Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 1040523 times)

shinkamui

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #800 on: May 28, 2016, 03:03:14 am »
As it stands now, there will be a USB Type C 3.0 port and a USB Type A 3.0 port.  That's from the last update and what they have said on Baidu yesterday

Just reread the thread with the data, and missed the end where kendy specified A+C usb 3.0.  I had only read the upper portion where type C was removed due to it being pointless to run on usb 2.0.  This is indeed great news.  If the device is all usb 3.0, its really scaling out to be a handheld console to be reckoned with.  To be fair, i didn't give a rats ass about the usb type A port initially, as i have at least 12 micro host cables, and 3 usb 3.0 capable jump drives with dual micro/regular male ends, but its starting to grow on me.  Not sure I would prefer to use a nano usb jump for storage over a fast microsdhc 64 or 128 (i have a ton of these laying around), but more options is always better.  Would certainly make booting linux or android a lot easier, especially if someone decided to try some random crap like remixOS or a favorite retro arcade linux distribution ;).  When's the release date again?  October?

vcoleiro1

« Reply #801 on: May 28, 2016, 03:44:16 am »
I only have two  concerns with the WIN. 

1)  Cooling.  That aluminium plate doesn;t seem to be any larger really than the aluminium plate used in the x98 Pro , which seems to have an issue thermal throttling with the Z8500.  I know they were talking about playing around with liquid cooling / heat pipe (like used in the Galaxy S7).  I hope they sorted something out.   

2)  That left justified keyboard. I made an image a while back to show how it would be bad for typing on as it pretty much means you will type almost solely with your left thumb, or stretching heavily with your right thumb to type evenly with both thumbs.   Seeing the reality brings home everything I said.   In reality it looks worse.    The saddest thing here, is that it was a simple fix.  All they had to do was move BOTH right columns to the left side. ie so there is two columns of keys to the left of the keyboard and none on the right.  That would have centered the keyboard perfectly.  Anyway, it will be good to see what it's like to use. Who knows, maybe it's actually ok.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:50:15 am by vcoleiro1 »

eragon2890

« Reply #802 on: May 28, 2016, 11:28:22 am »
I spot duck tape in the picture!

... if your prototype doesn't work: add more duct tape~! XD

iStix

« Reply #803 on: May 28, 2016, 01:20:42 pm »
I spotted they will use some kind of scaling on the desktop.

So they are at least trying to make it comfortable on the relatively small screen for windows 10..

Also I don't get why people are still complaining about the keyboard. It isn't the primary input for a device like this only for maybe browsing and one liners in chat...
I also think its not the best. But after months of complaining and nothing changes then don't complain anymore...

Its really great to hear the usb problem is sorted!
I cant wait for this device to reach the reviewers to test them for heat dissipation and stuf.

dkabot

« Reply #804 on: May 28, 2016, 03:18:08 pm »

So they are at least trying to make it comfortable on the relatively small screen for windows 10..

Also I don't get why people are still complaining about the keyboard. It isn't the primary input for a device like this only for maybe browsing and one liners in chat...
I also think its not the best. But after months of complaining and nothing changes then don't complain anymore...

I cant wait for this device to reach the reviewers to test them for heat dissipation and stuf.

Windows 8/10 have built-in UI scaling for hi-DPI displays.
The problem is a good chunk of applications don't cooperate well with it (last I checked), and it needs a logout to fully apply the change.
I can't imagine many people willing to log out/in just to switch from main UI to a game.

CampGareth

« Reply #805 on: May 28, 2016, 04:05:06 pm »

Windows 8/10 have built-in UI scaling for hi-DPI displays.
The problem is a good chunk of applications don't cooperate well with it (last I checked), and it needs a logout to fully apply the change.
I can't imagine many people willing to log out/in just to switch from main UI to a game.

The scaling doesn't apply in game since most games handle that internally (and it's why some games have UI size sliders in the options menu)

dkabot

« Reply #806 on: May 28, 2016, 05:10:58 pm »
The scaling doesn't apply in game since most games handle that internally (and it's why some games have UI size sliders in the options menu)

I wasn't intending to state that it does, rather that games can fall into the category of "doesn't cooperate with the scaling".
Offhand, Final Fantasy XIV falls into this category, as the launcher buttons appear to be unusable if scaling is enabled.

Sousaptak

« Reply #807 on: May 29, 2016, 12:56:39 pm »
#offtopic

http://ark.intel.com/compare/93360,92124,93362 a line up for future GPD win road map.

Gflops result...

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:30:58 pm by Sousaptak »

CampGareth

« Reply #808 on: May 30, 2016, 11:24:37 pm »
Just to clarify this USB C port for charging doesn't have all the alternate modes, it's only got power delivery?

I've been trying to figure out whether it's possible to hook the Win up to an entire desk's worth of kit (monitors, ethernet, usb peripherals, audio) so what modes that port supports matters quite a bit. I've been unable to figure out whether any of the hubs out there use an internal USB to HDMI chip of the sort included with USB 2.0 display adapters or whether they all use the displayport alternate mode. The few instances of a device not supporting alternate modes I've found have been in mobile phones like the Nexus 6P.

shinkamui

« Reply #809 on: May 31, 2016, 03:16:39 am »
By all means, you should continue to investigate and if the answer pops up, highlight it.  Cherry trail isn't a desktop replacement SoC.  You might be gravely dissapointed if you think the gpd win is going to drive a ton of additional hardware and still be functional in any way masquerading as this new platform.  People are certainly interested in getting the most functionality they can out of this thing for the price but keep a realistic use case in mind. 

vcoleiro1

« Reply #810 on: May 31, 2016, 05:03:06 am »
Japanese Crowd Funding Campaign for the GPD WIN has just started.

Check it here: https://www.makuake.com/project/gpd-win/

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #811 on: May 31, 2016, 08:40:23 am »
GPD WIN Japanese crowdfunding campaign go live today.
By the agent of  Japan MIDORIYA ELECTRIC CO.,LTD.(緑屋電気株式会社)
Please click into the link blow for detail information: https://www.makuake.com/project/gpd-win/

LordDavon

« Reply #813 on: May 31, 2016, 03:55:06 pm »
@kendyzhu777
what mean this announce?

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html

Delivery time: 2016-07-01

lol... $330.  We called that one!  Watch them release a $50 off coupon code so people get it for less than the backers!

eragon2890

« Reply #814 on: May 31, 2016, 04:04:00 pm »
@kendyzhu777
what mean this announce?

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html

Delivery time: 2016-07-01

lol... $330.  We called that one!  Watch them release a $50 off coupon code so people get it for less than the backers!

well to be honest, if you buy it at this point, you are a semi-back as far as I am concerned, as it clearly says presale, and the device still has to be mass-manufactured. So I don?t really see the problem. I got my GPD XD in preorder last year for 127 euros, if I want to buy a new one sometime in the future, I pay at least 150, a 20% increase in price. Presales/preorders are cheaper.

Given that the only perk in the indiegogo was getting a device, I don?t see the difference between that and this presale. :)

« Reply #815 on: May 31, 2016, 04:20:38 pm »
It's an issue because GPD doesn't set an MSRP, and it uses every opportunity it has to bait more people into preordering by lowering the price and exclaiming it's "the last chance to get it cheap!". It's just a poor and sleazy business tactic - the same complaint I had about the Indiegogo campaign which was, in fact, just a very cheap preorder page feigning a proper backing campaign.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I'm not getting the device until I get some reviews, or possibly never - and for those who've backed preordered it it's too late.

LordDavon

« Reply #816 on: May 31, 2016, 04:41:16 pm »
well to be honest, if you buy it at this point, you are a semi-back as far as I am concerned, as it clearly says presale, and the device still has to be mass-manufactured. So I don?t really see the problem. I got my GPD XD in preorder last year for 127 euros, if I want to buy a new one sometime in the future, I pay at least 150, a 20% increase in price. Presales/preorders are cheaper.

Given that the only perk in the indiegogo was getting a device, I don?t see the difference between that and this presale. :)

GPD does set the MSRP.  MSRP is Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price. GPD is the manufacturer. The difference is that when we backed GPD, the money went to GPD.  When you preorder, you are only giving the money to Geekbuying.  I doubt they have preordered anything from GPD, and chances are, GPD will only see the money around the time the device ships.  If they get the device for less than the backers, especially after @kendyzhu777 promised us that it would retail for much higher than the backer price, I will never believe GPD again.

We backed GPD.  I don't know anyone who is "backing" Geekbuying.

« Reply #817 on: May 31, 2016, 08:33:37 pm »
Don't fool yourself, they aren't setting an MSRP (note: not "the" MSRP) because they are constantly changing the targeted value of the device.
GPD Win backer price: $300.
GPD Win MSRP on Indiegogo: $500.
GPD Win Japanese backer price: $280.
GPD Win on Geekbuying: $330 with a guaranteed "discount" of $50.

So, yeah. They are constantly changing the targeted price and not setting an MSRP, at least not one that's visible for consumers.

Also, "backing" GPD is a backwards concept seeing as GPD is a large company, and not a small team. Do not fool yourself, you've preordered an overpriced device you from the manufacturer via a crowdfunding site.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I've said most of it from the start. Seeing people vehemently defend bad business practices because of a cool product (which I admit, for all of its possible flaws - it is cool and enticing) just makes me sad, and if I can change it by making people more critical I will.

skelton

« Reply #818 on: May 31, 2016, 09:49:27 pm »
Gpd is a not a big company,in fact they were just a divisi?n of jxd before they stablished by themseleves. I agree to you with the pricing though. I personally will never back any device v?a indiegogo, kickstarter or wahatwver after the terrible experiencia with gcw zero.
Retired

CampGareth

« Reply #819 on: May 31, 2016, 09:57:28 pm »
I wonder what the actual availability date is going to be. First July according to geekbuying (incidentally $280 sounds like a decent price, similar to a low end laptop but obviously this has portability), October according to indiegogo, Spring 2017 according to makuake. I'm going to wait for availability before ordering from anywhere, july wouldn't be too bad but spring next year would suck, 6-9 months if you've already paid your money is a looong time to wait.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic