• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 1279281 times)

AVahne

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 04:28:15 pm »
Strange to see a campaign from an established manufacturer.
Anyway, $500? I'm sorry but now I've lost all interest. That's way too much considering the incredibly low specs and the expectations of a Chinese device. If you're trying to have people spend that much, especially with your horrid, hard-to-use keyboard layout, I honestly don't see how this will still any better than the failed UMPCs of old. If you're charging $500, then this device would need to have a good quality Wacom pen digitizer, high quality sticks and buttons, extremely high build quality and materials, backlit keyboard, etc. to make up for the weak specs.
Because even if you have a unique device, most people would rather just get a laptop or a tablet.

ohno

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 04:42:13 pm »
Well at least they employ fluent-ish English speaking shills.

Not quite. I've been creeping for a while, but figured since there's finally a campaign to pre-order with, I'd register and put in my two cents.

I'm actually been following the Pyra more for the 4G/phone capability, but with that being a much smaller shop, who knows when they'll actually ship.

Lax

• Host Anvil - Web Hosting
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 04:44:43 pm »
Well at least they employ fluent-ish English speaking shills.

Not quite. I've been creeping for a while, but figured since there's finally a campaign to pre-order with, I'd register and put in my two cents.

I'm actually been following the Pyra more for the 4G/phone capability, but with that being a much smaller shop, who knows when they'll actually ship.

Yeah I figured, don't you think the whole thing is a bit dodgy though?
Turn off your Android games console when you are finished with it!

wermy

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 04:58:45 pm »
Yeah I figured, don't you think the whole thing is a bit dodgy though?

What is dodgy?  It's not THAT weird for an established company to do a crowdfunding campaign for a new product.  The only thing that bugs me about it is the "flexible goal" part.  :\
GPD Win Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/CZrVzKX

kingporkcutlet

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 05:07:55 pm »
ah~...not dual band WIFI....it's very disappointed....so I'll give up GPD WIN...

wermy

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 05:37:35 pm »
ah~...not dual band WIFI....it's very disappointed....so I'll give up GPD WIN...

I realize it's not ideal but couldn't you just plug in a tiny USB dongle?  There's a nice looking one that barely sticks out on Amazon, does dual-band 802.11 AC, $15.

LordDavon

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 05:44:52 pm »
We made a campaign on INDIEGOGO for GPD WIN.Hope you can support us and keep it going!!Thanks so much!!

Hi Kendy.  I would love to support your campaign.  Unfortunately, due to the L3/R3 placement on the device, buttons that I need for running in many of my Steam games,  I am going to have to pass on the device.  Since I would have to use an additional controller for your device anyway, I couldn't use it as a pocket-able gaming device.  The Teclast X98 Pro (4GB + Dual Boot) and Xiaomi MiPad 2 (2GB + Win10 Only) both use the Z8500 CPU, are $50 less in price, and adding a keyboard case is a pretty simple affair.  While not as small, the Xiaomi isn't much larger with case.  If the placement of these keys is reconsidered, to a place where I can use both sticks while holding the buttons, I am happy to support your campaign.

ohno

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 06:17:59 pm »
299 shipped is where I'm comfortable pulling the trigger.

There's no way it will actually be 500 on release, I'm sure that markup is just so you feel value pre-ordering at 299. The same happened with the GPD XD (wasn't it 250 retail, preorder 180, and can be picked up now for 180 or so?)

Even on the baidu forums, users were commenting between 1200 - 2000 yuan ($180-300 for higher specs) for suggested prices they'd pay. I think many are discouraged by the 299 price tag, but it is a first-gen niche device - it's not competing against the tablet market, that's not the point.

Can you imagine if they actually get momentum with this thing, and major manufacturers like HP or Asus start looking back into the UMPC space?

Although I'm not a fan of the flexible goal campaign type, I think they'll hit their goal - especially if they put up some video of working prototypes. At minimum, they'll garner more publicity from other tech crowds who were previously unaware pocket pc's may be coming back into the picture.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:41:45 pm by ohno »

wermy

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 07:06:10 pm »
Although I'm not a fan of the flexible goal campaign type, I think they'll hit their goal - especially if they put up some video of working prototypes. At minimum, they'll garner more publicity from other tech crowds who were previously unaware pocket pc's may be coming back into the picture.

Eehhhh, I really wish I could be as optimistic.  They've gotten 13 pre-orders in the first 18 hours or so, and they need, what, 300+ to hit their goal?  I don't think they'll make it, honestly.  Which is why I'm so nervous about the flexible goal :(

I suppose we could have some smaller distributers come in and buy a few of the 5x and 10x perks, though.  That would help a lot.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:11:10 pm by wermy »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 09:06:03 pm »
To be fair they had mentioned doing a crowd funding on the Baidu forum for some time now.   I do't know the reason, it's hard to decipher Google chinese to English translations.  But yeah, there's that.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 09:07:43 pm »
Well, before I went to bed last night(I'm in Australia) I emailed Liliputing and managed to get them to write an article on the GPD WIN Indiegogo.   I also wrote into obscurehandhelds.com and got them to put up a story on it also

The Liliputing story on the GPD WIN Indiegogo is here, seems a lot of people commented

http://liliputing.com/2016/02/gpd-win-is-a-handheld-windows-gaming-pc-for-299-crowdfunding.html

The Obscurehandhelds.com story is here:

http://obscurehandhelds.com/2016/02/gpd-are-back-with-something-a-little-different/

Looks like Deenox got it onto Cnx-software

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/02/25/gpd-win-windows-10-portable-gaming-console-launched-on-indiegogo-for-299/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:46:28 pm by vcoleiro1 »

monstercameron

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 11:05:31 pm »
the page and ads look very slick, gj kendy.

My only issue, where is my amd apu at?

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 05:52:36 am »
Kendy, what happens if you don't meet your goal?  Will the GPD Win be cancelled?  I am worried that if I back the project, and your goal isn't met, I will have lost $300 with nothing to show for it.  The IndieGogo campaign is set up with a "flexible goal" meaning you get our money even if you don't meet the goal.  Anyway, as long as the GPD Win will still get made at some point even if you don't meet the goal, I will happily pledge.

Also I agree with vcoleiro1 about the title.  Calling it a laptop will not grab many people's attention.  Calling it something like a Windows-based gaming handheld would probably be more effective.

Good luck!

Please don't worry.No matter the found raise is succeed or not.we will be surely complete this perfect device!!!Of cause,we all hope you can help us to make this campaign success.So we will have more confidence for GPD WIN!!!Any concerns,just be free to let me know!!With many thanks again!!!

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2016, 05:54:35 am »
Kendy, what happens if you don't meet your goal?  Will the GPD Win be cancelled?  I am worried that if I back the project, and your goal isn't met, I will have lost $300 with nothing to show for it.  The IndieGogo campaign is set up with a "flexible goal" meaning you get our money even if you don't meet the goal.  Anyway, as long as the GPD Win will still get made at some point even if you don't meet the goal, I will happily pledge.

Also I agree with vcoleiro1 about the title.  Calling it a laptop will not grab many people's attention.  Calling it something like a Windows-based gaming handheld would probably be more effective.

Good luck!

This is absolutely my concern.
If the goal is not met, do we get a refund?
Will you produce the unit anyway even if the goal is not met?

Hello,This is kendy. Please do not worry about it.Please don't worry.No matter the found raise is succeed or not.we will be surely complete this perfect device!!!Of cause,we all hope you can help us to make this campaign success.So we will have more confidence for GPD WIN!!!Any concerns,just be free to let me know.With many thanks again!!!

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2016, 05:56:11 am »
There's no mention of native x-input support. It's kind of useless for me if it doesn't have it.

Yes,X-input is supported!!

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 06:10:14 am »
We made a campaign on INDIEGOGO for GPD WIN.Hope you can support us and keep it going!!Thanks so much!!

Hi Kendy.  I would love to support your campaign.  Unfortunately, due to the L3/R3 placement on the device, buttons that I need for running in many of my Steam games,  I am going to have to pass on the device.  Since I would have to use an additional controller for your device anyway, I couldn't use it as a pocket-able gaming device.  The Teclast X98 Pro (4GB + Dual Boot) and Xiaomi MiPad 2 (2GB + Win10 Only) both use the Z8500 CPU, are $50 less in price, and adding a keyboard case is a pretty simple affair.  While not as small, the Xiaomi isn't much larger with case.  If the placement of these keys is reconsidered, to a place where I can use both sticks while holding the buttons, I am happy to support your campaign.

Hello,I know there is many member do not satisfactory with the keyboard layout.I will try my best to suggest to fix it.But i am not sure.Cause this is decide by our production team and maybe they have their own concerns.Hope you all could understand.

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 06:18:03 am »
299 shipped is where I'm comfortable pulling the trigger.

There's no way it will actually be 500 on release, I'm sure that markup is just so you feel value pre-ordering at 299. The same happened with the GPD XD (wasn't it 250 retail, preorder 180, and can be picked up now for 180 or so?)

Even on the baidu forums, users were commenting between 1200 - 2000 yuan ($180-300 for higher specs) for suggested prices they'd pay. I think many are discouraged by the 299 price tag, but it is a first-gen niche device - it's not competing against the tablet market, that's not the point.

Can you imagine if they actually get momentum with this thing, and major manufacturers like HP or Asus start looking back into the UMPC space?

Please do not worry. We are a company is specialized in the design and manufacture of video games consoles.And we all have a dream to make a portable handheld PC/Gaming consoles based on Windows system.So we make GPD WIN.No matter the found raise is succeed or not.we will be surely complete this perfect device!!!Of cause,we all hope you can help us to make this campaign success.So we will have more confidence for GPD WIN!Any concerns,just be free to let me know.

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 06:21:11 am »
Well, before I went to bed last night(I'm in Australia) I emailed Liliputing and managed to get them to write an article on the GPD WIN Indiegogo.   I also wrote into obscurehandhelds.com and got them to put up a story on it also

The Liliputing story on the GPD WIN Indiegogo is here, seems a lot of people commented

http://liliputing.com/2016/02/gpd-win-is-a-handheld-windows-gaming-pc-for-299-crowdfunding.html

The Obscurehandhelds.com story is here:

http://obscurehandhelds.com/2016/02/gpd-are-back-with-something-a-little-different/

Looks like Deenox got it onto Cnx-software

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/02/25/gpd-win-windows-10-portable-gaming-console-launched-on-indiegogo-for-299/

Thanks so much for sharing this news on other platform.It could help us to let more people know this news!!Really appreciated!!!

XenapZ

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 06:59:44 am »
Hello,I know there is many member do not satisfactory with the keyboard layout.I will try my best to suggest to fix it.But i am not sure.Cause this is decide by our production team and maybe they have their own concerns.Hope you all could understand.
I really hope you can get them to reconsider, I would buy it if the keyboard made any sense. There is just nu reason to have a physical keyboard if you cant use both hands.

Deen0X

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 08:30:38 am »
Kendy
can you answer the following points? (may be so useful if you post on indiegogo page)

- The device will have a switch/button for switch between DInput and XInput modes?
- When you're on Mouse mode, the rest of gamepad will be disabled?
- There will be a switch for enable/disable the keyboard? this is very important in my opinion, because disabling the keyboard you can avoid accidental pressings on the keyboard when playing

Suggestions:
- When the device is in Mouse mode, maybe the left stick act as the wheel (up and down), and R2 may be the center button.

- Will be so useful for gaming experience, if the wifi is 5ghz (dual channel). a portable device like this become ideal for streaming experience, and dual-channel is the best way to get this. with dual-channel you can play at 1080p/60fps without problems.
Yes, the screen is 720p, but if you play with the device plugged to a TV, you can get 1080p via HDMI

- Maybe useful if the device have a switch/button (hardware or software) for disable the built in gamepad.
Situation: if i want to play with the device plugged to TV (as desktop gaming console/PC), and connect a bluetooth gamepad, most probably the first gamepad recognized on the system is the built in gampead. This will cause some problems on many games, because they don?t have a way to select which gamepad you want to use for playing, and use directly the first one that is connected to the system
For this reason, i think is a good implementation some sort of button (maybe via software) for easy "enable/disable" (or plug and unplug) the builtin gamepad, for allow other gamepads become the first recognized by the system.

- Suggestion based on GPD-XD device. May be the gravity sensor can be located on the screen section of the device?
many times you are playing on GPD-XD, and screen orientation changes because the base of the device is not aligned with the user, but the most natural is thinking that the screen is the pain part that control this behavior.

- May be the device come with two (duplicated) headphones outputs?
Plugging a wired headphone on the current GPD-XD sometimes is a problem, because as my experience, if you're playing on bus/subway/train and there are so much people near, is so easy to the connector get messed by people and, potentially, break the piece.
if GPD-Win come with a second headphone plug located on the front of the device, will be more secure for avoiding this kind of situations, because users can plug their headphones in front and take care of the connector with easy.

Post a new topic