Author Topic: Make the card reader great again  (Read 17065 times)

nex86 (OP)

Make the card reader great again
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:45:23 pm »
What I noticed about the card reader, it tends to put itself in some kind of sleep mode after a while and when a process access the sd card again there is a huge delay which which can make the process freeze for around 2 seconds, especially games.

Anyone has an idea how to disable this feature?

GPD also made it so on their system image that the sd card is seen as a local drive.
I have no idea if this fixes the problem and I have no idea how to change it back into that state.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 09:48:01 pm by nex86 »

okyoureabeast

Re: Make the card reader great again
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 10:17:45 pm »
What I noticed about the card reader, it tends to put itself in some kind of sleep mode after a while and when a process access the sd card again there is a huge delay which which can make the process freeze for around 2 seconds, especially games.

Anyone has an idea how to disable this feature?

GPD also made it so on their system image that the sd card is seen as a local drive.
I have no idea if this fixes the problem and I have no idea how to change it back into that state.

This is controlled by Window's power plan. I'm going to assume that this is controlled by the USB selective suspend setting. I don't have my GPD Win yet, but a PC is a PC so give this a shot.

1. Into the search box type, "Edit Power Plan"
2. Click "Choose Advanced Power Settings"
3. Select the entry for "USB Selective Suspend" and turn it to "disable".
4. Do this for all of your power plans.

Does this help prevent the card from going to sleep?

nex86 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:34:21 pm »
well the thing is the card reader is not connected over USB, its GPIO.

nex86 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 06:22:45 pm »
@okyoureabeast ok I tried that it doesn't help.

okyoureabeast

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 06:39:49 pm »
Interesting, what happens if you go through that panel and turn everything up to "on" or "full performance" ?

nex86 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 07:47:37 pm »
this is exactly what I did.

Smoker1

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 11:10:05 pm »
I tried to do what I saw in a Video in order to access the Full Performance, but that did not work. Required going into the Registry Editor and changing the Power Setting. I did however get to the Windows Based Power Settings and changed a few of them. Especially that part where if you Press the Power Button it will Turn Off the Display instead of Sleep Or Hibernate which will basically make your System Shut Down.

mikegpd

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 11:35:44 pm »
@Smoker1

Did this work? Is the card reader working consistently for you now? The constant hiccups are getting quite annoying.

nex86 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:25:12 am »
For me it didn't.
there might a driver setting in the registry.

I'm currently reverting to the GPD shipping image.

if nothing is gonna fix it I might just end up using an external cardreader or the Samsung Fit over USB 3.0.
Sooner or later there will be 256GB Nano USBs that will be great!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:27:03 am by nex86 »

Smoker1

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 03:03:20 am »
@Smoker1

Did this work? Is the card reader working consistently for you now? The constant hiccups are getting quite annoying.

There appears to be No Setting for the Card Reader. The constant waiting for it is annoying.

nex86 (OP)

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 03:30:32 am »
I agree.
When I play PS2 games PCSX2 completely freezes while it waits for data.. its really annoying.

Smoker1

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 08:49:28 am »
I agree.
When I play PS2 games PCSX2 completely freezes while it waits for data.. its really annoying.

Best bet is Install ISOs, large Roms and Games to the USB. But find a good USB Drive. Do not suggest a HDD since if you shock it, it will damage the Spinning Drive. USB Flash Drive should be OK, SSDs also, but be careful with the SSD you choose. I got a Samsung T1 USB 3.0 500GB SSD and it is giving me Problems. I try Installing Large Games to it, it gets VERY warm and starts Disconnecting on me. I looked at the Reviews and found I am not the only one with that Problem.

seahouse45

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 08:53:09 am »
Anybody want to try this fix for another Chinese laptop on their Win? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=66881342&postcount=3064

We shouldn't really have to run a batch script every 10 seconds to keep our SD card reader alive but it might work as a temporary fix?

I would try, but my GPD Win is currently on the way back to China to be fixed.

Rj00

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 09:57:07 am »
Happens to me too. Highly annoying having to wait 2 seconds middle game.

I thought it was a problem with my 200gb micro ad card.

Perhaps we should change the name of the thread as it sounds like a political joke and not a real issue

Alien Grey

Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

skelton

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 10:23:24 am »
I only use ad for roms and isos and runs.for.me, even with huge isos like ps2. For games i use a lexar usb s45 thumbdrive and works great for games.
Retired

baka-neko

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 04:52:28 pm »
I had the same issue with the SD card freezing too often in games, so I've made a small program that write a small file on the SD card, and this completely fixed the issue!

I used the sources of an old program of mine, so the code is not pretty, but it does work fine:
http://neko.works/u/hddping.zip

You can close the program using the notification icon, the app is named "SyStatus" (which is the name of my old program I've modified).

Note that this will write a file named "ping" on the SD drive. Use the relevant executable depending on its letter: I've prepared 3 alternatives for drive D, E and F.

If your SD card isn't on these letters, just use an hex editor on the .EXE and search for "E:\ping", replace "E" by your SD card letter as shown on the screenshot bellow.

Enjoy :)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:39:00 pm by kamui_kun »

nex86 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 05:49:56 pm »
I can't find such string in there.

baka-neko

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 06:00:43 pm »
[EDIT]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:37:49 pm by kamui_kun »

nex86 (OP)