• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Combining internal and external controllers into one  (Read 957 times)

Pleng (OP)

Combining internal and external controllers into one
« on: August 03, 2018, 04:12:28 am »
So I have my GPD Win set up with a ipega PG-9076 joystick permanently plugged into the back (well, the wireless receiver for the controller is, anyway) and split my time between gaming handheld-mode and gaming on the TV ("Switch" style...)

The problem I have is that these controllers are, obviously, identified as separate devices. This causes a variety of problems of varying annoyances... for example:

• When swapping between TV and handheld mode, I need to remember to switch the device ID of player 1 in Reto Arch - mildly annoying
  • When using the Sega Model 2 emulator, I need two different configurations for every game; one for built in controllers and one for external controllers - Quite annoying
  • Occasionally when Windows boots it decides to switch the index of the two controllers around - Very annoying
  • Sonic Mania just does whatever it wants and often refuses to acknowledge one or other of the controllers - Extremely annoying

What I really would love is a virtual joystick that will merge inputs from any controller into one virtual controller. Does anybody know if this is possible? It looks like vXbox may be able to acomplish this, but it also looks like I would need to code my own feeder which I really don't have the time to do. Does anybody else have any method of achieving this goal?

midknight

Re: Combining internal and external controllers into one
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 04:57:02 am »
Have you tried setting the win to keyboard mode then launching the game. That way only one xinput device shows up. I'm not sure how to do this but it may be possible to write a batch file that can temp disable the USB dongle. If all else fails you could switch to a controller that does xinput over bt.

baka-neko

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 02:23:47 pm »
I have a Win2 and when I want to play on the TV, I just switch to mouse mode, plug in the Xbox One mini dongle v2 (the short one), and use my Xbox One gamepad.

The cool thing is that the gamepad is detected as the first gamepad this way - just like the internal gamepad, because I switched to mouse mode first. So no issues with games, the same config works for both.

Also obviously, I can connect more Xbox One gamepads to play with friends!

Pleng (OP)

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:39:08 am »
Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.... I'll have to give that a go :)

Post a new topic