Author Topic: Make the card reader great again  (Read 17139 times)

sakya

• Sakya's Homepage
Re: Make the card reader great again
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2016, 09:41:10 pm »
what can i do now, my gpd didnt boot anymore plz help!
Maybe you can try to boot Windows in safe mode and revert your changes (if possible) else I think you'll need to reinstall Windows.
I never used safe mode on Windows 10 but searching the web it seems that on modern machines with UEFI bios F8 or SHIFT-F8 doesn't work.

zdanee

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2016, 11:15:19 pm »
Anybody want to try this fix for another Chinese laptop on their Win? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=66881342&postcount=3064

We shouldn't really have to run a batch script every 10 seconds to keep our SD card reader alive but it might work as a temporary fix?

I would try, but my GPD Win is currently on the way back to China to be fixed.

Ha-ha, that's my post from ages ago! The internet is a small place! You have a Cube i7 too? :)
Cube i7 Stylus + GPD Win

Maniac

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2016, 01:05:39 am »
OOOH this might be even better! It appears that it makes the actual SD card be seen as an HDD:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-windows-8-pro/224762-guide-mount-sd-card-harddisk.html
https://mariofraiss.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/attach-a-micro-sd-card-as-physical-hard-drive-in-windows-8/

So has anyone tried this?
DO NOT TRY! I followed the first link, after done all the step, restart window and stuck in GPD logo!

So the second link was way more simple and doesn't require test signing... that's the one you should have done.

Did you make changes in the bios? Try going into the bios and undoing the changes you did (hit DEL at the GPD logo when booting).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:08:47 am by Maniac »

dzung

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2016, 02:33:29 am »
OOOH this might be even better! It appears that it makes the actual SD card be seen as an HDD:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-windows-8-pro/224762-guide-mount-sd-card-harddisk.html
https://mariofraiss.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/attach-a-micro-sd-card-as-physical-hard-drive-in-windows-8/

So has anyone tried this?
DO NOT TRY! I followed the first link, after done all the step, restart window and stuck in GPD logo!

So the second link was way more simple and doesn't require test signing... that's the one you should have done.

Did you make changes in the bios? Try going into the bios and undoing the changes you did (hit DEL at the GPD logo when booting).

I did nothing with bios, only restart normally, then the thing happen, try to search google for solution but no help. Now i need my original driver back, do you have this driver? Because now my win cant boot up. I dont want to clean install because i will lost all my data
free image hosting

Pintek

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2016, 03:05:19 am »
You are out of luck on recovering from that if you didn't make a recovery usb for your computer cause i'm pretty sure once you can't boot into windows its time to nuke the drive an fresh install

nex86 (OP)

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2016, 03:12:27 am »
Don't experiment with stuff like that. Thats one of the reasons I didn't do it.

Try this instead: http://www.sakya.it/wordpress/?p=665

Maniac

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2016, 12:19:22 pm »
I did nothing with bios, only restart normally, then the thing happen, try to search google for solution but no help. Now i need my original driver back, do you have this driver? Because now my win cant boot up. I dont want to clean install because i will lost all my data
free image hosting

A step was definitely missed somewhere. You need to disable Driver Signature Enforcement:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/error-installing-windows-10/2835a357-f376-4b90-9e30-0262a59645a4

You'll probably have to slam the F8 key while booting (can you simply press it while on that screen?).

If the error keeps coming up after Disabling Driver Signature Enforcement, you'll need to uninstall the driver. Windows will automatically install the correct one after you do that.

nex86 (OP)

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2016, 03:22:36 pm »
that seems to be it.
Windows needs a driver to boot that has no signature.
disabling Driver Signature Enforcement should fix it.

sakya

• Sakya's Homepage
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2016, 01:06:18 pm »
Updated GPD Win Keepalive to version 1.1.0
Code: [Select]
Changelog
*Minor GUI changes
*Enable/disable clicking on the tray icon
*Added confirm on exit

Download installer here
Donwload source code here
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:12:15 pm by sakya »

Maniac

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2017, 08:05:13 pm »

OK, I got this working. The 2nd link doesn't work and will leave your Win unable to start. Use the first link. A few revisions/tips:

1. In case you mess something up, run this command from an elevated command prompt first:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

This will make it so that there is a pause during bootup, allowing you to hit F8 and get to safe mode or something if you mess something up. When we're all done, simply run
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no

to disable

2. Don't use My_WCP_Watermark_Editor.exe, it doesn't work. Use Universal Watermark Disabler:
http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1794

After all is said and done, you'll have a SD card that functions as a hard drive. I don't know yet if this fixes the performance issues, but it does enable a lot of other features.

