• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD Win 2 BATCH number / Info? Help?  (Read 3381 times)

Radioboy86 (OP)

GPD Win 2 BATCH number / Info? Help?
« on: July 04, 2018, 09:07:05 am »
Hey guys need help asap!

Is my GPD Win 2 unit's serial/model number 1'st / 2'nd / 3'rd batch? 
Please let me know guys, I need to know asap so I can exchange it.

So the wifi issues are NOT just software? You posted a video where the Wifi needed to be re-soldered with proper points? Are all 1'st batches like this? Are any 2'nd batches with this hardware wifi issue too?

vcoleiro1

Re: GPD Win 2 BATCH number / Info? Help?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:56:57 am »

I think ~ 10% of units prior to the last major batch had the WiFi issue.

When did you get yours?

Also, if you have the WiFi issue, you will soon know about it. If you have it, at some point the cursor will momentarily freeze and the WiFi will completely drop out and the system will say you have no WiFi card. ie it fails to detect it has a WiFi chip

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 11:07:25 am »
THANK YOU. Now I know what to look for when I get mine in the mail.

retroster

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 03:18:21 pm »

I think ~ 10% of units prior to the last major batch had the WiFi issue.

When did you get yours?

Also, if you have the WiFi issue, you will soon know about it. If you have it, at some point the cursor will momentarily freeze and the WiFi will completely drop out and the system will say you have no WiFi card. ie it fails to detect it has a WiFi chip

Is there an issue? Mine had that n o wifi issue 2-3 times now. Usually after reboot it works. Thats a mass defect? Not software? WHat options do i have?

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 06:22:44 pm »
You have to resolder it...

retroster

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:19:20 am »
yeah... not liking the sound of that no matter how easy it is to do

vcoleiro1

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 01:41:03 pm »
Here is the WiFi fix tutorial

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1EmF9KB5k" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1EmF9KB5k</a>

retroster

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 02:06:04 pm »
How often does it happen when the wifi cuts off?
I've had my WIN2 since mid-may and i have only encountered it 2-3 times just recently (within the last 2 weeks).
Given, I usually just play on emulators for a very short time, each time (30-45 mins).

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 05:26:48 pm »
From what I have gathered, the Wifi card will eventually unseat itself and need re-soldering if the unit has the defect... The solder is just weak on the units and needs re-application.

retroster

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 02:52:04 pm »
Mine is happening again now. It doesn't say I don't have a network card. Instead it first says it can't find a connection, then it says it doesn't have the network card driver so install one...

... is this the infmaous wifi issue for the Win2??

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 04:52:02 pm »
I do not know for sure, seek out help from current owners. I get my unit MONDAY. Hope all works out for you man. Can you solder?

retroster

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 07:54:59 pm »
I?ve never tried. My problem is more about having to open it up and mess with it. I don?t like that. Not to mention, I need to buy the soldering gun.

DougOnEarth

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 06:26:07 am »
Wow this is scary. I wonder what else in there has "weak" solder?

retroster

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 03:19:46 pm »
My Wifi hasnt been working for a day or two now... and i ordered a soldering gun...however I found a post on Reddit which says delete the 'Intel Dual Band Wirless AC 7265 driver' (instead of uninstalling it, I disabled it) and install 'Intel Proset Wireless Tool'. Now my wifi is working. Fingers crossed! I will post again if the wifi fails again...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:23:49 pm by retroster »

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 04:20:19 pm »
I really hope most of these issues are SOFTWARE only... Lets just try to make sure we collect data so determine what the main culprits are.

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 12:30:39 am »
So I have a unit from the 2'nd batch and I noticed the ABXY buttons are not even in their height, the device's ABXY buttons are not as good as the Win 1 ABXY buttons. I decided to take my Win 2 apart and replace them with the Win 1 buttons. GOOD NEWS, the buttons fit and I just had to double up on my membrane to ensure contact. Here is my issue with the GPD Win 2 device... The plastic is so cheap that the security screw holes are falling apart... No joke the plastic is not good grade at all... It is fragile and weak...

I am also finding that the screws that are placed in the device are not tight and loose, they are not secure? It seems they are rushing these Win 2 devices and I want to warn you all. Right now I am rebuilding my unit and going to be creative in how I replace the screws. The device needs proper tightened screws, I also feel for the price the plastic should not feel like cheap recycled low grade plastic. As I took it apart the screw holes just broke into pieces like ash, soot. I paid $660 for my unit and it is 2'nd batch.

You guys need to be aware. Would I buy this again? Nope... No way... This quality should be in the $300-400 range at most! A proper laptop costs about the same as prices fall... Not sure about this guys... I was excited for this but not impressed... These NEW ABXY buttons are shipping with crap membrane and mis-shaped shells/button units...

*UPDATE*

So I have tried to deal with this unit and it is no use in trying to put this together. The plastic is so cheap! I used the exact proper tools I might add! This is a nightmare to take apart... The device's screw holes are falling apart like cheap made plastic. They are crumbling as if this plastic was not treated and cured for proper production. I took it apart and as I did so the cheap screw holes just broke apart as the screws must have been glued or seated inside the holes! The damn gold trimmed ground points/rings are falling/breaking loose from the PCB too! This is just a joke!

I have bought X2 GPD Wins and X2 GPD XD units and they are fine! I have replaced parts Dpads/buttons silcon membranes etc... So what gives with the Win 2?

This just sucks...

Tell me what grade plastic do they use in the GPD Win 2? I know that this plastic is not high grade at all! Not to mention the gold ground points in the circuit-board PCB are coming apart too?

My GPD Win 2 is trash now... I have to figure a way to secure all the screws that broke in the mounting holes, and I have to figure out what I can do about the gold ground points/rings breaking off too!

If you buy a GPD Win 2, never take it apart... The current revisions are not screwed right, the screws that are seated properly will break the plastic mounting pieces and the gold trimmed circuit PCB rings/grounds will break too... This is just poorly made and to be honest, I saw no aluminum casing. For something that costs what it does... This device is bullshit...

SONY

• !
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 01:09:23 am »
tl;dr

I'm​ definitely getting a GPD Win 2 this year, so excited :D
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 02:28:00 am »
I would advise against it man. Your call but my 2'nd batch unit sucked!

Radioboy86 (OP)

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 06:19:01 pm »
UPDATE GUYS! I HAVE BEEN THROUGH 2 GPD WIN 2 UNITS AND I FOUND A SERIOUS ISSUE WITH THE BUTTONS!

https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/gpd-win-2-big-problems-with-build-quality/

If I cannot even play Super Mario World as effectively as my JXD S7800B or GPD XD / GPD Win 1... How the heck can I justify spending more money and time buying a THIRD GPD Win 2 unit?! You guys need to beware! Many sellers on EBAY selling their GPD Win 2 units are doing so ONLY because of this BUTTON issue... Multiple buttons being pressed down will lock and cause a grinding/cracking/rubbing sound against the unit's shell and holes where the buttons protrude. Seems the ABXY buttons are nothing like the shape of the old Win 1 unit and they are taller and uneven causing this issue... Such crap...  The A/B Buttons are the worst with this issue. The X/Y buttons are not that affected.

I bought 2 units and had thought about buying a THIRD in hopes of getting a proper one... I even bought one that seemed to be taken apart and modified... Now I see why the previous owner tried to modify it... He was trying to fix the DPAD and BUTTONS... This is not worth time and hassle if you play older games that need multiple buttons pressed at once... Games like Mario/Contra will suck and not be playable as they should be! Just a heads up guys.

jace888

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 02:57:29 am »
So do we have clarity on which model is which batch? Just got mine today from DX (8 August) but shipped late July 2018.

Post a new topic