Author Topic: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything  (Read 239271 times)

Derek712

Re: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything
« Reply #2085 on: July 13, 2018, 08:19:09 pm »
I WARN YOU MAN... TRUST ME... The last owner messed this unit up bad...

When I opened it up... You see, I was using mine and the bottom screws fell out as I was using it due to the fan vibration inside the case... Yeah... Wow... Right? I had to investigate after that happened! I was excited because I too hated the buttons! Then I discovered the horror!

The plastic they used in the secure mounts that hold the screws... Crumbled... It is the cheapest recycled plastic I have ever seen... Look... Here are pics...

After those break... The unit will not seal and close properly... You need it tight for the keyboard and game controllers/etc to work properly...

Also when they break your screwdriver can slide into the PCB and scratch/damage it... The corners of my 2nd 7Y30 board are messed up due to this happening with the last owner I assume. I mean I am careful but the damage was already done... The main issue to worry about is the secondary board... That has a few screw/mounts and they break right off... That plastic is so cheap that the pieces break when I use my thumb to apply pressure... Imagine the heat's effect as you use it man!

I just feel this is not worth $700-900 man. My GPD Win 1 could be taken apart all day long and modded! The last owner had no clue how much this thing had changed... I feel bad for both of us... The last guy and me... He was so sad to sell it and he told me he was upset at the Win2 and the quality... Now I know why... Asshole should have told me!

Could have crumbled due to the previous person not knowing what they were doing and over torquing the crap out of the screws...  That's why I'm asking.  I need someone who's opened it first hand for the first time.

Radioboy86

« Reply #2086 on: July 13, 2018, 08:24:30 pm »
I am telling you man, Some of the mounts were already broken YES...

However... Some were not and they BROKE when I took it apart to investigate as well... I have felt the plastic man... It is cheap like cookie crumbles... I mean... I have taken apart the Win 1 tons of times and no issues... Same with the XD units. I repair laptops for God's sake... I also make/design custom VR game gun controllers for the company that OEM sourced the Delta Six gun... I am not an idiot. I know what I am doing. I solder solenoids and all that crap... This device is not well made... Those mounts break like they are already cracked...

The plastic was not properly cured off the manufacturing line... It is like when you quench and temper/weld metal... You have to do it right or you get cracks/breaks in the material...

Trust me... Take it apart at your own risk... The little gold rings get stuck and and the plastic that surrounds them breaks with very little force... It is just cheap plastic mounts man.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:27:48 pm by Radioboy86 »

Radioboy86

« Reply #2087 on: July 13, 2018, 08:30:24 pm »
The gold rings that lock and secure are surrounded by the cheap/uncured plastic mounts... When you apply force... They break all over and the device will never close properly again. Never had issues with any laptop I have repaired... Never had this happen except with a little cheap Chinese Dingoo/JXD rippoff game player from 2008. I expect that to have such cheap parts... It was $20 back in the day...

This thing costs $700-900! Not acceptable...

Phawx (OP)

« Reply #2088 on: July 13, 2018, 08:56:10 pm »
Has anyone done a teardown and taken pictures?  Compared to taking apart my MSI GS65, it can't be that hard, can it?

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDfP8UugNzk

Please note: You do NOT have to remove the LCD or the Battery to get to the ABXY buttons.  This is just a complete teardown.  Likewise, you don't even have to remove the heatsink or fan.  That whole part is on a daughter board.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:59:15 pm by Phawx »

Radioboy86

« Reply #2089 on: July 13, 2018, 09:04:25 pm »
THAT IS NOT A RETAIL UNIT...

That is a/the prototype... God knows how much they cut costs on the RETAIL units when mass manufacturing them...

PHAWX admits there is physical differences between the two. The prototypes had proper ABXY buttons too... I can tell you that I too watched this video and followed it correctly... I hope the previous owner did too... Still, I am telling you GPD is known for bad QC and not doing things 100% proper. It is very very very probable that the plastic that is breaking was not molded with care and time. GPD rushes production and only after people complain do they ATTEMPT to fix the issues and then sometimes fail completely at it!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:16:51 pm by Radioboy86 »

Radioboy86

« Reply #2090 on: July 13, 2018, 09:06:43 pm »
Please note: You do NOT have to remove the LCD or the Battery to get to the ABXY buttons.  This is just a complete teardown.  Likewise, you don't even have to remove the heatsink or fan.  That whole part is on a daughter board.