Alien Grey

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 06:59:26 am »

OK, I got this working. The 2nd link doesn't work and will leave your Win unable to start. Use the first link. A few revisions/tips:

1. In case you mess something up, run this command from an elevated command prompt first:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

This will make it so that there is a pause during bootup, allowing you to hit F8 and get to safe mode or something if you mess something up. When we're all done, simply run
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no

to disable

2. Don't use My_WCP_Watermark_Editor.exe, it doesn't work. Use Universal Watermark Disabler:
http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1794

After all is said and done, you'll have a SD card that functions as a hard drive. I don't know yet if this fixes the performance issues, but it does enable a lot of other features.

Did this fix the slow response time when the MicroSD card has been idle for some time?

My old Dingoo A-380 runs ScummVM games better from a memory card. This makes me believe that it isn't a hardware problem.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

Maniac

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 10:44:22 am »

Did this fix the slow response time when the MicroSD card has been idle for some time?

My old Dingoo A-380 runs ScummVM games better from a memory card. This makes me believe that it isn't a hardware problem.

I don't know, I'm not sure I ever experienced the issue in the first place. I did play Final Fantasy IX PC and did not notice any load improvements when using GPD Win KeepAlive.

Is there a reliable way to reproduce this issue? I'll try it if you know of one.

Alien Grey

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2017, 11:07:48 am »

I don't know, I'm not sure I ever experienced the issue in the first place. I did play Final Fantasy IX PC and did not notice any load improvements when using GPD Win KeepAlive.

Is there a reliable way to reproduce this issue? I'll try it if you know of one.

There is. Just try playing a ScummVM game. You will notice a big difference if you put the game on the internal drive or the MicroSD card. I takes a long time for the MicroSD card to respond when ScummVM needs access to it.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

Maniac

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2017, 01:06:58 pm »
I tried Beneath a Steel Sky CD on ScummVM. I'm not really sure if it fixes it or not. I experienced a pause once, but not another time (left the screen still for a few minutes, then went through the door where I had the pause before). If there's a consistent way to reproduce the issue, I can test it for you. If not, I would recommend trying it yourself.

Alien Grey

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2017, 06:43:23 pm »
I tried Beneath a Steel Sky CD on ScummVM. I'm not really sure if it fixes it or not. I experienced a pause once, but not another time (left the screen still for a few minutes, then went through the door where I had the pause before). If there's a consistent way to reproduce the issue, I can test it for you. If not, I would recommend trying it yourself.

I didn't try Beneath a Steel Sky yet but I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. I'm currently playing Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis. Wit both text and speech enabled. The delays are noticeable when there's lots of speech that needs to be loaded.

Alien Grey

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2017, 09:25:02 pm »
I just tried Beneath a Steel Sky with ScummVM and I also notice the delays when running the game from the MicroSD card.  ???

Alien Grey

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2017, 10:05:54 pm »
@sakya thanks for the tool. It does fix the delays when running ScummVM games from the MicroSD card. Would it be possible to make the change to the tool to only write the first time and than make it read every X seconds?

It probably doesn't make any difference if you make it write or read every X seconds to keep it alive.

Maniac

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 02:28:15 pm »
I just tried Beneath a Steel Sky with ScummVM and I also notice the delays when running the game from the MicroSD card.  ???

When exactly are you getting these delays? Between every screen? Only certain screens? Is it consistent, does it depend on how long you've been in the room? Or is it random? How long did you have to play?

Alien Grey

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2017, 07:15:57 pm »

When exactly are you getting these delays? Between every screen? Only certain screens? Is it consistent, does it depend on how long you've been in the room? Or is it random? How long did you have to play?

I played it for a few minutes. I'm getting these delays when there's speech that needs to be played. It sometimes takes too long before you hear the speech and that's because of the delay to read from the MicroSD card. I think that a Windows powersaving feature is causing this problem.

sakya

• Sakya's Homepage
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2017, 07:27:19 pm »
@sakya thanks for the tool.
You're welcome. ;)

Would it be possible to make the change to the tool to only write the first time and than make it read every X seconds?
It probably doesn't make any difference if you make it write or read every X seconds to keep it alive.
It does a huge difference: reads would be cached by the OS and the SD card hardware wouldn't wake up.

Post a new topic