Author Topic: Remove mouse pointer on GPD XD  (Read 1071 times)

StatMat (OP)

Remove mouse pointer on GPD XD
« on: April 02, 2016, 10:48:55 am »
After some experimentation, I've discovered a rather hacky way of removing the android mouse pointer. As anyone else who has tried can attest, it's rather annoying having it as it moves out of sync with the pointers displayed in emulators like UAE4all2 and ScummVM. Be warned, this does involve altering a core system APK file, so make sure you backup the file before you proceed. You will need something like Root Browser (available here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.root.browserfree&hl=en) to alter this system file.

1. Take a backup of the /system/framework/framework-res.apk file onto your SD card
2. Take another backup of this file on your PC (just in case you need to restore later)
3. On your PC, open the APK as an archive with something like 7-Zip
4. Delete the /res/drawable-hdpi/pointer_arrow.png file
5. Copy the new APK back in to the /system/framework folder (without the mouse being connected)
6. Reboot system and you should no longer see the pointer when you connect the mouse

I have tested this method successfully with both stock ROM and Skelton's excellent new Legacy ROM. Both work fine for me. I wonder if Skelton might consider doing a pointer-free release at some point. ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:50:26 am by StatMat »
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."

skelton

Re: Remove mouse pointer on GPD XD
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 11:37:30 am »
I have never used mouse in XD, I don't think I include in next update, but good to know for the Marshmallow update or If do another one after the one I'll provide on Monday.
Retired

Pleng

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 07:43:52 am »
I wouldn't remove the mouse pointer by default in a custom ROM - could piss some users off!
If it could be switched on and off as an option then that's a different story.

StatMat (OP)

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 09:31:27 am »
I have never used mouse in XD, I don't think I include in next update, but good to know for the Marshmallow update or If do another one after the one I'll provide on Monday.

No worries bud. As it's such a hack, it's probably for the best anyway. Anyone who wants the same effect can follow the instructions. ;)

I wouldn't remove the mouse pointer by default in a custom ROM - could piss some users off!
If it could be switched on and off as an option then that's a different story.

Indeed, you're quite right. I think the main problem is that Google have not included a mechanism to disable the mouse pointer, hence my hack. I guess it may be possible to replace the image with a transparent one on the fly somehow. If so, this would indeed be a preferred method.
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."