Author Topic: My GPD WIN flex cable broke  (Read 1011 times)

rojblake (OP)

My GPD WIN flex cable broke
« on: July 31, 2017, 02:18:04 pm »
Today i powered up my gpd win and the screen was black i closed the lid and opened it again it turned on at 45% lid open and when i opened a little more it was black again.
I opened my gpd and disassemble the display the flex cable that connects the the screen to the main board was broken.
Currently i send it for repair at a local service the will try to repair the broken cable but if they don't i need a replacement cable.Can anybody tell me where can i buy replacement flex cable for the gpd win please i will be very grateful.

P.S.
I've send email to kendyzhu777 from gpd team asking about where can i find replacement and if they are willing to sell me one or more (just to have a spare)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:08:43 pm by rojblake »

popolocroix

Re: My GPD WIN flex cable broke
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:02:35 pm »
Bump to this, I need also another flex cable for my other GPD win.

roneyizpie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 08:58:29 pm »
Interestingly, my GPD Win from Jan. 10 has a different ribbon cable, but my GPD XD has a black ribbon cable like your Win does and that broke on me in a similar way. I wonder if the black ribbon cable is not as sturdy?

rojblake (OP)

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 06:15:13 am »
After contacting gpd they have send me replacement cable i will update you when it arrives.

LateArrival

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 06:40:05 am »
I think that I have the same issue.

I powered up my win only to see and dark backlight then a lighter one. The fan was going so i decided to use the mini HDMI and had output, even the touch screen worked an an input on my TV but I still had no output on the gpd win screen. I tried to track down if it was a driver problem but saw no issues there.

I just disassembled my win and saw that the ribbon cable was crimped and bent in weird ways inside with a few nicks in the cable itself.

I'm also trying to contact kendyzhu777 about a replacement part.

rojblake (OP)

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 04:33:03 pm »
When you send emails to kendy send them  at 07-08 am Chinese time you have a better chance to get response but trust me they don't really care.Many 2016 z8700 units have a broken flex cable problem gpd should start selling the proper spare parts (battery,flex cable,keyboard,analog sticks) instead of screen protectors charging cables and plastic buttons.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:49:49 pm by rojblake »

rojblake (OP)

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 08:02:57 pm »
My replacement cable has arrived :) my gpd win is working again yay!

roneyizpie

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 03:02:56 pm »
Is Kendy still the guy? Or is there someone else I can message? I read somewhere Kendy was out of the company and is being replaced by someone else

rojblake (OP)

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 07:39:25 am »
That is unfortunate i guess you need to find the right contact try facebook twitter

LateArrival

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 09:54:04 pm »
Test Post

LateArrival

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 10:06:09 pm »
Test Post: Something happened to my account here and I couldn't post, send messages, etc. for weeks but somehow today I got through so...great I guess.

Hey so I got my cable too and it solved the problem so if anyone has similar symptoms open up your device and see if your cable is damaged in anyway, it took about 10 days from shipping to arrive after finally getting in contact with someone at gpd.

Try contacting [email protected] , it seems that kendyzhu777 is no longer with the company or something. It took several days for kendy to get back to me but they did eventually message me again.

Alternatively you can try contacting them on their AliExpress page directly (https://gpdshop.aliexpress.com/store/1281164) and ask them for the part there. They have a method of getting you what you need through there though I'm not sure if they want you to contact their support people first.

My main concern now is I see it failing in the exact same way in the future and I'm not sure how to solve that problem. That and getting the actually cable through the hinge and to wrap around itself the way its designed was pretty harrowing in fear of breaking this cable as well. Be careful.

EvilDragon

• DragonBox Shop
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 11:26:04 am »
Yes, Kendy left the company end of August.

I've still got spare parts for GPD Devices, just didn't have time to put them up at the shop yet, but I'm still planning to do that :)
I'm evil.

Post a new topic