• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD WIN - Poll  (Read 18963 times)

vcoleiro1 (OP)

Re: GPD WIN - Poll
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2016, 03:46:50 am »
Kendy just made another Indiegogo update which shows the WIN Pcb now populated

Feanor

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2016, 10:43:04 am »
Wow this could be the real definitive handled gaming console but i'll wait and read rev before the purchase i still have doubts on how win 10 will run on a 5,5" screen and how well the keyboard and buttons will be realized. Right now i'm fully satisfied with the GPD XD but a handled console running Win OS would be a dream come true.

MOFO

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2016, 11:09:57 am »
I also think W10 on such a small screen will be problematic, especially reading text and basic information when gaming.
PC games were never made to be played on such a small screen, I hope I'm wrong but I do see it as a potential problem.

maarten12100

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2016, 11:21:38 am »
I also think W10 on such a small screen will be problematic, especially reading text and basic information when gaming.
PC games were never made to be played on such a small screen, I hope I'm wrong but I do see it as a potential problem.
If you have a GPD XD you can test with a desktop viewer. At every DPI setting it is quite bad. I think game text will be as bad :(

notime2d8

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2016, 02:42:06 pm »
I wonder if those are programming pins on the back? If so, that may be the accessible spot for USB for mods...may not actually have space though.

And you can tweak everything in windows like fonts, resolution, and dpi. I'm sure we can tweak it to find something that works....If not "windows magnifier" to the rescue!!!!  8) 

CampGareth

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2016, 09:26:06 pm »

It depends on the game I think, but yes default DPI setting will need a boost. Just to see the problem in action I loaded up Rocket League at 1280x720 and took a screenshot, then pulled that up on my 5.4" phone. Settings menu so plenty of text, perhaps a little bigger than usual for Windows. It was a little dense but fine really, entirely readable held at arms length.

Any particular games you see as being problematic?

MacGnG

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2016, 03:24:55 am »
i backed it right away when i saw it cause the the xd 64gb is so nice i trust they will do a good job. i really doubt its gonna be ready right on time, but hopefully by the holiday season.

MOFO

Re: GPD WIN - P
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2016, 06:51:38 am »

It depends on the game I think, but yes default DPI setting will need a boost. Just to see the problem in action I loaded up Rocket League at 1280x720 and took a screenshot, then pulled that up on my 5.4" phone. Settings menu so plenty of text, perhaps a little bigger than usual for Windows. It was a little dense but fine really, entirely readable held at arms length.

Any particular games you see as being problematic?

Well here's the thing I have a last gen Teclast air 3G tablet with the Z3736F SOC, it's a pretty good tablet but playing PC games was a bit of a challenge balancing performance (trying to get around 30FPS) and still leaving it at a decent screen res, yeah 720p looks fine but many times game play was lagging and stuttered even at the lowest settings, I totally get comparing the older chipset with the newer is a bit silly but some games that I tried at 800x600 were playable at full screen but still reading text was a bit of a challenge even on a much bigger screen, one game in particular was Darksiders 2 and while text was still readable it looked blurry as hell and I can imagine will be magnified on a much smaller screen.
I

barai

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2016, 07:13:51 am »
What is interesting to see is the number of people only just now finding out about the gpd win and backing it.
Maybe the pyra gave it some extra exposure.

Berryal

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2016, 01:32:30 pm »
My biggest concern that I have been thinking about for a while now is Malware.   I've been fighting a losing battle against malware on my PC for a while.   And I have been thinking about what impact malweare would have on the WIN.

For example, we all know that anti malware apps take a piece out of your systems performance.  I wonder how much of a performance issue running anti malware on the WIN will be.   Of course if you get malware on it , thats going to be bad.   

It's the one thing I hate about Windows.
Honestly I don't see the need of antimalware on Windows 10 and above. I've never used any on mine besides window defender and even then I turn it off a lot, and have never had any problems besides once bing became my homepage and I couldn't change it. No big deal.

Personally I definitely won't use any anti-malware on the gpd win.

Also: I'm super excited for this thing! Bring on the portable platforming goodness, my BODY IS READY.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

dubsmachine

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2016, 03:45:22 pm »
At first I didn't back it but after I played with my XD for a few days and saw the progress I jumped on board.

I love my XD but don't like relying on Android and all the issues with crashes on the emulators.
I decided to go for this because there are more options for Windows emulators and no play store to deal with.

I am concerned how it will feel in hand - will it all be too cramped and can the triggers be used easily.
The only issue I have with XD is that the L2 / R2 are pretty bad to try and use during a game.

Having a Teclast X98 Pro already I am sure that even if it uses the same chip it will be powerful to do what I need it to do but of course everyone wants the latest and fastest chip possible.

If this GPD Win can run Xbox / PS2 / Wii games it would be the only device I need for a long time.

eragon2890

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2016, 05:20:44 pm »
At first I didn't back it but after I played with my XD for a few days and saw the progress I jumped on board.

I love my XD but don't like relying on Android and all the issues with crashes on the emulators.
I decided to go for this because there are more options for Windows emulators and no play store to deal with.

I am concerned how it will feel in hand - will it all be too cramped and can the triggers be used easily.
The only issue I have with XD is that the L2 / R2 are pretty bad to try and use during a game.

Having a Teclast X98 Pro already I am sure that even if it uses the same chip it will be powerful to do what I need it to do but of course everyone wants the latest and fastest chip possible.

If this GPD Win can run Xbox / PS2 / Wii games it would be the only device I need for a long time.

*Sound of Zelda treasure chest opening* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOTSc1YaJA

(because it's that epic)

so yes, it runs gamecube and wii games or at least soem of them pretty much perfectly with the new dolphin dx12 backend. That is one the teclast x98 pro, so that also means, that if you impatient, you can play them rigth now if you buy an ipego or something since you already have one~

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2016, 03:58:36 pm »
I voted that I'll wait for reviews once it launches, but I'm getting more and more excited about it. Just knowing it'll probably run most of my steam games (most are not modern AAA games) and that I may be able to code on it is enough for me to want one. And now that I see it would probably play GC and PS2 games... Too bad I didn't had the 300 dollars to back it up on Kickstarter. I'll have to wait a lot to have the ~500 dollars for the retail units, so I guess I'll be watching reviews before buying anyway.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

• * AKA Dreamesper
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2016, 04:01:38 pm »
the retail units seem to be pre-ordering for $325-330... not $500 as originally stated on their internet campaign.