Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 1202254 times)

Deen0X

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #220 on: March 09, 2016, 06:47:06 am »
HOME button is GUIDE button, then OK

i always consider that the device will be dualOS, then on my designs have basic android buttons, but i figure these controls may be on the keyboard too:
win = home
esc = back (well, esc have the same functionality)
context menu = menu

and yes, i prefer this layout with sticks on the border.

L3 and R3 may be on the same row as the rest of the buttons, or where you placed (but in any case, near to sticks)
select & start are well located. must be select on the left and start on the right, and easy to access
and you forget the 3-mode switch (DInput, XInput, Mouse), that i figure is the "mouse" button you put on the image.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #221 on: March 09, 2016, 06:52:14 am »
I have a button  for mouse mode. For Xinput/Dinput , remember we discussed this switch previously and I mentioned it would be better to set Xinput/dinput and any future joystick mode via the GPD gamepad app. That way you are not limited by a permanent HW switch if you add joystick modes.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:55:56 am by vcoleiro1 »

ker

« Reply #222 on: March 09, 2016, 08:22:05 am »
@eragon2890   Yes, you're right. They told me the same reason.

If they want to keep that area between the sticks  free for a heatsink, and I agree it's probably the case.  Then a layout like below would probably be better, as it allows more room between the sticks and therefor room for a bigger heat sink.

I've reported your latest revision to dev team.
IMO, this is probably the best solution for now. Hope they will consider this layout.

@Saber   I've also conveyed your thinking to them.

Tomorrow, 3.7.2016, GPD will release a new revision on indiegogo. Let's look forward to it.

after thinking about this, i too agree that this may be the best solution.

on original design, the angle of thumbs are stressed because these kind of controls usually need to intensive use of Top buttons (L1/R1/L2/R2)

as you can see, the angle is more forced because you must press top buttons at the same time, and after some time playing most probably you get tired by this forced position. L1 and R1 most probably you will press many times accidentally (curernt GPD-XD design generate these accidental press too)

The alternative layout suggested by vcoleiro1 with similar position of sticks as GPD-XD on the borders, let to you to play more relaxed with these group of controls (sticks and top buttons)

usually, when you play games based on DPAD, most time you only need the DPAD and ABXY buttons. There are many games of course that you need extra buttons (top buttons) such fighting games, but i figure this layout is more comfortable for genral pourpouse. In fact, GPD-XD is comfortable for fighting games, using ABXY L1 and R1 buttons for completing 3x2 layoug of most fighting games (street fighter based games)

in fact, i think locating L3 and R3  under sticksm may be enough too

with this layout, center of the device get a large clean space for helping the heat sink to work without problems (if this is the reason that they cannot put controls on this area)

And what happens if you just play dpad games?

vcoleiro1

« Reply #223 on: March 09, 2016, 08:32:36 am »
@ker, Don't worry, the hands Deen0X drew are not to scale/proportion , nor are they in the right spot.  The GPD WIN is not the size of a laptop :P

If you have a GPD XD, then basically dpad gaming would be similiar to that.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:37:52 am by vcoleiro1 »

Deen0X

« Reply #224 on: March 09, 2016, 08:58:00 am »
exact (and right, the figure is only an schemma for showing what i mean, and is not proportional sized).

based on current XD, DPAD location is good and comfortable for fighting games (the most i usually play on it). Maybe a little bit bigger dapd will be so appreciated, but in any case is ok for general usage

when you use DPAD, most probably you will use ABXY on most cases (retrogaming such mame, etc) and are less probably you will need L1/L2/R1/R2 that are more (always) used when playing using analog sticks, then this design is more "all porupose" settings.

wolfstar27

« Reply #225 on: March 09, 2016, 05:00:52 pm »
considering getting this or GPD XD 2, but the thing that stands out to me more on this GPD WIN is from what Ive read is you can play steam natively on the console rather than streaming it from your PC, am I correct in thinking this? but If this is true, i doubt it would be able to handle modern game.

wermy

« Reply #226 on: March 09, 2016, 05:24:10 pm »
considering getting this or GPD XD 2, but the thing that stands out to me more on this GPD WIN is from what Ive read is you can play steam natively on the console rather than streaming it from your PC, am I correct in thinking this? but If this is true, i doubt it would be able to handle modern game.

Yep, that's correct: you can install steam and any game in your library.  No, it won't be powerful enough to run the latest and greatest games, but games even as recent as a few years ago should run pretty well at low settings.

Don't forget, you can also stream on this as well for higher-end games.  So you'd get the best of both worlds, really.  :)
GPD Win Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/CZrVzKX

Phawx

« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2016, 06:03:04 pm »

The reason it can play them naively is because it uses an x86 cpu and runs Windows.  Aside from the huge list of windows games it can play, a lot of emulators run better on x86.  SSF is x86 only and is my preferred emu for Saturn.  Additionally there are lots of mods for newer games to reduce a lot of the games settings further than what the settings menu allows.  There is a Witcher 3 mod that lowers things pretty crazy.  Additionally the screen resolution is only 720p, so even rendering at max resolution, I'm pretty confident that the hardware can handle a lot.  I think if we can get a good community together we'll see lots of config support for running games on GPD Win very well.  Also GPD has said that the controls are seen as a 360 controller, so xinput is on by default.

Really the only thing we have to think about is how good the controls actually feel.  Also they've mentioned that we should see a new render of the keyboard config soon.  Hopefully they addressed everyones concerns and then we just have to wait.

Personally I would love an Xperia Play style device that was a Windows Gaming machine with slide out controls.  But right now I'm very much looking forward to the GPD Win.

wolfstar27

« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2016, 07:06:53 pm »
now I looking forward to it. main thing I play is Adventure games and fighting games. so running Scummvm on here and also playing my GOG games is no problem. I know it won't be able to handle fallout 4 or street fighter 5 unless I stream it, but at this moment my PC still has an onboard graphics card planning on getting a MSI GTX 970 4G version, but waiting till the Pascal to release so the price lowers.

I do love my GPD XD but I can't play my DOS games with the controller, hoping to get better luck on this GPD Win.

hoping to pre-order next month as it says there is two months left on indiegogo

Deen0X

« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2016, 07:13:02 pm »
i comment many times.
this hardware allow to you to run most of multi games of the PS3/X360 gen, and more.

Shadows of mordor cannot run on this (i tested the same SoC), but games from few years ago may run ok (adjusting screen resolution, of course)

eragon2890

« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2016, 08:29:44 pm »
now I looking forward to it. main thing I play is Adventure games and fighting games. so running Scummvm on here and also playing my GOG games is no problem. I know it won't be able to handle fallout 4 or street fighter 5 unless I stream it, but at this moment my PC still has an onboard graphics card planning on getting a MSI GTX 970 4G version, but waiting till the Pascal to release so the price lowers.

I do love my GPD XD but I can't play my DOS games with the controller, hoping to get better luck on this GPD Win.

Yes you can~ I did few weeks back. The joysticks don't work with dosbox turbo, but in that app you can use all other buttons (l1/l2/l3/r1/r2/r3/dpad/ABXY) by mapping them as keyboard buttons. works like a champ. :D

And then if your games themselves allow remapping controls you only have to do it once off course~! D:

Phawx

« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2016, 08:34:30 pm »
i comment many times.
this hardware allow to you to run most of multi games of the PS3/X360 gen, and more.

Shadows of mordor cannot run on this (i tested the same SoC), but games from few years ago may run ok (adjusting screen resolution, of course)

Have you ever tried running any of the configs for shadow of morder to force low settings?  Additionally does your cherry trail hardware have dual-channel ram?  Lastly in Intel gpu management, did you force performance?

Also, I don't know if they work but did you ever try installing Omega drivers on your Cherry Trail?  I don't know if they support it though.

Deen0X

« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2016, 09:03:14 pm »
Im using Teclast X98 Pro (Cherrytrail X5 Z8500

yes, i tried Shadow of Mordor on low settings

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2IxQZVVB1M" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2IxQZVVB1M</a>
i don?t remember now, but i think this video is 800x600 (or 640x480)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDNgJP9QXD0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDNgJP9QXD0</a>
and this video may be 320x200 (yes, i tried very low resolutions for testing)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:07:50 pm by Deen0X »

wolfstar27

« Reply #233 on: March 09, 2016, 09:29:58 pm »

[/quote]
Yes you can~ I did few weeks back. The joysticks don't work with dosbox turbo, but in that app you can use all other buttons (l1/l2/l3/r1/r2/r3/dpad/ABXY) by mapping them as keyboard buttons. works like a champ. :D

And then if your games themselves allow remapping controls you only have to do it once off course~! D:
[/quote]

cheers for that, I need to edit my files, so it's easy to do the CD command, i'm guessing you used game pad app which is a keyboard and gamepad?

also its probably been asked here, can GPD Win play the Dolphin emulator at a decent speed without streaming from a PC?

ker

« Reply #234 on: March 09, 2016, 10:40:59 pm »

You can use your analogs in DosBox or ScummVM in GPD XD. Just use a keymapper (I use Tyncore one)

ker

« Reply #235 on: March 09, 2016, 10:47:11 pm »
exact (and right, the figure is only an schemma for showing what i mean, and is not proportional sized).

based on current XD, DPAD location is good and comfortable for fighting games (the most i usually play on it). Maybe a little bit bigger dapd will be so appreciated, but in any case is ok for general usage

when you use DPAD, most probably you will use ABXY on most cases (retrogaming such mame, etc) and are less probably you will need L1/L2/R1/R2 that are more (always) used when playing using analog sticks, then this design is more "all porupose" settings.

You don't use L1/R1 playing snes, gba, etc??

I was just saying that if you move analogs to a "comfortable" place, dpad will be uncomfortable.

Just don't forget not everyone wants this device to play with analogs. I want it to play retro consoles and msdos/windows crpgs (so dpad and keyboard are very important) and some windows/steam games (so now, analog is the important one)

wolfstar27

« Reply #236 on: March 09, 2016, 10:49:27 pm »

You can use your analogs in DosBox or ScummVM in GPD XD. Just use a keymapper (I use Tyncore one)

yeah the analog control works fine from the ScummVM i downloaded from the play store....I tried the SDL (i think thats it) version but the cursor was all over the place, i didn't know how to use tyncore map on it to adjust the sensitivity.

how do you use the Menu button on ScummVM to get the save and load option?

Deen0X

« Reply #237 on: March 09, 2016, 10:53:51 pm »
This device is focussed to general widnows gaming, not only retrogaming. in fact, retrogaming is quite served with android consoles in my opinion, and this device because is the first on this kind, must focuss on what currently don?t have alternatives, that is windows gaming, and most of these games uses analog, then is logic think on a layout that prefer this kind of controls.

and i think moving sticks to borders will be more comfortable in general the gaming layout than analog on the center. in fact, the vcoleiro design respect so much the current GPD-XD layout, and for fighting games are ok (i only use dpad for fighting games)

SNESFAN

« Reply #238 on: March 10, 2016, 12:06:19 am »
I think either going with a Xbox or PS3 control layout is best for familiarity. I see things getting highly criticized by going against the grain thinking it would work out better. I mean look at the keyboard here, there is a reason nobody does it like that IMO.
Using Tapatalk

weej

« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2016, 12:11:06 am »
Hi @Deen0X
Thanks for those videos,  the X98 that you have has throttling issues due to overheating yes? I saw a review where the guy added copper spacers to cool the board down and was able to stabilize performance, have you done the same to cool down your X98? I'm asking because throttling could be a major factor if GPD doesn't give the unit proper cooling.

The 2nd thing I'd like to ask is if you've tested out X86/64 emus like PCSX2, Dolphin or reicast etc on lowest setting?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic