• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Replacing the bottom shell with copper to keep the battery (and hands) cool  (Read 8463 times)

MJPIA (OP)

Having spent a not insignificant amount of money on a new battery I had no interest in having the new one fail as well so I decided to do something to mitigate heat and create a air gap.

Anyone who has taken their Win apart will notice something.

Those screws dig into the battery and there is pretty much no gap between the motherboard and the battery leaving it pressed up against it with no room for normal thermal expansion and also that means the battery will just soak up heat and heat is the enemy of all electronics and for batteries even moreso.
Pet theory is being saturated in heat and being squeezed will make even batteries designed for high heat conditions complain and puff up causing most the failures we've seen so far.
So I did a thing.

Here you can see how it looks like the plastic under the battery was machined down for slightly more space from the factory.
I cut that out with a lot of drill holes and then cutters to trim to the size I wanted so the battery would fit through the rectangle.

Before I had made a template of the bottom and I used that to make a basic bottom that I later filed and ground down to size until I got it where I wanted it.

Once I had the bottom where I wanted it I cemented the two together and clamped everything to make sure it didn't peel apart any while curing.

Then while that was curing I cut a strip of teflon film and used motherboard screws to secure it in place where the battery sits to act as a insulator.

Then obviously mount the battery on the copper bottom.

Annnnd its done.

Not the most professional looking but acceptable for something I slapped together with what I had on hand.
And it works too.
Even after a couple hours of running benchmarks and charging it the top of case where GPD's logo is hovering around 120F while the bottom of the shell (and by extension the battery) was at most 100F and much cooler than it used to be.
The teflon isolates the battery from direct system heat and the lowered copper bottom spaces the battery away from the motherboard creating a tiny air gap that prevents direct transfer of heat as well as helps passively cooling the battery.
Hardest part was trimming the front edge of the shell so the battery will sit flat on the copper without trimming off so much that I'd be unable to cement the copper plate to the front edge of the plastic.
I didn't really care about the old battery but if you want to reuse it its stuck on tight and prying it off without tweaking the battery will be difficult.
Its possible to get ultra thin teflon sheet and one might be able to just remove the two screws under the battery so they don't dig in anymore and install it with the edge screws and get much of the same temp reduction benefits I got, dunno on that part.
Anyways figured some people here might be interested in this.

exorio

Damn you're a real tinkerer, I wouldn't done anything this far to my gadgets, like, ever. Also asthetic is pretty important to me.

I'm just thinking that would be awesome as post-apocalypse themed movie props like Mad Max, or add some small pipes there and you get steampunk themed prop. No, I'm not being sarcastic. Get the aluminum screen housing and sand the paint off to get brushed look. You might as well go with a theme here.

Also, I don't understand, wouldn't that burn your hand while your holding it, since the heat would be spreaded all over the copper bottom?

But this could be a good input for GPD team, hopefully win 2 will get the heat problems ironed out.

How long do your battery got bloated or when did you received your unit?

Maniac

Nice. Are the silver spots on the copper solder? I think I would paint over those if I were you, some solder contains lead.

MJPIA (OP)

Damn you're a real tinkerer, I wouldn't done anything this far to my gadgets, like, ever. Also asthetic is pretty important to me.

I'm just thinking that would be awesome as post-apocalypse themed movie props like Mad Max, or add some small pipes there and you get steampunk themed prop. No, I'm not being sarcastic. Get the aluminum screen housing and sand the paint off to get brushed look. You might as well go with a theme here.

Also, I don't understand, wouldn't that burn your hand while your holding it, since the heat would be spreaded all over the copper bottom?

But this could be a good input for GPD team, hopefully win 2 will get the heat problems ironed out.

There is no issue with burning hands since I've isolated the battery.
I spent a hour watching videos tonight with it plugged in.
The keyboard was toasty.
The bottom was stone cold.
I was a early IGG backer and my Win was always on so it probably had some 800-1000 hours running constantly from just being on all the time.
One way or another I highly doubt @wade is gonna do a copper bottom because of cost but a gap between the battery and motherboard should be enough to prevent direct heat transfer and there's no way they are gonna use teflon because of cost.

Nice. Are the silver spots on the copper solder? I think I would paint over those if I were you, some solder contains lead.
I'm fairly certain I used lead free solder.

exorio

There is no issue with burning hands since I've isolated the battery.
I spent a hour watching videos tonight with it plugged in.
The keyboard was toasty.
The bottom was stone cold.
I was a early IGG backer and my Win was always on so it probably had some 800-1000 hours running constantly from just being on all the time.
One way or another I highly doubt @wade is gonna do a copper bottom because of cost but a gap between the battery and motherboard should be enough to prevent direct heat transfer and there's no way they are gonna use teflon because of cost.

Ah so yeah at least a year with extreme abuse until the battery got borked. I don't use it much just occasionally, like quick, short burst of gaming sessions with fighting games.

Anyway the earlier prototypes are using aluminum base, wonder why they switched to plastic instead? I figure the cost wouldn't be THAT different, since they decided to go with that the first time (for passive heat control?)

That would be awesome since the display case is using aluminum too.

wade

win1的电池位置存在设计缺陷(电池和主板是叠层放置的,会导致电池过热)

这个问题会在win2的设计中进行规避,win2的主板和电池是错位布局的,为了能做到这点,我们在win2的设计中  主板是由3块pcba组成的,一块主pcba   一块附pcba   一块 ssd小板

vcoleiro1

这个问题会在win2的设计中进行规避,win2的主板和电池是错位布局的,为了能做到这点,我们在win2的设计中  主板是由3块pcba组成的,一块主pcba   一块附pcba   一块 ssd小板

That sounds good

frikisama

That sounds good

Indeed. Just could not get what the second PCB contains even with some extra google translate work, I only got "main PCB" and "SSD board" (the m2 one, as far as I can see)

Maniac

I'm fairly certain I used lead free solder.

Probably still best to paint over it based on comments here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Lead-free-solder-ring/

Maniac

That sounds good

Indeed. Just could not get what the second PCB contains even with some extra google translate work, I only got "main PCB" and "SSD board" (the m2 one, as far as I can see)

It sounds like the ONLY SSD will be in the m.2 slot... that's interesting. That'll make swapping out the m.2 SSD a bit of a pain, I'm not sure how many of us have the ability to clone m.2 drives....

darthskids

Re: Replacing the bottom shell with copper to keep the battery (and hands) cool
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 07:07:36 am »
Looks like something that could be 3d printed.  Bottom plate with additional ventilation / room.

AVahne

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 03:45:29 pm »
Could try painting the bottom in black and then hitting it with a matte top coat. Would make it look nicer and tidier.

MJPIA (OP)

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 04:11:22 am »
Turns out I used 60/40 lead solder after all so used some spare epoxy to remove any possibility of the copper peeling away and get rid of any sharp edges.

Need to do quite a bit of filing and cleaning later. 
Its so nice to have the bottom and battery remain cold while the keyboard is toasty.
@wade I'm glad to hear the Win2 will have a much better design for battery heat but I have different question now.
Is there any way to limit the battery charge on the Win to 4.10V or 4.20V through hardware modification or firmware? 
I'd rather have increased battery life over higher capacity charge but I don't know if this is possible to do.

mr.white

Replacing the bottom shell with copper to keep the battery (and hands) cool
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 02:06:15 pm »
Can someone please translate without google what wade exactly said? Thanks.

MartiusR

Sorry for digging old thread, but I need to ask one question regarding one of the "points" of this modifiication - there is mentioned (also on YT video about changing battery) about "teflon film/teflon paper" - could someone please explain exactly what is it and where I can buy it?

I was trying to google it by myself but I'm receiving only results in baking paper, which doesn't seem right (?)

Post a new topic