Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 785099 times)

Deen0X

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #615 on: April 21, 2016, 03:29:43 pm »
you can configure your desktop pc to 800x600, and do a streaming to your phone.
with this, you will get a near vision about how windows 10 will run on this device.

for me, is ok (but always in lower resolutions, for better text reading)

« Reply #616 on: April 21, 2016, 06:20:18 pm »
I'm currently using Windows 10 on a 14'' screen, and its UI is unusable at 100% scaling at 1080p. You have to set it at at least 125% or so you can just use it.

On the GPD Win, if running at 720p, you'll have to use 200% scaling - which is the maximum on stock Windows 10.
That being said, 720p+200% scaling really distorts windowed software - such as scrolling on certain sites, so you need other software solutions (such as another GUI, or an overlay).

buf129

« Reply #617 on: April 22, 2016, 04:16:20 am »
could it be possible to run black ops or even black ops 2 wich i doubt it would

fvig2001

« Reply #618 on: April 22, 2016, 07:04:31 am »
I am starting to worry if this will have throttling issues too since there's no fan and they hope that the speakers can blow away the heat.

Deen0X

« Reply #619 on: April 22, 2016, 10:45:39 am »
GPD-Win, Indiegogo's campaign will finish in some days

Since GPD aunch their campaign on Indiegogo, the project receie so many improvements from original conect (but not all changes that most users want, such  re-design of keyboard nad gamepad layout)

In any case, there are still some days before their GPD-Win Indiegogo's campaignrun, and this is the summary of updates:

• Updated SoC to Cherrytrail Z8550

• Bluetooth module updated to 4.1
  • Wifi module updated from 2.4GHz (single channel) to 5GHz (dual channel)
  • Added X360 Guide Button to the layout.

• Re-located some keys such PgUp, PgDn, Home, End

• Mode Switch updated. There are 3 modes: DInput, Mouse, XInput

• The device come with USB 3.0 Type-A (Full Size) port, and MicroUSB 2.0 port.

• Added a big aluminium heatsink between the SoC and the keyboard, for heat dissipation.

• There is a speaker system that will help to heat dissipation by vibrations.
GPD is looking for few reivewers to send sample devices for talking about this. For more info, check the campaign page for requisites, to become a reviewer candidate.

About the size, comparing with GPD-XD is very similar, then Nintendo 3DSXL cases will be suitable to protect and carry this device too.

There are some new images from the prototype (Courtesy of GPD).

Front comparisson

Side

Comparing with GPD-XD

Mode Switcher

Buttons L1 and R1 detail. Now these buttons are more ergonomics.

Upper and Lower views

Rest only some days until the Indiegogo's campaign end. After this, you must wait until end of this year (October-Novemter) for buy the device (and considering the final price out of indiegogo's campaign)

Hurry up if you want to ensure to get one for this Christams season! :D

Source: Here

Zalu2!

dkabot

« Reply #620 on: April 22, 2016, 04:45:01 pm »
Well then, I've stayed out of the loop for a few days, but I see that at least some suggestions (though only by one party?) have actually been taken to!

Now, though, that we know the details of the cooling... will that actually be enough?
Anyone here happen to have a good idea how that'd go?

chip

« Reply #621 on: April 22, 2016, 05:22:08 pm »
It's impossible to say until they have a functioning prototype.  What they've done is probably all they can do given the layout constraints, but there will almost certainly be throttling issues when running demanding applications for extended periods.

The heat spreader will delay the onset of throttling, but once it gets hot, there's nowhere for the heat to go.  Their "speakers will move the air" line is pure bullshit.  Even if they weren't using sealed reflex chambers (which it looks like they are), speakers don't create airflow.  It's a little insulting that they expect anybody to buy that line.

brushpicks11

« Reply #622 on: April 22, 2016, 08:21:13 pm »
I know with my laptop in order to get good performance out of games it needs to be plugged in which really limits this device plus when it's plugged in it gets much hotter than if it wasn't. I am starting to worry about whether this device will really run the games that these similar tablets run on YouTube

Saber

« Reply #623 on: April 22, 2016, 11:01:52 pm »
It's impossible to say until they have a functioning prototype.  What they've done is probably all they can do given the layout constraints, but there will almost certainly be throttling issues when running demanding applications for extended periods.

The heat spreader will delay the onset of throttling, but once it gets hot, there's nowhere for the heat to go.  Their "speakers will move the air" line is pure bullshit.  Even if they weren't using sealed reflex chambers (which it looks like they are), speakers don't create airflow.  It's a little insulting that they expect anybody to buy that line.
Besides increasing the height and adding a fan is there anything else they could have or should have done here?

« Reply #624 on: April 22, 2016, 11:42:41 pm »
Seeing as the major heat-producing components are the SOC and the battery, they could've separated them so one could be on the screen side and the other on the controller side.

Putting more vents on the bottom of the device, plus using loose keyboard keys so they'd help create airflow.

A dock with a fan could've been nice.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #625 on: April 23, 2016, 12:22:34 am »
Well it looks like the aluminum plate sits on the SOC via some thermal pad, its connected to the back of the keyboard PCB which they have coated in copper.   There seems to be a number of holes in the PCB also.   As heat rises, the heat therefor should rise from the aluminum & Copper heat sinks through the keyboard PCB and its holes and out through the keyboard cutout.

The speakers helping with heat dissipation, well, maybe a little when they are on.   Plus there is all the holes they added.   There are the ports at the back, the holes they added on the sides, the holes for the speakers at the front and the keyboard cutout

The thing with a bigger heat sink, is that the larger the area , the greater rate of heat it can dissipate into the air.   As long as there is some air flow, there is a chance this might be ok. The point here is that a larger heat sink doesn't necessarily heat up eventually, a larger heat sink has a greater surface area and can dissipate heat quicker. So at some size point , a heat sink can dissipate more heat than it absorbs from the SOC thus never really getting as hot as a small heat sink which cannot dissipate heat fast enough. ie there's a threshold here - of course this depends on air flow to move heat away as well - but to say a large heat sink will get as hot as a small one over time , is simply not correct..

As for the heat dissipation setup in the WIN, it will come down to live tests in the end of course.

Also, come on guys, GPD have listened to a number of us, not just one person. If that were the case, the WIN wouldn't have a keyboard at all  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:52:00 am by vcoleiro1 »

chip

« Reply #626 on: April 23, 2016, 03:07:00 am »
I am starting to worry about whether this device will really run the games that these similar tablets run on YouTube

Tablets - especially cheap chinese tablets - don't always have ideal thermal layouts either.  I don't expect the heat situation or related performance hit to be much worse, if at all.

Besides increasing the height and adding a fan is there anything else they could have or should have done here?
they could've separated them so one could be on the screen side and the other on the controller side.

That's about the only feasible improvement, heat-wise.  Had they stuck the processor/RAM/eMMC on a board behind the display and used an aluminum top cover directly in contact with the SoC, I doubt the chip would ever get hot enough to throttle.  You would have roughly 13 square inches of radiative surface, and more thermal mass than should ever be necessary for a 2W chip.

However, this setup has a couple of drawbacks.  It would have added thickness to the overall design, as well as weight.  Most of that added weight would be in the lid, which would require a more robust hinge or it would start to sag.  These factors would both add cost.  But the possible dealbreaker is that it very well might transfer heat too well.  Heat is better out than in, but shunting it directly to the case means the case itself gets very hot.  Selling a gaming handheld that gets hot enough to burn skin buys you a quick ticket to lawsuit town.  Would such a setup get hot enough after prolonged gaming to actually burn you?  I don't know.  I kind of doubt it, but it's possible.  I remember seeing a teardown of an atom-based tablet that did this.  The comments stated that the case did get "very warm", but that testing showed no throttling under extended load.

There seems to be a number of holes in the PCB also.   As heat rises, the heat therefor should rise from the aluminum & Copper heat sinks through the keyboard PCB and its holes and out through the keyboard cutout.

The speakers helping with heat dissipation, well, maybe a little when they are on. 
As long as there is some air flow, there is a chance this might be ok.

Just no.  The PCB and keycaps themselves are highly insulative.  There will be no appreciable airflow through the case.  Their claim that the speakers will somehow help cool the device is laughably wrong on several levels. The few vents will do little to nothing because, as previously stated, there will be no airflow to speak of.

The win is going to handle heat as well as can be expected given the size and layout constraints, but lets not pretend it's ideal.  I wouldn't even go so far as to call their heat management steps good - just less bad.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:09:44 am by chip »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #627 on: April 23, 2016, 03:18:30 am »
Other than a fan, the only other thing they could have done is to use a cooling pipe like top end smart phones use.   It has been discussed here (by me) and is being discussed on Baidu I noticed.

In regards to the keyboard PCB, looking at the picture, they have made a zillion small holes in it , so there is some scope for heat to go through.   A PCB is not totally thermally insulating either, I was reading about them the other day. They are not great at it, but they do aborb and dissipate heat. It's something that's taken into account in all PCB designs.

As for the speaker, reading more on Baidu, it seems that the small fluctuations it causes in air pressure . will help move air out of the WIN.   Not saying that's going to work well, but that's their theory on how it works.   Also, as air heats up , pressure rises so that the heated air will naturally seek to exit the WIN through the vent holes under a pressure difference between the outside air and the inside. Again, I'm not saying this is going to be enough, in the end we wont know until the thing is tested. But there will be some air flow - obviously not anything like a fan or what some would consider anything to speak of.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:11:43 am by vcoleiro1 »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #628 on: April 23, 2016, 11:29:08 am »
So by this countdown clock, as of now, the GPD WIN Indiegogo campaign only has :

68.5 hours remaining.

So if you left it to the end to decide to jump in , now is the time   :)

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20160425T2359&p0=224&font=cursive
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:31:58 am by vcoleiro1 »

MOFO

« Reply #629 on: April 23, 2016, 03:24:13 pm »
Chinese manufactrers of Atom chip devices  notoriously run hot, adding more thermal pads and coper shims to use the back of the device as a sort of heatsink usually helps a great deal.
If GPD does there homework and actually works on this heat should not be a problem, big if though as manufacturers usually are pretty cheap and do as little as possible to keep costs down.....time will tell ;)