Author Topic: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything  (Read 217584 times)

Faust

Re: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything
« Reply #1815 on: January 11, 2018, 06:19:51 am »
Phawx, can you play Kingdom Come: Deliverance on the GPD Win 2 when it releases next month, to see if it runs at all?
Just by watching one of the video I can tell you it won't.

Envoy? de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

ruthan

« Reply #1816 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:25 am »
Phawx, can you play Kingdom Come: Deliverance on the GPD Win 2 when it releases next month, to see if it runs at all?

There is only highly unoptimalized more than 1 year old beta.. and i will not run well.. Maybe, maybe full game but i highly doubt it..

e114

« Reply #1817 on: January 12, 2018, 06:09:40 am »
To all GPD user:

Please take notice:

While the GPD Win 2 crowd funding campaign has yet to be initiated, many GPD user has already planning to purchase additional 2242 form factors SSD for the purpose storage upgrade on the GPD WIN 2. However, at GPD, we advise our user to not trying to save money by purchasing lower quality 2242 SSD.

SSD consist of memory controller chip and NAND-based flash memory.

For memory controller found in SSD, there are lower end OEM manufacturer such as Phison or SMI, and also higher end controller such as those from Marvell and Samsung. However, some SSD manufacturer produces their own memory controller chip such Transcend.

There are even more NAND based flash storage found on the market, such as TLC, SLC, and MLC and other less known types of based flash storage chips, the endurance and the amount of heat produced by these SSD chips differs by the type of memory chip used. However, it can be differentiated by the types of memory controllers or the price of the SSD.
Majority of the lower end memory controller produced by Taiwan?s manufacturer has good capability with different types of NAND chips. As such, man lower end SSD found on the market will use memory controllers from Taiwan?s based manufacturer and low end TLC based NAND chips. As the result, often these SSD will cause problems such as:

1.Drive suddenly disappear under Windows. Yet, appears again after reboot;
2.Sudden decrease in storage capacity;
3.Bad sectors;
4.Overheating;
5.Unable to write in data into the SSD; or
6.Loss of data.

As a guideline, if GPD users are looking to purchase these lower end SSD?s, If there are problem that occurred in GPD WIN 2, that are not the hardware of the Win 2 itself, GPD will not take any responsibility nor will do any repair for these problems caused by the SSD itself.

Currently on the market, there are not many choices of 2242 form factor SSD. GPD recommends brands such as Transcend, Lenovo, and ADATA. While Lenovo and ADATA uses Taiwan based memory controller, but they will not use NAND chips from unknown sources. Plextor is a Japanese brand, while they had been purchased by LiteON, their primary focus is on high end markets. Thus, Plextor?s SSD is recommended. SSD from other larger manufacturers can be used as well.

However, GPD do not recommend 2242 form factor?s SSD from these manufacturers:
1.LiteOn;
2.KingSpec;
3.Teclast;
4.Intel; and
5.Other SSD from unknown brands.

For Intel?s SSD, if there are problem occurred, they issues refunds. However, the refunds are only available in USD, thus not recommended for people outside of USA. For other brands listed above, warranty claim is almost impossible.

ruthan

« Reply #1818 on: January 12, 2018, 01:55:50 pm »
4.Intel; and

Why Intel? I wouldnt expect that they make garbage..

It definitely depends on county, here in middle Europe warranty works for every product.. unless local seller is corrupted and it usually means that it would be bankrupt (close) very quickly, "normal" retailers are safe and dont sell problematic brands products..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:59:51 pm by ruthan »

AVahne

« Reply #1819 on: January 13, 2018, 01:17:52 am »
4.Intel; and

Why Intel? I wouldnt expect that they make garbage..

It definitely depends on county, here in middle Europe warranty works for every product.. unless local seller is corrupted and it usually means that it would be bankrupt (close) very quickly, "normal" retailers are safe and dont sell problematic brands products..

The last paragraph explains why. They're saying that if there's any issues with Intel's stuff, getting a refund could be troublesome for people outside of the USA. So Intel's perfectly fine for North Americans, but less fine for everyone else apparently.

ICOYAR

« Reply #1820 on: January 13, 2018, 03:49:29 am »
This request might be late, but can GPD allocate an otherwise unused button for an Alt-Tab function instead of awkwardly having to press two buttons at the same time?

ruthan

« Reply #1821 on: January 13, 2018, 04:29:04 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtos2G44gTQ

Only important missing part is Android x86 - if controller is working, if GPU is working for games and if screen orientation is ok for all apps..

skelton

« Reply #1822 on: January 13, 2018, 04:44:46 pm »
Most probably the current functional win 1 android can ported easily to win2.
Retired

ruthan

« Reply #1823 on: January 14, 2018, 01:11:24 am »
The last paragraph explains why. They're saying that if there's any issues with Intel's stuff, getting a refund could be troublesome for people outside of the USA. So Intel's perfectly fine for North Americans, but less fine for everyone else apparently.

I dont think so, because nobody mortal is buying directly from Intel, but we all use retailers which have deals with Intel and refunds are fine, at least in Europe + North America, but in Asia should retailers exist too, but they could be more greedy or lazy..

ruthan

« Reply #1824 on: January 14, 2018, 01:15:02 am »
Most probably the current functional win 1 android can ported easily to win2.

GPD Win2 is quite expensive device for most probably.. but if it would be good Windows + Android combo, i would probably buy it.

In Phawx review i hear something about Lid mods and LTE card support, do someone know details about similar mods for  GPD Win 1. I would gladly pay extra for LTE modem, using phone Wifi hotspots is annoying and problematic.

R2112

« Reply #1825 on: January 15, 2018, 02:15:27 am »
#76 - can't wait

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
« Reply #1827 on: January 15, 2018, 02:26:52 am »
I was #19. 421 units already gone. Confirmed retail price is $899.
Discord now feels like it at New Year's eve :D.

R2112

« Reply #1828 on: January 15, 2018, 02:45:22 am »
I was #19. 421 units already gone. Confirmed retail price is $899.
Discord now feels like it at New Year's eve :D.
Good for you man! Christmas came really early this year lol!

Lockian

« Reply #1829 on: January 15, 2018, 03:30:28 am »
Order #685. Looking forward to it.

For GPD Win 1 owners how long did it take for GPD to release a driver pack for the device after release? I'm thinking early on I might customize a stripped back installation of Windows 10.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:33:41 am by Lockian »