Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 980614 times)

Pleng

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 09:09:31 am »
$499 and no Android.

It's steep for a dual-boot but an absolute no-go for a single OS device.

Saber

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2016, 12:44:02 pm »
Hello,I know there is many member do not satisfactory with the keyboard layout.I will try my best to suggest to fix it.But i am not sure.Cause this is decide by our production team and maybe they have their own concerns.Hope you all could understand.
I really hope you can get them to reconsider, I would buy it if the keyboard made any sense. There is just no reason to have a physical keyboard if you cant use both hands.
This Kendy.

masterofstuff124

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2016, 06:24:51 am »
wow that indie gogo has me super depressed. the location of l3 and r3 being unaccesable seems ridiculous.  Tiny screen making standard windows operation annoying. At $500 i will not be buying this. nor will i spend 300 on something that doesnt even exist yet.
"Space does tend to take your breath away"

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2016, 07:18:03 am »
Kendy
can you answer the following points? (may be so useful if you post on indiegogo page)

- The device will have a switch/button for switch between DInput and XInput modes?
- When you're on Mouse mode, the rest of gamepad will be disabled?
- There will be a switch for enable/disable the keyboard? this is very important in my opinion, because disabling the keyboard you can avoid accidental pressings on the keyboard when playing

Suggestions:
- When the device is in Mouse mode, maybe the left stick act as the wheel (up and down), and R2 may be the center button.

- Will be so useful for gaming experience, if the wifi is 5ghz (dual channel). a portable device like this become ideal for streaming experience, and dual-channel is the best way to get this. with dual-channel you can play at 1080p/60fps without problems.
Yes, the screen is 720p, but if you play with the device plugged to a TV, you can get 1080p via HDMI

- Maybe useful if the device have a switch/button (hardware or software) for disable the built in gamepad.
Situation: if i want to play with the device plugged to TV (as desktop gaming console/PC), and connect a bluetooth gamepad, most probably the first gamepad recognized on the system is the built in gampead. This will cause some problems on many games, because they don?t have a way to select which gamepad you want to use for playing, and use directly the first one that is connected to the system
For this reason, i think is a good implementation some sort of button (maybe via software) for easy "enable/disable" (or plug and unplug) the builtin gamepad, for allow other gamepads become the first recognized by the system.

- Suggestion based on GPD-XD device. May be the gravity sensor can be located on the screen section of the device?
many times you are playing on GPD-XD, and screen orientation changes because the base of the device is not aligned with the user, but the most natural is thinking that the screen is the pain part that control this behavior.

- May be the device come with two (duplicated) headphones outputs?
Plugging a wired headphone on the current GPD-XD sometimes is a problem, because as my experience, if you're playing on bus/subway/train and there are so much people near, is so easy to the connector get messed by people and, potentially, break the piece.
if GPD-Win come with a second headphone plug located on the front of the device, will be more secure for avoiding this kind of situations, because users can plug their headphones in front and take care of the connector with easy.

Thanks so much for your kind suggestion!!
And for the question:
1.GPD WIN can support both Xinput and Dinput. But it don't have a switch between this two mode.
2.When on Mouse mode, the rest of gamepad will be disabled.In order to let mouse convenient use and avoid accidental pressings on the joysticks when use mouse.so we design this mode.
3.No switch for enable/disable the keyboard,The hand should not affect the keyboard.you can check the pic blow:

shinkamui

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2016, 07:32:10 am »
Kendy
can you answer the following points? (may be so useful if you post on indiegogo page)

- The device will have a switch/button for switch between DInput and XInput modes?
- There will be a switch for enable/disable the keyboard? this is very important in my opinion, because disabling the keyboard you can avoid accidental pressings on the keyboard when playing

Suggestions:
- When the device is in Mouse mode, maybe the left stick act as the wheel (up and down), and R2 may be the center button.

