• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Make the card reader great again  (Read 19675 times)

Faust

Re: Make the card reader great again
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 06:05:06 pm »
I had the same issue with the SD card freezing too often in games, so I've made a small program that write a small file on the SD card, and this completely fixed the issue!

I used the sources of an old program of mine, so the code is not pretty, but it does work fine:
http://neko.works/u/hddping.zip

Note that this will write a file named "ping" on the E drive. If your SD card isn't on E, just use an hex editor on the .EXE and search for "e:\\ping", replace "e" by your SD card letter (or set your SD card drive as E).

Enjoy :)
Good job Pal, thanks

baka-neko

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 09:40:45 pm »
No problem ;)

I've edited my post and updated the .ZIP file with 3 alternatives for drive D, E and F. Should be easy enough for most users now 8)

chaleman

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 12:06:22 am »
thanks!!  one question... does this also apply for a USB thumb drive like the Samsung Fit or only the card in the microsd slot?  If it applies to both, how can we make it so that it writes both to the D and E drive to keep both alive?

Thanks again!!!

Carlos

Netjam

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 12:26:50 am »
thanks!!  one question... does this also apply for a USB thumb drive like the Samsung Fit or only the card in the microsd slot?  If it applies to both, how can we make it so that it writes both to the D and E drive to keep both alive?

Thanks again!!!

Carlos

I'm guessing you run two of the executable files at once.

@kamui_kun Thanks for the tool, so does this occasionally write a file to the specified drive or does it read a file occasionally? What's the frequency of it?

baka-neko

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 12:37:17 am »

It only rely on the drive letters, so it will work on any type of storage: SD cards, USB etc.

Currently only one instance can be run at once, so just use the variation you need (D or E) depending on your current usage. You can close the app using the icon on the notification area and run the other variation if your need change.

This is just a proof of concept I've made using some old sources of mine, very quickly. I might write something more professional if I find the time, then again, this is really simple to implement, so anyone can make something similar in any language.

Thanks for the tool, so does this occasionally write a file to the specified drive or does it read a file occasionally? What's the frequency of it?

It writes a small file "ping" on the root folder every 5 seconds. This is the best timing I've found (10 seconds is not enough).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:40:06 am by kamui_kun »

Jellyfish

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 03:16:42 am »
Trying to run HDDPing on my unit (after first getting the two DLLs it demanded) gives a 0xc000007b error. I have a clean install of Win10 and the redistributables for Visual Basic 2010 & 2015 already on board. Hopefully whatever I messed up is easy to track down.

okyoureabeast

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 11:53:29 am »
Interesting solutions here. I'll continue doing more readings.

Is it possible to re-install windows 10 using a RAID configuration? If Windows was installed onto both it might prevent the card reader from going to sleep.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:55:24 am by okyoureabeast »

Maniac

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 01:24:52 pm »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:30:37 pm by Maniac »

mr.white

Make the card reader great again
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 12:14:04 am »
GPD should publish a hotfix for that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:16:09 am by mr.white »

chaleman

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 03:19:35 am »
Trying to run HDDPing on my unit (after first getting the two DLLs it demanded) gives a 0xc000007b error. I have a clean install of Win10 and the redistributables for Visual Basic 2010 & 2015 already on board. Hopefully whatever I messed up is easy to track down.

Same here...  :'(

mikegpd

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 02:25:41 am »
This is awesome. Haven't had a single hiccup, and a lot of games got a little bump in FPS. Huzzah!

For anyone still having problems with installing it: make sure you install the x86 VC redistributable package in addition to the x64 version. Link is here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

nex86 (OP)

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 02:12:41 pm »
Not yet. seems very tricky.

Maniac

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 03:48:29 pm »
Not yet. seems very tricky.
It's a lot easier than it sounds. Should take about 5 minutes.

sakya

• Sakya's Homepage
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 06:04:25 pm »
I made a small utility to keep alive the sd card (the same "old" method...write to the sd card every X seconds).

You can download the installer from here:
http://www.sakya.it/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=8

Source code can be downloaded here:
http://www.sakya.it/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=9
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:30:13 pm by sakya »

shinkamui

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 07:02:47 pm »
Please publish the source, at least in this thread.  While i appreciate your efforts, a fresh face with a closed source software contribution is not the smartest thing to run on the windows platform.  Not personal, its just i think anyone security conscious in here would feel a bit better about a source review, compilation and sha1 verification against your binaries...

For the record, that is also why im not messing with HDDPing posted earlier either.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:07:26 pm by shinkamui »

sakya

• Sakya's Homepage
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 07:28:26 pm »
Please publish the source, at least in this thread.  While i appreciate your efforts, a fresh face with a closed source software contribution is not the smartest thing to run on the windows platform.  Not personal, its just i think anyone security conscious in here would feel a bit better about a source review, compilation and sha1 verification against your binaries...
Here you go. ;)

http://www.sakya.it/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=9

I also edited the previous post with the download link.
I didn't publish the source code just because I'm lazy (and the source code is not interesting since it's really a simple utility, but I understand your point). :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:47:27 pm by sakya »

shinkamui

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 08:06:32 pm »
Here you go. ;)

I also edited the previous post with the download link.
I didn't publish the source code just because I'm lazy (and the source code is not interesting since it's really a simple utility, but I understand your point). :D

Much obliged.  Your utility looks very handy, so after validation Ill be happy to endorse it. :)

*edit*

Code is clean in both senses of the term. :)  Very simple, thanks for providing the source.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:54:40 pm by shinkamui »

dzung

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2016, 08:56:55 pm »
OOOH this might be even better! It appears that it makes the actual SD card be seen as an HDD:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-windows-8-pro/224762-guide-mount-sd-card-harddisk.html
https://mariofraiss.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/attach-a-micro-sd-card-as-physical-hard-drive-in-windows-8/

So has anyone tried this?
DO NOT TRY! I followed the first link, after done all the step, restart window and stuck in GPD logo!

dzung

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2016, 09:14:13 pm »
what can i do now, my gpd didnt boot anymore plz help!

Post a new topic
Post a new topic