• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 1462906 times)

Phawx

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #5420 on: November 01, 2016, 11:08:40 pm »
w00t!  Got Xubuntu running on my 8750!

Screen rotated and wifi working.  Now to get that MESA driver and hope it works!

starckar

« Reply #5421 on: November 01, 2016, 11:23:22 pm »
Has anybody tried older drivers? Like, July-August 2015? Most of the people with similar crashes I've seen on the web talk about a fix intel put in their drivers around that date.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #5422 on: November 01, 2016, 11:34:13 pm »
I kind of feel as someone already mentioned , that we need to organise some of the issues.  Perhaps make a table of issues , resolutions if any etc.

There seems to be a few, and I'm not sure they are all related.  For example , I had an occurance of the keyboard not working once.  It did start working again after a while/reboot.  But just now I heard from Liliputing who is having a more serious issue with the keyboard not working.   

As for crashes,  I haven't done enough testing yet, but it does seem that in some cases it could be the driver and in other cases it could be overheating.  I have a sneaking suspicion that crashes seem to happen more often with the fan off.  Then again it could all be driver related, as I said before, I have lots of graphics river crashes on my desktop ever since I updated to Win 10.  It seems like a dog of an OS to me.   

I mention overheating, as I noticed that when it crashes and I turn it off sometimes.  I have to leave it for a few minutes before I can turn it on again.  To me this seems suspicously like an overheating issue. This specific issue has only happened with the fan off

That all said, it has been stable for me for a while now.   

I think at some point if we ask GPD for help it would be good to point to a list of issues etc that they can look at

As for Ubuntu, I remember also that GPD said numerous times on Indiiegogo that they will support it including developing drivers for it.  They said it will come sometime after launch.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:44:04 pm by vcoleiro1 »

MJPIA

« Reply #5423 on: November 01, 2016, 11:54:45 pm »
Roughly 40 hours since DHL picked up my Win from GPD and its already sitting in Cincinnati Ohio.
GPD did not cheap out when it came to shipping.

Has anyone opened up a Z8700 model that came from the IGG lot?
I'm curious about the heatsink and the small possibility some of these crashes might be related to heat.
I mean I intend on tearing mine apart when I get it, take the battery out to test the battery and then run the Win off a bench top power supply to measure power consumption under various loads and then do tests with the heat sink as-is and then after modifying it but that has to wait until I get it and have time to do all that.

tobezuk

« Reply #5424 on: November 02, 2016, 12:00:22 am »
Mine is currently being processed in Melbourne Australia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Netjam

« Reply #5425 on: November 02, 2016, 12:01:12 am »
I've done some more testing on this and I've found that disabling 'Extended battery life for gaming' seems to prevent 3dmark2003 from crashing on any of the graphics tests.

Intel's 3D setting set to 'Performance' pays no part to the crashing and can be set to anything. Similarly the Power setting 'Display Power Setting Technology' also does not contribute towards crashing.

It will always crash between 10-28 seconds on CPU test 1, CPU test 2 does not seem to crash but has a very terrible framerate.

Based on this I believe the CPU boost feature of my z8700 cannot reach its advertised upper limit.

I can't use MSI Afterburner's OSD with 3dmark2003 without it causing my test crash or error at some point.

I use the OSD sometimes but it causes problems with 3dmark2003 in general in that it sometimes does not progress to the next test or I have to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and click Cancel. My resolution then goes to 800x600 but I can adjust this in the Display settings of Windows.

When I can use the OSD (briefly), I have noticed a quite a bit of load on CPU3 when 'Extended battery life for gaming' is enabled. CPU1, 2 and 4 are close to 1% and CPU3 will be at 50%, my last test crashed when CPU3 reached 56%.

When disabling 'Extended battery life for gaming' the CPUs will have a slightly different distribution, CPU2 will go to around 80%-90% but the others will hover at around 40%.

I don't have Resident Evil 5 but I think there's a free benchmark for that game available.

I do not know if this is temperature related, but I have been able to reach CPU temperatures of 76c without any issues on games.

Based on my finds, I will attempt to downclock my CPU and enable 'Extended battery life for gaming' in the Intel control panel to see what happens. I'm getting tired for today so I may look into this tomorrow.

All my finds are based on battery use, I have not made this test while charging.

Linkandzelda

« Reply #5426 on: November 02, 2016, 12:02:07 am »
I spent almost the half of the day looking for people with the same problem and people who fixed it. Just found this:

"I am back to using the standard "MS-approved" Intel driver (10.18.15.4256 from July 17, 2015) and have played dozens of games of Pyramids without a single crash. Finally!"

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfusingwin10/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-recovered-on/0acbf4e5-ee53-4f81-bcbd-b671550b8b43?page=18

I'm stuck on 9% installing the Anniversary Update, anyone able to try out this driver?

Netjam

« Reply #5427 on: November 02, 2016, 12:09:10 am »
I spent almost the half of the day looking for people with the same problem and people who fixed it. Just found this:

"I am back to using the standard "MS-approved" Intel driver (10.18.15.4256 from July 17, 2015) and have played dozens of games of Pyramids without a single crash. Finally!"

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfusingwin10/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-recovered-on/0acbf4e5-ee53-4f81-bcbd-b671550b8b43?page=18

I'm stuck on 9% installing the Anniversary Update, anyone able to try out this driver?

'This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software'

No good unfortunately.

Linkandzelda

« Reply #5428 on: November 02, 2016, 12:55:06 am »
I found something else, a review of a mini pc called the Voyo V3 which also uses the same atom chip.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10100/voyo-v3-review-a-fanless-intel-atom-x7z8700-cherry-trail-minipc

In the BIOS section they mention this:

"This brings us to the second issue we had with the unit - In the default configuration, the DTS feature for thermal protection is disabled. This is most likely to be the reason for crashes encountered by other reviewers when benchmarking the Voyo V3. In any case, the default option was altered, as we didn't want to take the risk with DTS being disabled - particularly since we have thermal stress testing as part of our evaluation."

They link to another review which mentions they crashed trying to do benchmarks, same issue as us. Someone in the comments elaborates.

"Ref. the driver crashes ? I think Voyo is still pretty new to the PC space ? I actually looked at the BIOS configuration, and the default settings that they have might not be good ? for example, they have disabled the DTS ? so no throttling at all when it reaches unsafe temperatures. Also, the BIOS for the x7 unit has a lot of options (mainly targeting tablet / 2-in-1 use-cases), and there is a possibility that a few of them might not have been set properly for usage in a mini-PC."

Does the WIN have a DTS setting in the BIOS @Phawx ? I'm going to take a look and see if I can find one either way.
Others might want to try and find this setting too.

EDIT:

So I took a look in my BIOS and found the DTS setting, enabled it.
Going to run the benchmarks again and report back if I get any crashes.
I also tweaked thermal settings (some were set to critical 95c by default!) and set them to the same as @Phawx video.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 01:12:06 am by Linkandzelda »

AVahne

« Reply #5429 on: November 02, 2016, 02:18:58 am »
@Phawx How much battery life do you lose after enabling GPU boost and increasing the RAM timings? I would love to have the best performance possible from my Win, but I don't want to lose too much battery life either. I don't want to be gaming on this while being tethered to the charger like I am with the Wii U GPad.

Phawx

« Reply #5430 on: November 02, 2016, 02:26:03 am »
Heh, compiling Vulkan drivers on the GPDwin itself is taking forever.

@AVahne Those two changes only *allow* best performance to happen.  I've found that living all battery saver options enabled gives best performance on my 8700.   I got like 2470 cloudgate scores.  If I try to remove throttling and enable performance options, battery life went down as well as performance.

Seems like we (or at least I) get to have my cake and eat it too.  Performance when I want it, battery saving when I'm done playing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:28:26 am by Phawx »

Linkandzelda

« Reply #5431 on: November 02, 2016, 02:44:55 am »
After enabling DTS in BIOS I've managed to: run the demo twice, and run each benchmark 5 times in a row without any crashes. It's been doing benchmarks for almost 50 minutes now. I'm doing the 6th and 7th runs now. If I don't fall asleep I'll do the 8th and 9th runs. If it manages that (1-1.5 hours of benchmarks) I'll consider the issue resolved or at the very least vastly improved upon!

EDIT: It passed 6 and 7th, I'm doing 8, 9 and 10th runs now and calling it a night.

EDIT2: That makes 10 benchmarks and almost 1.5 hours of running without any crashes. Either this is a super big coincidence or the DTS being initially disabled is the true culprit to why my WIN crashes/was crashing.

I'll do the ultimate test. I'm going to leave it plugged in overnight and let it do the benchmarks again and I'll set them to repeat each 15 times. When I wake up will check event viewer for any error reports.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:31:41 am by Linkandzelda »

AVahne

« Reply #5432 on: November 02, 2016, 02:48:35 am »
@Phawx
Thanks, that's actually sounds pretty good. Once I receive my Win, I'll be giving those two changes a try...as long as I don't get one that crashes every so often.

wermy

« Reply #5433 on: November 02, 2016, 03:28:19 am »
After enabling DTS in BIOS I've managed to: run the demo twice, and run each benchmark 5 times in a row without any crashes. It's been doing benchmarks for almost 50 minutes now. I'm doing the 6th and 7th runs now. If I don't fall asleep I'll do the 8th and 9th runs. If it manages that (1-1.5 hours of benchmarks) I'll consider the issue resolved or at the very least vastly improved upon!

EDIT: It passed 6 and 7th, I'm doing 8, 9 and 10th runs now and calling it a night.

That is awesome news!  Mine should be here tomorrow and I was scared I'd have one of the "faulty" ones, but it sounds like you nailed down what the issue was.  :D
GPD Win Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/CZrVzKX

Phawx

« Reply #5434 on: November 02, 2016, 03:29:31 am »

That is awesome news!  Mine should be here tomorrow and I was scared I'd have one of the "faulty" ones, but it sounds like you nailed down what the issue was.  :D

I believe Nex tried this in the BIOS as well and it didn't help.

Linkandzelda

« Reply #5435 on: November 02, 2016, 03:37:22 am »

Hard to explain whats going on but clearly something changed on my device after I tweaked BIOS. At this point I find it really hard to consider this good string of successful runs just to be a coincidence.

I enabled DTS
Enabled IGP thermal
Disable the IGP power lock/check thing (I forgot the name of the setting)
Altered thermal passive to 80c on each one of the options

Didn't enable fast memory or graphics boost and memory scrambler is enabled

Phawx

« Reply #5436 on: November 02, 2016, 03:43:06 am »

Hard to explain whats going on but clearly something changed on my device after I tweaked BIOS. At this point I find it really hard to consider this good string of successful runs just to be a coincidence.

I enabled DTS
Enabled IGP thermal

Considering Dex tried DTS, I think we could narrow it down to:

It's either GPU Power Lock or the thermal thresholds.

ArchiMark

« Reply #5437 on: November 02, 2016, 03:56:43 am »
w00t!  Got Xubuntu running on my 8750!

Screen rotated and wifi working.  Now to get that MESA driver and hope it works!

That's great news, Phawx!

I've been trying to get screen rotated in Linux Mint but so far, nothing I've tried works....

When I try some of the commands I read about in other posts online, my display just goes black.....and have to restart WIN.....

Could you please share what you did to get screen to rotate?

And are you able to boot up with screen rotated or only after you've booted up Xubuntu?

Thanks.
Silicon Valley Digerati & Pretty Good Guy
Pocket Devices: GPD WIN/Zaurus SL-C3200 (Arch Linux)

wermy

« Reply #5438 on: November 02, 2016, 03:58:36 am »

I enabled DTS
Enabled IGP thermal

Considering Dex tried DTS, I think we could narrow it down to:

It's either GPU Power Lock or the thermal thresholds.

Well it at least sounds like we're narrowing in on some settings that contribute to it, so that's good.  :)
GPD Win Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/CZrVzKX

tobezuk

« Reply #5439 on: November 02, 2016, 04:44:47 am »
I've got mine! Successfully delivered!

Post a new topic