• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD WIN Performance Guide  (Read 47387 times)

thk12345 (OP)

GPD WIN Performance Guide
« on: November 13, 2016, 02:52:42 am »
Please note that these settings have worked perfectly for me and haven?t caused any issues on my GPD WIN as of yet. I will be showing you some bios tweaks which can be risky which can brick your GPD WIN so please do this at your own risk. That being said, these settings have given me better results in games than compared to stock bios settings. Also, my GPD WIN has no driver crashing issues so if you are one of those unlucky people to get a GPD WIN with SOC defect, these settings might not work on your GPD WIN. In other words, these settings should work perfectly with a non-defective GPD WIN. So now that you have warned, let?s get on with it.

Firstly, we will be doing bios tweaks
?   Go to BIOS settings by hitting DEL when booting up and go to SAVE & EXIT and click on RESTORE DEFAULTS.
?   After restoring everything to stock, go to bios again. Go to ADVANCED and click on THERMAL>THERMAL CONFIGURATION and change PASSIVE to 75C on PROXY SENSOR, AMBIENT PARTICIPANT, CHARGER DISPLAY SENSOR, and CHARGER BOARD SENSOR. After that save settings and exit
?   Go to BIOS again. This time, go to CHIPSET>NORTH BRIDGE>INTEL IGD CONFIGURATION. In this tab, we will be doing a lot of changes. Enable GFX BOOST, IGD THERMAL, and POWER METER LOCK. Disable/Enable IGD TURBO ENABLE (SEE UPDATE 2) and set DVMT PER ALLOCATED to 512M. Save settings and exit
?   Go to BIOS again. Go to CHIPSET>NORTH BRIDGE>MEMORY CONFIGURATION OPTIONS. Ok this change which we are about to make is the most dangerous one because it can cause your GPD WIN not to boot again (source- PHAWX). I did the change but can?t honestly tell if gaming fps has improved because of this or not, so if you think you don?t want to take any change then don?t. The setting is to change DRAM SPEED GRADE to FAST. If you decide to do it, save it and exit. Note this time it will take longer than usual to reset so be patient. If everything goes well, congrats your GPD WIN isn?t bricked!

Now that we are done with BIOS tweaks. It?s time to reinstall Windows 10
?   Follow Phawx?s awesome tutorial to reinstall windows 10. Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPqkEgWwcdM
?   When you are done reinstalling the OS and setting it up. Just go to customize and set everything to OFF. Don?s use EXPRESS SETTINGS.
?   Install the drivers. Link - http://www.mediafire.com/file/31owja8j34c54il/GPD+WIN+drivers%EF%BC%8820160928%29.zip
?   Install new wifi drivers to get 5GHZ working. Link - http://www.mediafire.com/file/m65e7jjkmh3agoc/GPDwin_PCIe_1.558.53.14.zip
?   After installing the drivers, everything should be working fine.
?   What I suggest is not to update windows at all and disable automatic updates using services. I have done this and haven?t had any issues in windows so far.
?   Next let?s set up Intel Graphics configuration. Make sure you use the graphics drivers provided in the driver pack, don?t update it or anything. Go to GRAPHICS PROPERTIES>POWER and disable both EXTENDED BATTERY LIFE FOR GAMING and POWER SAVING TECHNOLOGY. Click on apply to save the settings.
?   Now go to 3D. Turn of MORPHOLOGICAL ANTI ALIASING. Change general settings to PERFORMANCE and click on apply to save.
?   Now go to DISPLAY and add a custom resolution. Put 544 in WIDTH and 960 in HEIGHT and 60 in REFRESH RATE. Click on ADD to save. This resolution is good for playing some newer games and you can pretty decent FPS as well.
?   This step is optional but you change GAMMA from COLOR SETTINGS to .8 or .9. This change makes some games look really good.

