Author Topic: The latest firmware of GPD game console  (Read 81844 times)

skelton

Re: The latest firmware of GPD game console
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2016, 07:00:32 pm »
No, firmware version is build number. For Retroarch, just use Ps3 mode with the gamepad app that comes with the device and device is autodetected (unless they broke something in latest nighlies)
Retired

Rcoltrane

« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2016, 11:34:55 am »
Oh, thanks for the information. My Firmware version is 3.4.7 so I guess it's up to date. Anyway, now I've got the Retroarch menu to work properly. I had to set the Gamepad app to PS3 mode and do a clear/close in the gamepad mapper (the button with a controller icon) inside Retroarch. After that the navigation worked just fine!

Now I'm tweaking some video settings and trying to get some games to work at full speed with the latest MAME core. Is there any way to increase the performance rather than replacing the firmware with that hacked ROM that overclock the system? I don't want to go that way because that firmware drains too much battery and heats up the equipment faster, so I guess it would reduce the GPD XD lifespam significantly. Thanks people! :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:36:40 am by Rcoltrane »

skelton

« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2016, 11:59:00 am »
 Forget about mame core in Retroarch. It's based on mame .174 and is too demanding for GPd XD. Even shield TV (which is the more powerful android device out) cannot handle it properly. For MAMe the best and almost only option is mame4droid 0.139 from google play store. And FBA core from Retroarch for other arcade boards.

If you are interested in Saturn emulation, forget it using your current firmware, since 3.4.7 uses new mali drivers that breaks uoyabause performance.  If you don't want to use custom firmware (I have a 1,4 ghz version just like your stock firmware), the best stock firmware is 3.4.2, since is the last one with the best mali drivers. But it's up to you and the things you need to emulate.

As far as I know, GPD won't probably release more firmwares for this device, and me neither. so those are basically your choices.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:04:49 pm by skelton »
Retired

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2016, 11:32:50 am »
Forget about mame core in Retroarch. It's based on mame .174 and is too demanding for GPd XD. Even shield TV (which is the more powerful android device out) cannot handle it properly. For MAMe the best and almost only option is mame4droid 0.139 from google play store. And FBA core from Retroarch for other arcade boards.

If you are interested in Saturn emulation, forget it using your current firmware, since 3.4.7 uses new mali drivers that breaks uoyabause performance.  If you don't want to use custom firmware (I have a 1,4 ghz version just like your stock firmware), the best stock firmware is 3.4.2, since is the last one with the best mali drivers. But it's up to you and the things you need to emulate.

As far as I know, GPD won't probably release more firmwares for this device, and me neither. so those are basically your choices.

Hi Skelton, just one question regarding firmware, is there any real improvements that could be achieved? I mean, the new mali drivers weren't so great. I'm still waiting for my XD to arrive, but i used the legacy rom for the G5A for more than 2 and a half years and i never had not even one single issue while i used it. Actually i always had this feeling that this device was running at the best way it could, so it seemed that there was no real improvement to be done.

skelton

« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2016, 11:36:12 am »
regarding mali drivers, we depend on Rockchip. New mali drivers are worse, but they are close source, so I can only add better drivers if rockchip makes them. supposedly GPD was going to do a Android 6.0 update. But for gaming is not really a great improvement, since mali drivers are also bad in android M, so prrobably GPD won't update it anymore.  I don't think there is no much to be done unless Rockchip provides new mali drivers or something extra. I think RK3288 is pretty much optimized in terms of performance. I want to take a look to the rom to see if I can optimize it a bit more, but I won't have a XD again until christmas (my brother hasit right now)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:38:36 am by skelton »
Retired

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2016, 11:56:58 am »
regarding mali drivers, we depend on Rockchip. New mali drivers are worse, but they are close source, so I can only add better drivers if rockchip makes them. supposedly GPD was going to do a Android 6.0 update. But for gaming is not really a great improvement, since mali drivers are also bad in android M, so prrobably GPD won't update it anymore.  I don't think there is no much to be done unless Rockchip provides new mali drivers or something extra. I think RK3288 is pretty much optimized in terms of performance. I want to take a look to the rom to see if I can optimize it a bit more, but I won't have a XD again until christmas (my brother hasit right now)

That's something good to know, Skelton. Sure it will be great if you can be able to squeeze a little bit more of performance. Hope your health is improving and getting better these days.

konpia

« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2017, 06:05:29 am »
Is the latest GPD XD firmware 3.4.8 legit?

DJM

« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2017, 03:16:26 pm »
Is the latest GPD XD firmware 3.4.8 legit?

It's legit because it has been uploaded on their official site (www.gpd.hk). I wonder what changes they made, I'm still using stock firmware v3.4.2 and some games don't work (i.e. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse) but they work on v3.4.7. However I don't want to use v3.4.7 because Saturn emulation is really bad with the new Mali drivers (hopefully in v3.4.8 they fixed the Mali drivers while keeping better compatiblity with some Android games). Anyone tested the new firmware?

skelton

« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2017, 04:10:11 pm »
I didn't tested because I don't have my XD with me, but I extracted it and the mali module is about 6 MG, so that means same mali drivers as 3.4.7. For shantae perhaps you can try GLTools and spoof the GPU to another one. (I didn't know that game was for Android, it seems listed only on amazon store for their android devices,)  the changes in 3.4.8 probably are very minimal because the firmware is not even listed here in the main account of the devs of GPD android firmwares....
https://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=389368662#category/type=0

I don't think Rockchip release new GPU userspace libraries for kitkat, because RK3288 has the same issues in Lollipop and 6.0 regarding mali (broken uoyabauase), so perhaps Rockchip fix it when they release a good Android M sdk for RK3288. But no idea if GPD will update to android M unless Rockchip improves their SDK, probably not.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:24:46 pm by skelton »
Retired

DJM

« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2017, 07:41:45 pm »
Thanks for all the infos skelton!  ;)

konpia

« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2017, 11:38:21 pm »
Thanks.

konpia