Author Topic: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything  (Read 104992 times)

Phawx (OP)

Re: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything
« Reply #1125 on: July 07, 2017, 10:33:40 pm »
Any chance the Win 2 could have an OLED screen? H-IPS is nice, but OLED is definitely the absolute pinnacle of (current) screens, and I think it even uses slightly less power...
Probably too expensive, I doubt it.

Also it would ruin the sharpness due to the pentile pixel matrix.

OLED doesn't *need* to be pentile. The problem is many.

1.) GPD is going to want to buy a phone type of display but orient it landscape (horizontal) because phone displays are cheaper.

2.) Most OLED displays in phones are super expensive even in bulk and aren't large. The "cheapest" OLED is 5.5".  The ones used in OnePlus, Moto Z2 play, OPPO, etc.

3.) GPD win needs a 720p ish screen.  Going higher in resolution is actually much worse which all of these 5.5" screens are.

There is one OLD panel that would fit the bill but it's too large :( The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7.

7.7" 1280x800 FULL RGB Stripe OLED.

But that screen was in a device that is 5 years old now.  So I doubt it would be easy to get in bulk.  PLUS it's 7.7"  Just way too big.

OLED def isn't going to happen.

illuminerdi

« Reply #1126 on: July 07, 2017, 11:47:59 pm »
Fair enough. I'm a little surprised there aren't any 5in - 6in OLED 720p screens floating around, but I suppose that's just how the panel market is...

I'm definitely not a fan of increasing the screen size! Thanks for clearing that up.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

MOFO

« Reply #1127 on: July 09, 2017, 08:36:40 pm »
There are ways to increase screen size without actually making the Win bigger like reducing the boarders around the screen.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #1128 on: July 10, 2017, 12:17:17 am »
I think the plan is for a 6" screen from the last bits of info we got.  basically the depth will be the same but the width will increase by 5mm. So if that remains, it's probably enough for a  6" screen

Phawx (OP)

« Reply #1129 on: July 10, 2017, 12:37:39 am »
I think the plan is for a 6" screen from the last bits of info we got.  basically the depth will be the same but the width will increase by 5mm. So if that remains, it's probably enough for a  6" screen

Yea, I'm think the screen will be 6" as well.

MOFO

« Reply #1130 on: July 11, 2017, 04:14:26 am »
@Phawx
Just seen your Vanquish video and the Win ran it better than I thought it would, not great but....any chance you can try it on your core M tablet?
Don't need to do a video or anything just what we can expect at 720p.
It would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:16:10 am by MOFO »

nmkd

« Reply #1131 on: July 13, 2017, 07:44:36 am »
@Phawx
Just seen your Vanquish video and the Win ran it better than I thought it would, not great but....any chance you can try it on your core M tablet?
Don't need to do a video or anything just what we can expect at 720p.
It would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously this is only a rough estimation method, but you can figure out the theoretical GPD Win 2 performance by just doubling the FPS (or multiply it with 2.2).

Phawx (OP)

« Reply #1132 on: July 15, 2017, 10:19:04 pm »
@MOFO

If you go to the 4:33 mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1do_iH1zZqE

I'm running this at 512x288.  And in the same exact scene at 512x288 on the 7Y30 I get ~29-31FPS

I also increased the resolution to 960x540 and was getting 24-25FPS.

I'd wager that the sweet spot for most games on 7Y30 is going to be 768x432.  Meaning at 768x432 I'd still get the same frames as running at 512x288.

All of these tests were run at 7w.  My tablet is incapable of sustaining 15w without throttling.  Additionally, CPUs stayed locked at 1.1Ghz and GPU averaged at 700~mhz.  If I could run at 15w, we could probably go up in resolution a bit or just get better frame rate, as I still haven't been able to reach 900Mhz GPU ceiling.

MOFO

« Reply #1133 on: July 16, 2017, 04:53:05 am »
@MOFO

If you go to the 4:33 mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1do_iH1zZqE

I'm running this at 512x288.  And in the same exact scene at 512x288 on the 7Y30 I get ~29-31FPS

I'd wager that the sweet spot for most games on 7Y30 is going to be 768x432.  Meaning at 768x432 I'd still get the same frames as running at 512x288.

All of these tests were run at 7w.  My tablet is incapable of sustaining 15w without throttling.  Additionally, CPUs stayed locked at 1.1Ghz and GPU averaged at 700~mhz.  If I could run at 15w, we could probably go up in resolution a bit or just get better frame rate, as I still haven't been able to reach 900Mhz GPU ceiling.

Thanks for that, what's that utility tool called again and is there a guide for how to use it?

nmkd

« Reply #1134 on: July 16, 2017, 08:12:22 am »
@MOFO

Thanks for that, what's that utility tool called again and is there a guide for how to use it?
Intel XTU.

nekorin

« Reply #1135 on: July 16, 2017, 01:35:45 pm »
Got my GPD Win yesterday. Am really happy with it currently, aside from the D-pad which reminds me of a cheap gamepad knock off.

A suggestion for usability. For mouse-mode, the current setup is L1/L2 are left clicks and R1/R2 are right clicks. I would suggest to change it to:

L1 - Shift key
L2 - Left click
R1 - Alt or Ctrl key
R2 - Right click

Reasoning is as follows:

GPD Win is the kind of device where users have to use their thumbs to type on the keyboard. It is quite a hassle to type key combinations like caps, or access menus and frequently used hotkeys like Shift+ Ctrl+ S/C/V/X , or Ctrl+Alt+Del  for task manager. Associating a couple of these keys to the shoulder buttons make it really user friendly, making typing on the already small keyboard much much better to use.

For the D-pad, it will be really great if the D-pad has a much better membrane and shaped inwards like PS-Vita's. Their's are a lot easier to press and give lesser user input errors than what GPD win has currently, which matters greatly in directional input sensitive games such as fighting games.

nmkd

« Reply #1136 on: July 16, 2017, 03:36:17 pm »
Got my GPD Win yesterday. Am really happy with it currently, aside from the D-pad which reminds me of a cheap gamepad knock off.

A suggestion for usability. For mouse-mode, the current setup is L1/L2 are left clicks and R1/R2 are right clicks. I would suggest to change it to:

L1 - Shift key
L2 - Left click
R1 - Alt or Ctrl key
R2 - Right click

Reasoning is as follows:

GPD Win is the kind of device where users have to use their thumbs to type on the keyboard. It is quite a hassle to type key combinations like caps, or access menus and frequently used hotkeys like Shift+ Ctrl+ S/C/V/X , or Ctrl+Alt+Del  for task manager. Associating a couple of these keys to the shoulder buttons make it really user friendly, making typing on the already small keyboard much much better to use.

For the D-pad, it will be really great if the D-pad has a much better membrane and shaped inwards like PS-Vita's. Their's are a lot easier to press and give lesser user input errors than what GPD win has currently, which matters greatly in directional input sensitive games such as fighting games.
Just use Controller Companion for your custom mouse mode.

Phawx (OP)

« Reply #1137 on: July 16, 2017, 03:47:33 pm »

I'm assuming you're asking about Gedesato.  This utility allows you to set arbitrary resolutions for DX9 games only.  It won't work on DX10/11/12

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?page_id=582

There is documentation in the installer itself.  It's sort of obtuse but when you understand how it works, it's pretty simple.

Phawx (OP)

« Reply #1138 on: July 17, 2017, 08:07:37 pm »
I think I'm just going to record myself destroying that broken GPDwin I have.  Anyone have any suggestions? :D

vcoleiro1

« Reply #1139 on: July 17, 2017, 11:57:17 pm »
I think I'm just going to record myself destroying that broken GPDwin I have.  Anyone have any suggestions? :D

Whats wrong with it?

P.S  Might send you a PM about gearbest, have a check of your inbox

Post a new topic
Post a new topic