run the Windows Memory Tester (no issues found)
2. Checked my temperatures (they've never gone over 78C - with Fan on high it freezes as early as 65C, with Fan on low it freezes as early as 74C. After recovering, both will go higher though.).

Also, side question:
You had said on the IGG Campaign that the GPD Win would support S3 sleep. I can't get it to support S3 sleep, it only supports Connected Standby. I've tried the following:
1. Making sure the ACPI settings in the Bios have S3 (Suspend to Ram) enabled
2. Disabled S0ix support in the bios for the CPU
3. Set the CSenabled registry setting to 0 - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled

However, powercfg /a still doesn't list S3 as a supported sleep state. Any ideas?

*edit* looks like the BIOS needs to support setting this flag to disabled:
ACPI_S0_LOW_POWER_IDLE FADT

Can we get a bios setting to add that? I want S3 sleep, not connected standby.

Thanks!

Sorry,I am not so clear about the BIOS...

For the games freeze,
Please try the following method:
Make your WIN back to the desktop first
Press WIN+R buttons in the same time.
then appears a RUN windows.
then type the command: services. MSC,then press OK.
then your will bring into a Services(local)Windows.
then try to find a file named"Touch Keyboard and Handwriting panel Servicr Properties"
then double-click this file.
then find the Startup type,and change it Disabled.

Hope it is useful.

Hi Kendy,

I've actually already disabled that service. I also have already done these steps:
If it is not useful,Please try press the right button of the mouse.
then find Graphics Properties to find the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.
Then click the power icon,change the Extended Battery Life for Gaming and Display Power Saving Technology to Disable.

To be clear, I had done these steps prior to reporting a problem. So I have the "Display driver igfxLP stopped responding and has successfully recovered." even after doing these steps.

Thanks!

Alright...Please return it to us.we will repair it then send back to your.
Please put "repair machine(your Pledge ID+your country)" as the email subject. and attached your indiegogo order screenshot and the problem of your GPD WIN.

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2016, 01:34:20 am »
Headphone jack slot issue:

I have issue with my headphone jack slot. When I plug in, any sound will come out from the speaker. But when I unplug it, it doesn't have any sound and I get "High Volume can cause hearing loss". Its seems like turn the other way round. Is it a hardware problem or driver problem? Tried reinstall the audio driver but problem still exist. Pls help!

https://youtu.be/hIK2lj32hGU

Sorry for the issue.Please return it to us.We will repair it then sent it back to your.

« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2016, 02:28:04 am »
I don't know if it's what everyone is taking about crashing

Every steam game ,3D mark , or heavy emulator I use ( dolphin for exemple ) screen goes black yet I Can hear  the sound continues. It's not even hot (70) and only the application is black if I use windowed nose only the windows of the game or emulator or black not my desktop

Any idea ?

xKevinn

« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2016, 02:37:16 am »
Will shipping fees be provided/paid-for? I don't want to spend another $40+ to send it back, when people in the same campaign receive the same product as us, but fully functional.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:40:51 am by xKevinn »

RoflCopterizm

« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2016, 02:43:54 am »
I also have the graphics crash issue, some times the unit completely turns off but usually I get the message that the graphics driver has crashed and has recovered...some times I get a message saying that the application has been blocked from accessing the gpu hardware.

I have tried:

-Latest drivers from intel (via windows update and intel update utility).
-BETA drivers.
-Drivers recommended by Kendy.
-Modified 'improved' drivers.
-Some BIOS changes, including a reset to defaults.
-System updated with all windows updates including Anniversary.
-Re-install of windows 10 ISO (from microsoft.com).
-Setting the fan on Off/Low or high, no difference.
-Running games from internal storage or MicroSD/TransFlash.
-Disabled screen rotation, disabled hand writing service as per Kendy (this seemed to improve things, but today it's just as bad as before).

Tests:
-Morrowind - Runs ok, this is a modded version and is playable fps wise, but gpu crashes.
-Torchlight 2 - Runs insanely smooth, but once again gpu crashes.
-Need for Speed Underground 2 - Runs very well, gpu crashes.
-3d mark 2000 and 2004 - 2000 application crashes during tests but can run demo for an hour without issues, 2004 gpu driver stops responding then recovers often then application crashes.
-Furmark - Runs fine for 30min test.
-Chrome Youtube 720P - GPU crashes every minute or so.

The system idles at 50c and tops out about 75c which is well within the design spec for this SOC.

RoflCopterizm

« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2016, 02:45:31 am »
Alerts range from application being blocked from accessing gpu hardware to the common driver has stopped responding but has recovered.

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2016, 03:02:26 am »
I just received my GPD Win today and it seems to be working fine for the most part. I only ran into one error which has to do with the controller. The D-Pad, Right Nub and triggers seem to work fine. However, the left nub seems to be stuck and dragging downwards (with mouse mode, it seems to be continously moving downwards even when I am not even touching it).

Not sure how I can fix this one as it is causing a lot of problems when playing 3D games (emulators and sprite based simple games seem to work fine). The strange thing is that it is working well with games like Hyper Light Drifter, Owlboy, Undertale...yet it is having considerable problems with Fallout 3/New Vegas and Skyrim. Not to mention the mouse controls seem remarkably odd as the right nub only seems to control going up and the left seems to only work going left and right AND up and down in an odd way. It's hard to explain.

Other than that, the GPD is working perfectly.

Sorry,i am a little confused with your problem...
Your D-pad is wrong? it seems the D-pad is non-function in mouse mode originally....

