Author Topic: GPD Win 2 Big problems with build quality.  (Read 1453 times)

Radioboy86 (OP)

GPD Win 2 Big problems with build quality.
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:18:26 pm »
So I have a unit from the 2'nd batch and I noticed the ABXY buttons are not even in their height, the device's ABXY buttons are not as good as the Win 1 ABXY buttons. I decided to take my Win 2 apart and replace them with the Win 1 buttons. GOOD NEWS, the buttons fit and I just had to double up on my membrane to ensure contact. Here is my issue with the GPD Win 2 device... The plastic is so cheap that the security screw holes are falling apart... No joke the plastic is not good grade at all... It is fragile and weak...

I am also finding that the screws that are placed in the device are not tight and loose, they are not secure? It seems they are rushing these Win 2 devices and I want to warn you all. Right now I am rebuilding my unit and going to be creative in how I replace the screws. The device needs proper tightened screws, I also feel for the price the plastic should not feel like cheap recycled low grade plastic. As I took it apart the screw holes just broke into pieces like ash, soot. I paid $660 for my unit and it is 2'nd batch.

You guys need to be aware. Would I buy this again? Nope... No way... This quality should be in the $300-400 range at most! A proper laptop costs about the same as prices fall... Not sure about this guys... I was excited for this but not impressed... These NEW ABXY buttons are shipping with crap membrane and mis-shaped shells/button units...

*UPDATE*

So I have tried to deal with this unit and it is no use in trying to put this together. The plastic is so cheap! I used the exact proper tools I might add! This is a nightmare to take apart... The device's screw holes are falling apart like cheap made plastic. They are crumbling as if this plastic was not treated and cured for proper production. I took it apart and as I did so the cheap screw holes just broke apart as the screws must have been glued or seated inside the holes! The damn gold trimmed ground points/rings are falling/breaking loose from the PCB too! This is just a joke!

I have bought X2 GPD Wins and X2 GPD XD units and they are fine! I have replaced parts Dpads/buttons silcon membranes etc... So what gives with the Win 2?

This just sucks...

Tell me what grade plastic do they use in the GPD Win 2? I know that this plastic is not high grade at all! Not to mention the gold ground points in the circuit-board PCB are coming apart too?

My GPD Win 2 is trash now... I have to figure a way to secure all the screws that broke in the mounting holes, and I have to figure out what I can do about the gold ground points/rings breaking off too!

If you buy a GPD Win 2, never take it apart... The current revisions are not screwed right, the screws that are seated properly will break the plastic mounting pieces and the gold trimmed circuit PCB rings/grounds will break too... This is just poorly made and to be honest, I saw no aluminum casing. For something that costs what it does... This device is bullshit...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:54:42 pm by Radioboy86 »

DarkSki

Re: GPD Win 2 Big problems with build quality.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 04:11:55 am »
I'm sorry to hear that you are having these issues I have received my 3rd batch gpd win 2 and I have been using it constantly for the past couple weeks.

The buttons on mine are clicky and not mushy like the gpd win 1 have nice travel and work well with any game I threw at them.

The build quality was something I was quite impressed with and the plastic I hard and quite solid ... I have a sneaking suspicion that you have been provided an altered unit maybe one that shouldn't have passed inspection.

I would return this as soon as you can as I have not noticed any issues with my unit at all.

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 05:13:39 am »
Unless GPD sends me another unit for all the shit I have dealt with... I am done... Just look at that cheap plastic they used! The barring for screws broke like cookie crumbles... CHEAP PLASTIC...

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 05:18:06 am »
I warn you guys do not take your GPD Win 2 apart... it is NOT like the GPD Win 1... Fully dissembling it will cause major issues... If the Dpad and buttons need replacing, you may end up with broken plastic mounting holes and the GPD Win 2 will never close up again... You will ruin the device, thanks to GPD using the cheapest plastic I have ever seen...

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 06:16:43 am »
So I am so upset that I am selling both my Wins and my XD units... I am just done with GPD forever!

kendyzhu777

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:58 am »
Dear Trampus,
As I told you before, you can send this to us and we will repair for you, but you stingy the postal money don't want to send.
We don't know what have you done with your unit, thousand user was disassemble their unit, but only your unit shell was smashed...
Anyway we still can do warranty for you even you bought it as second hand, like always we did, you can send your unit back to us we can repair for you, but we will charge what was damaged by man.
Please also check with first owner with this as your bought unit as second hand.

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 11:17:21 am »
3 hours later, I have taken the damn thing apart and see the last owner, messed with stuff and damaged some things. This unit has been abused... I spent $660 on this... Please. Help... Me...

The previous owner that sold this to me has messed with this unit guys, I see black marks and damage on the corners of the PCB for the joystick. I think this had fan issues and the little joystick PCB overheated. There is black marks all in the PCB and the corners are burnt. The main CPU seems to be fine however. I tested it and the mainboard looks perfect. The LCD is perfect too. The joysticks were not even connected to the ribbon cable.... This guy sold me his broken unit! I am so pissed, the Ebay account has been removed and it says this seller may have been a scammer! Man, this sucks guys. I paid $660 for this piece of crap. The only 2 things that look okay and working are the 7Y30 Mainboard+Fan and the LCD panel... The shell has dings, the joysticks are not connected, the wifi is disconnected, the screws/holes are rounded out because of this idiot too! The dpad and buttons are all messed up and the membrane has sticky grease on them? The keyboard seems looser than it should be... I mean it seems that this unit is parts only! The 7Y30 mainboard looks clean, no black marks like the other PCB with joysticks.The LCD is perfect no scratches and no dead pixels... It also seems the shell has also been dinged up on the creases where it comes apart. The SSD tested on my other system perfect. So basically my unit is parts... These are the only parts I know are good.

1. 7Y30 Mainboard CPU/GPU
2. LCD panel / No damage / Works fine.
3. The keyboard and some other parts may be salvagable...
4. 128GB SSD is fine and works

X-The small PCB that controls the DPAD buttons / Analog sticks : Looks... damaged...
X-Parts of the shell/housing/screws : Plastic is all broken up + Joysticks are disconnected + wifi card is disconnected/etc...

Is this worth the parts? Could you sell me a NEW/TESTED retail unit for a good deal if I sent this in for you to use for parts and repair? I do not want this UNIT! This unit needs surgery!

So will you just scrap my unit? Can you send me a tested NEW DIFFERENT model one? My unit is just basically for parts, The 7Y30 mainboard looks good/fan looks good/LCD is good/Other stuff is not good. The last owner may has messed with stuff, I think that is why my unit had so many issues. What can you do for someone like me in my position? The most expensive parts are the LCD and the 7Y30 Mainboard connected to the fan right? So how much would you charge me if my unit was just for parts and you scrapped it?

I wish I had known you would sell me one for $700, I spent $660 on this... I feel sick...
I really want a NEW unit, I can pay the difference. I just need an idea.
Is this even worth it?

UPDATE

Kendy, I know what is going on now... The last owner that sold this to me has screwed me... Basically I need to know if it is even worth it to send it... I know that 3 main parts are fine and work... The others are unknown and there is a lot of plastic and strange marks in the shell/case. This guy did something to this unit... I tested the Y730 mainboard and it works, the SSD works, the LCD is fine and not damaged... it works... SO, I have some parts that GPD can use and recycle into new good units, However my other parts are messed up, he disconnected the joysticks, and the PCB for the joystick is not good, I see black marks on the corners and black tint to the PCB... Maybe he swapped them with another GPD Win and now I am the luck loser that bought it... So what can I do? I do not mind paying to ship it... I just need to know how much getting a new unit will cost me. Like I said my 7Y30 Mainboard and LCD are perfect and the SSD is fine too, a few other parts are fine too, like the keyboard. The wifi is probably fine but he disconnected it for some reason. So how much would I still need to pay if I sent this in for GPD to use as parts?

*** 2'nd UPDATE ***

It seems my second hand unit was taken apart in an attempt to fix the bad button issues that are common, that is why my unit was all messed up... The last guy tried to replace the ABXY buttons and DPAD just like I was going to! That is why he sold it... He realized that the stock GPD Win 2 buttons/DPAD is not proper and was rubbing against the side holes of the shell's cut-out holes... That is the grinding noise! I knew it!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:13:44 pm by Radioboy86 »

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 11:23:54 am »
Guys, if you want a Win 2, buy from GPD DIRECT... AVOID EBAY!

I hope GPD can help me. This last owner messed up sooooo much crap

SONY

• !
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 11:41:51 am »
eBay buyers protection.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 04:41:15 pm »
I paid $660, so that was a good deal. So yeah, not really looking forward to buying another unit. GPD has so many issues... JXD android devices never had such issues... I may just get a proper gaming laptop.

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 05:10:58 pm »
*** UPDATE ***

SEE NEW POST ABOUT MAJOR ISSUES WITH MULTIPLE BUTTON PUSHES HERE

https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/gpd-win-2-owner's-do-you-have-button-issues/

GPD must fix this issue first. I am contacting them and maybe BATCH 4 will be the magic number? TO be honest I am done with them. The cost of this thing is a joke for the quality you get... I have been through 2 of these GPD Win 2 units... It has been a nightmare... They are rushing QC... Its a joke...

I have had many people report this button issue and for something that costs $700-900, this is a joke a sick joke...

Trust me, when you play Mario World or any game that require multiple gamepad buttons to be used/held... This device will eventually have it's buttons and or membrane break underneath the device... I can tell you this friend... NEVER TAKE IT APART. The plastic they used is so cheap it crumbles like cookies and the screw holes will be destroyed forcing you to never be able to reassemble the device again.

*** 2'nd UPDATE ***

It seems my second hand unit was taken apart in an attempt to fix the bad button issues that are common, that is why my unit was all messed up... The last guy tried to replace the ABXY buttons and DPAD just like I was going to! That is why he sold it... He realized that the stock GPD Win 2 buttons/DPAD is not proper and was rubbing against the side holes of the shell's cut-out holes... That is the grinding noise! I knew it!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:14:00 pm by Radioboy86 »

AVahne

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 05:46:06 pm »
Seems like you've had rotten luck. I've seen others take their units apart with no problems and my own unit has had no issues so far. I haven't taken it apart yet, but from what I feel of the unit so far it's built well.

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 05:58:35 pm »
Try this TEST and let me know if you still think your unit is worth the money... If you cannot play games effectively what good is spending $700-900 for something that cannot even control as good as my GPD Win 1 or JXD S7800B?

https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/gpd-win-2-owner's-do-you-have-button-issues/

The Mario RUN/JUMP test fails... I have had every seller on EBAY confirm that is WHY they are selling their GPD Win 2...
This is sad... We all wanted this to be proper and unless GPD will install the OLD Silcon and ABXY buttons from my GPD Win 1 parts... I am done... I am not buying a THIRD unit after all this crap.

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 06:17:18 pm »
Seems like you've had rotten luck. I've seen others take their units apart with no problems and my own unit has had no issues so far. I haven't taken it apart yet, but from what I feel of the unit so far it's built well.

If I cannot even play Super Mario World as effectively as my JXD S7800B or GPD XD / GPD Win 1... How the heck can I justify spending more money and time buying a THIRD GPD Win 2 unit?! You guys need to beware! Many sellers on EBAY selling their GPD Win 2 units are doing so ONLY because of this BUTTON issue... Multiple buttons being pressed down will lock and cause a grinding/cracking/rubbing sound against the unit's shell and holes where the buttons protrude. Seems the ABXY buttons are nothing like the shape of the old Win 1 unit and they are taller and uneven causing this issue... Such crap...  The A/B Buttons are the worst with this issue. The X/Y buttons are not that affected.

I bought 2 units and had thought about buying a THIRD in hopes of getting a proper one... I even bought one that seemed to be taken apart and modified... Now I see why the previous owner tried to modify it... He was trying to fix the DPAD and BUTTONS... This is not worth time and hassle if you play older games that need multiple buttons pressed at once... Games like Mario/Contra will suck and not be playable as they should be! Just a heads up guys.

MOFO

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 07:11:09 pm »
Sorry to hear about your bad situation, it?s one of the many reasons I never buy anything on EBay.
That was one of my biggest worries , that the price would not justify the potential problems , I know most people are mostly satisfied but geez man that really sucks.

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:36 pm »
It is not just EBAY, the issue with the buttons is in all units. Many people have yet to notice unless they play really specific games like Contra/Mario. When you need both buttons held down to run and jump and etc... Sadly I played with my Win 1 and the controls are just worlds and worlds better. The dpad is better too. GPD also used the XD dpad on the Win 2 and that was also a mistake... They should have used the z8700 revision/z8750 Win 1 dpad and buttons! Fools!

MOFO

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 09:12:27 pm »
Did not know the problems were that wide spread, its also another reason why I refuse to pay so much money for a Win 2.
Love the idea but not at that price.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:14:04 pm by MOFO »

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 09:15:14 pm »
People are not noticing... If you play Fallout 4 or some modern game... you will not notice the ABXY buttons. Those games do not operate the same way as the older games like Contra/Mario... Sadly I only play those... So this is a waste for me... I asked GPD to repair my unit and replace the GPD Win 2 silcon/pads/ABXY buttons with the GPD Win 1 unit's. I tried the GPD Win 1 buttons and they are WORLDS better and fit fine.

We will see if they take me serious... I am not happy. I own X2 GPD Win 1 units, and 2 XD units... I am done after this.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:16:54 pm by Radioboy86 »

AVahne

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 03:24:44 am »

If I cannot even play Super Mario World as effectively as my JXD S7800B or GPD XD / GPD Win 1... How the heck can I justify spending more money and time buying a THIRD GPD Win 2 unit?! You guys need to beware! Many sellers on EBAY selling their GPD Win 2 units are doing so ONLY because of this BUTTON issue... Multiple buttons being pressed down will lock and cause a grinding/cracking/rubbing sound against the unit's shell and holes where the buttons protrude. Seems the ABXY buttons are nothing like the shape of the old Win 1 unit and they are taller and uneven causing this issue... Such crap...  The A/B Buttons are the worst with this issue. The X/Y buttons are not that affected.

I bought 2 units and had thought about buying a THIRD in hopes of getting a proper one... I even bought one that seemed to be taken apart and modified... Now I see why the previous owner tried to modify it... He was trying to fix the DPAD and BUTTONS... This is not worth time and hassle if you play older games that need multiple buttons pressed at once... Games like Mario/Contra will suck and not be playable as they should be! Just a heads up guys.
Yeah, I wouldn't buy Chinese devices like this off eBay unless it's mega rare or something (like an iPega PG-9501, anyone have one of those?). Anyway, I've no issue with my unit's ABXY buttons at all. They're not uneven, and they're not poorly cast either. All the tolerances on my buttons are perfect and I have no issue playing classic Mario games with these buttons. You seem to have been unfortunate enough to receive only units from some bad batch that they made at some point.
That said, I do have issue with the DPad for Mario games, but that's the same issue with all of GPD's current products. I'll likely replace the membrane and the actual d-pad once people figure out the perfect replacement combo, like how a good replacement for the Win 1's dpad is the Wiimote membrane with the 3DS XL dpad.
Either way, I barely play any dpad intensive games anyway, so I'm not exactly in a rush.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:29:25 am by AVahne »

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 03:29:19 am »
DO NOT TAKE YOUR GPD WIN APART! YOU WILL BREAK IT AND NEVER BE ABLE TO REASSEMBLE IT! TRUST ME. THE PLASTIC BREAKS AND THE MOUNTS WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO PUT THE UNIT BACK TOGETHER.

Changing the DPAD and BUTTONS requires DEEP removal of all PCB/boards and parts... BEWARE! The plastic mounts and gold/rings that lock the screws in BREAK when doing this... The unit will not reassemble properly after.

Post a new topic