• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Poll: GPD WIN Stability  (Read 8686 times)

Kaiden2 (OP)

Poll: GPD WIN Stability
« on: November 05, 2016, 08:32:03 pm »
Good day to everyone.
Considering there are many reports of GPD Win instability in 3D games (i. e. driver crashes and poweroffs), I think we need some kind of statistics to understand the scope of the problem, so I've created this poll. And people who are still considering whether they should buy GPD Win or not would get better understanding of their chances to get working unit. So please answer the poll in this topic.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 08:40:16 pm by Kaiden2 »

Phawx

Re: Poll: GPD WIN Stability
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 10:09:38 pm »
I've had two 8700s.

The first one had display driver crashing, but since tweaking my system, it's been find.

The second one never powered on. 

Just posting because I have two examples.

SONY

• !
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 10:43:16 pm »
Wow, more unstable than not, it seems.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

eragon2890

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 10:47:42 pm »
Hm, while it seems they made one bad batch, these poll results looked very skewed. I mean retrovortex, phawx, willburn, lord davon, that one guy who just posted, link and zelda and more ahve all got units which were stable out of the box or made (Almost) stable.

Adn there is a ton of those on youtube too.

I don't know what the % is, but it's definitely not 85%

jdk514

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 01:09:29 am »
I don't know. I'm aware that at least phawx was using the 8750 system. My 8700 keeps crashing even after installing the windows anniversary edition and updating the drivers. Even if it is only 1/3 of the people having issues, that is way too high of a failure rate. This is especially concerning since this is just trying to get the device working out of the box, no knowing what might happen a couple months from know after these machines have been running a while.

eragon2890

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 01:15:28 am »
I don't know. I'm aware that at least phawx was using the 8750 system. My 8700 keeps crashing even after installing the windows anniversary edition and updating the drivers. Even if it is only 1/3 of the people having issues, that is way too high of a failure rate. This is especially concerning since this is just trying to get the device working out of the box, no knowing what might happen a couple months from know after these machines have been running a while.

Yes but it appears to be mostly one batch.

Also the experience with the XD was that it either failed. Or worked and did not fail soon. Very little in between XD

jdk514

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 01:39:29 am »

Yes but it appears to be mostly one batch.

Also the experience with the XD was that it either failed. Or worked and did not fail soon. Very little in between XD

I hope so, I'm currently trying to figure out the best method to order a replacement. Not sure what email is the best for reaching GPD.

SONY

• !
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 03:12:28 am »
Note to everyone: Never buy GPD products on launch (window / period).
Edited: GPD
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:44:17 am by SONY »
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

indask8

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 09:31:27 am »
I got a Z8700 yesterday, so far every  3D games crashes (or more precisely the picture stops updating then it depends on the game, some can recover some can't), only tweak I've done is setting memory timing to fast and disabling memory scrambler, also the intel HD drivers are the latest from intel themselves.

No blue screen.
No self power off.

Only crashes in 3D games, 2d games are fine windows as well except one driver crash when I summoned cortana but it seem to be gone.

EDIT: Yandere Simulator in windowed mode hasn't crashed yet for some reason, problem with full screen?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:33:53 am by indask8 »

eragon2890

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 09:36:20 am »
I got a Z8700 yesterday, so far every  3D games crashes (or more precisely the picture stops updating then it depends on the game, some can recover some can't), only tweak I've done is setting memory timing to fast and disabling memory scrambler, also the intel HD drivers are the latest from intel themselves.

No blue screen.
No self power off.

Only crashes in 3D games, 2d games are fine windows as well except one driver crash when I summoned cortana but it seem to be gone.

EDIT: Yandere Simulator in windowed mode hasn't crashed yet for some reason, problem with full screen?

Try borderless fullscreen gamng then maybe it wortks for you as cheap easy workaround .

