Author Topic: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything  (Read 230558 times)

SONY

Re: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything
« Reply #1935 on: February 19, 2018, 07:29:50 pm »
I have owned in the past the GPD Win 1, Open Pandora and Shield Portable, Except from the GPD (Being new) I have had the LCD screen on them go because of the ribbon, I am a little wary of this now, The Shield is dead weight because you cant buy parts for it anymore, Anyone else worry about this?

I'm not worried, because I'm pretty sure that the Win 2's build quality, inside (ribbon and all) and outside is amazing. 💯
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:31:22 pm by SONY »
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

Crin_Coral

« Reply #1936 on: February 20, 2018, 01:03:57 pm »
https://liliputing.com/2018/02/t-bao-tbook-x8s-pro-is-an-apollo-lake-laptop-with-nvidia-graphics.html
Maybe we could get a MX110 or MX130 for the GPD Win 3 bundled with an Apollo Lake CPU or Core M CPU. Probably won't happen, but at least someone out there is proving it can be done. Although you'd need 2 fans, a dedicated low watt Nvidia could be pretty cool in a handheld.  8)

While glimpsing over here now and then, i have to comment on the current line of thoughts...

I consider this thinking over a discrete GPU or similar ideas... highly bizarre, if not stupid.
What advantage shall that bring? Grouping a highly overpriced SoC which already has an GPU with another extra GPU
that adds on costs and complexity. Even two fans are in thought.
Complete BS.

While i skipped the Win2 for its to expensive SoC, ( which could have been a i5-7y57 instead of M3-7y30 for ~10$ more ),
i wonder why no one is looking for AMD ? ???

Thats all we need. Their 15W Ryzen/Vega combination, should declassify every Intel-C..p, and even offer
GPU-Drivers best suited for gaming, getting all out of the machine.

They have an configurerable TDP which also gets down to 7W.
And  the SoC, might just be half the costs of the current one in the Win2, by having much higher perfomance in Graphics and a bit in processing power.

So the engineers are left with 2 issues...
Can we get the cooling so improved to enable 15W while in charging mode
and is there a way to integrate HBM2-Type memory?

Thats what i would wish for in the Win3:

- If possible: clickable Sticks.
- Manual fan switch like in Win1, so it can stop sucking dust when just browsing, playing MP3 or Videos.
- A 1920x1080p Panel, should be similar cheap to the current, because of massproduction in smartphones.
- That AMD Ryzen SoC - With either 8-12 GB HBM(2) OR 12-16 GB of DDR4 Ram (either fast or large),
  so the grahic can use up to 6 GB without being bottlenecked by System Memory.

The current Win2-Design is very good in my eyes, it should just be reused or little improved.

Please stop this, we need an extra discrete GPU, its getting us nowhere, and think of whats being able at hands,
without throwing out US$ 300-400 for the overpriced Intel-SoC.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:28:50 pm by Crin_Coral »

Crin_Coral

« Reply #1937 on: February 20, 2018, 01:11:21 pm »
You could also offer a second cheaper version without integrated M2-SSD, so everone could buy/use/reuse
what they might have left over from their Win2, or other hardware purchases.
Just supply a serial Number or Downloadlink for the Win10 (image) then, and thats it.
Wouldn?t that be worth a thought?

Phawx (OP)

« Reply #1938 on: February 20, 2018, 08:06:32 pm »
So to answer a few of your questions. 

7Y30 is used because it's the only option available.  GPD doesn't have the funds to place a bulk order with Intel for any chip they want.  7Y30 is the only chip that is *cheap* and available in *low quantity*

GPD doesn't pay $291 for the chip.  We don't know how much they pay but estimates are around $160.

AMD wasn't an option because they *still* don't technically have anything sub-15w available.  And the Win2 does not cool 12w-15w very well.

People that are talking about dGPU are just daydreaming.  Don't read too much into it.

The reason there is only *one* version of the Win2 is because of cost/complexity.  GPD is a small company and reducing complexity allows them to have greater velocity when assembling.  That's the main reason.  Talking about multiple versions and tiers isn't something GPD can do at the moment.  It just adds costs/complexity for benefit to consumer and all detriment to themselves when selling a niche device.

The Win2 will most likely sell <100k units.  Which would be a massive success for GPD but those numbers would be a gigantic failure for any big company.  The IGG might only *just* get up to 4k units.

Additionally, provided the Win2 does well enough that GPD can consider to do a Win3, I feel AMD will be an appropriate avenue to explore and would be amazing if we could leverage HBM3 memory in 2020.

Right now, The Win2 is a really amazing device at 7 watts.  (I personally recommend undervolting and hitting 8.25w)

R2112

« Reply #1939 on: February 21, 2018, 02:59:39 am »
Sorry guys, I didn't realize we couldn't talk about anything else except AMD APU's for the future anymore. I'll refrain from posting any other cool alternative that may come up, even if it was always stated that it probably wouldn't happen, and was just for fun.

Neuromant

« Reply #1940 on: February 21, 2018, 11:53:16 am »
Well, of course everyone here would really love a powerful handheld the size of Win 1/2 with good battery life, i7 and a geforce 1080 inside. Just at the moment with the current technology this is as much sci-fi as an Aperture Science Portal gun :)
So I think we should most accurately think and talk about the most likely candidates for Win 3 processors and just generally the areas for improvement in a potential successor for the GPD Win lineup.

siegel17701

« Reply #1941 on: February 21, 2018, 10:23:45 pm »
Well, of course everyone here would really love a powerful handheld the size of Win 1/2 with good battery life, i7 and a geforce 1080 inside. Just at the moment with the current technology this is as much sci-fi as an Aperture Science Portal gun :)
So I think we should most accurately think and talk about the most likely candidates for Win 3 processors and just generally the areas for improvement in a potential successor for the GPD Win lineup.
Keep posting, Screw the Haters!

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

Phawx (OP)

« Reply #1942 on: February 21, 2018, 11:20:05 pm »
Sorry guys, I didn't realize we couldn't talk about anything else except AMD APU's for the future anymore. I'll refrain from posting any other cool alternative that may come up, even if it was always stated that it probably wouldn't happen, and was just for fun.

By all means keep posting.  I have pie in the sky wishes as well and I'll post about them  ;D

Lazy Bunny

• My imgur stuff, including projects.
« Reply #1943 on: February 22, 2018, 03:57:16 am »
For me, the #1 thing i'd have like to have seen, was instead of a 2242 m.2, have a 2280 NVME M.2
I don't know how or where they could have squeezed it in, but it's the only thing i'd have liked to have seen.
2242 SSDs are expensive if you want name brand. But quality high performance 2280's are considerably cheaper. 500GB NVME 2280s for the same price as 256GB 2242s.

The i5 7y57 isn't enough of an improvement to really bother me. But i guess the minor clock increases could be the difference between playable framerates and not.

Ryzen APUs are kinda new, kinda big, and just a tad too power hungry. But maybe for GPD Win 3 in a couple years. Would be pretty cool to play at 1080p high settings on a mobile.
Name's Kiera. Feel free to check out some of my projects.
https://djinny.imgur.com/

Neuromant

« Reply #1944 on: February 22, 2018, 12:37:05 pm »
I think if they start planning to make Win 3, they won't decide on a processor until like 9-12 months before crowdfunding and before that it will all be about other advances

AVahne

« Reply #1945 on: February 23, 2018, 04:00:18 am »
For me, the #1 thing i'd have like to have seen, was instead of a 2242 m.2, have a 2280 NVME M.2
I don't know how or where they could have squeezed it in, but it's the only thing i'd have liked to have seen.
2242 SSDs are expensive if you want name brand. But quality high performance 2280's are considerably cheaper. 500GB NVME 2280s for the same price as 256GB 2242s.

The i5 7y57 isn't enough of an improvement to really bother me. But i guess the minor clock increases could be the difference between playable framerates and not.

Ryzen APUs are kinda new, kinda big, and just a tad too power hungry. But maybe for GPD Win 3 in a couple years. Would be pretty cool to play at 1080p high settings on a mobile.

Even if they got passed the size issue with that, an NVME drive would turn the Win 2 into a lava nugget.

AVahne

« Reply #1946 on: February 23, 2018, 04:04:09 am »
While AMD would be nice, like Phawx says we still need to wait for them to release a competent chip that requires less than 15W power while providing better performance and value than the Intel equivalent.
Not only that, we'd need for there to be supplier in China who'd be willing to buy up a ton AMD chips to sell to smaller companies like GPD for a reasonable price and for AMD to be willing to sell to China in the first place.

NTMBK

« Reply #1947 on: February 23, 2018, 09:24:10 am »
While AMD would be nice, like Phawx says we still need to wait for them to release a competent chip that requires less than 15W power while providing better performance and value than the Intel equivalent.
Not only that, we'd need for there to be supplier in China who'd be willing to buy up a ton AMD chips to sell to smaller companies like GPD for a reasonable price and for AMD to be willing to sell to China in the first place.

AMD's embedded Ryzen chips have configurable TDPs down to 12W: https://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-launches-epyc-embedded-2018feb21.aspx Though sadly they don't seem to have LPDDR4X support, which would help with power consumption.

Faust

« Reply #1948 on: February 23, 2018, 11:31:23 am »
12w is still too high for base performances, for base performances you need something that can be lowered around 7w at least.

skelton

« Reply #1949 on: February 23, 2018, 12:57:45 pm »
I rarely use win 2 at more than 9W because It only generate more heat and not better performance. No surprise smach people put that big fan in it. 
Retired