• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 1257358 times)

vcoleiro1

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #3660 on: October 09, 2016, 01:50:55 pm »
GPD WIN Disassembly Guide

Complete with some pretty awesome closeups of components.

Looks like the battery will be easy to replace should it fail

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4815125987

finalstrider

« Reply #3661 on: October 09, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »
Hey everyone,

I received my GPD WIN 8750 from china last week. I purchased it 2nd hand from idle fish from a TaoBao agent. And my god that was a painful process initially but it?s here now and fulfils my dream of being able to play dark souls 1 and 2 on the go!

I thought I would share my thoughts on the device and in no way is this an attempt at a review of any kind.
(Now please bear in mind I live in London and run the rat race, I get up for work at 5AM every day and I get about an hour per day max to do any tinkering with the device after first looking after my daughter. And most importantly I have little to none advanced tech knowledge)

Firstly, let?s start off with the build, the WIN is as we would expect very well built with a strong hinge and it is also slightly heavy in hand which makes sense to account for the heat sink, fan and large battery. There?s no squeaks or cracks from the plastic like my previous JXD devices and in general it feels like a well thought out product.
All the buttons are responsive and the triggers are ?very? springy and protrude out a little more than I expected.
The thumbsticks do a great job, responsive with a good grip but the rubber they are made out of attract a lot of hair and dirt and they feel very squishy, I am already concerned about how long they will last and would change them for harder/ sturdier thumbsticks if I can.

The US Qwerty keyboard is as you would expect it to be, the rubber keys are strong and feel they will last but thumb typing is the only way you?re going to be using it.
Screen is lovely and bright, and I agree with other owners that the txt can get a bit too small at times and I do wish it was slightly larger with smaller bezels.

I?m fairly happy with the sound too. Although the WIN has only one speaker I didn?t notice it was monaural, it was clear and can still get very loud although don?t expect any bass.
My only problem thus far has been getting the device to connect to my home or work wireless network. The WIN can detect networks on both frequencies but upon connecting it has the error message ?Can?t connect to this network?. I?ve done everything that I can to get it to work but currently have been left dumbstruck and my current solution is a Ethernet to USB adapter to get online.

Word of warning if you decide to reboot windows 10 and do a fresh install it takes several hours to format and reinstall. And updating to windows 10 anniversary edition took half a day. I noticed the device doesn?t actually reboot automatically as stated in the update. So you have to switch back on after it boots off.

Currently my WIN has about 20GB of free space, I have not installed anything other than google chrome and some basic programmes/ emulators. All of my games and steam library is located on the external 200gb micro SD or the 128 GB USB flash drive.
(Downloading games from steam to the 200gb can take a whole day, I am assuming this is down to the limitations of the card?s write speed)
So yeah Windows have hogged a lot of the onboard memory. I remember it had about 50GB upon initial boot.

Now onto the meat and bones, I have had very little to time to play any games for more than a few minutes but thus far I have tried Darks souls 2, Devil May Cry, Shadow Complex, I am setsuna and ran a few ISOs from PCSX2 and they all ran as expected but I need to do some optimisation on the graphics settings to get the best out of them.
For now I am just satisfied that they run and at a playable speed even most times.
I promised Phawx I will do some benchmarks test and I?ll get them done at some point soon and post the results for the community.

Overall I am delighted with my purchase and paid about $450 in total including shipping and considering I didn?t pre-order from the Indiegogo campaign I don't think I did too badly.

Word of warning ? do not use driver pack solution to update the systems drivers as this literally bricked my WIN (Remember this is a UMPC not a standard PC) but I was lucky enough to discover access to the windows self-repair menu from boot up and had to reformat and start again.

Pics to follow, when I get a chance.

Dethbatmobile

« Reply #3662 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:02 pm »
You answered several questions that I was going to ask, thank you for clarifying that it does take up to 200GB SD, and unfortunately because it is UHS-I the transfer speeds won't be that great, but great not-review over all

MJPIA

« Reply #3663 on: October 09, 2016, 07:43:33 pm »
What is that hc3f3210a chip that they applied thermal paste to?
Googling it comes with with two results, one is junk and the other is a research paper you have pay to view so you can't tell what it is.

Also just noticed Intel did get back to me about the alpha blending errata and I missed it.

"As far as the Specification Update dated June 2015 states, there is no fix for now, however I would recommend that you contact your Intel Representative or Field Application Engineer working with this company on the designing of the product to get more details on this errata and any other implications. We do not provide this kind of information via forums for embeded processors and best course of action is to reach out either Intel field personnel or the product manufacturer itself."

Kinda expected that tbh.

I don't have time currently to pursue this further but if anyone knows anyone in Intel who could get this info, wants to attempt to communicate this to Kendy to see if the Intel reps GPD is working with can provide this or simply wants to try contacting a nearby Intel representative to see if you can pry it out of them feel free to give it a shot.

CampGareth

« Reply #3664 on: October 09, 2016, 07:52:17 pm »

Currently my WIN has about 20GB of free space, I have not installed anything other than google chrome and some basic programmes/ emulators. All of my games and steam library is located on the external 200gb micro SD or the 128 GB USB flash drive.
(Downloading games from steam to the 200gb can take a whole day, I am assuming this is down to the limitations of the card?s write speed)
So yeah Windows have hogged a lot of the onboard memory. I remember it had about 50GB upon initial boot.

Run "disk cleanup" which is part of Windows 10, then click "clean up system files", then tick all the boxes followed by okay. That'll empty the recycle bin, delete thumbnails, old update files and restore points. Should free up a few gigs at least.

Faust

« Reply #3665 on: October 09, 2016, 07:54:38 pm »
Hey everyone,

I received my GPD WIN 8750 from china last week. I purchased it 2nd hand from idle fish from a TaoBao agent. And my god that was a painful process initially but it?s here now and fulfils my dream of being able to play dark souls 1 and 2 on the go!

I thought I would share my thoughts on the device and in no way is this an attempt at a review of any kind.
(Now please bear in mind I live in London and run the rat race, I get up for work at 5AM every day and I get about an hour per day max to do any tinkering with the device after first looking after my daughter. And most importantly I have little to none advanced tech knowledge)

Firstly, let?s start off with the build, the WIN is as we would expect very well built with a strong hinge and it is also slightly heavy in hand which makes sense to account for the heat sink, fan and large battery. There?s no squeaks or cracks from the plastic like my previous JXD devices and in general it feels like a well thought out product.
All the buttons are responsive and the triggers are ?very? springy and protrude out a little more than I expected.
The thumbsticks do a great job, responsive with a good grip but the rubber they are made out of attract a lot of hair and dirt and they feel very squishy, I am already concerned about how long they will last and would change them for harder/ sturdier thumbsticks if I can.

The US Qwerty keyboard is as you would expect it to be, the rubber keys are strong and feel they will last but thumb typing is the only way you?re going to be using it.
Screen is lovely and bright, and I agree with other owners that the txt can get a bit too small at times and I do wish it was slightly larger with smaller bezels.

I?m fairly happy with the sound too. Although the WIN has only one speaker I didn?t notice it was monaural, it was clear and can still get very loud although don?t expect any bass.
My only problem thus far has been getting the device to connect to my home or work wireless network. The WIN can detect networks on both frequencies but upon connecting it has the error message ?Can?t connect to this network?. I?ve done everything that I can to get it to work but currently have been left dumbstruck and my current solution is a Ethernet to USB adapter to get online.

Word of warning if you decide to reboot windows 10 and do a fresh install it takes several hours to format and reinstall. And updating to windows 10 anniversary edition took half a day. I noticed the device doesn?t actually reboot automatically as stated in the update. So you have to switch back on after it boots off.

Now onto the meat and bones, I have had very little to time to play any games for more than a few minutes but thus far I have tried Darks souls 2, Devil May Cry, Shadow Complex, I am setsuna and ran a few ISOs from PCSX2 and they all ran as expected but I need to do some optimisation on the graphics settings to get the best out of them.
For now I am just satisfied that they run and at a playable speed even most times.
I promised Phawx I will do some benchmarks test and I?ll get them done at some point soon and post the results for the community.

Overall I am delighted with my purchase and paid about $450 in total including shipping and considering I didn?t pre-order from the Indiegogo campaign I don't think I did too badly.

Word of warning ? do not use driver pack solution to update the systems drivers as this literally bricked my WIN (Remember this is a UMPC not a standard PC) but I was lucky enough to discover access to the windows self-repair menu from boot up and had to reformat and start again.

Welcome aboard Pal, we are glad that you joined us, we were craving for a western owner with more informations.

If you don't mind I have some questions, take your time to answer:

I-

- What do you think about the D-pad?

- Is the gamepad comfortable, and the buttons easily reachable??

II-

- Does the heat from the Win is unbearable under heavy load?

- Do you have any idea about the battery life in light gaming, and heavy gaming?

- Does the GPD WIN battery charge while playing heavy games while plugged?

III-

- Is it easy to see the screen under the sunlight?

- If you turn on maximum speed the fan, and loud the speaker, do you still hear the sound?

Frogman

« Reply #3666 on: October 09, 2016, 07:54:52 pm »
Hey everyone,

good to hear all that (i haven't preordered it,so if this taobao agent has another one to sell,let me know :P) but i wonder...its not possible to install windows 7 on it?shouldn't it run faster?

brushpicks11

« Reply #3667 on: October 09, 2016, 08:32:18 pm »
Ya deleting system files can free up decades of gigs there. I know anniversary update installed, keeps old version of windows for some time takes up almost 30gb on my laptop

finalstrider

« Reply #3668 on: October 09, 2016, 08:41:37 pm »

I-

- What do you think about the D-pad?

Great similar to a DS one, nothing to complain about really

- Is the gamepad comfortable, and the buttons easily reachable??

Yes, it all feels good and comfortable to use for long periods of time.

II-

- Does the heat from the Win is unbearable under heavy load?

I've not had the chance to take it to deep waters yet. But under light load it's barely warm.

- Do you have any idea about the battery life in light gaming, and heavy gaming?

Not yet but I have a feeling 3 to 4 hours is going to be achievable for light gaming.

- Does the GPD WIN battery charge while playing heavy games while plugged?

Not sure, I have haven't had the chance to test that yet, so far it has been plugged while I download from steam.

III-

- Is it easy to see the screen under the sunlight?

It hasn't been the sunniest in the UK but like all displays it's going to be best when in doors. But will struggle like a mobile phone would outdoors.

- If you turn on maximum speed the fan, and loud the speaker, do you still hear the sound?

I can tell you the speaker can get much louder than the fan. You can hear the fan but it is subtle even on max.

finalstrider

« Reply #3669 on: October 09, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »
Thanks to CampGareth for the tip to free system space, much appreciated!

MJPIA

« Reply #3670 on: October 09, 2016, 09:14:35 pm »
finalstrider could you tell me the model number of the lcd?
Just go to system settings, type in cleartext and "adjust cleartype text" should pop up.
Click on that, and start going through the adjustment pages without changing anything, after you go through 5 pages it should have a page that says "you have finished tuning the text on your monitor."
Underneath it should show the lcd model number.
Then you can just hit cancel and no settings will change.
Thanks

Frogman

« Reply #3671 on: October 09, 2016, 09:45:22 pm »
Hey everyone,

good to hear all that (i haven't preordered it,so if this taobao agent has another one to sell,let me know :P) but i wonder...its not possible to install windows 7 on it?shouldn't it run faster?

...got ignored once again...-_-

CampGareth

« Reply #3672 on: October 09, 2016, 10:58:12 pm »
Hey everyone,

On a basic level there's nothing stopping it from working, but you might find drivers for various components are missing. Windows 7 would be useless if the wifi card doesn't work for instance.

jmorneno114

« Reply #3673 on: October 09, 2016, 11:39:19 pm »
Anyone know when the indiegogo units are being shipped to us backers?

brandon916

« Reply #3674 on: October 10, 2016, 12:02:49 am »
Hey everyone,

On a basic level there's nothing stopping it from working, but you might find drivers for various components are missing. Windows 7 would be useless if the wifi card doesn't work for instance.

You definitely can but finding all the drivers are going to suck.

Phawx

« Reply #3675 on: October 10, 2016, 12:17:29 am »
What is that hc3f3210a chip that they applied thermal paste to?

It's an 8bit microcontroller.  If I had to guess, one of it's main functions is emulating the Xbox 360 controller for the GPDWin.

Anyone know when the indiegogo units are being shipped to us backers?

It should be this week.

@finalstrider

You can also run dism from command line to purge lots of things.  Additionally, Windows 10 Media Creation tool (from Microsoft) will download an iso with the latest Anniversary update.  So after your install you'll already be on build 1607.

For dism in cmd prompt you can run dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded, but if you already cleaned via disk cleanup, you should be fine.

Also thanks @vcoleiro1 for posting that tear-down link.  While it is as easy as I assumed, we did get some better resolution shots of the chips.

Edit:  Also thanks @finalstrider for managing to get your hands on the 8750 model.  We'll finally be able to understand what the difference is between the 8750 and 8700.  Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 12:28:02 am by Phawx »

fvig2001

« Reply #3676 on: October 10, 2016, 12:57:41 am »
@finalstrider

Was there a performance difference when you reinstalled Windows 10? Was the reinstallation just a last ditch effort to make your wifi work?

siegel17701

« Reply #3677 on: October 10, 2016, 01:05:38 am »
Only 20 free gigs,  that sux😞

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Phawx

« Reply #3678 on: October 10, 2016, 01:07:45 am »

It's only because he updated to 1607 after reinstalling.  You can delete windows.old. 

For instance on my BayTrail tablet, I managed to have Win10 only take 7GB.

siegel17701

« Reply #3679 on: October 10, 2016, 01:14:01 am »

It's only because he updated to 1607 after reinstalling.  You can delete windows.old. 

For instance on my BayTrail tablet, I managed to have Win10 only take 7GB.
Ok,  that sounds better.  I wonder how hard it will be to swap SD cards on the fly.  Until I get a core group of games that work well I will be testing alot.

Post a new topic