Otherwise clean reinstall + drivers...

eragon2890

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 10:52:20 am »
Note to everyone: Never buy GPD products on launch (window / period).
Edited: GPD

I wouldn't  (l'histoire se repete, remember this exact same poll last year on this exact same forum with not-powering-on-anymore or otherwise broken first batch XD's? LOL) but it was cheaper. If I am lucky mine works perfectly and I can't wait to do stuff like this on it, I AM LITERALLY crying from joy and stunnedness  seeing these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP8i4inT_Ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHGIHYidr_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oezRn4q6oM0

Otherwise if mine doesn't work I will just ask for a replacement untill I get a working one. But I WILL stop at NOTHING to have one like in those videos! XD (well except buying another one offcourse, I paid 350 euros for it so I deserve a working unit on that order XD) I am just hoping mine will be perfectly fine~

MartiusR

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 11:24:19 am »
I haven't tested yet my GPD Win on too many games (it came to me about day ago), but so far it's working rather fine. I've played in Sonic Riders (no problem), Freedom Planet (working great) and Sonic Heroes (in the last one I had really weird issue. Screen was showed not "horizontally", but "vertically", cutted off and only on a part of the screen. I've descripted it in more detailed way in separate thread.

And no issues with freezing system etc. One note on the side - I'm not sure if I own version Z8750 or  Z8700, I've preorderd it on GeekBuying and I didn't received my console from first batch, but from second (sent in 24th October). Message on GeekBuying website didn't clarify it. I haven't made any update of firmware so far (due to the fact that I didn't have any issues with GPD Win).

eragon2890

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 11:27:17 am »
I haven't tested yet my GPD Win on too many games (it came to me about day ago), but so far it's working rather fine. I've played in Sonic Riders (no problem), Freedom Planet (working great) and Sonic Heroes (in the last one I had really weird issue. Screen was showed not "horizontally", but "vertically", cutted off and only on a part of the screen. I've descripted it in more detailed way in separate thread.

And no issues with freezing system etc. One note on the side - I'm not sure if I own version Z8750 or  Z8700, I've preorderd it on GeekBuying and I didn't received my console from first batch, but from second (sent in 24th October). Message on GeekBuying website didn't clarify it. I haven't made any update of firmware so far (due to the fact that I didn't have any issues with GPD Win).

go to computer information or something (don't knwo exactly in win10) and you can see easily what 8700 or 8750 :D

MOFO

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 03:44:00 pm »
What a major dissapontment the WIN has become, I was really looking forward to getting one but GPD can go screw themselves for sending out so many crashing WIN's.
Glad to see at least a couple of people have working units but personally I'm not spending my valuable time and money too get a "maybe" working WIN.
I'm still holding out hope GPD fixes this shit-storm but I'm losing it pretty fast.......seems the more people get them they all experience crashes.

eragon2890

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 04:46:06 pm »
given that two days ago when this poll started the bottom bar was 85% , we are heading in the right direction with the results at a nice fast pace.

Hopefully i will be able to click the top bar too tomorrow.

MOFO

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 06:00:01 pm »
The point is there are still way to many unstable crashing WIN's, OK I get that in manufacturing you will see some defects but this is still way out of control at this point.
Trust me I want a working unit as badly as you do but I'm not a gambling man and really don't want to spend much too valuable time trying to fix something that should not be broken to begin with.

eragon2890

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 08:18:41 pm »
The point is there are still way to many unstable crashing WIN's, OK I get that in manufacturing you will see some defects but this is still way out of control at this point.
Trust me I want a working unit as badly as you do but I'm not a gambling man and really don't want to spend much too valuable time trying to fix something that should not be broken to begin with.