PHAWX is correct. You only have to remove the Mainboard and Daughterboard + the additional little parts in the way. The LCD and such are on the separate part of the design.

Let me warn you all again, the analog sticks have ribbon connectors and my unit's analog connectors have been ripped off... Last guy was an idiot... Or just not careful? So beware... Take your time with this... Do not be like the previous owner of my gimped Win2. To be honest I cannot recommend you take this apart. If you have bad ABXY buttons return the unit and wait for a fix from GPD to address a redesign with shorter GPD 1 like buttons...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:20:28 pm by Radioboy86 »

Lazy Bunny

• My imgur stuff, including projects.
« Reply #2091 on: July 13, 2018, 10:22:05 pm »
Radioboy86, it really does seem like you just have the worst luck. For the way it sounds, is you bought used "for parts" units off ebay or what ever. Just seems like a whole bunch of people that don't know what they're doing.
Name's Kiera. Feel free to check out some of my projects.
https://djinny.imgur.com/

Radioboy86

« Reply #2092 on: July 13, 2018, 10:27:12 pm »
Okay... Well how about you go and help the OEM company that worked with AVENGER design/craft the Delta Six VR game controller that uses/adapts many features of SEGA's Ghost Squad recoil engine and effects... I know what I am doing... I tried to make the most of what someone else has done... I take my time when I do these things... I never rush. The unit seems cheap to me. The previous owner simply assumed he could fix it... He found out the hard way... I got "LUCKY" by buying the great deal that was $660 for what was listed on Ebay as a brand NEW and only used 2 times Win2... Pictures looked perfect... I got scammed... I wish GPD would just humor me and send me a new unit for free with my design suggestions for shorter/improved ABXY buttons/membranes. I still lost $660 because the last owner was frustrated with their bad design of the ABXY buttons. Many agree with me... Most Ebay sellers are selling because of this issue. The simple fix is to use the GPD 1 buttons that are shorter... Problem is that taking the unit apart may break the mounts that hold it together... Then... You cannot seal it tight and the whole thing is loose and not usable...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:31:34 pm by Radioboy86 »

Lazy Bunny

• My imgur stuff, including projects.
« Reply #2093 on: July 14, 2018, 12:25:45 am »
If you got scammed, take it up with ebay, or paypal, or the seller.
I'm sorry this happened to you. You lost $660 because you bought a damaged unit, and didn't immediately take it up with ebay. This isn't GPD's fault. The buttons they used, has nothing to do with you buying a damaged unit.

I've taken my win2 apart a few times, and had no problems with anything breaking. I regularly work on laptops, so working on the win2 wasn't much different.

Again, there is no business between you and GPD. This is between you and the ebay seller. Personally, i don't want GPD to humor you with a new unit for free, or even an exchange. This has nothing to do with them, and they shouldn't pay for this. So go get a refund from the ebay seller. If you can't, or won't. Then tough cookies, you're out of luck. This is the risk of buying from ebay.
Name's Kiera. Feel free to check out some of my projects.
https://djinny.imgur.com/

Radioboy86

« Reply #2094 on: July 14, 2018, 01:32:02 am »
Glad to see you care there amigo... Listen you all can just humor GPD again and again with their crappy QC and build issues... I am just going to stop buying from them. I used my GPD Win 1 today and my JXD S7800B and to be honest... Those are just better for gaming and usage... GPD Win 1 is still a niche device and I really do not even see a use in having it. I mean android on a nice 7" screen is just more enjoyable. The 6" GPD Win 2 screen is nice but feels much smaller compared to using my JXD S7800B. To each their own... I am done. Ebay has not helped me and I have the case open still... the bank is not helping me...

Maybe you guys should show some compassion and see I am being honest and reasonable... If you want to dickride GPD and keep enabling them in making products with bad build quality fine... I am done...

The GPD Win 2 is just a niche device... Sorry... It just is... Maybe if a REAL company made it, the quality would be better.

I am serious and I an not humoring arguing with anyone here. My situation is my own and if you guys cannot consider my feelings and the evidence I have shown to you... Then fine... Good luck with this device. I am just going to fight bank and not repair this heap!

Radioboy86

« Reply #2095 on: July 14, 2018, 01:52:31 am »
Also, consider yourself FORTUNATE... How do you know that my GPD Win2 batch did not have uncured/weak plastic screw mounts, and your unit had proper cured/molded screw mounts? You do realize that GPD has many batches and they are not equal in quality due to time restraints. They RUSH the batches when supply lines are needed for orders... So let me make this clear "Lazy Bunny" You do not know as much as you may think you do... Think about it...

You don't... So maybe you should not judge people like me and similar situations like mine...

It is not very hospitable to make my situation worse by encouraging GPD to NOT help me... I mean what is your deal man? Why can't you just be happy your batch is fine and help people like me that got screwed?

*The Ebay seller's account has been removed too... Ebay is jerking me around too... The bank is not helping either... This is my business... BUT, I thought I should clear all this up... Now do you see my frustration?! $660 is a lot of $$$.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:54:42 am by Radioboy86 »

kendyzhu777

« Reply #2096 on: July 14, 2018, 06:59:09 am »
If you got scammed, take it up with ebay, or paypal, or the seller.
I'm sorry this happened to you. You lost $660 because you bought a damaged unit, and didn't immediately take it up with ebay. This isn't GPD's fault. The buttons they used, has nothing to do with you buying a damaged unit.

I've taken my win2 apart a few times, and had no problems with anything breaking. I regularly work on laptops, so working on the win2 wasn't much different.

Again, there is no business between you and GPD. This is between you and the ebay seller. Personally, i don't want GPD to humor you with a new unit for free, or even an exchange. This has nothing to do with them, and they shouldn't pay for this. So go get a refund from the ebay seller. If you can't, or won't. Then tough cookies, you're out of luck. This is the risk of buying from ebay.
In fact we have still will do warranty to him as we relied him in his hundred email, even he bought the unit as second hand.
We just will charge him which part is lost and damaged by man, if all right so that he just need pay ship cost and the others we will repair him free as warranty, but seems he don't want to do this way.
Until now we have no idea how did he made it and we also don't know his unit situation, which part is lost? which is damaged, we told him to send us picture or video but you know..., we just heard whole complain with thousand words.
How should we do if you were us?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:05:19 am by kendyzhu777 »

Radioboy86

« Reply #2097 on: July 14, 2018, 07:59:43 am »
Listen GPD! I sent my GPD Win 1 I bought 2 years ago to you and you said you never got it in the mail! I am not risking that again! I need to have this done in the USA... I think you should be more responsible and take accountability for the bad buttons! PHAWX even says the prototype units did NOT have such issues! What about the broken Wifi cards that need soldering in some batches? What about bad/cheap membranes?

GPD needs to understand that MANY people with certain BATCHES have the same issues as I have had! I am asking those on Ebay to test for these issues! Some people have admitted that is why they are selling theirs! These people are selling their units on Ebay as NEW without any info on the issues, when in fact they just cannot use the device thanks to bad buttons and other issues like broken WIFI! People like me assume that the unit is FINE and they just decided they wont use like they planned... Truth is they are not happy with build batches they may have been sent.

Skelton says that Spanish IGG backers have ZERO issues! Something is up with other batches! This is just like the GPD Win 1 and it's mushy buttons... Except this time MUCH worse! Kendy, I appreciate you offering to help me... I do think you care... I just cannot understand why GPD has so many QC issues with defective parts and manufacturing...

YOU need to realize that I cannot risk another GPD Win unit again! I sent my z8700 model to you after I got a defective unit 2 years ago... You guys never sent it back and I lost the unit... How can I risk that again?

If I could go back in TIME and buy from you directly I WOULD! However at that time prices everywhere were $800 or more! I thought $660 for a NEW unit was a good deal from Ebay... Turns out it was not GOOD, in fact a nightmare... I know you say you will repair it for me... It still costs me any parts too! The last owner messed up the casing/shell and the daughter-board that controls the SD card/Realtek Audio + the analogs! This is a nightmare for me... Do I really need to explain why I do NOT want to spend $80 to send this again and have it get lost and have a repeat of losing another device in the mail?!

So yeah, I am not happy... GPD has had a BAD history of defective devices and always has to rectify the "bad" batches of all their models and products... I am sorry... People are spending $700-900 on this Win2 and it is just a big risk... I have people tell me that some video of a guy taking his Win2 apart proves that the units are not using cheap plastic?! How can you know what batch he has?! I mean the prototypes are NOT the same as retail units! How can these people even think they know these things...

I know that GPD has many batches of these... I know that my unit had such brittle screw mounts they broke with almost NO FORCE... THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! I know what I am doing... I do this all the time and I know to be careful and be gentle! Only 2 mounts were broken from the last owner... When I took it apart and investigated the unit... I had 10 more mounts become crumbled and destroyed! These brittle parts had the gold lock/ring fallen out of the plastic mount! This batch did not use properly made plastic, the molding/curing was not done properly! I know GPD rushes the batches as they get new orders and demand from buyers wanting shipped units!

So... What more can I do? I simple just want to send this unit to you for scrap and parts... I rather you made a NEW model with buttons revised... SHORTER ABXY buttons... I would want that GPD Win2 as my own... I mean I am not being unreasonable! My unit is 90% perfect, just needs new casing and the daughterboard that costs $70. I DO NOT WANT IT FIXED... I want GPD to make a NEW revision for the buttons design and send me that one for my help and to help me after the hell I have gone through! I support GPD... I have 5 of their devices... Well, 4 now... My 2'nd XD just died and the battery change did not work... So yeah... I am not happy with GPD in general as far as build quality goes!

I would hate to see them close doors like JXD... That would suck... I mean GPD needs to step it up! This thing is costing us all $700-900!!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:07:35 am by Radioboy86 »

Radioboy86

« Reply #2098 on: July 14, 2018, 08:30:00 am »
You know what? I give up. GPD is not a bad company... They just need to make better choices and have better QC. If you guys want buy the GPD Win 2... Do it... Maybe the new units will be fixed in future batches thanks to my bitching? Enjoy your GPD Win 2. I am glad you have one that works and I hope all future buyers will keep theirs and not sell them on Ebay to people like me due to bad buttons and or defects/issues... Thanks for hearing me. I just was trying to warn you all in case you had the same issues... I am just too stressed to deal with this anymore. 2 years ago I went through this and lost my GPD Win 1 unit in hopes that GPD could fix it... They never got it and the unit was lost in the mail... I lost the expensive postage and the unit itself... I ended up buying another unit because I wanted it so bad... To make matters worse... My "good" later revision XD unit just died and a new battery did not fix it... I am done. Good luck to you all...

*UPDATE*

Yeah... I am done for good! GPD tried to send me a "gift". Some odd metal back part of the SSD cover for a Win 2. This is supposed to be sent as a gift? It is like a $20 value... They also said they will start to bring their "lawyers" into this discussion and will make me remove my bad comments/posts/photos involving the Win 2? What are they thinking? They also said they have documents and proof of their good/proper manufacturing process? We all agree... GPD is not known for good QC... They are "interesting" and innovative risk takers and that is it...

I am just done guys... They are not understanding me... I have articulated it perfect and they are clueless... I cannot send the unit for repair as my bank may need the unit for evidence in my $660 charge-back case... I sent a GPD Win 1 to China 2 years ago for GPD to repair... It was lost... I lost that money and shipping too... My XD just broke... Etc...

I foresee GPD being gone very soon with the problems they have with QC, Customer service and bad manufacturing...
That is it. I give this post back to whoever wants to discuss the Win2... Me? I am done...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:22:12 am by Radioboy86 »

chdcchris

« Reply #2099 on: July 14, 2018, 05:48:27 pm »
I've never had any issues with GPD devices (even in first batches) whatsoever, and I think they make amazing devices. This ofcourse does not prove anything, but why do you keep blaming GPD, while you got scammed on ebay for a bad unit?

And seriously, why can't you explain in one simple sentence what you want GPD to do in this case?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic