Author Topic: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything  (Read 253142 times)

Neuromant

Re: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything
« Reply #1940 on: February 21, 2018, 11:53:16 am »
Well, of course everyone here would really love a powerful handheld the size of Win 1/2 with good battery life, i7 and a geforce 1080 inside. Just at the moment with the current technology this is as much sci-fi as an Aperture Science Portal gun :)
So I think we should most accurately think and talk about the most likely candidates for Win 3 processors and just generally the areas for improvement in a potential successor for the GPD Win lineup.

siegel17701

« Reply #1941 on: February 21, 2018, 10:23:45 pm »
Well, of course everyone here would really love a powerful handheld the size of Win 1/2 with good battery life, i7 and a geforce 1080 inside. Just at the moment with the current technology this is as much sci-fi as an Aperture Science Portal gun :)
So I think we should most accurately think and talk about the most likely candidates for Win 3 processors and just generally the areas for improvement in a potential successor for the GPD Win lineup.
Keep posting, Screw the Haters!

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

Phawx (OP)

« Reply #1942 on: February 21, 2018, 11:20:05 pm »
Sorry guys, I didn't realize we couldn't talk about anything else except AMD APU's for the future anymore. I'll refrain from posting any other cool alternative that may come up, even if it was always stated that it probably wouldn't happen, and was just for fun.

By all means keep posting.  I have pie in the sky wishes as well and I'll post about them  ;D

Lazy Bunny

• My imgur stuff, including projects.
« Reply #1943 on: February 22, 2018, 03:57:16 am »
For me, the #1 thing i'd have like to have seen, was instead of a 2242 m.2, have a 2280 NVME M.2
I don't know how or where they could have squeezed it in, but it's the only thing i'd have liked to have seen.
2242 SSDs are expensive if you want name brand. But quality high performance 2280's are considerably cheaper. 500GB NVME 2280s for the same price as 256GB 2242s.

The i5 7y57 isn't enough of an improvement to really bother me. But i guess the minor clock increases could be the difference between playable framerates and not.

Ryzen APUs are kinda new, kinda big, and just a tad too power hungry. But maybe for GPD Win 3 in a couple years. Would be pretty cool to play at 1080p high settings on a mobile.
Name's Kiera. Feel free to check out some of my projects.
https://djinny.imgur.com/

Neuromant

« Reply #1944 on: February 22, 2018, 12:37:05 pm »
I think if they start planning to make Win 3, they won't decide on a processor until like 9-12 months before crowdfunding and before that it will all be about other advances

AVahne

« Reply #1945 on: February 23, 2018, 04:00:18 am »
For me, the #1 thing i'd have like to have seen, was instead of a 2242 m.2, have a 2280 NVME M.2
I don't know how or where they could have squeezed it in, but it's the only thing i'd have liked to have seen.
2242 SSDs are expensive if you want name brand. But quality high performance 2280's are considerably cheaper. 500GB NVME 2280s for the same price as 256GB 2242s.

The i5 7y57 isn't enough of an improvement to really bother me. But i guess the minor clock increases could be the difference between playable framerates and not.

Ryzen APUs are kinda new, kinda big, and just a tad too power hungry. But maybe for GPD Win 3 in a couple years. Would be pretty cool to play at 1080p high settings on a mobile.

Even if they got passed the size issue with that, an NVME drive would turn the Win 2 into a lava nugget.

AVahne

« Reply #1946 on: February 23, 2018, 04:04:09 am »
While AMD would be nice, like Phawx says we still need to wait for them to release a competent chip that requires less than 15W power while providing better performance and value than the Intel equivalent.
Not only that, we'd need for there to be supplier in China who'd be willing to buy up a ton AMD chips to sell to smaller companies like GPD for a reasonable price and for AMD to be willing to sell to China in the first place.

NTMBK

« Reply #1947 on: February 23, 2018, 09:24:10 am »
While AMD would be nice, like Phawx says we still need to wait for them to release a competent chip that requires less than 15W power while providing better performance and value than the Intel equivalent.
Not only that, we'd need for there to be supplier in China who'd be willing to buy up a ton AMD chips to sell to smaller companies like GPD for a reasonable price and for AMD to be willing to sell to China in the first place.

AMD's embedded Ryzen chips have configurable TDPs down to 12W: https://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-launches-epyc-embedded-2018feb21.aspx Though sadly they don't seem to have LPDDR4X support, which would help with power consumption.

Faust

« Reply #1948 on: February 23, 2018, 11:31:23 am »
12w is still too high for base performances, for base performances you need something that can be lowered around 7w at least.

skelton

« Reply #1949 on: February 23, 2018, 12:57:45 pm »
I rarely use win 2 at more than 9W because It only generate more heat and not better performance. No surprise smach people put that big fan in it. 
Retired

Lazy Bunny

« Reply #1950 on: February 23, 2018, 05:11:09 pm »
Even if they got passed the size issue with that, an NVME drive would turn the Win 2 into a lava nugget.
Maybe.. But either way, having a 2280 would be soo much nicer. There's a larger selection and they are cheaper. As for the heating. That could possibly be solved with just more ventilation holes on the bottom.

Phawx (OP)

« Reply #1951 on: February 23, 2018, 05:29:53 pm »
What's great about all of these decidedly "high-end" handhelds coming out is the requirements to reconcile battery/heat problems that are posed in tight spaces.

Honestly looking at the Win2, it is JAM PACKED.  To fit a 10000mAh battery, heatsink/fan, 2242 SSD, 6in screen, complete gaming controls and keyboard inside of 162x99x25mm. 

Exploring different options in the future is going to be a necessity.  They might have to figure out how to have SATA wiring going through the hinge and have 2280 or 22110 drives behind the screen.  This way the screen component isn't too heavy and we can scale the heatsink+fan to accomodate for a 15w part.

Having said that, we would need 20mAh battery to have the same battery life with a 15w part.  A 2x increase in battery size will be noticeable somewhere. And that's a big challenge.

I don't know how much bigger a device could get.  Right now the Win2 is about as THICC as I want, to where I can still find it pocket-able.  But almost any dimension we increase, it would really be on the fringe case of "pocket-able"

So, the future will be interesting.  Provided that SmachZ does come out and makes a product that is nice to use, then I think GPD will really have to consider increasing the power envelope.  A LOT can happen in two years.  I hope GPD waits until 2020 when AMD is supposed to launch at 7nm.  At least by then we'll be looking at 2x PS4 levels of gaming perf inside of 15watts.  (I will really try to push for HBM3)

R2112

« Reply #1952 on: February 23, 2018, 08:23:53 pm »
I've often wondered if a Surface Pro style heatsink could help.

For instance,
That one spans the majority of the back of the device and uses up as much space as it can for cooling. Imagine two small, thin fans (if the space could be found for them - one is more plausible) working together with a much more spread out heatsink and maybe that's how GPD could disperse more heat.

[Note the top left where on the i7 version a fan sits]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:28:24 pm by R2112 »

tsog

« Reply #1953 on: February 23, 2018, 09:25:08 pm »
What happened with the SSDs that caused 3 of 8 beta units to fail? Haven't been following the Discord lately and I'm hoping someone can give me a quick rundown on the situation.

3 of 8 sounds like a high failure rate, wondering if I should just buy a more trusted brand SSD and upgrade ASAP when I get the WIN 2.

skelton

« Reply #1954 on: February 23, 2018, 10:31:40 pm »
What happened with the SSDs that caused 3 of 8 beta units to fail? Haven't been following the Discord lately and I'm hoping someone can give me a quick rundown on the situation.

3 of 8 sounds like a high failure rate, wondering if I should just buy a more trusted brand SSD and upgrade ASAP when I get the WIN 2.

there are more than 8 test units, like mine. 8 where the people who bought one. apparently, ssd included had an electric issue, but they will be changed for better SSDs in retail units
Retired

Derek712

« Reply #1955 on: February 24, 2018, 12:36:42 am »
I've often wondered if a Surface Pro style heatsink could help.

For instance,
That one spans the majority of the back of the device and uses up as much space as it can for cooling. Imagine two small, thin fans (if the space could be found for them - one is more plausible) working together with a much more spread out heatsink and maybe that's how GPD could disperse more heat.

[Note the top left where on the i7 version a fan sits]
I'm sure it would help us it were big enough.  There's just not enough space for something like that though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

e114

« Reply #1956 on: February 24, 2018, 03:49:42 am »
GPD WIN 2 prototype gamepad mouse update

Gamepad mouse update
We have adjusted the default of mouse to fast move mode. Press R2 will be slow mode.

How to update:
1. Press watermelon button, then switch gamepad mode into the update mode.
2. Run the update program, click ?update?, after update, please turn off the WIN 2 then turn it on.

https://mega.nz/#!xvwxXCSK!99jj8Fh9rd6idMNpmrSp4H96uwcNKScrlhABtrJTZoo

Lazy Bunny

« Reply #1957 on: February 24, 2018, 06:09:06 am »
The other thing i'd like to have seen is a Thunderbolt Type 3 port, with full PCIe4x bus lanes. For external GPUs and devices.
And the usb ports all be USB 3.1 instead of usb 3.0

NTMBK

« Reply #1958 on: February 24, 2018, 10:09:46 am »
The other thing i'd like to have seen is a Thunderbolt Type 3 port, with full PCIe4x bus lanes. For external GPUs and devices.
And the usb ports all be USB 3.1 instead of usb 3.0

So you want to take the one benefit of a device like this (portability) and throw it in the bin? And spend an extra few hundred dollars on an external GPU enclosure? And pair this discrete GPU with a severally thermally limited CPU? Madness. Just buy a low end desktop and slap a GPU in it.

NTMBK

« Reply #1959 on: February 24, 2018, 10:17:46 am »
What's great about all of these decidedly "high-end" handhelds coming out is the requirements to reconcile battery/heat problems that are posed in tight spaces.

Honestly looking at the Win2, it is JAM PACKED.  To fit a 10000mAh battery, heatsink/fan, 2242 SSD, 6in screen, complete gaming controls and keyboard inside of 162x99x25mm. 

Exploring different options in the future is going to be a necessity.  They might have to figure out how to have SATA wiring going through the hinge and have 2280 or 22110 drives behind the screen.  This way the screen component isn't too heavy and we can scale the heatsink+fan to accomodate for a 15w part.

Having said that, we would need 20mAh battery to have the same battery life with a 15w part.  A 2x increase in battery size will be noticeable somewhere. And that's a big challenge.

I don't know how much bigger a device could get.  Right now the Win2 is about as THICC as I want, to where I can still find it pocket-able.  But almost any dimension we increase, it would really be on the fringe case of "pocket-able"

So, the future will be interesting.  Provided that SmachZ does come out and makes a product that is nice to use, then I think GPD will really have to consider increasing the power envelope.  A LOT can happen in two years.  I hope GPD waits until 2020 when AMD is supposed to launch at 7nm.  At least by then we'll be looking at 2x PS4 levels of gaming perf inside of 15watts.  (I will really try to push for HBM3)

GPD could always explore something like the form factor of the original Shield handheld. That had a lot of room in the controller for batteries and CPU cooling, and was very comfortable to hold.