Author Topic: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything  (Read 258080 times)

cmvrgr

Re: GPD Win 2 features and suggestions to improve everything
« Reply #1300 on: October 10, 2017, 07:10:04 am »
Dreaming is the best option to find out in what cpu will be included to  Pocket 2 and Win 2.

Hope to see ultra low voltage ryzen cpu as Intel dropped out from the mobile cpus.

For me buy a win1 and  pocket 1 now because gpd will need more time to handle better the thermals in a so small chassis it will need at minimum 2 years in designing.

It took almost 2 years to bring pocket to the market after win with the fact that they are using the same hardware.  Imagine what will happen for a new one cpu.

Send by GPD WIN with Tapatalk
2 years for the Pocket?
Got a source on that?

Also, it's not like the Win 2 isn't already in development.
I bought a win on January 2016 and pocket made available in market on October 2017 is almost 2 years.

You can check the campains. Maybe they have a date.

Gpd win:

The Win was their first Windows device and took 1 year, I don't think the Win 2 will take much longer.
It depends from the CPU that they well use.

UMPC Devices or Small Sized Windows Computer: Gigabyte M704, OQO, Viliv N5, GPD WIN

Neuromant

« Reply #1301 on: October 10, 2017, 01:18:14 pm »
Dreaming is the best option to find out in what cpu will be included to  Pocket 2 and Win 2.

Hope to see ultra low voltage ryzen cpu as Intel dropped out from the mobile cpus.

For me buy a win1 and  pocket 1 now because gpd will need more time to handle better the thermals in a so small chassis it will need at minimum 2 years in designing.

It took almost 2 years to bring pocket to the market after win with the fact that they are using the same hardware.  Imagine what will happen for a new one cpu.

2 years for the Pocket?
Got a source on that?

I bought a win on January 2016 and pocket made available in market on October 2017 is almost 2 years.

Gpd win:

Sorry, but I think you are wrong. The graph you posted shows that it was impossible to buy GPD Win in January as it was in development. Only pre-order. GPD Win was released to the public when, in September? October?
And yeah, Pocket, start to finish, was way faster.
The info on it started appearing in January and February,  as I remember, and half a year later, it is a finished product.

cmvrgr

« Reply #1302 on: October 10, 2017, 01:24:55 pm »

2 years for the Pocket?
Got a source on that?

Gpd win:

Sorry, but I think you are wrong. The graph you posted shows that it was impossible to buy GPD Win in January as it was in development. Only pre-order. GPD Win was released to the public when, in September? October?
And yeah, Pocket, start to finish, was way faster.
The info on it started appearing in January and February,  as I remember, and half a year later, it is a finished product.
Anyway the pocket released to the market after one year and 10 months after the GPD WIN . This iswhat I am counting with almost the same CPU and board it took 1 year. I will very happy to see a new win2 and  pocket2 with 4g and upgrated cpu etc next summer. If they manage to find out what they will do with the CPU. I have already bought many umps and I am afraid to see them stopping again. GPD is our only window to the umpc world and I hope to find a solution.

UMPC Devices or Small Sized Windows Computer: Gigabyte M704, OQO, Viliv N5, GPD WIN

SquidwardTentacles

« Reply #1303 on: October 10, 2017, 05:02:52 pm »
I doubt it would take as long as either.

The pocket took less time because it was similar to the win and the win 2 is likely to be similar to both.

They have more experience and spare parts than ever before. I wouldn't be surprised if they use the display half of the pocket entirely, and just make a modified body.

But I don't know jack about manufacturing so I'll zip it now.

Neuromant

« Reply #1304 on: October 10, 2017, 05:52:57 pm »
@cmvrgr
But your premise is wrong. GPD Win was released in October 2016: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPD_Win
And Pocket was released just one year later. All the while they were making updates for the Win. It is not a 2-year gap, neither it is a 1 year + 10 months gap, it is a 1 year +/- 1 month gap.
I don't think they can even afford to spend over a year without releasing a new product. It is just not good for them financially. Maximum of what they could do is wait a month for a better processor to come along.

cmvrgr

« Reply #1305 on: October 10, 2017, 07:53:14 pm »
@cmvrgr
But your premise is wrong. GPD Win was released in October 2016: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPD_Win
And Pocket was released just one year later. All the while they were making updates for the Win. It is not a 2-year gap, neither it is a 1 year + 10 months gap, it is a 1 year +/- 1 month gap.
I don't think they can even afford to spend over a year without releasing a new product. It is just not good for them financially. Maximum of what they could do is wait a month for a better processor to come along.

Anyway I would like to say that they had already the motherboard and CPU from GPD WIN and they just made some modifications it took a year from the release date of my GPD WIN.

