Having spent a not insignificant amount of money on a new battery I had no interest in having the new one fail as well so I decided to do something to mitigate heat and create a air gap.
Anyone who has taken their Win apart will notice something.
Those screws dig into the battery and there is pretty much no gap between the motherboard and the battery leaving it pressed up against it with no room for normal thermal expansion and also that means the battery will just soak up heat and heat is the enemy of all electronics and for batteries even moreso.
Pet theory is being saturated in heat and being squeezed will make even batteries designed for high heat conditions complain and puff up causing most the failures we've seen so far.
So I did a thing.
Here you can see how it looks like the plastic under the battery was machined down for slightly more space from the factory.
I cut that out with a lot of drill holes and then cutters to trim to the size I wanted so the battery would fit through the rectangle.
Before I had made a template of the bottom and I used that to make a basic bottom that I later filed and ground down to size until I got it where I wanted it.
Once I had the bottom where I wanted it I cemented the two together and clamped everything to make sure it didn't peel apart any while curing.
Then while that was curing I cut a strip of teflon film and used motherboard screws to secure it in place where the battery sits to act as a insulator.
Then obviously mount the battery on the copper bottom.
Annnnd its done.
Not the most professional looking but acceptable for something I slapped together with what I had on hand.
And it works too.
Even after a couple hours of running benchmarks and charging it the top of case where GPD's logo is hovering around 120F while the bottom of the shell (and by extension the battery) was at most 100F and much cooler than it used to be.
The teflon isolates the battery from direct system heat and the lowered copper bottom spaces the battery away from the motherboard creating a tiny air gap that prevents direct transfer of heat as well as helps passively cooling the battery.
Hardest part was trimming the front edge of the shell so the battery will sit flat on the copper without trimming off so much that I'd be unable to cement the copper plate to the front edge of the plastic.
I didn't really care about the old battery but if you want to reuse it its stuck on tight and prying it off without tweaking the battery will be difficult.
Its possible to get ultra thin teflon sheet and one might be able to just remove the two screws under the battery so they don't dig in anymore and install it with the edge screws and get much of the same temp reduction benefits I got, dunno on that part.
Anyways figured some people here might be interested in this.