Author Topic: Major improvements of GPD WIN after January 10 2017  (Read 20399 times)

Renard (OP)

Major improvements of GPD WIN after January 10 2017
« on: December 19, 2016, 09:33:11 am »
Firstly, it improves the silicone pads of cross key and function keys A, B, X, Y.

This time we employ the best molded silicone within the industry, it feels smooth and elastic. This silicone padís mechanical strength, staying power, tension and flexibility are the best in the industry. It is much better than the previous silicone pad, and it is the best rebound feel since XD.

Moreover, the latest silicone pad has its own positioning holes, which makes it easier for the factory to assemble, so the probability of function keys to make mistakes will be decreased sharply.

Secondly, it improves the metal dome of the keyboard, which is the metal shrapnel under the keyboard.

For the previous keyboard, you have little feeling when press it down. When you press it, you donít know the impact of the degree of strength to the input, as the keyboard only gives the feedback to your fingers about a blur message: which means you indeed pressed down this button. If you wish to know whether it is being input, you need to know it by looking at the screen. Also, when pressing the keyboard down by the fingers, the reaction of screen input is quite slow, which results in the impossible to do fast input. This time we have improved the metal dome, which improves the hand feeling dramatically. The reaction signal is clear, and the screenís input responding speed is very fast.

Thirdly, it updates the firmware, which will improve the cross key and functional keysí responding speed of the gamepad.

Previously because of considering the impact given by the shake, the designs of cross key and functional keys were too conservative. As a result of this, when playing fighting games the responding speed was too slow, which were way more slower than the joysticks of WIN. This time the update of firmware has improved the responding speed of cross key and functional keys, with the latest silicone pads, the hand feeling of gamepad has improved a lot with its quality.

Fourthly, under the mouse mod, if you hold the joystick at one direction for a long time, the pointer of the mouse will increase the speed, and the general sensitivity of the mouse has increased dramatically.

Previously under the mouse mode, if you want to accelerate the movement of the pointer, you need to adjust the moving speed of the mouse under setting of the system. But this way has a drawback, the moving speed of the pointer is too fast, so the location is not precise. This time we have a huge improvement, the initial of the pointerís moving speed remains the same, however if you press the joystick for a long time, and pointer will accelerate which decreases the time for moving speed. Whatís more, it has increased the positionís accuracy of the pointer.

CampGareth

Re: Major improvements of GPD WIN after January 10 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:43:14 am »
So, what about those of us who bought our GPD Wins before then? Will the upgraded parts (silicone pads, keyboard) be available for purchase?

eragon2890

• e
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 10:00:25 am »
So, what about those of us who bought our GPD Wins before then? Will the upgraded parts (silicone pads, keyboard) be available for purchase?

Curious about this as well, but since complete button sets for the q9 can be bought for less then 3 dollars on geekbuying, and buttons and membranes for the XD (and the win too I believe) are already sold on GPD's aliexpress page for like 1 dollar, I think you will be able to get them.

Willburn

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 10:25:36 am »
Firstly, it improves the silicone pads of cross key and function keys A, B, X, Y.

Secondly, it improves the metal dome of the keyboard, which is the metal shrapnel under the keyboard.

Thirdly, it updates the firmware, which will improve the cross key and functional keysí responding speed of the gamepad.

Fourthly, under the mouse mod, if you hold the joystick at one direction for a long time, the pointer of the mouse will increase the speed, and the general sensitivity of the mouse has increased dramatically.

Regarding the third improvement: By Firmware, do you mean the BIOS of the device? If yes, would that be the BIOS version which is completely locked down without any of the extra options?

Regarding the fourth improvement: Is that the mouse pointer update which you have posted to this forum recently? Could you please also release an update which rolls the mouse controls back to what they were before? To be honest I very much prefer the previous non-accelerated movement. Thank you.

Sinael

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 11:30:05 am »
It would be great if we'd be able to purchase new pads and keys at AliExpress or the like.

Also I'd very much prefer the old mouse mode, but with ability to remap functions of different keys in that mode.

MJPIA

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 01:32:37 pm »
The keyboard on mine will occasionally completely stop responding other than the 10 keys by themself on the far right side of the keyboard.
Several other people have reported the same issue.
Will this keyboard solve that issue?

Saber

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 02:01:52 pm »

This time we employ the best molded silicone within the industry, it feels smooth and elastic. This silicone padís mechanical strength, staying power, tension and flexibility are the best in the industry. It is much better than the previous silicone pad, and it is the best rebound feel since XD.

Moreover, the latest silicone pad has its own positioning holes, which makes it easier for the factory to assemble, so the probability of function keys to make mistakes will be decreased sharply.

For the previous keyboard, you have little feeling when press it down. When you press it, you donít know the impact of the degree of strength to the input, as the keyboard only gives the feedback to your fingers about a blur message: which means you indeed pressed down this button. If you wish to know whether it is being input, you need to know it by looking at the screen. Also, when pressing the keyboard down by the fingers, the reaction of screen input is quite slow, which results in the impossible to do fast input. This time we have improved the metal dome, which improves the hand feeling dramatically. The reaction signal is clear, and the screenís input responding speed is very fast.

Previously because of considering the impact given by the shake, the designs of cross key and functional keys were too conservative. As a result of this, when playing fighting games the responding speed was too slow, which were way more slower than the joysticks of WIN. This time the update of firmware has improved the responding speed of cross key and functional keys, with the latest silicone pads, the hand feeling of gamepad has improved a lot with its quality.

Previously under the mouse mode, if you want to accelerate the movement of the pointer, you need to adjust the moving speed of the mouse under setting of the system. But this way has a drawback, the moving speed of the pointer is too fast, so the location is not precise. This time we have a huge improvement, the initial of the pointerís moving speed remains the same, however if you press the joystick for a long time, and pointer will accelerate which decreases the time for moving speed. Whatís more, it has increased the positionís accuracy of the pointer.
Will there be some way to differentiate between the old Win and the new improved Win, and is it possible for GPD to offer a good faith silicone replacement for previously loyal purchasers?

I'm all for refinements, especially the updated firmware for all units, but this boastful announcement shouldn't neglect those people who have supported GPD already.

n1ckn4m3

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 02:08:01 pm »
Nevermind the fact that mine is still on a slow boat to China since November 19th thanks to their Portland, OR facility shipping it via anemic carrier pigeon.  Will my repaired device have these improvements?  Or have I now been shipped a broken device, paid out of pocket to ship it back to GPD, then will receive an inferior quality product?  I'm all for them fixing some of the big problems with the device, but they had better make it reasonably possible for everyone to achieve these benefits.

EDIT:  According to Kendy, repair units received by GPD before January 10th 2017 will not be repaired or replaced with the units with the upgraded silicon and keyboards, and that if possible they will "try" to switch to a newer model if it is received after January 10th.  No comment on whether the replacement silicon and keyboard/heatsink/whatever it ends up being will be for sale on AliExpress.

Lesson learned.  Never.  Ever.  EVER. crowdfund portable gaming hardware.  All you do is get repeatedly burned for being an early adopter.  If I ever post on this forum again that I'm backing another piece of portable gaming hardware, someone please drive to my house and punch me in the gut, then just say the words "GPD WIN' back to me.  I should have just waited until January when they fixed the brunt of the problems and bought then.  With the return shipping of the defective device, unless they go up to $400 it still would have been cheaper.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:45:27 am by n1ckn4m3 »

Faust

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 03:02:34 pm »
And don't forget to fix the problem of the left shoulder buttons in mouse mod : the left shoulder buttons don't work when you use the D-pad, it's really annoying and killing the use of the mouse mod.

Envoyť de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

shinkamui

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 07:17:20 pm »
I just want confirmation of these two points first:

1. This new firmware is NOT the same firmware as was already released recently.

2. This new firmware will be available to original backers.

Beyond that, upgrade part kits for at least the membranes seem like a no brainer since GPD has provided them on previous devices.  And hey, if they provided the SMB RESISTOR kits for a diy fix on the gpu, I think it would be ridiculous not to give us the upgraded membranes and dpad/buttons, which is actually more realistically a diy :).

Macatron

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 03:09:02 am »
So will these newer versions be available after January 10th, or are you going to start changing production on January 10th? I haven't ordered one yet, and I don't mind waiting until after the holidays since that's what I was planning to do anyway. :)

I strongly agree that support for the first time buyers should be of utmost importance too because, without them, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. :D

Multiboy2k

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 05:25:07 am »
wow....just wow.

This is why I am so very glad that I literally cancelled my order almost immediately after making it and got a refund. I saw this thread long before it existed. I have been an owner of the GPD XD since it's inception. And, it would crash almost constantly before it eventually died causing me to purchase another one. Quality assurance is EVERYTHING when rolling out devices such as these.  GPD(Kendy), if you see this thread, you need to truly take heed to it. Because, with every complaint, negligence in testing of devices, and overall screwing over people who helped you to get on your feet, you lose great amounts of credibility.  And, you lose business.  People grow not to trust you or your brand.  And, you cant get mad at the customer.  QA is YOUR responsibility, paying for a working product that functions as advertised is the customer's responsibility.  The solution is simple. TEST YOUR PRODUCTS prior to shipping please.  If you know that the product is less than perfect, then dont send it to your customers unless they are paying a reduced price for the item.  Your customer's should not have to "solder" stuff after paying full price for it. And, continuous overheating with crashing on intensive games after 2mins of play is not a 'feature'.   

Thank You for your understanding.
Alright, Alright, Alright!

AVahne

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 05:51:48 am »
Wow. Just wow. So I'll likely won't be getting my Win from DinoDirect until January anyway (September order) and by the time I get mine, GPD will be rolling out improved versions?
Ahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahqahhahahahaahahahahha

mr.white

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 08:20:29 am »
"....and it is the best rebound feel since XD. ", well the XD was much worse as rhe GPD Win ...IMHO

Renard (OP)

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 08:48:40 am »

If you have a strong manual dexterity, we will provide an accessory pack for you to purchase at Aliexpress later.

Post a new topic