If they had the power in a year to use a  better CPU in GPD POCKET they would do it but they didn't and for me this explains many things. That was the larger disappointing part  for me.

GPD is a small company not a powerful  company like dell, hp etc. GPD does not have the resources and that was the reason why they go with crowdfunding in every project. They needed our money to support the project and I will do it again because it is minimizing the risk for so niche market targeted products.

I am  not so sure that they have the technical expertise and RND required to be super fast in the release of win2 and pocket 2 in a new CPU platform and keep the same super small chassis ratio.

As an UMPC user I am more interested in POCKET2 and not WIN2 and I am not very sure if win2 has the same sales volume (and imagine a big portion of  buyers like me was UMPC users and not gamers). I believe that if they had released at the same time WIN and POCKET pocket would take even more sales from gamers too. Bigger screen is very important even for gaming. 5.5" is small for every day usage scenarios. I was forced to buy GPD WIN because I needed a new umpc for my needs and that was the only option available to replace my 4.8" Viliv N5 the current time.

As we seen for the history of both devices buyers were  more interested  for POCKET and that was very clear from the huge difference in crowdfunding in favor of pocket (WIN $719,623 USD - vs -  POCKET $3,561,414 USD).

Do not forget that business users or casual users are greater in number in comparison to gamers and especially retro gamers as in WIN you can not play the latest PC titles but only the older ones.

Maybe they should make one device that it will differentiate with minor modifications for personal use and professional use with some extras like  4G/LTE and more storage.

For me the wiser way to go is to buy a pocket and give the win to a person that is playing games and just wait the 1 to 1.5 year to see a new pocket.

If they will not find a solution with a new cpu maybe those devices will be the last of keeping those tiny dimensions.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:58:46 pm by cmvrgr »

nmkd

« Reply #1306 on: October 10, 2017, 09:10:10 pm »
@cmvrgr

Anyway I would like to say that they had already the motherboard and CPU from GPD WIN and they just made some modifications it took a year from the release date of my GPD WIN.

If they had the power in a year to use a  better CPU in GPD POCKET they would do it but they didn't and for me this explains many things. That was the larger disappointing part  for me.

GPD is a small company not a powerful  company like dell, hp etc. GPD does not have the resources and that was the reason why they go with crowdfunding in every project. They needed our money to support the project and I will do it again because it is minimizing the risk for so niche market targeted products.

I am  not so sure that they have the technical expertise and RND required to be super fast in the release of win2 and pocket 2 in a new CPU platform and keep the same super small chassis ratio.

As an UMPC user I am more interested in POCKET2 and not WIN2 and I am not very sure if win2 has the same sales volume (and imagine a big portion of  buyers like me was UMPC users and not gamers). I believe that if they had released at the same time WIN and POCKET pocket would take even more sales from gamers too. Bigger screen is very important even for gaming. 5.5" is small for every day usage scenarios. I was forced to buy GPD WIN because I needed a new umpc for my needs and that was the only option available to replace my 4.8" Viliv N5 the current time.

As we seen for the history of both devices buyers were  more interested  for POCKET and that was very clear from the huge difference in crowdfunding in favor of pocket (WIN $719,623 USD - vs -  POCKET $3,561,414 USD).

Do not forget that business users or casual users are greater in number in comparison to gamers and especially retro gamers as in WIN you can not play the latest PC titles but only the older ones.

Maybe they should make one device that it will differentiate with minor modifications for personal use and professional use with some extras like  4G/LTE and more storage.

For me the wiser way to go is to buy a pocket and give the win to a person that is playing games and just wait the 1 to 1.5 year to see a new pocket.

If they will not find a solution with a new cpu maybe those devices will be the last of keeping those tiny dimensions.
They've already found a CPU solution lol

Core M it is

cmvrgr

« Reply #1307 on: October 10, 2017, 09:48:36 pm »
@cmvrgr

Core M it is

I hope so to have  found one that will allow to  be charged as a smartphone with simple power banks and phone chargers because it will lose the true mobility otherwise.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #1308 on: October 10, 2017, 10:25:35 pm »
OH HO HO.  The plot thickens!

It seems I miss interpreted this post when I first saw it.  I thought it was about a new AMD SOC.   

Can I just say, that the slide and picture look fake as fuck.   If it's a real slide, it's shot in such a way to be missleading.  It also looks to be blurred out in spots.   I give it zero credibility

nmkd

« Reply #1309 on: October 10, 2017, 10:27:02 pm »
@cmvrgr

Core M it is

I hope so to have  found one that will allow to  be charged as a smartphone with simple power banks and phone chargers because it will lose the true mobility otherwise.

Yes, that's possible with a Core M.

monstercameron

« Reply #1310 on: October 10, 2017, 10:47:13 pm »

It seems I miss interpreted this post when I first saw it.  I thought it was about a new AMD SOC.   

Can I just say, that the slide and picture look fake as fuck.   If it's a real slide, it's shot in such a way to be missleading.  It also looks to be blurred out in spots.   I give it zero credibility
It's a real slide, but it's quite literal...
The guys name is probably vega. It was an employee appreciation event.

cmvrgr

« Reply #1311 on: October 11, 2017, 08:53:48 am »

It's a real slide, but it's quite literal...
The guys name is probably vega. It was an employee appreciation event.
Yes that is true is the person's name. Nothing to do with AMD Vega.

PRO86

« Reply #1312 on: October 11, 2017, 10:43:21 am »
I hope that L3 / R3 will be like on GPD XD, not like in the picture.
At one time, I chose the GPD XD because of the more successful layout of the L3 / R3 keys.

Neuromant

« Reply #1313 on: October 11, 2017, 11:35:21 am »
I hope that L3 / R3 will be like on GPD XD, not like in the picture.
At one time, I chose the GPD XD because of the more successful layout of the L3 / R3 keys.

We already know it will be like in the image.
They probably have good reasons for that positioning.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #1314 on: October 14, 2017, 02:01:04 pm »
If the GPD WIN 2 comes out with a core M3 etc etc as expected and retails for $499 or more, I feel it's diving into a niche market that can affoard that price.  I'm not sure it would sell as well as the current WIN.  Frankly I think it's getting too expensive

Thoughts?

cmvrgr

« Reply #1315 on: October 14, 2017, 02:06:23 pm »
If the GPD WIN 2 comes out with a core M3 etc etc as ecpected and retails for $499 or more, I feel it's diving into a niche mrket that can affoard that price.  I'm not sure it would sell as wellas the current WIN.  Frankly I think it's getting too expensive

Thoughts?
For a gaming machine yes. For an UMPC even 1000$ is fine.

I think that gpd should drop WIN2 and just make POCKET 2 as you have seen 700k $ was for gpd win the crowd funding (that a big % was umpc users like me and not gamers) and 3.5millions for pocket.

Regular and especially business users that need a UMPC can spend more that an average gamer and they are much more in pure numbers.

eragon2890

« Reply #1316 on: October 14, 2017, 04:06:38 pm »
If the GPD WIN 2 comes out with a core M3 etc etc as ecpected and retails for $499 or more, I feel it's diving into a niche mrket that can affoard that price.  I'm not sure it would sell as wellas the current WIN.  Frankly I think it's getting too expensive

Thoughts?
For a gaming machine yes. For an UMPC even 1000$ is fine.

I think that gpd should drop WIN2 and just make POCKET 2 as you have seen 700k $ was for gpd win the crowd funding (that a big % was umpc users like me and not gamers) and 3.5millions for pocket.

Regular and especially business users that need a UMPC can spend more that an average gamer and they are much more in pure numbers.

That might be fun for you , but I think I speak for all the gamers here who love the XD and the WIN when I say that I pray to god that GPD also , and mostly, keeps making cool android and windows gaming handhelds. They are the only ones who still make them, and I for one do NOT want that option to dissapear.

And I think the XD and the WIN sell good enough not to make that happen. =)

skelton

« Reply #1317 on: October 14, 2017, 04:18:06 pm »
If the GPD WIN 2 comes out with a core M3 etc etc as expected and retails for $499 or more, I feel it's diving into a niche market that can affoard that price.  I'm not sure it would sell as well as the current WIN.  Frankly I think it's getting too expensive

Thoughts?
I personally wouldn't buy it for 500 dollars, so for me it would be a no go.
Retired

cmvrgr

« Reply #1318 on: October 14, 2017, 07:52:40 pm »
I already have GPD WIN and I will buy a pocket to replace the WIN because of the smaller screen.

If you compare the price of Pocket to note 8 or iphone 8 that they cost double and can not run real full functional desktop applications POCKET is a bargain.

Pocket 2 if it will have  4G/LTE will be  superb.

I am tired of hearing that GPD devices are expensive. They are unique in the umpc world.

My workflow has very demanding applications with 3D applications, game engines and networking tools. GPD products are not the fastest but they are the only one in the market that are a perfect  companion when you are away from the office. No one can replace that ultra portability.

I would like to congratulate GPD and I am whishing the best. Is the only company that made our dream to come true after all other companies dropped out from UMPC manufacturing.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:01:45 am by cmvrgr »

siegel17701

« Reply #1319 on: October 14, 2017, 07:57:33 pm »
What is an alaina pocket?

Also, have you seen the video of a person using the Ipega 9023 with a GPD POCKET.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:59:08 pm by siegel17701 »