Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 1120054 times)

nex86

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #5340 on: November 01, 2016, 05:20:48 pm »
doing this now..

anyways..
to see the first driver crash, go to 1:37. second one is right after.
If the driver wouldn't crash this game would be perfectly playable. Better than on my Z3740 Tablet which can't even hold 20fps.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuSris0h7Q8" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuSris0h7Q8</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuSris0h7Q8
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:29:48 pm by nex86 »

TANworks™

« Reply #5341 on: November 01, 2016, 05:31:27 pm »
From my experience, multiple crashes in GPU usually indicate insufficient power when power demand is high (When a game is running).

This is usually handled by the PMU to prevent power spikes that cause these crashes.

May I make a suggestion, try getting another power adapter, preferably an Apple iPad adapter, those are very reliable, and hook that up to your GPD Win, wait for 5 minutes while the device is switched off, then turn it on, and run your games, see if you if still suffer from GPU crashes now ?
If you like my work or if I answered your question and wish to thank/support me...
You may simply buy me a beer or a cocktail :-D

Click here to donate via Paypal

nex86

« Reply #5342 on: November 01, 2016, 05:39:12 pm »
It even crashes when running on battery.
a different power adapter doesn't help either. I tried the one from my iPad Air 2.

ArchiMark

« Reply #5343 on: November 01, 2016, 05:47:59 pm »

[SNIP.....]

Could you run some intensive 3d stuff for 1-2 hours and see if there are crashes or problems? That wouldbe a huge step in confirming everyone else's crashing problems is software/win10 and not hardware...

What do you suggest I run?.....

FYI, I am not a gamer....don't have any games.....sorry about that, guys....

I just wanted a pocketable computer.....and dual boot Win 10 with Linux.....

:-[

You could try 0 a.d. with the settings cranked up. Don't know how intensive it will be but it's a free 3d game for linux.

Thanks for the suggestion....

Willing to try it after I figure out how to rotate display....right now it is very clumsy to use Linux Mint while display is rotated 90 degrees....
Silicon Valley Digerati & Pretty Good Guy
Pocket Devices: GPD WIN/Zaurus SL-C3200 (Arch Linux)

ArchiMark

« Reply #5344 on: November 01, 2016, 05:49:18 pm »

[SNIP.....]

Could you run some intensive 3d stuff for 1-2 hours and see if there are crashes or problems? That wouldbe a huge step in confirming everyone else's crashing problems is software/win10 and not hardware...

What do you suggest I run?.....

FYI, I am not a gamer....don't have any games.....sorry about that, guys....

I just wanted a pocketable computer.....and dual boot Win 10 with Linux.....

:-[

There are tons of free games for linux: open arena is fun! Or urban terror, alien arena, xonotic, tremulous,...

I think open arena might be best option, it is mature and stable (qyake 3 engine) has a demo mode and is not too heavy

Thanks for all your suggestions....who knows I might turn into a gamer yet....

Willing to try it after I figure out how to rotate display....right now it is very clumsy to use Linux Mint while display is rotated 90 degrees....
Silicon Valley Digerati & Pretty Good Guy
Pocket Devices: GPD WIN/Zaurus SL-C3200 (Arch Linux)

Phawx

« Reply #5345 on: November 01, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »
@wade is it possible that we can update the mouse-mode of the GPDwin to change the configuration?  I'd like WASD to be on Analog.

Netjam

« Reply #5346 on: November 01, 2016, 05:59:39 pm »

I'm also running Memtest but so far I think it's unlikely to be the memory, I reckon we've got some conflicting software, I don't think it's the hardware.

One thing to note that since I reinstalled Windows (first time, I haven't reinstalled it yet since I was running this test), is that my external hard drive is now removable whereas before it seems to treat it as internal storage HOWEVER if you use the drive then it will instantly cause the WiFi to trip up and you'll lose network connectivity. USB flash drives are fine though but I use the Samsung Fit.

Somehow GPD configured reading external mechanical hard drives to read as internal, I don't really know how they did that, perhaps someone that's more familiar with Windows can answer?

Netjam

« Reply #5347 on: November 01, 2016, 06:05:55 pm »
@wade is it possible that we can update the mouse-mode of the GPDwin to change the configuration?  I'd like WASD to be on Analog.

Perhaps we could use something like X-Mouse Button Control in combination with a keyboard remapper to do what we want for the time being?

https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmousebuttoncontrol.htm

I'm not familiar with any keyboard remapper software unfortunately.

Phawx

« Reply #5348 on: November 01, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »

Perhaps we could use something like X-Mouse Button Control in combination with a keyboard remapper to do what we want for the time being?

For keyboard remapper you can use sharpkeys.  However, while I'm aware that we can run x-input and use x-input like a mouse.  Ideally I'd like to change mouse mouse instead as that a hardware solution independent of software.

Ghost Trick showed this to me: http://store.steampowered.com/app/367670/

And while, yes it would work, I'd rather have the ability to edit the mouse mode myself.  I don't need a fancy utility.  Hell I'd do it with hex-editing if they let me.  I just want to be able to edit it.

Phawx

« Reply #5349 on: November 01, 2016, 06:13:52 pm »

soo.

Apparently I'll have another GPDwin tomorrow.

Linkandzelda

« Reply #5350 on: November 01, 2016, 06:14:31 pm »

For keyboard remapper you can use sharpkeys.  However, while I'm aware that we can run x-input and use x-input like a mouse.  Ideally I'd like to change mouse mouse instead as that a hardware solution independent of software.

And while, yes it would work, I'd rather have the ability to edit the mouse mode myself.  I don't need a fancy utility.  Hell I'd do it with hex-editing if they let me.  I just want to be able to edit it.

Was just about to suggest Controller Companion. I use it to add custom profiles to allow playing visual novels that don't support controllers, and also to control mouse sitting away from the screen while on the desktop.

I don't know about you but being able to never switch that button or remember to switch to and from mouse/input mode is my preferred configuration.

Netjam

« Reply #5351 on: November 01, 2016, 06:15:30 pm »
That makes sense, it'll be a driver update in that case, seeing as how the gamepad portion of the unit doesn't do anything unless you install a driver but then again, I have no idea which driver is responsible for that.

+1 for advanced software tools for the gamepad portion

You'll be having twins and a big brother, now I wonder if you'll get another non-crashing z8700 or perhaps it probably turns out the rest of us are incredibly bad at re-installing Windows!

Phawx, father of 3 GPD Wins.

monstercameron

« Reply #5352 on: November 01, 2016, 06:17:27 pm »
@phawx thanks for testing RE5

Now does anyone want to tackle power consumption ?

Gpu crashing -atleast on the desktop- is usually and power problem, with that said I am very glad that you guys are beta testing this for me!
My nuc also has occasional graphics driver crashes, and we all knew that Intel's driver situation wasn't going to be as good as the other 2.

And I feel like an asshole for saying this but an APU would've been so much better even with reduced battery life.

Phawx

« Reply #5353 on: November 01, 2016, 06:17:59 pm »

Was just about to suggest Controller Companion. I use it to add custom profiles to allow playing visual novels that don't support controllers, and also to control mouse sitting away from the screen while on the desktop.

I don't know about you but being able to never switch that button or remember to switch to and from mouse/input mode is my preferred configuration.

Same.  Mouse mode would be ideal for me as then I wouldn't have to deal with configurations on old games.

Sinael

« Reply #5354 on: November 01, 2016, 06:26:20 pm »
@Phawx
Congrats on getting a free unit :D

nex86

« Reply #5355 on: November 01, 2016, 06:29:43 pm »

soo.

hah. congratz.
I wish I would have at least one that wouldn't crash  ;D

natro

« Reply #5356 on: November 01, 2016, 06:30:25 pm »

Would xpadder work for this?

eragon2890

« Reply #5357 on: November 01, 2016, 06:46:56 pm »

soo.

Congrats! :D

Also, if it's power consumptiomn, maybe all those services you disables explains why yours doesn't crash. Anyway.

Now you have anotehr one, if a reinstall makes it works perfectly (only you will probably do it exactly the same again) can you PLEASE create a disk image for easy USB-install? :D

eragon2890

« Reply #5358 on: November 01, 2016, 06:49:40 pm »
just an idea people, but isn't screen backlight one of the biggest power consumers? If so, try putting it on lowest brightness, and see if the crashes go away.

Migth also explain why @Deen0X  WIN worked perfectly in all of these demo vids over HDMI: the screen was off, and fan was off. MUCH less power consumption.

nex86

« Reply #5359 on: November 01, 2016, 06:50:19 pm »
can you PLEASE create a disk image for easy USB-install? :D

that would be perfect.

I'm going to do a clean install for the fourth time now xD