Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 785097 times)

vcoleiro1

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #870 on: June 07, 2016, 03:38:32 am »
Here's some more pics of the GPD WIN prototype:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 03:50:56 am by vcoleiro1 »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #871 on: June 07, 2016, 11:13:41 am »
First video of the GPD WIN Prototype:

#Invalid YouTube Link#
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:17:47 am by vcoleiro1 »

skelton

« Reply #872 on: June 07, 2016, 11:28:20 am »
The position of the analogs seem as uncomfortable as the Pandora. Is it me or Asphalt runs like crap under Windows? In my GPdX_d runs better..... :S
Retired

Deen0X

« Reply #873 on: June 07, 2016, 11:31:48 am »
most probably they're running at 720p, that is  heavy for the GPU.
my recommendation is running games at 800x600 or even lower resolutions, for gain in performance.

skelton

« Reply #874 on: June 07, 2016, 11:40:16 am »
most probably they're running at 720p, that is  heavy for the GPU.
my recommendation is running games at 800x600 or even lower resolutions, for gain in performance.

i can understand that in big games, but Asphalt.... runs great ay 720p even in the X_d.....
Retired

« Reply #875 on: June 07, 2016, 04:21:13 pm »
I've heard the Windows port of Asphalt is pretty terrible, so it's not a very good benchmark. You'll get frame-capped because of game engine limitations and the the hardware.

No new info, though. I'd like them to run and publish some endurance tests, so we can know if and when it thermal throttles, operating temperature, etc.

eragon2890

• e
« Reply #876 on: June 07, 2016, 04:57:00 pm »
I've heard the Windows port of Asphalt is pretty terrible, so it's not a very good benchmark. You'll get frame-capped because of game engine limitations and the the hardware.

No new info, though. I'd like them to run and publish some endurance tests, so we can know if and when it thermal throttles, operating temperature, etc.

Well, yes, but the android version is capped at 30 fps tough. but on my XD and my Q9, it reaches 30 fps, on highest graphic settings (using glroot), and never gets below it, not even in 8 player multiplayer matches in the most beautifull races. Never.

This looks like less then 10 fps... something like... 5? maybe?

Now the GPU in the win IS significantly slower then the mali-t764, so it would be understandable if it ran at 20-30 fps , but this is just shit.

Two possible explanations I can think of are, maybe they haven't implemented cooling solution yet so it throttles like hell? or maybe their driver stack is not sorted out yet.

If this is the performance on the final product (I hope not) then it belongs in the garbage bin.

« Reply #877 on: June 07, 2016, 05:07:28 pm »
While driver conflicts and thermal issues are possible and very likely explanations, the fact is that Asphalt is a terrible benchmark.

Let's say you want to add 2 numbers. You create a program that does that, and it takes 1 flop. That's the best case scenario and a perfect benchmark.
Now, let's say your friend programmed a worse program, and every operation he does takes 10 flops. Not very good, but it can be worse. That too can be used as a benchmark.
The Gameloft ports are the equivalent of taking, as a base, 10 flops for every simple operation, plus 10^(number of pixels on the screen) flops.

Since it does that, lower end devices can't handle it, even though they should. Even higher end devices will struggle with it, even though they'll be better than them. It's just an unfair comparison.

Phawx

« Reply #878 on: June 07, 2016, 06:42:18 pm »
Haven't visited the boards in awhile.  Just saw the news that they won't be using the 8550?  Man...

Also about the video, they should probably download some free benchmarks.  Street Fighter 4 has a free tool as does RE5/6.

Also has anyone been confirmed to get an early version?

eragon2890

• e
« Reply #879 on: June 07, 2016, 09:54:16 pm »
While driver conflicts and thermal issues are possible and very likely explanations, the fact is that Asphalt is a terrible benchmark.

Let's say you want to add 2 numbers. You create a program that does that, and it takes 1 flop. That's the best case scenario and a perfect benchmark.
Now, let's say your friend programmed a worse program, and every operation he does takes 10 flops. Not very good, but it can be worse. That too can be used as a benchmark.
The Gameloft ports are the equivalent of taking, as a base, 10 flops for every simple operation, plus 10^(number of pixels on the screen) flops.

Since it does that, lower end devices can't handle it, even though they should. Even higher end devices will struggle with it, even though they'll be better than them. It's just an unfair comparison.

Very true XD I didn't know it was that terrible, I just assumed it was a bit worse then the (great) android version and anything that doesn't run it sucks. Not true then. XD

But trust me, you haven't seen needlessly ineffecient, hastelessly thrown together, ugly, hecked-together-without-real-advance-planning-on-paper code untill you have seeen the code I hand in for university courses... >_< XD

Anyway, we shall see when it comes out, if it costs ~300 dollars with free shipping and runs wii games and such I will buy one. My XD will probably be kaput from wear and tear by then anyway, it's already outlived my vita, first gaming tablet, and two of my laptops put together in terms of how much use I got out of them but it can't go on forever XD

shdowhunt60

« Reply #880 on: June 07, 2016, 10:39:42 pm »
I wouldn't hold your breath on Wii games, I've seen x5-8500 devices run Dolphin before, it's just not powerful enough. Even the i5-6300HQ in my laptop fails to hold full speed in some games like Metroid Prime 3.

There is some hope though that Atom class devices will be able to reasonably play Dolphin though:
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/93485-intel-apollo-lake-socs-provide-30pc-perf-boost-braswell/

Intel is claiming that Apollo Lake SOC's will have a %30 performance boost. Maybe in a couple years we'll see a GPD WIN 2 that can play Wii games reasonably well.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #881 on: June 07, 2016, 11:34:52 pm »
Hmmmm,   if GPD can't get supply of the Z8550, then how are these tablets going to get the Z8550. They were just reported on a few days ago.

http://www.vendingmarketwatch.com/news/12216484/worlds-first-rugged-tablet-with-3d-camera-coming-to-mobiledemand-product-line

http://www.slashgear.com/panasonic-toughpad-fz-b2-gets-a-substantial-refresh-01442330/

eragon2890

• e
« Reply #882 on: June 08, 2016, 12:00:08 am »
I wouldn't hold your breath on Wii games, I've seen x5-8500 devices run Dolphin before, it's just not powerful enough. Even the i5-6300HQ in my laptop fails to hold full speed in some games like Metroid Prime 3.

There is some hope though that Atom class devices will be able to reasonably play Dolphin though:
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/93485-intel-apollo-lake-socs-provide-30pc-perf-boost-braswell/

Intel is claiming that Apollo Lake SOC's will have a %30 performance boost. Maybe in a couple years we'll see a GPD WIN 2 that can play Wii games reasonably well.

I shared it before, but here it is again XD dolphin running fullspeed wii and gamecube on a tablet with the exact same chipset... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOTSc1YaJA

The new dx12 backend does wonders!

shdowhunt60

« Reply #883 on: June 08, 2016, 12:44:13 am »

I shared it before, but here it is again XD dolphin running fullspeed wii and gamecube on a tablet with the exact same chipset... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOTSc1YaJA

The new dx12 backend does wonders!

That's barely holding fullspeed on what's some pretty lightweight games. If it can do Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, I'll be impressed.

shinkamui

« Reply #884 on: June 08, 2016, 03:25:51 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOTSc1YaJA

If thats running like crap, Ill take crap any day over not being able to run it at all.  Thats stupidly playable.  Besides, as a replacement for the XD, it will kill it in the emulation department, with the bonus of running some other titles.  If the only value of the platform for you (and others) is simply only to play games, the next gen xd2 might be a better buy.  I'd reserve performance judgement against the xd for the android rom demonstration.  We haven't really seen anything yet, and thermal throttling is a very real and worrying issue.  Having said all that, the option to run some (if any) wii or ps2 games on this thing at full speed is simply a big plus.  All the XD upgraders should be more than happy with the performance boost of the x8500 over the rancid rk3288 in a like like scenario (especially if the android OS ends up as marshmallow or an upgrade to N).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:30:51 am by shinkamui »

Post a new topic