Now that we have set up Windows. It?s time for THROTTLESTOP. This software is awesome and helps out in a lot of the games I have tried.
?   Install ThrottleStop 8.30. Link - https://www.sendspace.com/file/ghbhyh
?   So here?s the things about this software. It basically can make your chip run at its base clock of 1.6ghz which can help in a lot of games and vice versa. I have noticed that certain games run better on base clocks instead of turbo boost. I am guessing this happens due to throttling but this software basically helps with the throttling and makes some games run better than being on turbo boost.
?   To play games on base clocks of 1.6ghz, tick on SET MULTIPLIER and DISABLE TURBO and turn on.
?   To play games on turbo boost, just untick DISABLE TURBO.
?   If you are just browsing and surfing the net, I suggest you run the chip on base clocks. Also untick SET MULTIPLIER when you are doing simple tasks on Windows.

That?s all. We are done setting up your GPD WIN for max performance!!!

Note: I tested all these settings and played with my GPD WIN for the past 5 days without any issues. On these settings, my max temp was around 77C while playing Alice: Madness returns (960x544 res with some .ini tweaks around high 35fps to 55fps) for an hour without any crashes or hiccups. Battery life went from 76 to 37 in an hour so lost about 40% in an hour which isn?t bad on brightness level of 50%. Some games where base clocks help with fps are in Hyper Light Drifter and Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands. In others like Fable: Lost chapters and Hitman blood money turbo boost helped a lot. So my suggestion is just to switch back and forth from turbo to base to see if there?s any boost in fps or decrease in a specific scene of the game. When switching remember to wait for couple of seconds for GPU to kick in. Hope my guide will help you to achieve solid performance! Also if you have any questions, let me know. 

UPDATE: Guys Disable IGD TURBO ENABLE. These changes will make your GPU to run at 100% at 400mhz all the time. This tweak locks it 400mhz all the time and does go higher than that and helps with certain games.

UPDATE 2: Check out these comparisons with some bios tweaks. It seems that some games perform better or worse by setting IGD TURBO ENABLE to Auto or Disabled but keeping POWER METER LOCK to enabled all the time.

http://imgur.com/a/tHObt

UPDATE 3: To stop games from throttling at high temps for long periods of gaming, make this change in the bios. ADVANCED - CPU CONFIGURATION - CPU THERMAL CONFIGURATION - DTS - ENABLED

UPDATE 4: Enable IGD TURBO ENABLE and POWER METER LOCK in bios to get GPU running at 600mhz most of the time. This tweak doesn't lock 600mhz but tries to run it at that frequency most of the time. (SOURCE - nex86)

UPDATE 5: THROTTLESTOP is awesome. Set your own clocks you want your GPD WIN to at run whenever.

Tick SET MULTIPLIER to set the clocks according to what you want.
30T = 2400mhz (Maximum turbo boost for z8700)
29T = 2320mhz
28T = 2240mhz
27T = 2160mhz
26T = 2080mhz
25T = 2000mhz
24T = 1920mhz
23T = 1840mhz
22T = 1760mhz
21T = 1680mhz
20T = 1600mhz (Base clock for z8700)

GPD WIN runs at 2400mhz by default which causes a lot of heat which can get uncomfortable while playing games for a long period of time so a quick fix for the heat is to set your max frequency less than 2400mhz. Setting it at 1600mhz is the best solution to get the least amount of heat out of your system since games will be running at its base clocks which can hurt fps in certain games . So instead of settling for base clocks, set it to 2000mhz (IDEAL SETTING FOR ME) or whatever you prefer to get the best out of heat and fps.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:27:09 am by thk12345 »

phoenixfox

Re: GPD WIN Performance Guide
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 07:51:20 am »
Thanks for the guide.

I was able to do the DRAM change without issues so far (but I have never experience a crash on my GPD so far)

danomat1073

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 08:10:06 am »
Cool, guide. I did all the bios and gpu stuff. I had already tweaked my windows and installed a butt load of games so I didn't reinstall windows.

As far as throttle stop is concerned, I'm using it, but haven't quite figured out it it is needed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

phoenixfox

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:11:23 am »
I'm going to try the PHDGD drivers and see if there is any improvement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiG-W_FiXX4

thk12345 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 10:52:41 am »
I'm going to try the PHDGD drivers and see if there is any improvement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiG-W_FiXX4

Yes, let me know please!

phoenixfox

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 11:28:53 am »
So far no crashes with the PHDGD drivers. I also didn't notice a huge boost in performance, but tbf I didn't have any previous benchmarks to compare to

thk12345 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 06:48:53 am »
So far no crashes with the PHDGD drivers. I also didn't notice a huge boost in performance, but tbf I didn't have any previous benchmarks to compare to

I will try the PHDGD drivers and see if theres any improvement.

thk12345 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 06:57:55 am »
UPDATE 2: Check out these comparisons with some bios tweaks. It seems that some games perform better or worse by setting IGD TURBO ENABLE to Auto or Disabled but keeping POWER METER LOCK to enabled all the time.

phoenixfox

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 07:06:11 am »
Good find

Do you think this is caused by throttling at high temps?

Deen0X

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 09:10:28 am »
about this:
"Now go to 3D. Turn off MULTI SAMPLE ANTI ALIASING AND MORPHOLOGICAL ANTI ALIASING. Change general settings to PERFORMANCE and click on apply to save."

i recommend to NOT disabling antialiasing. some games will not start if the GPU don?t have this feature enabled.
simply you can disable in options of many games.

alternatively, you can turn off in some titles, if you think will gain some performance, but in general speaking i keep this feature on for compatibility.

okyoureabeast

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 12:04:06 pm »
How long is your battery life after this?

thk12345 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 05:01:11 pm »
Good find

Do you think this is caused by throttling at high temps?

I don't think so bc my fps stays constant for however long I play.

thk12345 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 05:01:30 pm »
about this:
"Now go to 3D. Turn off MULTI SAMPLE ANTI ALIASING AND MORPHOLOGICAL ANTI ALIASING. Change general settings to PERFORMANCE and click on apply to save."

i recommend to NOT disabling antialiasing. some games will not start if the GPU don?t have this feature enabled.
simply you can disable in options of many games.

alternatively, you can turn off in some titles, if you think will gain some performance, but in general speaking i keep this feature on for compatibility.

Noted

thk12345 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 05:02:11 pm »
How long is your battery life after this?

2-3 hours for gpu intensive games.

baconstrip

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 08:12:26 pm »
Thank you so much for this.  Great find on the IGD TURBO stuff... gonna play around with that a bit whenI get home :)

Maniac

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 01:03:07 am »

Those screenshots would be so much more helpful if the GPU clock were included.

thk12345 (OP)

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 01:37:11 am »
Thank you so much for this.  Great find on the IGD TURBO stuff... gonna play around with that a bit whenI get home :)

No problem. Let me know if you see any improvements.

thk12345 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 01:40:30 am »

When IGD TURBO ENABLE is set to disabled, GPU CLOCK is constant at 400mhz and doesnt go higher than that.
When IGD TURBO ENABLE is set to Auto then the GPU CLOCK varies.

Willburn

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 07:46:02 pm »

When IGD TURBO ENABLE is set to disabled, GPU CLOCK is constant at 400mhz and doesnt go higher than that.
When IGD TURBO ENABLE is set to Auto then the GPU CLOCK varies.

I find this very surprising...
Why would some games perform better with a lower GPU clock speed...?

Also if igd Turbo controls the gpu clock then what exactly does power meter lock do? I was under the impression that gpu clock was controlled by that setting...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:01:03 pm by Willburn »

thk12345 (OP)

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 09:54:49 am »
I honestly don't know why games perform better with lower gpu clocks but the benchmarks says otherwise. I tried enabling/disabling power meter lock and didn't seem to do anything.