Author Topic: Steam Shortcuts on Start Menu!  (Read 2974 times)

PowerLion1 (OP)

Steam Shortcuts on Start Menu!
« on: December 03, 2016, 07:01:23 pm »
I thought I would share the method I use for launching steam games easily while keeping the desktop nice and clean.  It allows you to put the shortcuts for Steam games into the Start Menu.

Creating "Steam Games" folder.
  • Open Run command (Win+R) and type "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"
  • Right-mouse click and select "New" then "Folder"
  • Name it "Steam Games"

Creating Shortcut
  • Launch Steam
  • Right click on game and select "Create Desktop Shortcut"
  • Highlight shortcut on Desktop
  • Right-click and select "Cut"
  • Open Run command (Win+R) and type "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Steam Games"
  • Right-mouse click and select "Paste"
  • Restart Windows so it finds the new shortcuts
  • On start menu, go to the game under the "Steam Games" folder
  • Right-mouse click and "Pin to start"
  • Drag the icon to where you like.

I find it a lot easier and quicker to run games this way, and it you don't have to launch steam every time to run a game.

Also, you can create different categories for different microSD cards but leave all the shortcuts under the Steam Folder.  For example, have a category that says Steam Card 1, Steam Card 2, etc.  This way you know which card the game is on if you use multiple microSD cards.

I hope others find this method useful!

Macatron

Re: Steam Shortcuts on Start Menu!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 08:26:48 pm »
Whoa! This is definitely cool! Thanks for sharing! :D

elwing

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 08:25:53 am »
Does this allow you to play games directly before steam finally propose the offline mode? Because waiting for that at every startup is the annoying point...

PowerLion1 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:02:21 am »
Does this allow you to play games directly before steam finally propose the offline mode? Because waiting for that at every startup is the annoying point...

I'm not sure.  i just use this as a easier way to launch steam games.

shinkamui

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 02:29:55 am »

No.  If you're annoyed with steams start up connection time, you can either start it at boot and leave it in offline mode all the time, or just start it at boot and leave it in the tray. :)  So I guess you really don't have any extra options.   Steam's not the most light weight app, but as long as you're not using big picture, leaving it running all the time should be relatively negligible.  It will also swap out pretty much immediately if your system needs the ram and you turned off the overlay.

Faust

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:35:06 am »
You can download Smart steam emu if you want to get rid of steam.