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2016, 03:04:41 am »
Hi Kendy,

My Games freeze intermittently and I get a warning in the Event Viewer System Log that says:

I have tried:
3. Disabling both Kionix sensor devices (this seems to have reduced the freezes)
4. Using the Fan on Low (middle setting), rather than High (initial tests suggests this reduces the freezes)
5. Enabling IGD Thermal
6. Enabling DTS

I have also:
2. Checked my temperatures (they've never gone over 78C - with Fan on high it freezes as early as 65C, with Fan on low it freezes as early as 74C. After recovering, both will go higher though.).

Also, side question:
You had said on the IGG Campaign that the GPD Win would support S3 sleep. I can't get it to support S3 sleep, it only supports Connected Standby. I've tried the following:
3. Set the CSenabled registry setting to 0 - HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled

However, powercfg /a still doesn't list S3 as a supported sleep state. Any ideas

Thanks!

Hi kendy,

I am having the exact same issue unfortunately. Any idea how this can be fixed? I love the device but I am a bit upset that I spent more time on searching how to fix things instead of enjoying games. If you cant fix it soon I will return it to the retailer DragonBox where i bought it. Thanks

@kendyzhu777 I tried all your recommendations disabling the touch and handwriting + the intel hd battery thing, still crashes. What should I do? Return my device?

Yes,return it to us please.

« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2016, 03:07:08 am »
I don't know if it's what everyone is taking about crashing

Every steam game ,3D mark , or heavy emulator I use ( dolphin for exemple ) screen goes black yet I Can hear  the sound continues. It's not even hot (70) and only the application is black if I use windowed nose only the windows of the game or emulator or black not my desktop

Any idea ?

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2016, 08:50:56 am »
Hi Kendy,

I fail in setting of BIOS and have not started it any more. :'(
Is there a way of CMOS clear?

Please boot your devices first to check the led lights or not.
If the led lights,please use a HDMI cable to connect GPD WIN to a TV. Let the TV as the display of GPD WIN.
Then boot the GPD WIN and press DEL button in the same time.To turn into the BIOS interface.
Then press Fn+3 in the same time to defaults all of BIOS setting.

If this method is not useful.Please try to update your BIOS.Here is the download link of GPD WIN BIOS.:
https://mega.nz/#!tZRxgZQZ!CYQhguxqoO0YPMvLKL2Sh6cJUcMYyJ8TUnYjNj8pUwI

Dadkins1600

« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2016, 10:24:47 am »
Kendy, I am having problems with the touchscreen. All settings  on the GPD Win have touchscreen enabled; however, it does not function. Tapping the screen does nothing.

QuillOmega0

« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2016, 10:43:48 am »
Having the display driver crash when I play graphically intense games like Skyrim, Portal, Portal 2, Fallout 3 - New Vegas.

Strangely it does not crash on Borderlands.

I've tried all the display drivers, beta display drivers and the display driver linked earlier but no change.

Maniac

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2016, 10:49:35 am »
Hi Kendy,

I have tried:
5. Enabling IGD Thermal
6. Enabling DTS

I have also:

Also, side question:

However, powercfg /a still doesn't list S3 as a supported sleep state. Any ideas?

*edit* looks like the BIOS needs to support setting this flag to disabled:
ACPI_S0_LOW_POWER_IDLE FADT

Can we get a bios setting to add that? I want S3 sleep, not connected standby.

Thanks!

Sorry,I am not so clear about the BIOS...

For the games freeze,
Please try the following method:
Make your WIN back to the desktop first
Press WIN+R buttons in the same time.
then appears a RUN windows.
then type the command: services. MSC,then press OK.
then your will bring into a Services(local)Windows.
then try to find a file named"Touch Keyboard and Handwriting panel Servicr Properties"
then double-click this file.
then find the Startup type,and change it Disabled.

Hope it is useful.

Hi Kendy,

I've actually already disabled that service. I also have already done these steps:
If it is not useful,Please try press the right button of the mouse.
then find Graphics Properties to find the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.
Then click the power icon,change the Extended Battery Life for Gaming and Display Power Saving Technology to Disable.

To be clear, I had done these steps prior to reporting a problem. So I have the "Display driver igfxLP stopped responding and has successfully recovered." even after doing these steps.

Thanks!

Alright...Please return it to us.we will repair it then send back to your.
Will do, thanks Kendy!

KB

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2016, 01:25:39 pm »
Hi, I have a problem with my WIN turning itself off randomly when the lid is closed/it's sleeping.
It happens very often when it's charging, but sometimes it also happens when I just close it and put it away for a short amount of time. I don't think overheating is the cause, because even when it doesn't get that hot and I put it in my pocket or whatever, it still shuts down sometimes.

It's working great otherwise, but effortless suspending and resuming is one of the things I love the most with handhelds so this is really frustrating.

RetroVortex

« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2016, 01:26:42 pm »
So for the people who are having issues with random cutting to black screen without overheating I think I may have discovered the culprit.

The latest drivers from Intel, (4501) when I installed them caused the random black screens (with fan still on) for me.
BUT. Fortunately I made a system restore point and reverted back to 4331 drivers which was on my device by default.

Ok. Now I'm going to be brave and install the latest beta drivers manually (instead of using the driver updater).
(The ones with the fixes for FIFA 17 and battlefield 1)
Edit: note: these drivers are newer than the ones the update tool provides and so far they may be more stable than 4501
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:20:37 pm by RetroVortex »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic