• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD Win 3 & GPD Win TAB 1 features and suggestions to improve everything  (Read 25364 times)

ker

Re: GPD Win 3 & GPD Win TAB 1 features and suggestions to improve everything
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 01:15:58 pm »
Cheaper is not happening, sorry

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
Of course it could be... Just remove keyboard and avoid shell form and you have a cheaper device.

GPD has a great profit in that 700$

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Skelton-retired

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 01:32:38 pm »

Of course it could be... Just remove keyboard and avoid shell form and you have a cheaper device.

I was against keyboard at the beginning, but after using it, for me keyboard is just basic, and the touch keyboard is not as comfy as it should be. And I was against the use of keyboard, but now is a must for me. Anyhow, if you look something without a keyboard, smachZ is your choice (if it's released someday....)
Retired

ker

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 02:25:51 pm »

I was against keyboard at the beginning, but after using it, for me keyboard is just basic, and the touch keyboard is not as comfy as it should be. And I was against the use of keyboard, but now is a must for me. Anyhow, if you look something without a keyboard, smachZ is your choice (if it's released someday....)
I use it in my Win1, but I could use a virtual keyboard perfectly. It's not "natural" now because of the shell form, but think about PSP/Vita/Swith/tablet/smartphone... If you want a device game, keyboard is not a must.

SmachZ is not an option beacuse it's not a product, so I expect a Win3 wo keyboard.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 03:08:48 pm »
PSP or Vita don't run windows. That's the difference. For me a Virtual keyboard is not a solution at all. Can be handy with bad win 1 keyboard, but with the improved win 2 keyboard for me is a must, and I don't conceive using windows without a keyboard. About win 3, it will depend on how GPD focus, but if they want to continue the UMPC factor, then they wlll use a keyboard too, same as Pandora Pyra,.
Retired

Alien Grey

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 03:16:54 pm »

I use it in my Win1, but I could use a virtual keyboard perfectly. It's not "natural" now because of the shell form, but think about PSP/Vita/Swith/tablet/smartphone... If you want a device game, keyboard is not a must.

SmachZ is not an option beacuse it's not a product, so I expect a Win3 wo keyboard.

I agree with Skelton. A physical keyboard is a MUST for a Windows gaming device. You just need it for playing old Windows games and emulators. A good example why a virtual keyboard isn't a good idea is ScummVM for the Dingoo. It still gets updated and you can still use it except for the virtual keyboard. That part is broken and developers didn't know it and now nobody cares to fix it. That makes playing a lot of ScummVM games on the Dingoo impossible because you can't save your progress without a keyboard.

That's just one example but I'm sure there's going to be a lot more and no developer is going to care if you can't use your virtual keyboard on a Windows device.

For the GPD Win 3. I wouldn't mind if it's more like a GPD Win 1.x as long as they keep it affordable. I like my GPD Win and I would like to upgrade it but for me the GPD Win 2 is too expensive.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

SONY (OP)

• !
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 03:39:26 pm »
Use a Bluetooth KB or USB KB.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

Skelton-retired

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 03:57:14 pm »

that removes the purpose of a handheld or umpc. Can be a good idea if GPD makes a Win tab or something though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:03:39 pm by skelton »
Retired

AVahne

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 05:08:49 pm »
Completely agree with Skelton, keyboard is a must. Having everything integrated into one device is the only reason the product line exists in the first place. Cutting out a built in keyboard would limit the device to playing ONLY console ports and retro home console emulation. That's fine for a small segment of their current market, but it'll hurt everyone else including the Chinese and Japanese who tend to play a lot of MMOs and who are GPD's main markets.

AVahne

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 05:10:23 pm »
That kind of tip goes both ways. Just get a Windows tablet and a BT or USB game controller.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:16:37 pm by AVahne »

redlemon

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 07:52:20 pm »
I was against a keyboard on the Win one but after getting one it really is handy since even a lot of games with proper controller supports still have  quirks which are easier to deal with when you have a real keyboard.

ker

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 10:20:31 pm »
Completely agree with Skelton, keyboard is a must. Having everything integrated into one device is the only reason the product line exists in the first place. Cutting out a built in keyboard would limit the device to playing ONLY console ports and retro home console emulation. That's fine for a small segment of their current market, but it'll hurt everyone else including the Chinese and Japanese who tend to play a lot of MMOs and who are GPD's main markets.
A LOT of games are gamepad compatible... A LOT. And with 5 or 6 extra buttons you can map and play 99% of not gamepad compatible games. A keyboard is a nice addition, but you can use windows without it. It has a tablet mode for some reason.

ker

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 10:22:00 pm »

I agree with Skelton. A physical keyboard is a MUST for a Windows gaming device. You just need it for playing old Windows games and emulators. A good example why a virtual keyboard isn't a good idea is ScummVM for the Dingoo. It still gets updated and you can still use it except for the virtual keyboard. That part is broken and developers didn't know it and now nobody cares to fix it. That makes playing a lot of ScummVM games on the Dingoo impossible because you can't save your progress without a keyboard.

That's just one example but I'm sure there's going to be a lot more and no developer is going to care if you can't use your virtual keyboard on a Windows device.

For the GPD Win 3. I wouldn't mind if it's more like a GPD Win 1.x as long as they keep it affordable. I like my GPD Win and I would like to upgrade it but for me the GPD Win 2 is too expensive.
I play ScummVM games in a mobile. Also in a GPD XD. No problem at all. It works just fine.

Alien Grey

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 08:50:15 am »

I play ScummVM games in a mobile. Also in a GPD XD. No problem at all. It works just fine.

Windows isn't Android. Android is build to run without a keyboard and although Windows can it isn't. I'm pretty sure that if for some reason you won't be able to call the virtual keyboard when you need it for the application you're running the answer is also going to be "Use a physical keyboard".

The GPD Win is a great device as it is. All it needs is improved battery/charging and improved cooling. Everything else isn't imported. It doesn't need to be as powerful as the GPD Win 2 as long as it doesn't cost a lot more than a GPD Win.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

ker

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 09:26:27 am »

Windows isn't Android. Android is build to run without a keyboard and although Windows can it isn't. I'm pretty sure that if for some reason you won't be able to call the virtual keyboard when you need it for the application you're running the answer is also going to be "Use a physical keyboard".

The GPD Win is a great device as it is. All it needs is improved battery/charging and improved cooling. Everything else isn't imported. It doesn't need to be as powerful as the GPD Win 2 as long as it doesn't cost a lot more than a GPD Win.
Are you talking about Windows 3.11? It's 2018 now... We've Windows smartphones and tablets. Do you mean they are totally unusable w/o keyboard? o_O

If you want to play a game that need a keyboard, you have right analogue to simulate a mouse, left analogue to simulate wasd, dpad (4), ABXY (4), L1/L2/L3 (3), R1/R2/R3 (3), Select/Start (2)... 16 buttons you can map to keys/mouse!! Add a back button and you can map 32 keys with Controller Companion! How many games really need more than 32 keys to be played? 0.01%? none?

I understand you guys feel comfortable with a keyboard. I'm sure you also use Win1/Win2 as UMPC. I don't. I use it to play Steam games (GUI gamepad compatible) and RetroArch (also gamepad compatible).

It's not so difficult to understand someone has different needs.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 09:55:17 am »
in that case that a simple windows tablet with a gamepad attached makes the same purpose to you. I personally prefer it as it is, but as you say, different needs.
Retired

siegel17701

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 10:44:52 am »
If a company would release a windows gaming tablet with gaming focused specs, that would be great. Closest we ever got was Razer Edge but that failed miserably.

An 8 inch tablet with Win specs or close would be the sweet spot. But it would probably light on fire after a few hours.

SONY (OP)

• !
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 12:37:29 pm »
Dear, GPD...

#NoKBplease
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

Alien Grey

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 02:14:24 pm »
I understand you guys feel comfortable with a keyboard. I'm sure you also use Win1/Win2 as UMPC.

That's right and also because it doesn't matter if Windows 10 is from 2018. A lot of the applications and games aren't so I won't let you remove my keyboard.  ;D

Edit: And I also forgot to say that I HATE greasy fingers on my screen.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:19:14 pm by Alien Grey »

ker

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 06:09:47 pm »
Dear, GPD...

#NoKBplease
+1 

I understand you guys feel comfortable with a keyboard. I'm sure you also use Win1/Win2 as UMPC.

That's right and also because it doesn't matter if Windows 10 is from 2018. A lot of the applications and games aren't so I won't let you remove my keyboard.  ;D

Edit: And I also forgot to say that I HATE greasy fingers on my screen.

XDDD That's a good point

Faust

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 07:52:36 pm »
Some games like TES OBLIVION or TES SKYRIM don't allow binding from other software unless you download the right mod (obse for oblivion), for exemple you can't increase/lower sound or even Alt F4 to quite the game. Don't even think about using virtual Keyboard with those games, it won't even pop on the screen (everything on gpd win 2).

Envoy? de mon G8441 en utilisant Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:12:28 pm by Faust »