• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: So I rip my fan switch cable  (Read 4093 times)

exorio (OP)

So I rip my fan switch cable
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:21:07 am »
.... and the battery seems to have deteriorate because I experienced random reboots. Though it is not swollen.

This is GPD Win 1 backer edition BTW, and they fixed the first reboot problems. It was fine for couple of years.

Just some questions, since I'm really green about electrical. Would it be worth it to just take off the fan? Since I cannot use it anyway. The main reason I ask because I never gone further than opening the bottom shell.

Will that make the voltage required by the hardware lower? I probably should be able to get cheaper batteries since there're more space with the fan off.

While doing that I probably will attempt to replace the heatpad on the processor with copper plate (like in phawx' video).

kendyzhu777

Re: So I rip my fan switch cable
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 10:46:20 am »
I saw some third party battery on ebay, you might check that.
Now no more official WIN 1 battery because Win1 already stopped produce for years.

exorio (OP)

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 12:22:46 pm »
I saw some third party battery on ebay, you might check that.
Now no more official WIN 1 battery because Win1 already stopped produce for years.

yeah but those are very expensive. Let alone there's no guarantee I will receive them, since it requires shit tons of papers to get into an airplane. I've lost a battery I bought from Aliexpress.

Don't worry about it, I understand why you guys don't provide these anymore. I was more than happy with my device throughout the years, though it have flaws but it's a great device nevertheless. And your team was a champ handling my nagging on the first batch of random reboots.

Anyway 3.7 volts output be sufficient though? I can find these locally everywhere, around 2000-5000mah. Without the fan there should be more space within the lower case. Or is there any way to downclock the device so it requires less volts?

And while you're here, these ingenic and rockchip devices are popping anywhere. Don't the team want to jump in the bandwagon? You have the experience and great support, so I'll be looking forward to your lower-end devices (I cannot afford win max or any other iterations of GPD devices).

lemmywinks

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 08:05:24 pm »
Whereabouts are you? I ordered a Sunda battery on eBay in the UK last year for 32 pounds, there are still some in the EU but they are more expensive:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8V-SUNDA8448104-6700mAh-Li-ion-Battery-for-GPD-Win/401610578320?hash=item5d81db1990:g:HtgAAOSwqeVbtHae

Also don't ever order from Jenova/Dreamesper store, you'll lose your money.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Alien Grey

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 01:06:23 pm »
Anyway 3.7 volts output be sufficient though? I can find these locally everywhere, around 2000-5000mah. Without the fan there should be more space within the lower case. Or is there any way to downclock the device so it requires less volts?

You can limit the power consumption with changing the Max CPU from 100% to 99%. This also helps to keep the GPD Win cooler but off course this also limits the CPU power a lot.

If you do need a new battery don't buy the cheap compatible batteries from Aliexpress. They are worhtless and just a waste of money.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:13:10 pm by Alien Grey »
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

exorio (OP)

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 07:32:25 pm »
Whereabouts are you? I ordered a Sunda battery on eBay in the UK last year for 32 pounds, there are still some in the EU but they are more expensive:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8V-SUNDA8448104-6700mAh-Li-ion-Battery-for-GPD-Win/401610578320?hash=item5d81db1990:g:HtgAAOSwqeVbtHae

Also don't ever order from Jenova/Dreamesper store, you'll lose your money.

I did my homework. 32 pounds isnt THAT much, but the shipping will cost around 30-40 as well using well reputable courier such as DHL, they will do all the papers for you and all the custom ordeal. That said, it might have custom fee as well.

so no I'm not gonna shell out that much, if I do have that kind of budget I'd buy new devices instead like RK2020 or RG350

You can limit the power consumption with changing the Max CPU from 100% to 99%. This also helps to keep the GPD Win cooler but off course this also limits the CPU power a lot.

If you do need a new battery don't buy the cheap compatible batteries from Aliexpress. They are worhtless and just a waste of money.

Thanks. Is there anyway downclocking the CPU through bios though?

I'm fine experimenting with batteries. I got one I bought around 5 bucks locally. If I manage to get this working, I'm cool with it.

Thank you for your responses guys! Really appreciate it.

Alien Grey

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 02:24:08 pm »
I don't think it's possible to downclock the CPu from the BIOS. At least I didn't find a way to do it.

I think that the only way to lower the power consumption is with changing the maximum processor state to 99% in Windows 10 Power Options. It's also possible to extend the battery life in the Intel Graphics driver options.

Works fine if you only use it for retro gaming.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

exorio (OP)

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 07:31:39 am »
I don't think it's possible to downclock the CPu from the BIOS. At least I didn't find a way to do it.

I think that the only way to lower the power consumption is with changing the maximum processor state to 99% in Windows 10 Power Options. It's also possible to extend the battery life in the Intel Graphics driver options.

Works fine if you only use it for retro gaming.

yeah thanks

I figure I might test linux on it as well, and through bios it should be permanent accross all platforms

I do use it to play GOG and emulator (up to PSP). I'm good with Tekken 6 running well on this.

Alien Grey

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 10:47:31 am »
I also need a new battery for my GPD Win. Looks like Dragonbox no longer have them available so once more I'm going to give it a try with a compatible one from Aliexpress.

Link: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32274440377.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3ee74c4dBvq3VJ

It looks promising because of the positive review from someone that actually tested this battery with his GPD Win.

lemmywinks

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 02:00:28 pm »
[I did my homework. 32 pounds isnt THAT much, but the shipping will cost around 30-40 as well using well reputable courier such as DHL, they will do all the papers for you and all the custom ordeal. That said, it might have custom fee as well.

so no I'm not gonna shell out that much, if I do have that kind of budget I'd buy new devices instead like RK2020 or RG350

Ah right, that kinda kills it. I got lucky as someone in the UK bought a small inventory of them and I grabbed one at the right time. I would add that I own a Playgo (RG350/GCW Zero equivalent) and if I had the choice between an Ingenic based handheld or and new battery for my Win I would pick the Win every time, it's a much better handheld.

I also need a new battery for my GPD Win. Looks like Dragonbox no longer have them available so once more I'm going to give it a try with a compatible one from Aliexpress.

Link: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32274440377.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3ee74c4dBvq3VJ

It looks promising because of the positive review from someone that actually tested this battery with his GPD Win.

They don't ship to the UK unfortunately, will keep looking as I want a spare to keep the Win going for years. Would be great if there were working cheap batteries for it in the near future.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:

exorio (OP)

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 04:25:25 pm »
Ah right, that kinda kills it. I got lucky as someone in the UK bought a small inventory of them and I grabbed one at the right time. I would add that I own a Playgo (RG350/GCW Zero equivalent) and if I had the choice between an Ingenic based handheld or and new battery for my Win I would pick the Win every time, it's a much better handheld.

As a dedicated gaming handheld device? It's bad. It's relatively heavy for a pocketable device. And because it's windows, there're some works to do and it's not really optimized for touch interface. The mouse switch? It's not quite good aswell.

As a backup PC when you're too lazy to bring your 16" laptop (for presentations, office works and such)? Fucking yes. And while you're carrying it you can always play games on it. With this kind of mindset, this device is undefeatable.

Oh BTW one more question, 3 cables, red, white and black, which one is positive and which one is negative, which one is ground? Will it be safe if I use 2 cables only?

lemmywinks

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 11:31:40 pm »
As a dedicated gaming handheld device? It's bad. It's relatively heavy for a pocketable device. And because it's windows, there're some works to do and it's not really optimized for touch interface. The mouse switch? It's not quite good aswell.

As a backup PC when you're too lazy to bring your 16" laptop (for presentations, office works and such)? Fucking yes. And while you're carrying it you can always play games on it. With this kind of mindset, this device is undefeatable.

Oh BTW one more question, 3 cables, red, white and black, which one is positive and which one is negative, which one is ground? Will it be safe if I use 2 cables only?

I've found it the opposite really - a pain to try and use as an actual PC but it's an immense gaming handheld which is pretty much made for playing indies and older PC titles. Completed Wonderboy 3 remake, Resi4, Ori and the Blind Forest, Dust an Elysian Tail, Fallout 3, AER, Tanglewood, Guacamelee, Dariusburst CS and tons of games I otherwise wouldn't be playing on handhelds. Also been replaying Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

You'll need all 3 cables, the 3rd is for temp isn't it? Dunno what the colours are, I would assume black would be -V, red +V and white data but obviously check before hooking it up!
Handhelds:
PC:

exorio (OP)

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 09:17:48 am »

I've found it the opposite really - a pain to try and use as an actual PC but it's an immense gaming handheld which is pretty much made for playing indies and older PC titles. Completed Wonderboy 3 remake, Resi4, Ori and the Blind Forest, Dust an Elysian Tail, Fallout 3, AER, Tanglewood, Guacamelee, Dariusburst CS and tons of games I otherwise wouldn't be playing on handhelds. Also been replaying Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

get a foldable bluetooth keyboard and a mouse. also a minihdmi cable.

that even still less footprint/space required than a conventional laptop.

work while you're traveling. or even play lower spec pc games.

hopefully GPD will be back with this kind of formfactor but with all the issues around Win 1 and 2 ironed out.

You'll need all 3 cables, the 3rd is for temp isn't it? Dunno what the colours are, I would assume black would be -V, red +V and white data but obviously check before hooking it up!

em why would a battery need data? I bought one battery that have red, black and yellow for a test. the color code isn't standard so it seems. But I suppose the yellow one goes to the white one on Win?

Alien Grey

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 09:30:31 am »
I agree with lemmywinks.

The only thing better is a GPD Win 2 and if you can get one second hand for a good price ask them if it's one that still has the rumble feature. People did complaint about this that it stops working after some time but that has nothing to do with the hardware. It looks more like a driver or Windows 10 bug as this also happens with other conrollers that have the rumble feature available.

I'm also looking for a good aftermarket replacement battery. The compatible battery that I did buy from Aliexpress wasn't good enough for the GPD Win. Not much to compaint about it because it wasn't listed asa compatible battery for  the GPD Win.

I hope the one I ordered now is much better as this one is listed as a replacement battery for the GPD Win. There's also a more expensive one listed to be compatible with the GPD Win but some reviewers already complaint that it isn't 9200 mAh like they say it should be.

Anyway. Not much can go wrong with connecting the battery. I also had to switch the cables in the connector to get the GPD Win to power up and run.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 09:33:22 am by Alien Grey »

lemmywinks

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 07:17:38 pm »
get a foldable bluetooth keyboard and a mouse. also a minihdmi cable.

that even still less footprint/space required than a conventional laptop.

work while you're traveling. or even play lower spec pc games.

hopefully GPD will be back with this kind of formfactor but with all the issues around Win 1 and 2 ironed out.

Nah if I need to do actual work on the go I just take a 12" ultraportable, small enough for me but not a pain to use. I think the Win Max will be the do everything device as it can function as a big handheld but also a usable laptop as well.

em why would a battery need data? I bought one battery that have red, black and yellow for a test. the color code isn't standard so it seems. But I suppose the yellow one goes to the white one on Win?

I think it's just for thermistor so it transmits temperature data. From looking online it seems to be common for this to be the white wire but I'd check.
Handhelds:
PC:

Alien Grey

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 12:56:23 pm »
The battery arrived today. It took a while but it was to be expected.

I still had an other Liter Energy battery that i wanted to give a try but just like the first one it isn't good enough.

Replaced it with the new arrived Hexunbaba battery. No need to swap cables in the connector. That's already a good thing. It's currently charging. The battery specs checked with BatteryCare show that it's supposed to be a 6700 mAh battery. This battery is a bit longer compared with the Liter energy battery. It's probably as long as the original one that came with my GPD but I'm not really sure because I can't compare it any more. It fits between the two lines inside the case so that's a good thing.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 01:03:24 pm by Alien Grey »

Alien Grey

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 10:17:19 am »
For everyone who is looking for a new replacement battery for his GPD Win. The one from Hexunbaba is good. It's a 6700 mAh battery and that's what you get. Works well with the GPD Win and it might be a good affordable repacement battery. Time will tell.  :)

exorio (OP)

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2020, 08:01:39 am »
For everyone who is looking for a new replacement battery for his GPD Win. The one from Hexunbaba is good. It's a 6700 mAh battery and that's what you get. Works well with the GPD Win and it might be a good affordable repacement battery. Time will tell.  :)

didn't see your reply at first

I did found the store, but cannot find the battery

all their battery listing came back with "Sorry, no matches were found for your refined search."

And the smallest one on the list was 9000 mah

so please post a direct link to the battery?

thanks

Post a new topic