Author Topic: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything  (Read 95339 times)

exorio

Re: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2017, 05:25:18 pm »
I think I posted this before but I don't remember where, whether it's here or somewhere else;

I never realized that the mouse mode is quite clever solution for FPS games. It behaves just like an xbox first person shooter, with right thumbstick acted as "mouselook".

Nevertheless, it's a really hell to play FPS games with gamepads though. Specially some PC FPS don't give the aiming helper option (specially those that don't provide controller option).

Directinput also pretty much useless with software like joy2key or xpadder. Older games can use those.

Mouse mode is quite redundant too, since the win is equipped with touchscreen.

And who would want to work/do serious tasks with the joystick? You might as well plug in or carry around a wireless mouse.

They can cramp in couple of useful stuffs inside instead of the controller switch.

Right now, with the current setup, it seems like they're trying to facilitate and accomodate every niche/type of PC gamer out there.

I would want a proper gamepad, with clicky joysticks and home buttons (although to be honest I never used the home button on my xbox controller anyway) like those found in PSx and Xbox controllers.

Stereo speakers are also overkill for this device. Mono should do it. If people do want better audio experience, they can use headsets/earphone.

Also the fan isn't necessary, they should've build like those windows 10 tablets in mind. That'll give more space within to work on better features (probably bigger battery/capacity).

The fan was added as an afterthought, like band-aid to this thing. The original design was fanless.

I don't mind a bit slower but cooler and much more stable CPU.

MicroUSB for charging would be great.

Yes it's a stepdown from USB-C but now just because of GPD Win I have to carry around 2 different cables. You don't see type-c much devices around even lately, yet. And just use the microusb for charging only. I never use the type-c port for anything else than to charge the device.

The screen was great as it is. Perfect. But however the build quality was a bit letdown, since mine wasn't properly attached to the shell, and popped out on the lower right corner.

TL:DR

I don't need new redundant features, I want better build quality overall, much more polish and thoughts invested in and stricter quality control.

Maniac

« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2017, 06:41:56 pm »
Stereo speakers are also overkill for this device. Mono should do it. If people do want better audio experience, they can use headsets/earphone.

You've never used a Shield Portable, I guess. Stereo completely adds to the experience and is not overkill.

Also the fan isn't necessary, they should've build like those windows 10 tablets in mind. That'll give more space within to work on better features (probably bigger battery/capacity).

The fan was added as an afterthought, like band-aid to this thing. The original design was fanless.

I don't mind a bit slower but cooler and much more stable CPU.
Try turning your fan off and watch your temps. They'll just keep rising and you'll keep throttling. We have a fan for a reason.

MicroUSB for charging would be great.

Yes it's a stepdown from USB-C but now just because of GPD Win I have to carry around 2 different cables. You don't see type-c much devices around even lately, yet. And just use the microusb for charging only. I never use the type-c port for anything else than to charge the device.
Both my phone and the Win are USB-C now. I think you'll be finding that most devices from here on out use USB-C.

I think we all agree we want proper QC and good build quality.

exorio

« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2017, 07:17:56 pm »

You've never used a Shield Portable, I guess. Stereo completely adds to the experience and is not overkill.

No, but I do have Galaxy note with surround technology they really proud of or whatsoever.

If you're a real audiophile you wouldn't bother with tiny speakers no matter how good the implemented speaker technology was.

You'll want to isolate the surrounding noise and immerse completely in it. IOW you'll use top of the class headset/headphones.

Try turning your fan off and watch your temps. They'll just keep rising and you'll keep throttling. We have a fan for a reason.

Yeah the reason is : design flaw.

So many tablets out there can be fanless.

And the gpd win was originally fanless. Fan was an afterthought, quick solution. It wasn't thought out thoroughly.

Both my phone and the Win are USB-C now. I think you'll be finding that most devices from here on out use USB-C.

That's like an apple fan saying lightning is a standard and common for him/her.

Look around, microusb is far more common.

Type C probably will replace microusb, but currently, not yet.

Probably 5-10 years ahead before every phone in existence will be replaced with type c equipped port and becomes the real standard.

Faust

« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2017, 08:57:19 pm »

So many tablets out there can be fanless.

And the gpd win was originally fanless. Fan was an afterthought, quick solution. It wasn't thought out thoroughly.

Yes so many tablets are fanless and have thermal throttling to prevent to become fucking hot, and to keep an average battery life. Those many tablets aren't made as gaming consoles.

Even the big company like Microsoft or Nvidia didn't find a way to get the best performances without throttling or fan, it's not a rumor, it's a fact.

Gin2168

« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2017, 09:54:26 pm »

Lol...

Phawx (OP)

« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2017, 10:16:43 pm »
I made two videos showing off Kaby Lake 7Y30 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuNAF-VMVac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXakVUkMp28

I show the amount of power the chipset is using.  If a *proper* active heatsink was developed for the GPDwin2, I'd pay $600 with this chipset.

Going to make some more videos showing off this tablet.  If you'd like to see certain games running, let me know.

Also you can go into BIOS to set at 4.5 watts.  Right now it maxes out at 7 watts.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:21:15 pm by Phawx »

mickael28

« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:26 pm »
I was wondering, with the GPD Pocket this year, do you think there's any chance of getting a GPD Win 2 in 2017? or even 2018? Has GPD officially said anything?

Saber

« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2017, 11:52:32 pm »
I made two videos showing off Kaby Lake 7Y30 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuNAF-VMVac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXakVUkMp28

I show the amount of power the chipset is using.  If a *proper* active heatsink was developed for the GPDwin2, I'd pay $600 with this chipset.

Going to make some more videos showing off this tablet.  If you'd like to see certain games running, let me know.

Also you can go into BIOS to set at 4.5 watts.  Right now it maxes out at 7 watts.

Games to show off the 7Y30 might here would be Metroid Other M, Godzilla Unleashed, Soulcalibur II, Super Smash Bros. Melee and/or Brawl if possible, along with some PCSX2 emulation for God of War I & II, Twisted Metal Black, and/or Godzilla Save the Earth would be fantastic. :)

Saber

« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2017, 11:55:19 pm »
I was wondering, with the GPD Pocket this year, do you think there's any chance of getting a GPD Win 2 in 2017? or even 2018? Has GPD officially said anything?
They've officially said there will be a Win 2 but the details or release date are as of yet unconfirmed.

Neuromant1991

« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2017, 11:56:51 pm »
@exorio
I strongly disagree with some of the points you made
First of all, mouse mode on GPS Win is absolutely a lifesaver.
With it and keyboard, I replaced my 13" laptop with the Win and now use it not only for play but also for work
I can process the data from the experiments while on the Tube.

About the fan, it is true that the original design was fanless. The original design also suffered from serious overheating, that is why the fan was added.
Fan really helps the GPD Win a lot and removing it (especially if they replace the processor with something more powerful) would be akin to shooting oneself in the leg when preparing to run a marathon. The most counter-productive thing ever to do. Not that the original Win would have benefitted from a lack of fan.
But this topic anyway is about discussing things to add to a hypothetical and more powerful GPD Win 2 rather than about crippling the currently existing device.

And USB-C.. I think we should opt for more companies adopting technologies of the near future rather than desperately trying to cling to the past :)

@Phawx
I have never played any of the games that @Saber posted, can you try test-running Metro Last Light at low settings?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:07:52 am by Neuromant1991 »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2017, 12:20:52 am »

I'd say almost zero chance of a 2017 release.

My guess would be 2019 for WIN 2.  Next year should be the XD2

Neuromant1991

« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:47 am »

In that case, our discussion here is pretty pointless, outside of the "fix the keyboard, make the sticks clickable" thing
In 2 years' time, multiple generations of processors may be born

But I don't think things are that bad, because Wade was here and discussed 7y30
If they were planning Win 2 no earlier than 2019, there would be no point in talking about 7y30 because by that time the processor would be more obsolete and outmatched than fairly recent z8750 is today. If they were planning a release in 2019, by that time there would be new processors in M-series, there would be entire new series altogether and a device with 7y30 costing over $600 would be a blatant rip-off :)

AVahne

« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2017, 12:30:16 am »
Hm, after seeing the price of the Teclast X5 PRO when NOT on a sale, the GPD Win 2 with those proposed specs at $600 doesn't seem too bad at all. You're getting those specs in a far smaller package than you'd see anywhere else. Especially when comparing this price to UMPCs from the old days, which went for $1000-2000+.
Really hope they don't fark up the keyboard this time though.

AVahne

« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2017, 12:31:39 am »

I'd say early 2018 for Win 2 and XD2 really should release this year.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2017, 12:38:48 am »
Mid 2015 GPD launched the XD.   

In march 2016 they had concept designs made for the XD2. See here (click the link for images)
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/gpd-xd2/

Now GPD say the XD 2 will probably come in 2018. ie 3 years from XD launch to XD2 refresh

Yes, they can talk about it now, but as with the XD2, it will be some time off IMO. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:43:02 am by vcoleiro1 »

Post a new topic