Well this is the layout I would recommend, and below it are the reasons why I believe the current GPD layout should be changed . Some of the issues with the current GPD layout are critical IMO.http://i.imgur.com/cksq8aA.jpg
The current GPD keyboard layout as seen here (http://i.imgur.com/NzZuOgq.jpg
) has a few issues that the layout above fixes. These issues include:
1) Because of the right column of keys (power, select, start, volume etc) the keyboard has been shifted to the left, in fact the only letter keys on the right side of the device are the K, L, O, and P keys . As most people are right handed , this is an issue as it means people will be typing left handed . The proposed keyboard layout moves the right column of keys between the sticks and expands the main keyboard so that it is centered. You can see the left indentation on GPDs current Keyboard layout and the issues I mention here: http://i.imgur.com/V8kid2C.jpg
2) L3 and R3 are in unworkabe postions , the whole forum is in agreeance on this issue. In the proposed layout above, L3 and R3 have been moved near the joysticks .
3) The keys in the current layout are small , especially for westerners, I have a keyboard with similar sized keys and it takes practice to use without hitting 2 keys at once. By expanding the main keyboard as in my proposal, the keys can now be made 8.6mm x 7.5mm in size . This will greatly help reduce double key presses.
4) Keys that are missing in the current GPD keyboard layout , have been added in the above proposed keyboard layout. Pg Up, Pg Down, Home and End have been added as function keys on the arrow keys. Numpad keys have been added as secondary numpad labels on some main keyboard keys, they are shown in yellow. To support the numpad key labels , a NumLock key has been added near the space bar.
5) Have a look at F1 to F7, how would you press those buttons while holding the Fn key with your left thumb?
To fix this issue , I have made the Fn key a Fn Lock key instead. This will also help with games that use game controls , and only the function keys on the keyboard ie it will save you having to hit the Fn key every time - you would just enable the Fn Lock instead.
6) Keyboard and Mouse Mode enable/disable keys have been added in the center.
7) LED lights shown as blue dots on the sides have been added in the proposed keyboard layout . These LEDs indicate: Power On, Caps on, NumLock On, Mouse Mode On, Keyboard enabled, Fn Lock On
Finally, guys, remember any change to the keyboard layout that moves the keys even a millimeter will require the whole keyboard PCB layout to need revising. So there is absolutely no point what so ever pussy footing around with layouts that give you some of what you want, on the belief that you are minimising changes, you're not. It also sends a confused message to GPD. If you want L3/R3 near the sticks, then say so, and leave it that.