A) it's not known it's a software or hardware issue for sure

B) we keep seeing the same 20 or 30 people saying their unit doesn't work (also after a clean reinstall which is not much work and you may want to do anyway), there have been about 2500 shipped out to IGG, 2000 to Jd and hundreds to resellers

C) Most problems seem to be reported by people within a short range of time, strongly indicating it's one batch. All but one persons on the spanish forums were happy. Japanese seemed happy. Happy germans also on youtube. We just don't hear about them, because they use Japanese or spanish or German language forums. GPD seemed to ship out mostly by country. I think the shit just had hit the fan in the batch made right at the moment they started shipping to English speaking markets - which is why on here they seem aklmost universally shit.
If on the Spanish forum they seem almost as universally great, it's probably one bad batch.

D) even for English markers, we don;t know how many hundreds are enjoying their wins.

TLDR: remember last year? We had a poll when the XD was released, more then 30% of respondents had non-working XD's! The poll results were basically the same! Yet you are totally correct in what you said in your last post, the XD's mostly worked great! Why? Because the poll results were more skewed then skewered meat on a shaslick stick.

Especially since not only are people with issues more likely to report it, they are alo more likely to keep track of the forums all day long because we are discussing possible solutions here, and thus they are a hundred times more likely to even see a topic with a poll has been made.  Proof? Simple. Within two hours we had 9 people reporting the bottom bar, and one in the upper. Now, 30 hours later, we still have 9 people in the lowest bar, and 11 in the upper two bars with no problems.

CLEARLY, people are much, much quicker with reporting when they have issues then when they don't. So it's very liely that if hte percentage here is (by now) 36 (yesterday it was 85...), in reality the % with unusable units is more like 5% at most.

danomat1073

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 09:33:32 pm »

A) it's not known it's a software or hardware issue for sure

B) we keep seeing the same 20 or 30 people saying their unit doesn't work (also after a clean reinstall which is not much work and you may want to do anyway), there have been about 2500 shipped out to IGG, 2000 to Jd and hundreds to resellers

C) Most problems seem to be reported by people within a short range of time, strongly indicating it's one batch. All but one persons on the spanish forums were happy. Japanese seemed happy. Happy germans also on youtube. We just don't hear about them, because they use Japanese or spanish or German language forums. GPD seemed to ship out mostly by country. I think the shit just had hit the fan in the batch made right at the moment they started shipping to English speaking markets - which is why on here they seem aklmost universally shit.
If on the Spanish forum they seem almost as universally great, it's probably one bad batch.

D) even for English markers, we don;t know how many hundreds are enjoying their wins.

TLDR: remember last year? We had a poll when the XD was released, more then 30% of respondents had non-working XD's! The poll results were basically the same! Yet you are totally correct in what you said in your last post, the XD's mostly worked great! Why? Because the poll results were more skewed then skewered meat on a shaslick stick.

Especially since not only are people with issues more likely to report it, they are alo more likely to keep track of the forums all day long because we are discussing possible solutions here, and thus they are a hundred times more likely to even see a topic with a poll has been made.  Proof? Simple. Within two hours we had 9 people reporting the bottom bar, and one in the upper. Now, 30 hours later, we still have 9 people in the lowest bar, and 11 in the upper two bars with no problems.

CLEARLY, people are much, much quicker with reporting when they have issues then when they don't. So it's very liely that if hte percentage here is (by now) 36 (yesterday it was 85...), in reality the % with unusable units is more like 5% at most.
Good explanation. I agree with you completely.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MOFO

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 09:55:21 pm »
I truly hope you get a fully functional WIN eragon but all I know is I'm not going to be the beta tester and with my luck end up getting a bum unit.
Still 20-30 people is still a lot especially on these forums, I'm not here to argue with anyone just voicing my displeasure with GPD.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 09:59:52 pm »
I truly hope you get a fully functional WIN eragon but all I know is I'm not going to be the beta tester and with my luck end up getting a bum unit.
Still 20-30 people is still a lot especially on these forums, I'm not here to argue with anyone just voicing my displeasure with GPD.
Well, you can always wait for smachz device to ser if it's better. It's quite simple, if you don't like it, don't buy it. I haven't bought it either. As simple as that.
Retired

Post a new topic
Post a new topic