• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Gearing up for the Win. Any suggestions and setup related tips and tricks?  (Read 2788 times)

bitersnake (OP)

Hello!

I've been a long time user of the GPD XD and have lately not found anything exciting happening in the native Android games space and decided to move to the Win.

I've ordered via AliExpress and am expecting my device to arrive this week and had a few questions.

I've seen a lot of discussion about people having to go deep into the system to make it more usable-- changing BIOS settings etc. Is this something that is absolutely necessary? Can someone pl point me to a guide so that I can find my way setting up the Win?

I tend to travel quite a lot and will mainly be looking to play some Fifa/ PES and a bunch of moderately old racing games-- nothing that I feel the device can't handle but I am quite concerned about the battery life-- is it reasonable to expect 3-4 hours of playing time on the Win?

Finally, I would appreciate to have some heads up on any peculiarities about this device that I need to be aware of and other recommended mods etc that might be worth trying for an optimum experience.

Not sure if there's much difference in the new batch and old but just wanted to also point out that this will be the newer Z8750 chipset device.

exorio

At least for me, I prefer stability over performance.

Tweaking on the software side (bios included) won't give you much difference, in fact you risk bricking your device.

Just keep your expectation realistic with this device. It's not core i7 with 1080.

It would suffice on, probaly 2010 and earlier games, also some 3D emulators. PPSSPP runs great, for example, let alone SNES9x.

I saw people actually attempted to run GTA V on this thing which is nuts and pointless.

bitersnake (OP)

At least for me, I prefer stability over performance.

Tweaking on the software side (bios included) won't give you much difference, in fact you risk bricking your device.

Just keep your expectation realistic with this device. It's not core i7 with 1080.

It would suffice on, probaly 2010 and earlier games, also some 3D emulators. PPSSPP runs great, for example, let alone SNES9x.

I saw people actually attempted to run GTA V on this thing which is nuts and pointless.

Hmmm..fair enough-- have ha enough of the constant tweaking and modding on Android that I am now just looking to enjoy some games on a decent device.

Frankly, though, I'm not big on emu but I'm not looking to play GTA V either. How do you reckon games like Fifa 14/15, Grid etc will run-- I've seen user videos with these games working at acceptable FPS but I'm not sure if such performance can be expected out of the box

Skelton-retired

Bios tweaks are not essential, but good for some emus like dolphin. About games, some.modern games work ok too, It depends how well are optimized. For example I am playing recent titles like umvsc3 fullspeed, or i am setsuna or caladrius blaze. It depends on how well games are optimized. Modern indie titles are playable Too most of them, and games from the ps3/360 era are very playable. I am playing for instance tales of berseria and runs at solid 30fps with 960x544 resolution. In terms of emulation, the biggest difference regarding gpd xd is mame, which is much faster on Windows, and dolphin. Pcsx2 is pretty unplayable in most titles and ppsspp is better, but not fullspeed in all games. My shield TV for xsmple runs ppsspp much better. Other emus like n64 are fine using project64, for dc use nulldc, and for Saturn ssf. For psx epsxe like in Android and for 8/16 bit I use retroarch.
Retired

exorio

Hmmm..fair enough-- have ha enough of the constant tweaking and modding on Android that I am now just looking to enjoy some games on a decent device.

Frankly, though, I'm not big on emu but I'm not looking to play GTA V either. How do you reckon games like Fifa 14/15, Grid etc will run-- I've seen user videos with these games working at acceptable FPS but I'm not sure if such performance can be expected out of the box

Made a list on this matter :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qmqUu2_RNmXOivihTxoFqpGzm1I_Tnv3kySYAHhukGw/edit#gid=0

Mostly I play indie games and emulators on this. People then added more and more AAA games on the list.

See whether you spot any games you want to play on the go there.

bitersnake (OP)

This is a good list- cheers!

Seems like anything circa 2000-2012 runs quite comfortably and that amounts to a massive prospective library of great games.

Does anyone have opinions on the Z8750 vs 8700 debate? I'm quite worried that a lot of tests show that the new 8750 devices are REMARKABLY slower in benchmarks than the previous batch and mine is going to be from the March 15 batch-- can anyone here who has a 8750 device weigh in on this?

exorio

Seems like anything circa 2000-2012 runs quite comfortably and that amounts to a massive prospective library of great games.

Some earlier games will have rotated screen problems though. Probably earlier than 2005.

People have found solutions for this matter but I just move on to selection of games that works out of the box on this thing.

midknight

i recommend to install touch mouse pointer the gpd has a mouse mode but some games act funny if you switch over in game so it helps to have this app installed to make clicking on small icons easier.

Faust

Or you can use controller companion for X-input, best software ever for keyboard and mouse control over X-input.

wilbr

I bought the Win for the same reasons as you... Really liked the XD, but not so into Android games. Remote gaming from my home PC  was great, but not so great when I wasn't near WiFi.

The Win has exceeded my expectations. I've been playing a bunch of older Steam games. Right now, I'm playing Pikimin via Dolphin.

So amazing for long flights! I bought a portable battery from Staples (Staples branded so it was cheap) and a USB/USB-C cable so the battery would last a lot longer.

I haven't updated/changed any of the original configs. I have a post Indiegogo unit.

Only issues that I have is that it often powers down when I have it in sleep mode. Not a big deal since it is always fast to boot up. The only annoying thing is that I have to make sure that my game is saved before I put it down.

midknight

hey thanks for the tip on controller companion i does make using the win controls more strait forward  but i would still recommend running touchmousepointer along side controller companion because there are some types of file operations that are just easier to do with touchmouse than it is to do with the thumb sticks.