- Will be so useful for gaming experience, if the wifi is 5ghz (dual channel). a portable device like this become ideal for streaming experience, and dual-channel is the best way to get this. with dual-channel you can play at 1080p/60fps without problems.
Yes, the screen is 720p, but if you play with the device plugged to a TV, you can get 1080p via HDMI

- Maybe useful if the device have a switch/button (hardware or software) for disable the built in gamepad.
Situation: if i want to play with the device plugged to TV (as desktop gaming console/PC), and connect a bluetooth gamepad, most probably the first gamepad recognized on the system is the built in gampead. This will cause some problems on many games, because they don?t have a way to select which gamepad you want to use for playing, and use directly the first one that is connected to the system
For this reason, i think is a good implementation some sort of button (maybe via software) for easy "enable/disable" (or plug and unplug) the builtin gamepad, for allow other gamepads become the first recognized by the system.

- Suggestion based on GPD-XD device. May be the gravity sensor can be located on the screen section of the device?
many times you are playing on GPD-XD, and screen orientation changes because the base of the device is not aligned with the user, but the most natural is thinking that the screen is the pain part that control this behavior.

Plugging a wired headphone on the current GPD-XD sometimes is a problem, because as my experience, if you're playing on bus/subway/train and there are so much people near, is so easy to the connector get messed by people and, potentially, break the piece.
if GPD-Win come with a second headphone plug located on the front of the device, will be more secure for avoiding this kind of situations, because users can plug their headphones in front and take care of the connector with easy.

Thanks so much for your kind suggestion!!
And for the question:
1.GPD WIN can support both Xinput and Dinput. But it don't have a switch between this two mode.
2.When on Mouse mode, the rest of gamepad will be disabled.In order to let mouse convenient use and avoid accidental pressings on the joysticks when use mouse.so we design this mode.
3.No switch for enable/disable the keyboard,The hand should not affect the keyboard.you can check the pic blow:

Kendy, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not disable the gamepad when in mouse mode.  This is a windows device after all.  There are LOTS of games without gamepad support but keyboard mouse emulation would work great.  Instead, in mouse mode, let us configure either hotkeys (asdf), or hard assign asdf or dpad to keys.  It would in fact be advisable to enable custom controller mapping in one or both modes.  The steam controller is an excellent example of providing a controller that can be custom mapped properly to any combination of keyboard, mouse, gamepad keys/buttons.  Thats your killer selling point right there.  Thats one of the main reasons the smach-z sounded good (that and the alledged apu).

In the worst possible case, assigning SOMETHING to the disabled buttons and axes will at least enable a chance for in game mapping.  The more options the better.  Im not sure how you're handling the gamepad controller (separate microcontroller?) and its firmware, but whatever you guys do, give us an option to make changes.  Whether that be a gamepad config utility that reflashes the controller, or a utility that the controller driver reads on a per process basis.  Any option is better than disabled.  Shoot, i'd rather see a 3 way hardware switch that toggles between 3 player made configurations.  Let us use one as a mouse if we want/need it?  Anything that can't be updated via a software update or community patch pretty much leaves us screwed.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:39:04 am by shinkamui »

R2112

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 01:00:51 pm »
Kendy, what happens if you don't meet your goal?  Will the GPD Win be cancelled?  I am worried that if I back the project, and your goal isn't met, I will have lost $300 with nothing to show for it.  The IndieGogo campaign is set up with a "flexible goal" meaning you get our money even if you don't meet the goal.  Anyway, as long as the GPD Win will still get made at some point even if you don't meet the goal, I will happily pledge.

Also I agree with vcoleiro1 about the title.  Calling it a laptop will not grab many people's attention.  Calling it something like a Windows-based gaming handheld would probably be more effective.

Good luck!

This is absolutely my concern.
If the goal is not met, do we get a refund?
Will you produce the unit anyway even if the goal is not met?

Hello,This is kendy. Please do not worry about it.Please don't worry.No matter the found raise is succeed or not.we will be surely complete this perfect device!!!Of cause,we all hope you can help us to make this campaign success.So we will have more confidence for GPD WIN!!!Any concerns,just be free to let me know.With many thanks again!!!

I know what you are trying to say, but that doesn't clearly state that I'll get one if I pledge and you guys don't meet the goal- just that you'll still build it.

LordDavon

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2016, 05:44:55 pm »
There are laws in many countries that restrict the length of a prepayment, so if they allow prepayment for the devices, they can't charge until a few days before they ship.  The Indigogo campaign allows GPD to to have prepaid units, and get the money long before they are ready to ship.  They don't really need the cash to develop the device.  They just want it.  The amount that it gets up to probably signifies how many corners they will cut in order to release.  The more devices ordered through the campaign, the better the final device.

eragon2890

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 06:05:02 pm »
Colour me amazed - the campaign seems to be pretty succesfull. I mean consider, they are in less then 5 days of a 60 day campaign and already got to 18% of the goal and sold 55 units. The way this is going, they won't just reach their goal, but get more then twice as much. probably will slowdown later, but still it looks likely they will get to 100.000.

I am not one of them tough, too expensive... which si also why I am so surprised with the funds raising going so quickly! 0_0

Saber

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2016, 11:12:02 pm »
Colour me amazed - the campaign seems to be pretty succesfull. I mean consider, they are in less then 5 days of a 60 day campaign and already got to 18% of the goal and sold 55 units. The way this is going, they won't just reach their goal, but get more then twice as much. probably will slowdown later, but still it looks likely they will get to 100.000.
I think it has to do with the fact there's an absence of pocketable Windows clamshell computers with built-in game controls lending to the campaigns rapid rise in supportive backers.

What worries me is GPD may look upon the Indiegogo success and believe their design is at the good enough stage and thus halt any further improvements, like the z8550 or thumb balancing the keyboard. This might backfire or it will merely guarantee sales by earlier pre-orderers for the compulsory Win2 replacement of the Win1. Hard to tell as yet if support today will feed or stall innovation tomorrow. :-\

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 08:01:25 am »
Get 65 backer with many thinks.Hope you can kindly share this excited new and help us to let more people know!!Thanks so much!!

About the problem that you told me.I am always keep it in my mind and still trying to suggest to fix it.Please don't worry.we will never look the success and stop to improve!!we are always try to make a perfect devices for you all.If you are interested in this good device.hope you can support us!!

ker

« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 08:36:38 am »
Kendy

Suggestions:

What's the point to disable keyboard when using the mouse? really, 2 headphone outputs? Why is a better option to have a gravity sensor on screen in a one piece device? I'm a bit confused

Deen0X

« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 08:54:05 am »
What's the point to disable keyboard when using the mouse? really, 2 headphone outputs? Why is a better option to have a gravity sensor on screen in a one piece device? I'm a bit confused

the keyboard switch is for enable/disable the keyboard. if you're playing with gamepad, most probably you want to disable the keyboard for avoiding accidental keystrokes (as example, pressing power button, esc, etc)
then a switch that simply enable or disable the keyboard will be so useful.
(is not the mouse switch)

2 phone outputs, yes. Is not uncommon, there are lot of devices with two outputs (JXD, Yinlips, etc)
the main goal is plug your headphone on the front , to avoiding accidental messing on the back.
now, i'm thinking that the back headphone is not necesary, because if you want to plug the device to get external audio (tv, etc), you will use the HDMI output instead a headphone output, then my suggestion become to move the headphone plug to the front.

and gravity sensor on the screen, is a must have in my opinion.
if you're playing with the deice on your hands and move it, depend on the horizontal level may the screen change their orientation, but for you is most natural that the screen itself have the right orientation.
this is a behavior that many users that paly on their GPD-XD experiment. Sometimes you're playing and the screen orientation changes, and many times you take the screen and move it trying to get the right orientation.
For this reason i consider that the orientation sensor must be on the screen part of the device.

ker

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2016, 09:04:20 am »

the keyboard switch is for enable/disable the keyboard. if you're playing with gamepad, most probably you want to disable the keyboard for avoiding accidental keystrokes (as example, pressing power button, esc, etc)
then a switch that simply enable or disable the keyboard will be so useful.
(is not the mouse switch)

2 phone outputs, yes. Is not uncommon, there are lot of devices with two outputs (JXD, Yinlips, etc)
the main goal is plug your headphone on the front , to avoiding accidental messing on the back.
now, i'm thinking that the back headphone is not necesary, because if you want to plug the device to get external audio (tv, etc), you will use the HDMI output instead a headphone output, then my suggestion become to move the headphone plug to the front.

and gravity sensor on the screen, is a must have in my opinion.
if you're playing with the deice on your hands and move it, depend on the horizontal level may the screen change their orientation, but for you is most natural that the screen itself have the right orientation.
this is a behavior that many users that paly on their GPD-XD experiment. Sometimes you're playing and the screen orientation changes, and many times you take the screen and move it trying to get the right orientation.
For this reason i consider that the orientation sensor must be on the screen part of the device.

I agree a front sound output is the best option (I really don't understand why some devices had a rear output...)

I don't understand how a gravity sensor is better placed in a screen. When you move your device, you move it as one piece.

About mouse mode, there's an image at Indiegogo:

ker

« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 09:05:34 am »
 :'( :'( :'( :'(

Pyra keyboard:

Deen0X

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 01:17:31 pm »
Kendy

We changed the planned USB type-A to USB type-C.And reasons blow:

1.Maximum data transfer rate can up to 10Gbit/s,that is the USB 3.1 standard.

2.The thin design for Type - C's end socket size,about 8.3 mmx2.5 mm.

3.The both side can insert.it can repeated thrust 10000 times.

4.The Type-C's standard specifications cables can by 3A current, also support the USB PD, can provide the maximum power of 100W.

Please please please KEEP THE USB Type A port! please!

is SO USEFUL for pluging devices such nano-pendrives that currently are so cheap, with very good data transfer, like this:

please, KEEP this port.

wermy

« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 01:34:19 pm »
Yeah, I don't understand why they didn't switch out the micro USB port for the USB type C, in stead of removing the Type A.  The Type A port was a big selling point for me.  :(
GPD Win Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/CZrVzKX

Deen0X

« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2016, 01:41:50 pm »
yeah, you're right. USB Type-A is a big selling point of the device.

@kendyzhu777

why don?t change the microUSB by USB Type-C and keep the USB Type-A?

Saber

« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2016, 01:48:04 pm »
^
Agree with what Deen0X says.

Yeah, I don't understand why they didn't switch out the micro USB port for the USB type C, in stead of removing the Type A.  The Type A port was a big selling point for me.  :(
I don't understand why they would replace the full-size Type A port. For a low-spec device, who cares if we have ultrafast Type C transfer speeds. Type A 3.0 is already super fast enough and there is widespread adoption of it in USB peripherals like portable hard drives and gamepads. Weird decision by GPD. ???

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:49:54 pm by Saber »

« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2016, 02:08:53 pm »
I think because it means they'll have to install another USB card, as they are mounted on top of the PCI Express ports. That will make production more expensive.

While I understand the discomfort, you can buy an adapter from USB Type C to USB A quite cheaply. Unless you have a receiver or an always-plugged-in flash drive, it shouldn't make things too uncomfortable. Remember, you have 64GB+SD card of memory to spare.

Also, still not buying it. The keyboard is a huge deal to me, and unless I can see some proof it won't be completely FUBAR I can't take the risk.

ohno

« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2016, 02:12:53 pm »
Please keep USB "TYPE A".

As others have mentioned, there is a huge number of USB items we would like to use (flash drives, usb converter cables, printers, external wireless adapters, etc etc) that use USB TYPE A .

While having TYPE C is great looking towards the future, please ask development to include both USB TYPE A and USB TYPE C. I do not want to carry a TYPE C to TYPE A adapter all the time.

Post a new topic