Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 1118997 times)

eragon2890

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #3040 on: September 19, 2016, 03:35:39 pm »

That's a worrying one. If that's the glass digitizer peeling away its a serious cause for concern, its not just cosmetic, its pretty likely the screen will break eventually from flexing. I have experienced this multiple times myself when playing around with tablet repair, as the glass is so brittle the smallest flex can easily cause it to split. It happened in my Dell Venue 8 where I did a screen repair and broke one of the lugs that holds the digitizer firm. One day after a bit of use pop it just cracked. If the screen isn't glued onto a flat firm surface its gonna have some isuses.
I'm not talking about the digitizer peeling away from the screen but rather the plastic case peeling away from the screen assembly.
One way or another though this should be a easily fixable issue and I'd be surprised if it pops up again.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4788420721
Hey Phawx, random internet stranger says hi to you

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4788363546
The greatest pleasure in life is to see the post indiegogo on foreigners watching the machine turn posted it discuss the effect of turning the machine you know, laughable. Salt fish (salted fish)? Hair (hair)? Spray (sprayer)? Spray confusion (chaos spray)? Foreigners look at these words fierce discussion
This cracked me up

He/she is right, machine translations are surely one of the greatest eartly pleasures... at least one of the funniest ones XD

eragon2890

« Reply #3041 on: September 19, 2016, 03:50:38 pm »
about the second batch... I just looked up gpd win on baidu forum and first two hits are one person whose screen will not rotate and another who has difficulty pressing two of his face buttons (the abxy ones)...

But I don't know if these are first or second batch. It would be logical to assume the second batch is better.

Here are a couple of links that seem to be based on the second batch. But I was originally referencing the fact that the second batch were marked as qc passed and the fact that I had seen less complaints on the forums. Keep in mind, while its true there was a decent amount of complaints in regards to the quality, we're more likely to hear about the users who did get a faulty unit, rather than the ones who got it and are playing with it. I mean... Something like a 1000+ units are out in the wild and we've gotten like... 1 new video and a few game tested pictures, but that's about it.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4788542386
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4787790497

Something that the second post made a good point about and something I don't think actively discussed. While the hardware keyboard is obviously not ideal, the screen is touchscreen and if serious typing were required, there is also the Onscreen Keyboard available.

Something I will mentioned that I saw from those two posts and have seen some discussion on. Is how hot the machine gets while being charged. Obviously this is coming from the battery, but makes me wonder how uncomfortable it may be while charging to handle. Another thing, some users are saying it still charges slowly. So I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the cables being included or if its simply the device pulls to much power and the input is just to low of a draw.

AFAIK I thought only about 150 had been shipped before the 2nd batch? not a 1000? Anyway yeah those two threads make me very hopefull, and it was already obvious most even from the first batch were okay, plus I have web8bits who is European reseller who just told me they will check before sending it to me so I am not worried.

But yeah looks like 2nd batch is much better. Good. XD That means our units will 99.9% likely be, too.

Willburn

« Reply #3042 on: September 19, 2016, 04:05:00 pm »

He/she is right, machine translations are surely one of the greatest eartly pleasures... at least one of the funniest ones XD

This one had me in tears:

When I read that I was just like: Wat  :-\

Found here: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4788542386

billlihao

« Reply #3043 on: September 19, 2016, 04:22:08 pm »

Phawx

« Reply #3044 on: September 19, 2016, 04:33:23 pm »

That's a worrying one. If that's the glass digitizer peeling away its a serious cause for concern, its not just cosmetic, its pretty likely the screen will break eventually from flexing. I have experienced this multiple times myself when playing around with tablet repair, as the glass is so brittle the smallest flex can easily cause it to split. It happened in my Dell Venue 8 where I did a screen repair and broke one of the lugs that holds the digitizer firm. One day after a bit of use pop it just cracked. If the screen isn't glued onto a flat firm surface its gonna have some isuses.
I'm not talking about the digitizer peeling away from the screen but rather the plastic case peeling away from the screen assembly.
One way or another though this should be a easily fixable issue and I'd be surprised if it pops up again.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4788420721
Hey Phawx, random internet stranger says hi to you

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4788363546
The greatest pleasure in life is to see the post indiegogo on foreigners watching the machine turn posted it discuss the effect of turning the machine you know, laughable. Salt fish (salted fish)? Hair (hair)? Spray (sprayer)? Spray confusion (chaos spray)? Foreigners look at these words fierce discussion
This cracked me up

Haha, this is awesome.  It's too bad I can't create an account on Baidu. 

Hello 吉鲃猫

I'd buy a GPDWin from someone on Idle Fish but at this point I'm only two weeks away from GPD shipping mine.

Gin2168

« Reply #3045 on: September 19, 2016, 04:34:44 pm »
http://toutiao.com/a6331995871006228737/

This is really awesome. Shows a complete breakdown of the device! =D

Robbey

« Reply #3046 on: September 19, 2016, 04:36:24 pm »
 Did anyone talk about the keyboardsame yet?

eragon2890

« Reply #3047 on: September 19, 2016, 04:38:03 pm »
http://toutiao.com/a6331995871006228737/

WOOHOO! *IF* I had any doubts about quality, those are now removed, because the design and build quality of that unit are quite simply astounding! It's like I am looking at an ipad being disassembled! The attention to durability and clean-ness in the design are awesome!

AVahne

« Reply #3048 on: September 19, 2016, 04:40:56 pm »
That's a sexy look into the Win's insides.
Also, now we know that there's definitely a hole for the fan in the PCB.

Phawx

« Reply #3049 on: September 19, 2016, 04:54:02 pm »
Oh yea, look at that money shot:

Can finally see the hole in the PCB for the fan.  Also good lord that is way too much thermal paste.

Phawx

« Reply #3050 on: September 19, 2016, 05:20:59 pm »
Did anyone talk about the keyboardsame yet?

We've had a few actual reviews of the device and they are super barebones in terms of feel of the gamepads/keyboard or actual performance. 

Most of the reviews center around how it looks and just a whisper of actual meat.

MJPIA

« Reply #3051 on: September 19, 2016, 05:33:05 pm »
Looks like that fan is a very close relative of the fan used in the powerbook G4 Titanium.

For comparison's sake.

The original motherboard.

twentytwo

« Reply #3052 on: September 19, 2016, 06:27:03 pm »
I'd buy a GPDWin from someone on Idle Fish but at this point I'm only two weeks away from GPD shipping mine.

Did you hear something we didn't?

brushpicks11

« Reply #3053 on: September 19, 2016, 06:49:03 pm »
I'm waiting to hear if any people with their new shiny Win has tried a 200gb MicroSD card. I'll be getting one for myself for christmas if it's confirmed compatible.

MJPIA

« Reply #3054 on: September 19, 2016, 06:51:31 pm »
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4788038333

Seen several times in the middle, the standby is very satisfied with the way

Look at the stock 9:35 boot, to the present
Xinxinwang7 Uploading Locally 9-19
Total 14 Replies
Q1803407287 in hand to see (⊙ o ⊙) very convenient
2016-09-19 00:27
Guerilla
2016-09-19 00:34
Kuankuanla. . .
2016-09-19 00:39
Datouji rose?
2016-09-19 01:14
Ohmycene
2016-09-19 01:20
A86752270 not clear about how long life
2016-09-19 02:40
Blanka19812011 about two hours out of the 12 percent of the electricity
2016-09-19 02:57
Huiyuan 153791
2016-09-19 02:58
Waidom That's what I want
2016-09-19 09:16
Skymovie2012 such a small application Standby can, test the game bar

Does anyone know what application this is?

(E) A bunch of people in one thread said they were using 200gb sd cards with no issues.

Phawx

« Reply #3055 on: September 19, 2016, 06:56:44 pm »

There are around 14 GPDWins for sale on IdleFish.  Ranging from $315-400.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:06:29 pm by Phawx »

Maniac

« Reply #3056 on: September 19, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »
If the additional .5A is enough to power the device so that the 2.0A is fully dedicated to charging the battery, then that's more than fine for me. I just want to be able to charge the device on the go from my power pack and still use the device. So then it's just a matter of the heat.
I don't think so... I think they bumped it up to 2.5A because it wasn't charging while being used. As such, we can infer that only about 0.5A is used for charging while gaming, 2.0A is for device power.

twentytwo

« Reply #3057 on: September 19, 2016, 07:03:26 pm »

There are around 14 GPDWins for sale on IdleFish.  Ranging from $315-400

Nah, I mean with GPD shipping yours in two weeks. I mean, I guess that's close to when they are supposed to start with all IndieGogo stuff, I was just wondering if you had any direct communication because I know you are pretty up on this stuff.

Maniac

« Reply #3058 on: September 19, 2016, 07:03:51 pm »
Can finally see the hole in the PCB for the fan.  Also good lord that is way too much thermal paste.

Same thoughts here... might be worth opening just to swap out the thermal paste.

Phawx

« Reply #3059 on: September 19, 2016, 07:06:38 pm »

There are around 14 GPDWins for sale on IdleFish.  Ranging from $315-400

Nah, I mean with GPD shipping yours in two weeks. I mean, I guess that's close to when they are supposed to start with all IndieGogo stuff, I was just wondering if you had any direct communication because I know you are pretty up on this stuff.

AFAIK, JD.com backers orders are supposed to be completely shipped by end of September.  And GPD is not waiting around to produce IndieGoGo orders, so they will then begin mass producing IndieGoGo orders End of Sept/Beginning of Oct.  And I know that I am in the first batch of IndieGoGo orders.

Edit: Also, I have been in contact with as many people at GPD as I can, I was trying to get one of the units that are being made for JD.com to ship to me.  My reasoning was that I could produce a lot of videos for western market and also I was one of the first to back on IndieGoGo (meaning I'd be in the first batch for indiegogo anyway).  I've offered to paypal extra money to cover expenses for express shipping and handling and I've basically been told 'no' to my request.  I have been told I am in the first batch for IndieGoGo orders, which I didn't really need to be told as I would hope one of the first ten orders would be in the first batch XD

Same thoughts here... might be worth opening just to swap out the thermal paste.

Same.  I'll most likely make some tests and record results before/after.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:18:27 pm by Phawx »